Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
The thing is, I still don't understand tactically what she did wrong, because her work ensured she was there in the end. It likely meant she was very fatigued versus the other 2, but she had a shot at a gold medal, did she not?

It's a chess match in real time. Pure game theory. ThisIsIt has a point. She could have started playing games to put herself in a better situation. But it's a game that's very easily armchair quarterbacked.

Mara was legit. Johannson and Van der Breggen looked ragged. You have massive firepower not very far behind, and no race radio to call in gaps. What do you do? Really tough call, but playing games is often a Bad Idea. Road races like this are a series of hundreds of little decisions. Borghini played the game nearly to perfection. Yeah, arguably, in hindsight she could have done better, but anyone who think that the decision was obvious or that what she did was some kind of blunder has probably never raced bikes all that much.

Up above someone posted that all those riders ride for the same trade team except the Dutch rider. WTF? That makes the whole thing 10 times worse.

That might be a little awkward on the team bus.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Aug 7, 16 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
Abbott, Johansson, Longoborghini all ride for Wiggle High5. So in that light they basically enacted an Etixx vs. Stannard scenario ;) Purely trade teams you don't ride of course, unless you have a female Sagan coming up from behind. I agree you have to be willing to lose in order to win but getting on the podium counts a little bit more in the Olympics than at any other race, you do get to bring home some kind of hardware (look at the men's race yesterday, all three medallists were happy). And the other saying is, you have to be at the front in order to win the race ;)

Well they were going to catch Abbott if they just kept working and you'd have to figure she'd have nothing for a sprint. I guess I just don't get why she put her head down and buried herself without even trying to get the others to work especially if it was her team mate up the road? So aren't you saying that the riders that got 2,3 and 4th ride for the same team? And the one rider that wasn't on their team got gold? You couldn't fuck it up any worse than that if you tried :)

Johansson and Longoborhini should have been pulling the trade team card and forced that Dutch rider to work or let their trade team member win. Abbott should be super pissed one way or another.

yeah, that was so obvious being that it took them until 150m to go to catch her. had they been just a little less organized, then never would have caught her. if she sat up and "made" them work (as you incorrectly assume she would have been able to), that time soft pedaling could have been the difference between catching her and not catching her.

your expert background in cycling also COMPLETELY misses the fact that the 2nd chase pack closed to within 10 seconds of them so any jerking around trying to force the other 2 to work most definitely would have brought the 2 groups together and she would have been sprinting with 6 (or 7) and she's not a sprinter. she did what she had to do to maximize her performance (a bronze with a shot at gold) while you continue posting irrational posts on a message board.

Of course sitting up could have been the difference. I'm not assuming she would have been able to get the others to work, but it was the only way she was going to win the race. She gave it away by not being willing to lose.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're in a group of three with two riders that you know can out sprint you every day of the week, the prizes go three deep, there's a rider up the road, and the chase behind is closing fast, you bury yourself to secure the podium, and get in the prizes.
A bronze medal in the Olympics goes a long, long way, and puts money in the pocket. 4th place? Not so much.
It's called professionalism.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true. Thanks for putting this back on track.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Update: Van Vleuten has a concussion and three cracks in her spine. She is in Intensive Care. http://nos.nl/l/2123843

And apparently responsive, so yay. They're saying 3 minor lumbar vertebral fractures. Whole body CT scan revealed nothing else. All per CNN.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
If you're in a group of three with two riders that you know can out sprint you every day of the week, the prizes go three deep, there's a rider up the road, and the chase behind is closing fast, you bury yourself to secure the podium, and get in the prizes.
A bronze medal in the Olympics goes a long, long way, and puts money in the pocket. 4th place? Not so much.
It's called professionalism.

I'll admit I don't know the quality of these riders. Do we know the Italian is a particularly poor sprinter as compared to the others?
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:

Honest question. Seems like most women riders are much more allround (probably partially out of necessity) than the male riders. I guess in a flat flat stage someone like a Kirsten Wild or Bronzini? might be the fastest, but in any other scenario there just seems like a whole host of fast-ish women.

Yeah, that's a fair statement, I think. That would have been the case for the U.S. bringing Coryn Rivera, who, if she could get herself over the climb, can clean up the sprint. But I don't think she'd have made the selection today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
Dutch commentators got inside info that she's "ok". He was not sure what that meant exactly but yeah encouraging at least.

That's good to know

So what you guys doing in Mokum tonite?

Also do please tell me you at least picked Anna VdB on the podium. Otherwise i would seem like the one rooting for Dutch cycling

I still think you were drunk, but you did call it. Nice work.

Thanks. And for the record, i wasnt drunk

The whole caddy steak knives thing is from Glengarry Glenross
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no WAY Coryn would have made it over the climb in the top group. Hell, Evie and Megan got dropped, and they are way better climbers. Abbott is the best climber in the world, and she blew all but one rider off her wheel. Coryn, sadly would have had ZERO chance on this course.

Edit: I'm also quite shocked at how early Megan got dropped on the climb. Evie hung in for awhile and I thought she had a chance to bridge. Funny how the two who were "didn't deserve to be on the team" were the biggest players for the USA in the race.
Last edited by: sto: Aug 7, 16 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Update: Van Vleuten has a concussion and three cracks in her spine. She is in Intensive Care. http://nos.nl/l/2123843

And apparently responsive, so yay. They're saying 3 minor lumbar vertebral fractures. Whole body CT scan revealed nothing else. All per CNN.

Relatively good news and I hope her recovery goes smoothly
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Watching yesterday and today, this must be the ONLY STUPID sport outside of the NFL that intentionally puts the health and lives of their athletes at risk. Look what happened in Whistler with the death of the sledder. I really don't think that descent with the concrete on the sides of the road should have been authorized by the UCI. They should have required the removal of all that concrete with a bulldozer and flattening the edge. If they can spend money on pools, stadiums and bobled tracks they can spend money to fix up cycling race courses at the Olympics. It's a low cost to keep our athletes "safer" You're basically asking the athletes to go downhill at 80 kph beside a 1 foot wall that bounces you over the top if you skid and hit it. STUPID course design. This would not fly in downhill skiing or bobsled or XC skiing.

Good points Dev, I agree. At a minimum, the corners should be lined with crash barricades. The Olympic standard is much higher. How many broken bones in two days of racing? The organizers are lucky they don't have a fatality on their hands.

Hopefully, the triathlon course does not include the same descent?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has there ever been a race where so many contenders and race leaders have crashed due to the danger of the course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Watching yesterday and today, this must be the ONLY STUPID sport outside of the NFL that intentionally puts the health and lives of their athletes at risk. Look what happened in Whistler with the death of the sledder. I really don't think that descent with the concrete on the sides of the road should have been authorized by the UCI. They should have required the removal of all that concrete with a bulldozer and flattening the edge. If they can spend money on pools, stadiums and bobled tracks they can spend money to fix up cycling race courses at the Olympics. It's a low cost to keep our athletes "safer" You're basically asking the athletes to go downhill at 80 kph beside a 1 foot wall that bounces you over the top if you skid and hit it. STUPID course design. This would not fly in downhill skiing or bobsled or XC skiing.

Good points Dev, I agree. At a minimum, the corners should be lined with crash barricades. The Olympic standard is much higher. How many broken bones in two days of racing? The organizers are lucky they don't have a fatality on their hands.

Hopefully, the triathlon course does not include the same descent?

Scott

It is beyond unacceptable. I have never seen a single stage or one day race with this level of hazard built into the course. The lives/livelihoods of the top professional in the sport were compromised by the IOC. Considering how much the IOC has the organizers spend on facilities prep, this prep of the road course was unacceptable. All those concrete "walls" on the side of the road needed to be flattened and removed with some construction. Seriuosly, imagine a downhill ski race with a 1 foot high concrete barrier at the edges. No way that would meet the standards that FIS sets for the safety of its athletes. I hope team BMC, team Sky and team Astana and the Dutch Cycling Federation take out a lawsuit naming the UCI and IOC for insufficient worker safety precautions in course design. Seriously those concrete barriers were definitely a workplace safety hazard. Its irresponsible to have not removed them with some pro active construction. Would have been easy to do and then place proper padding and FIS downhill caliber netting. The netting looked barely strong enough for mosquitoes.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 7, 16 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Has there ever been a race where so many contenders and race leaders have crashed due to the danger of the course?

I disagree with this mindset. That course was as dangerous as the riders chose to make it. That's decending, and bike racing in general. Abbott elected to go at her own pace downhill. It kept her safe and she almost took it all. I thought the course was great. Have to believe that tactical decisions caused most of those wrecks ("I'm gonna bomb this decent for an advantage")- though I can't say that definitively as it seems many of them were off camera.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:
snaaijert wrote:
Dutch commentators got inside info that she's "ok". He was not sure what that meant exactly but yeah encouraging at least.

That's good to know

So what you guys doing in Mokum tonite?

Also do please tell me you at least picked Anna VdB on the podium. Otherwise i would seem like the one rooting for Dutch cycling

I still think you were drunk, but you did call it. Nice work.

Thanks. And for the record, i wasnt drunk

The whole caddy steak knives thing is from Glengarry Glenross

Fess up. You were across the street with Roma.

The race played out just like the men's race. Climber gets away chase group roll him/her up on the long flat run in. Abbott rode a hell of a race. Did what she could do. Can't second guess much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
fulla wrote:

I disagree with this mindset. That course was as dangerous as the riders chose to make it. That's decending, and bike racing in general. Abbott elected to go at her own pace downhill. It kept her safe and she almost took it all. I thought the course was great. Have to believe that tactical decisions caused most of those wrecks ("I'm gonna bomb this decent for an advantage")- though I can't say that definitively as it seems many of them were off camera.

I agree. It's a bike race. The course was not a secret. Narrow roads and fast descents are dangerous. But it's just those types of courses that reward skill. Otherwise we could just put them on trainers and see who has the highest FTP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
fulla wrote:

Well I disagree with your mindset. Racing means trying to go as fast as possible and yes, that includes risk management and racing on the edge just like they do in short track speed skating, downhill skiing, cross country skiing (the descents and some really gnarly ones). But if you err slightly on the wrong side of the risk balance, does not mean that the course should not be design to the point that an athlete has to chose between racing fast and death/near death. If something goes wrong the course should be designed to minimize the injuries of the athlete that has lot control. Heck in short track speed skating they have pads all the way around the turns so if an athlete looses it at 50-60 kph then don't slam head first into the boards.

I think we want fast racing and a show and we want athletes to take risks where the outcome is win or lose, not win or being incapacitated/career ending/death. Right now Sergio Henao has a broken pelvis. Who knows if he bounces back. He is one of the top climbers around
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
fulla wrote:

Yep. This.

Abbott rode within her abilities and came out better for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:
fulla wrote:

I agree. It's a bike race. The course was not a secret. Narrow roads and fast descents are dangerous. But it's just those types of courses that reward skill. Otherwise we could just put them on trainers and see who has the highest FTP.

I liked the layout of the course, the cobbles, climbs, descent and finish. And we want the riders to push the limits of each element. My issue is with the surrounding infrastructure. The organizers could have done more to protect the riders. The rider today broke her back crashing into a cement wall / gutter lining the course. Is that really the best we can do?

Speaking to the BBC after the race, Olympic cycling champion Chris Boardman couldn't hold back his views on the course safety. "I’m actually quite angry about it because I looked at the road furniture and thought nobody can crash here and get up".

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Aug 7, 16 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Well I disagree with your mindset. Racing means trying to go as fast as possible and yes, that includes risk management and racing on the edge just like they do in short track speed skating, downhill skiing, cross country skiing (the descents and some really gnarly ones). But if you err slightly on the wrong side of the risk balance, does not mean that the course should not be design to the point that an athlete has to chose between racing fast and death/near death. If something goes wrong the course should be designed to minimize the injuries of the athlete that has lot control. Heck in short track speed skating they have pads all the way around the turns so if an athlete looses it at 50-60 kph then don't slam head first into the boards.

You're comparing a small indoor arena with an open road mountain descent. It's a ludicrous comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No not same decent. Does have huge hill and semi sketchy corner, but atleast last year barriers had cushions.

Here is spectacular flip over barrier by Ryan Bailie:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=niGp705XStE

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Aug 7, 16 18:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I liked the layout of the course, the cobbles, climbs, descent and finish. And we want the riders to push the limits of each element. My issue is with the surrounding infrastructure. The organizers could have done more to protect the riders. The rider today broke her back crashing into a cement wall / gutter lining the course. Is that really the best we can do?

What are you suggesting? Line the outside of every turn with hay bails? Possible, I guess. But, as an amateur racer, I see that on crit courses. But I've never seen that on any road or TT course I've ever done, except maybe finishing chutes. Check out the descents in the TdF, Giro. Or the Classics. They're 99% unprotected. Staying on the road is considered a rider responsibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
No not same decent. Does have huge hill and semi sketchy corner, but atleast last year barriers had cushions.

Here is spectacular flip over barrier by Ryan Bailie:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=niGp705XStE

Those are triathletes. That's a whole other deal. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give him credit, cyclist would have sat up called for team car and quit.

He went on to finish 14th and made Aussie team.

(I kid I kid)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

You're comparing a small indoor arena with an open road mountain descent. It's a ludicrous comparison.

No it is not. In XC skiing we have 5-10K loops with lots of descents that are well protected if you crash. Downhill runs are up to 2 miles long. The IOC spends a ton of money on infrastructure. I get it that in the Tour de France or Giro or Vuelta they can't get it "perfect" over 3000K, but here in Rio on only 5-8K of descents, in less than 2K of problem areas they could do a lot better given how much IOC spends on other facilities. A bit more could be spent on rider safety. This was not an open mountain descent in the wilderness of the Dolomites or Sierra Nevada or Hautes Alpes (and you'd never see this set up in any of the Grand tours anyway). Boardman is completely right to be livid about the lack of concern for rider health.
Quote Reply

Prev Next