Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Olympic Swimming Predictions
Quote | Reply
From the other thread:

My absolute lock is Murphy in the 100 back. Someone said "Mitch Larkin" Murphy went a 51.9 in a time trial last week. Ouch. Find a place to bet this because you will be hard pressed to find easier money. Your welcome in advance.

The US men are back in the hunt for the 4 x 100 free. They'll go under 3:10.

I like Ledecky's chances in thee 400 and 800 : )
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I like Ledecky's chances..."

Way to go out on a limb there ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that's the same time trial as the guys did the 4x1, I think the coach doing the timing might've had a quick finger.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope Henrik Christiansen will be close to a medal.
He has turned down both Cal and Stanford https://www.nrk.no/...tet-i-usa-1.13043253

Other than that maybe some Swedes can get back up to speed.

But I guess that the already dominate swimmers will do what they do best, swim fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
If that's the same time trial as the guys did the 4x1, I think the coach doing the timing might've had a quick finger.

Ehhh, so maybe he went a 52.1, not a 51.9. Oh well. I guess maybe his chances of going under 51 are only 50/50.

Have you heard about the potential mishap with the US and relay only swimmers? The FINA rule says, "If an NOC enters relay-only swimmers for a specific event, these swimmers must swim either in the heat or final of that relay event. Should a relay-only swimmer not compete, this will lead to the disqualification of the respective team."

The US entered all 6 guys and girls as relay-only in all 3 relays. The US assumption was that you only need to swim ONE relay to be cleared, not specifically every relay you entered. But the rule says it is specific to each event. This would mean, for example, Clark Smith HAS TO SWIM the 400 medley and 400 free relay. Here is the official entry sheet, notice no other countries entered all their relay-only guys this way:

http://www.fina.org/sites/default/files/men_final_5.pdf

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go out on a limb.

Phelps

More specifically - he wins more medals than 1/3 of the nations playing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Ehhh, so maybe he went a 52.1, not a 51.9. Oh well. I guess maybe his chances of going under 51 are only 50/50.

Have you heard about the potential mishap with the US and relay only swimmers? The FINA rule says, "If an NOC enters relay-only swimmers for a specific event, these swimmers must swim either in the heat or final of that relay event. Should a relay-only swimmer not compete, this will lead to the disqualification of the respective team."

The US entered all 6 guys and girls as relay-only in all 3 relays. The US assumption was that you only need to swim ONE relay to be cleared, not specifically every relay you entered. But the rule says it is specific to each event. This would mean, for example, Clark Smith HAS TO SWIM the 400 medley and 400 free relay. Here is the official entry sheet, notice no other countries entered all their relay-only guys this way:

http://www.fina.org/...iles/men_final_5.pdf

Something is wrong b/c they have the exact same 6 guys listed for both 4 x 1 and 4 x 2 relays, and that they are all Relay Only (RO). I did not see any listing for the medley relay???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

I like Ledecky's chances in the 400 and 800 : )

B.McMaster wrote:
I'll go out on a limb.

Phelps

More specifically - he wins more medals than 1/3 of the nations playing.

You are a day and a dollar short on that joke. Probably because you use your credit card too much : )
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Something is wrong b/c they have the exact same 6 guys listed for both 4 x 1 and 4 x 2 relays, and that they are all Relay Only (RO). I did not see any listing for the medley relay???

No that is the point Eric. The US has screwed up their entries. They misunderstood the rule and didn't seek clarification before entering.

(The 400 medley is on the last page. Not sure what you don't see). Same 6 guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

No that is the point Eric. The US has screwed up their entries. They misunderstood the rule and didn't seek clarification before entering. (The 400 medley is on the last page. Not sure what you don't see). Same 6 guys

OK, I found the medley on that last page, not sure how I missed it before. In any case, it appears that ALL of the countries' entries for all three relays are coded RO, so it would seem to me that perhaps the error is actually FINA's error???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were briefly talking about this during morning waterski.

I'd be surprised with a Canadian men's medal of any color. e.g Cochrane & Weinberger to bronze.
Men's 100M is too close to call, though I am predicting a USA repeat.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

OK, I found the medley on that last page, not sure how I missed it before. In any case, it appears that ALL of the countries' entries for all three relays are coded RO, so it would seem to me that perhaps the error is actually FINA's error???

Eric: do you see how Magnussen (AUS) is listed as a RO swimmer for the 400 free relay. That means he HAS to swim the relay in either prelims or finals. Do you see how Magnussen is NOT listed as an alternate in the 400 Medley Relay. This means he does not HAVE to swim the 400 medley relay. I am unclear if - by not having his name on the list - he cannot swim the 400 medley, but lets ignore that because at this point that isn't pressing. The US put every RO swimmer on the list for every specific relay. Australia and every other country only put them on the specific relay they are scheduled to swim. The US thinks that - as long as say Clark Smith swims one of the relays he is listed under - then they are in guidelines. But the rule states - quite clearly - otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

Men's 100M is too close to call, though I am predicting a USA repeat.

Do you mean you think Adrian is going to win the 100 freesteyle or that the US is going to get 2nd again in the 400 free relay?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Eric: do you see how Magnussen (AUS) is listed as a RO swimmer for the 400 free relay. That means he HAS to swim the relay in either prelims or finals. Do you see how Magnussen is NOT listed as an alternate in the 400 Medley Relay. This means he does not HAVE to swim the 400 medley relay. I am unclear if - by not having his name on the list - he cannot swim the 400 medley, but lets ignore that because at this point that isn't pressing. The US put every RO swimmer on the list for every specific relay. Australia and every other country only put them on the specific relay they are scheduled to swim. The US thinks that - as long as say Clark Smith swims one of the relays he is listed under - then they are in guidelines. But the rule states - quite clearly - otherwise.

Going out on a limb here... I bet the U.S. puts whoever it wants in whatever relay it wants.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Going out on a limb here... I bet the U.S. puts whoever it wants in whatever relay it wants.

I figure something will be worked out too. But if you think FINA bends over for the US... no way. FINA stopped allowing a country to swim 3 competitors per event because they were tired of USA sweeps, and FINA discontinued the 4 x 100 free relay (WTF?!) because the US never lost it. This rule exists in the first place because FINA didn't like the US dropping Phelps and Lochte in at the last minute. The relationship between USAswimming and FINA is not great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My completely random and mostly uninformed predictions:

Ledecky will break two world records in the 800 and 400 meter freestyle. Also nabs gold in the 200.
Phelps will lose the fly events - still a medal, but not gold. Wins the 200 IM. I bet he swims every relay that Bob can put him on.
Murphy takes one of the backstroke events but not both.
No medals for Franklin.
Lily King takes silver in the 100 breast. But if the doper swims, the doper wins (hopefully the CAS rules against Efimova but I am not holding my breath).
Adrian takes the 50 and Ervin grabs a silver or bronze. McEvoy wins gold in the 100.
Hosszu wins the IM events but there is a tiny chance she chokes. I think DiRado will podium here, too. (Very interesting article about Hosszu and her relationship with her husband/coach in the NY Times today.
Campbell twins go 1-2 in the 50 and 100 free. I am rooting for Bronte but I think Cate will take them both.
Sjostrom for gold in the 100 fly and maybe something else.

I don't feel as strongly about some of the other events so didn't bother to add my predictions for those.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, though others can chime in:

You MEDAL in swimming, you PODIUM in Triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, okay. Sorry, didn't realize there was a difference in swim/triathlon lingo.

Don't all medalists stand on a podium, though?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not 100% sure. That was why I worded it that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(US-focused) Men random predictions:
1. The US will be far faster in the 4x100fr than people think but the French will win by a whisker again. Vaunted Aussies stuck with the bronze.
2. US will go 1-2 in the 100bk.
4. (G)Larkin - (S)Murphy in the 200bk.
5. Phelps will win the 100 fly but Cseh will win the 200 fly.
6. Florent wins the 50 but Adrian medals.
7. Dressel 47.8 100 free, doesn't medal. McEvoy wins it in a squeaker over Adrian.
8. No US medals in the 100br, Peaty FTW (duh).
9. 200br - (G)Koch - (S) Prenot, Cordes doesn't medal in any individual event.
10. US wins the 4x100med and 4x200fr.
11. Lochte wins the 200IM over Phelps
12. Kalisz bronze in the 400IM, Seto wins.
13. Sun wins the 200, 400 and mile (if he's swimming it) and pisses everyone off.

(US-focused) women random predictions
1. The US will be far faster in the 4x100fr than people think but the Aussies will win by a country mile. US gets silver.
2. US will not medal in the 100bk, Seebohm wins it.
4. (G) Iron Lady - (S) DiRado 200bk.
5. 100fl- (G) Sjostrom - (S) Worrell 100 fly, no idea who wins the 200 fly but there will be no US finalists (!).
6. Weitzel breaks 24 in the 50 but doesn't medal, C1 wins it easily
7. 100fr (G) C1 - (S) C2, no US medals.
8. King wins the 100br, Ruta gets second
9. 200br - no clue, weird unpredictable field. US doesn't final (!)
11. Hosszu wins the 200IM, DiRado gets second
12. Belmonte wins the 400IM, Hosszu second.
12. Ledecky wins the 200, 400, 800 and saves the day for the relatively weak US woman's team.
Last edited by: hiro11: Aug 3, 16 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
In general, though others can chime in:

You MEDAL in swimming, you PODIUM in Triathlon.

Ahh yes...but we ALL MEDAL in Ironman, even if we don't swim
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
(US-focused) Men random predictions:
1. The US will be far faster in the 4x100fr than people think but the French will win by a whisker again. Vaunted Aussies stuck with the bronze.
2. US will go 1-2 in the 100bk.
4. (G)Larkin - (S)Murphy in the 200bk.
5. Phelps will win the 100 fly but Cseh will win the 200 fly.
6. Florent wins the 50 but Adrian medals.
7. Dressel 47.8 100 free, doesn't medal. McEvoy wins it in a squeaker over Adrian.
8. No US medals in the 100br, Peaty FTW (duh).
9. 200br - (G)Koch - (S) Prenot, Cordes doesn't medal in any individual event.
11. Lochte wins the 200IM over Phelps
12. Kalisz bronze in the 400IM, Seto wins.
13. Sun wins the 200, 400 and mile (if he's swimming it) and pisses everyone off.

(US-focused) women random predictions
1. The US will be far faster in the 4x100fr than people think but the Aussies will win by a country mile. US gets silver.
2. US will not medal in the 100bk, Seebohm wins it.
4. (G) Iron Lady - (S) DiRado 200bk.
5. 100fl- (G) Sjostrom - (S) Worrell 100 fly, no idea who wins the 200 fly but there will be no US finalists (!).
6. Weitzel breaks 24 in the 50 but doesn't medal, C1 wins it easily
7. 100fr (G) C1 - (S) C2, no US medals.
8. King wins the 100br, Ruta gets second
9. 200br - no clue, weird unpredictable field. US doesn't final (!)
11. Hosszu wins the 200IM, DiRado gets second
12. Belmonte wins the 400IM, Hosszu second.
12. Ledecky wins the 200, 400, 800 and saves the day for the relatively weak US woman's team.

Solid predictions. I think there will be some surprises just as there were at Trials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are mine for the men's meet.
Some surprises for the minor medals, enjoy...critique...discuss:

50 Fr
Manadou
Fratus
Ervin

100 Fr
McEvoy
Adrian
Timmers

200 Fr
Sun
Biederman
Guy

400 Fr
Horton
Sun
Jaeger

Paltrinieri
Sun
Jaeger

100 Bk
Murphy
Larkin
Plummer

200 Bk
Larkin
Murphy
Kawecki

100 Br
Peaty
van der Burgh
Gomes

200 Br
Prenot
Gyurta
Koch

100 Fly
Phelps
Schooling
Cseh

200 Fly
Phelps
Le Clos
Seto

200 IM
Phelps
Lochte
Hagino

400 IM
Hagino
Kalisz
Litherland

400 FR
Australia
USA
France

800 FR
USA
Australia
Japan

400 MR
USA
Australia
Brazil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Ah, now i see your point. Sorry to appear dense but i couldn't remember OTTOMH (off the top of my head) who was relay-only, on which relay, etc, and i didn't cross-check the RO swimmers with the indiv event swimmers. I thought i was pretty into swimming but i have to admit you have me beat. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Swimming Predictions [stoobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My predictions (in the events I care about)

4x100 free relay: France, Australia, US (Adrian gets run down in the anchor position)
100 free: Ning Zetao, McEvoy, Adrian
50: Manadou, Fratus, Adrian
100 fly: Phelps, Schooling, LeClos
Quote Reply

Prev Next