Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
If that was a men's race, you'd just assume the Italian was paid off. WTF was she doing completely burying herself to close the gap to the American. The only outcome was going to be bronze at best. Tactically naive.

she seemed very happy at the finish, though...so i guess maybe she just wanted to medal
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dutch commentators got inside info that she's "ok". He was not sure what that meant exactly but yeah encouraging at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was an absolutely awful crash. I wish I hadn't seen it. Heartbreaking for Mary. I hope we get an update on the crash but I'm fearing very bad news.

Quote | Reply
According to Twitter, she's OK and receiving medical attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another great race, that crash was terrifying

Devastating for Abbott. Both races I could not sit down, Olympics don't disappoint again!
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read on another site that the team released she was "ok" as well. With emergency rescue, as okay as you can be in that scenario I guess. Hope it was just much much worse looking than it really was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Archibald wrote:
Same here. That was really bad. Hope she will be fine.

What a finish and gold for the Dutch...but please send us the news from the sound of the mountain.

If that was a men's race, you'd just assume the Italian was paid off. WTF was she doing completely burying herself to close the gap to the American. The only outcome was going to be bronze at best. Tactically naive.

I am guess she did not care what color medal she would get. She wanted to get one of them.

Watching yesterday and today, this must be the ONLY STUPID sport outside of the NFL that intentionally puts the health and lives of their athletes at risk. Look what happened in Whistler with the death of the sledder. I really don't think that descent with the concrete on the sides of the road should have been authorized by the UCI. They should have required the removal of all that concrete with a bulldozer and flattening the edge. If they can spend money on pools, stadiums and bobled tracks they can spend money to fix up cycling race courses at the Olympics. It's a low cost to keep our athletes "safer" You're basically asking the athletes to go downhill at 80 kph beside a 1 foot wall that bounces you over the top if you skid and hit it. STUPID course design. This would not fly in downhill skiing or bobsled or XC skiing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused, so if at best she was 3rd strongest in the chase group, but assuming they make catch of break, the break athlete never usually has energy to jump back in finishing sprint, so why was it bad for her to even "only" race for bronze?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [RunFluent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFluent wrote:

thanks for the update. My body is still shaking watching that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunFluent wrote:
Wow! Thank goodness!
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My initial reaction from just watching it live [no replay yet].

To me, it seemed as though the front wheel slid into that 1 foot high road barrier and then she flipped over the bars. I don't think her head hit anything at speed [a la Casartelli in the tour 15 or so years ago]. I was surprised at first to see her motionless.

I think she will be OK - that being a relative term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunFluent wrote:

Thank you for the update. That looked bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [ija.z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw the replay, still bad but not as scary looking as the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She actually locked up her front wheel and endo'd into the curb with her spine - probably would have been better off just hitting it but there is nothing you can really do in that scenario.

Video here, not for the feint of heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVhdqKvCco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per Dutch media the woman who crashed is conscious and in an ambulance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ija.z wrote:
My initial reaction from just watching it live [no replay yet].

To me, it seemed as though the front wheel slid into that 1 foot high road barrier and then she flipped over the bars. I don't think her head hit anything at speed [a la Casartelli in the tour 15 or so years ago]. I was surprised at first to see her motionless.

I think she will be OK - that being a relative term.

I think if you have been in the sport long enough you watched too many of those. The immediate flash in my head was Casertelli on the Col d'Aspin decent. For those too young to remember 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2wGZq2Dm4
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VdB in post race interview: after they saw van Vleuten had crashed, Johansson told van der Breggen they eould chase "for Annemiek". Not sure what past team allegiances are but Emma and Mara are at least in the same trade team, yikes.

Van Vleuten is conscious and talking btw (as told by TeamNL staff)
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
She actually locked up her front wheel and endo'd into the curb with her spine

Yup. That's exactly what I saw, too. Front wheel locked up, endo'ed into the curb. It looked like her body folded on it. Really hard to watch, and I think I'll pass on any replays. Maybe the first time I've yelled out in a visceral reaction watching a crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
I'm confused, so if at best she was 3rd strongest in the chase group, but assuming they make catch of break, the break athlete never usually has energy to jump back in finishing sprint, so why was it bad for her to even "only" race for bronze?

Who knows how strong she was. You're not going to have much if any sprint left if you did all the work the prior km to close the gap to the leader, while the other 2 just sat on recovering to some degree, and therefore almost certainly will outsprint you (unless they were totally knackered or had a diabolically awful sprint).

If the Italian wanted to win she had to force the other 2 to contribute to the chase in that last km.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its all easy to criticise after the fact, but when I saw her taking that corner before I was thinking, you can see the road turns riht again, why not swerve left so you can take the wider corner, and bam down she went...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought she went in chin first but looks like she tucked at the last spilt second and the shoulder and side of he head took the brunt. Shes gonna have one messesed up clavical but thats great compared what was going through my mind at first.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe the first time I've yelled out in a visceral reaction watching a crash.

I woke up my sleeping toddler in the other room, with a loud "Oh My God". It was just perfectly terrible timing. They were all on the American, and I was wanting to see how aggressive the leader was being with the rain. As soon as they cut to her it happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because he thinks she was better off coming in at best 4th (likely worse with the 2nd chase group catching them) than driving the train to catch abbott and get at worst 4th (likely at worst 3rd as abbott was going to be dead once she was caught).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Dutch commentators got inside info that she's "ok". He was not sure what that meant exactly but yeah encouraging at least.

Up and speaking, etc. phew.....that was horrible.

Can we now move on to the BBC commentator? Can we rip him a new one? Every third word was Lizzie. Lizzie clawing her way back, Lizzie riding courageously, Lizzie JUST CAME SCROSS THE LINE!!!!!! In fifth. Let's see, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper?, Quartz? Plastic sample cup?

Sick of the Brit homerism, but I guess people hear enough USA, USA too. I know I do.

This one guy just seemed like a Monty Python skit.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Road cycling thread [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
because he thinks she was better off coming in at best 4th (likely worse with the 2nd chase group catching them) than driving the train to catch abbott and get at worst 4th (likely at worst 3rd as abbott was going to be dead once she was caught).

Well I think when she went to the front and just drove it on her own for most of the last km, there wasn't much if any chance of that chasing group catching them. I guess who knows if they would have started playing cat and mouse. She basically traded 3rd at best for 4th at worst in my mind, not to mention she got used by the other two riders who took gold and silver. No self respecting professional male rider would allow that to happen. I think the saying is, you have to be willing to lose in order to win.

There could be trade team relationships I'm unaware of though, but she basically rode as if she was a team mate of one of the other two riders.
Quote Reply

Prev Next