Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Olympic Trials this weekend?
Quote | Reply
The Olympic trials, or something like that, are this weekend in Hawaii. Does anybody know which elite athletes are starting and who do you think will be favored.

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure all of the top ITU pros will be there, due to the complicated nature of which the USA team spots are assigned to. The outright winner of this race gets a spot. The winner of a second race gets another spot. The third spot is based on the lowest combined score of 3 of the following: place in race #1, place in race #2, placing in a third race, and ITU ranking. Favorites on women's side probably Lindquist, Reback, and Taorimina (1,2,3 ITU), and Kemper on the men's side. Me, I gotta root for Andy Potts and Jessi Stensiland, both originally from NJ and friends of friends of mine (I'm an ex-swimmer).

I think the 2nd and 3rd races are in Bellingham and Spain, but not sure which was which, nor exact dates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not certain who the athletes in attendance will be but I will be there working for one of them as a bike fitter and mechanic.

I'm looking forward to it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [RSum716] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aside from Kemper, who are the other favorites on the men's side? I wonder if any of the Team Kinesys guys will make it.

>>I wonder if any of the Team Kinesys guys will make it.<<

Boy, I hope so! Great bunch of guys. I'm pulling for Victor Plata. It would be a great belated birthday present for him. He's been doing a great online diary of his preparations. Warning: Some of you may find it boring.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anybody know where a pro start list is posted? It's not on the event website nor the ITU site.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig Walton is racing, as it is an ITU race (though only open to the top 125 ITU ranked athletes) with a $50,000 purse. He will in all likelihood put several minutes into the field by the run, and it will be all over by then. But there will probably not be many top foreigners aside from Waldo. Hunter is the favorite for the top American, but several guys, including Potts, Fleishmann, Plata, Friman, and Wealing all have legit chances at beating Kemper. I agree that Plata's "100 Days" diary makes for great reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [RSum716] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bellingham Trials is June 13th - preceded by USAT PNW Regionals, Team Clydesdale age group race with $4999 n cash. www.trithecookie.com. I do the homestays - this is going to be a great race. Top canadians are coming as well as the usual suspects.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [ironotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will definitely be the best american's racing in Hawaii (Kemper, Potts, Flash, Plata, Fretta, Wealing). But i wouldn't be suprised to see Simon Lessing, Matt Reed and many others (as well as walton), that'll turn what looks like Kemper's second trip into one he'll have to work for (by them mixing up the race and all). Anybody have any predictions on who will make/win the olympics this year. I think Hunter has a legit shot at medaling, maybe even taking home something gold. The other american spots on the men's side will go to Potts and Flash, although Umphenour has a good shot as well as Fretta, Plata and Vifian.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [runswim1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm curious if it will be a wetsuit legal swim in honolulu this time of the year. this would really allow potts to take advantage of his swimming ability. w/o wetsuits, it should be him, walton, and maybe lessing putting an early gap on the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be rooting for Brian Fleishmann. Great guy that has some unbelievable talent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, they are all here in honolulu with swarms of runners sporting elite bike jersies burning by you on a 5 min run pace as you cruise around the park here. It's almost, remember I said almost, like kona before Ironman. Saw the U.S. team yesterday and I think the canadians are coming in a day or two. Met whitfield, damn he's skinny, think I have to loose 20 lbs or so. I believe that England will be here too and I know a couple of japanese showing up as well. There's even a guy from the Filipines although after getting smoked at our last local race out here I'm not sure if he's racing;)

Water has been chillier than normal but I doubt it's a wetsuit swim. Bike course should be really fun as the hill loop is tough but fast. One short but steep hill and a bunch of other long but moderate hills. Can't wait for this weekend. My local bike shop is also getting swamped with bike boxes with famous tri names on them. He has no idea whether to put them together or wait till he gets a call, it's actually kind of funny. And the local tri community is really abuzz about this race. 900 entrants so far in the age group race and even some prize money. Should be a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not certain who the athletes in attendance will be but I will be there working for one of them as a bike fitter and mechanic.

I'm looking forward to it.

Tom,

Don't forget to get up early and watch us "average old guys" :)

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [Larry Mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know I will be there- the guy with the big camera and the Bikesport T-Shirt on.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

Sorry to be dumb, but isn't the day of the frickin' olympic trials a little late to be fit on the bike???
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an article in today's Honolulu Advertiser on Laura Reback and a little on the ITU race:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/...Apr/12/sp/sp03a.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, I just noticed on the website start list that none other than one of ST's favorite poster girls, Lokelani M., will bless us with her presence. Who cares about Laura Reback?!?

If she passes me on the swim I may be in for my best 1.5 km time ever...

Tom, looking forward to meeting you in person. I'll be on top of that steep hill behind Diamond Head cheering the pros on!

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this race broadcasted? How about a live feed?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard something about it being broadcast in May (according to one of the race organizers). State of Hawaii threw in $50K on the race so there will be some type of TV coverage, but certainly not live. Don't know who will be showing it, I'd guess someone like OLN.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see you all on the beach - I'll be doing the announcing for the age-group race and working with an ITU announcer for the elite race - Beach start is the same place as the original ironman! Should be a great weekend. My picks are Sheila T. and Brian F. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard today that the dark horse is Michael Smedley. He's American and hasn't been training with the other Americans, and has been in Kona with Team Canada (who were swimming like dolphins in the Kona pool this morning). Smedley teamed up with others at the Lavaman tri, plus that group were still in serious training mode, not all out Olympic qualifier racing at that time. Wish I was going to get to see the races this weekend!!!

Quote | Reply
Smedley is tough! He spent 4 weeks down in Florida at the USAT National Training Center this winter. Great athlete, great guy, he does have a history of falling off his bike at big races (Dallas trials in 2000) Hope he can stay up in Honolulu.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, smedley fell at treasure island also this year. I was two people behind him when he crashed coming down a crazy hill which was on this tiny island right next to treasure isle. Smedley really could factor into the race if the swim isn't too fast. that boy can run, maybe not like whitfield, but it's the american trials....
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [runswim1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too funny, smeds is a good friend of mine and I remember him telling me a story about crashing on the gold coast on a ride with cole stewart's and the fat guy left smedley bleeding on the side of the road, or so the story goes..................I hope he has a great race as he's been training here in canada with the victoria crew and running some local running races where his times are fast................just has to put the whole thing together. Great guy
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Trials this weekend? [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why has he been hanging with the Canucks instead of Team USA?

Prev Next