Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport...
Quote | Reply
The Olympic distance, particularly the course layout in London does not showcase the best in our sport. I'm sorry but a draft legal course with seven laps is bound to cause a the whole field to jockey for the best position going into T2 and the the fastest 10k wins it. Domestiques? Drafting? Not to take anything away from the Brownlees but the same result would have been achieved if everyone and rode on their trainers for 75 minutes and then ran 10k. They would never include the ironman distance because that would diminish the marathon event. How about starting the campaign right here for a 70.3 distance Olympic triathlon event? Real triathlon rules. None of this ITU nonsense.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [neskery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool story bro

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fantasy Triathlon
http://914419110599774392.weebly.com/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [neskery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neskery wrote:
The Olympic distance, particularly the course layout in London does not showcase the best in our sport. I'm sorry but a draft legal course with seven laps is bound to cause a the whole field to jockey for the best position going into T2 and the the fastest 10k wins it. Domestiques? Drafting? Not to take anything away from the Brownlees but the same result would have been achieved if everyone and rode on their trainers for 75 minutes and then ran 10k. They would never include the ironman distance because that would diminish the marathon event. How about starting the campaign right here for a 70.3 distance Olympic triathlon event? Real triathlon rules. None of this ITU nonsense.

---

How does it hurt our sport? Are races now being cancelled because of it? Are people handing in their triathlon club memberships? Does the sun no longer rise over Kona?

Better get your flame proof suit ready.

--

---
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time poster...

Here's what people saw. Huge crowds, the top three Olympic triathletes took home the hardware, a two time medalist flamed out (everyone loves watching crashes) and sick sub 30 run times. Oh yeah, a three way sprint finish in the women's race. Yeah, nobody likes sprint finishes...

How is this bad for the sport?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Aug 7, 12 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You disagree that if they sat on trainers for 75 minutes that the result would have been different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know we can't help ourselves!

Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell if I was a fat ass beer drinking non tri-geek and I saw all those girls running around the streets I would have put tri's in the same category as beach volleyball and diving....Don't really know anything about the sport except that I must watch the women compete.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [safewurd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you honestly think that it would be any different if this were non-drafting? Do you actually think anyone would sit around for 4-8 hours to watch a 70.3 or an ironman?
In the men's race, I saw the Brownlee brothers killing it on the swim, killing it on the bike and then dropping a 29 minute run in front of 100,000 people. In the women's race I saw a sprint finish that was closer than the finish in the men's 100m final. Please explain how these things hurt our sport?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about starting the campaign right here for a 70.3 distance Olympic triathlon event? Real triathlon rules. None of this ITU nonsense.

Ahhh, you mean the rules where they cherry pick when drafting is allowed and when it's not for IM/70.3 events? Those "real" rules?

Tell me again when an 70.3 has 500k fans lining the streets for an event, and hell they have 70.3 miles worth of road to make this happen, so it should be easy right?

People can hate ITU racing, but please come up with a better reason than what you stated because your logic has many holes in it. Just say you dont like it, and stick to your non-draft races, where they couldnt pay people to spectate at.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except at Roth ... From my recollection there were more than a handful of spectators.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race, or course layout in particular, was dumbed down for TV viewing. You think a 7 loop course was a complementary to all these guys who dedicated so much to training on the bike? Do you seriously believe the domestiques should have a role in triathlon? Maybe Craig Alexander should find a Tour rider who can swim to pull him though the tough sections of the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman races are so boring they need special interest stories to keep them on tv.....Didn't see any old,fat or "special" people walking across the finish line after dark in London.....

Are you by any chance just an angry representative of the "Society against unfair treatment of triathletes who carry glowsticks"?

--
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Aug 7, 12 20:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just cracks me up the hate that ITU gets from people. I guess what I've never understood is why people cant simply accept that it's 2 forms of racing? It's just funny to me how people always think one is better than the other. As if, it has to be one or the other? You cant simply enjoy it for what it is, and accept that both are a part of the sport, and both offer great and not so great advantages?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
safewurd wrote:
The race, or course layout in particular, was dumbed down for TV viewing. You think a 7 loop course was a complementary to all these guys who dedicated so much to training on the bike? Do you seriously believe the domestiques should have a role in triathlon? Maybe Craig Alexander should find a Tour rider who can swim to pull him though the tough sections of the ride.

The domestiques have hardly played a role any time I have seen them being used so to that point I say who cares? If GB wants to waste a spot on a pointless (especially for the Brownlees) domestique then that's their problem.

You won't find a supporter in me, I love triathlon in any form.

Since it is your first day posting on ST I suggest that you read through some of the draft vs. non-draft threads (there have been many) and read why the drafting exists.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
It just cracks me up the hate that ITU gets from people. I guess what I've never understood is why people cant simply accept that it's 2 forms of racing? It's just funny to me how people always think one is better than the other. As if, it has to be one or the other? You cant simply enjoy it for what it is, and accept that both are a part of the sport, and both offer great and not so great advantages?

Brooks,

Don't you know that liking draft and liking non-draft are mutually exclusive?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
safewurd wrote:

Come race the Auckland course in 8 weeks time, I'm sure that there won't be jockeying on that course.... Those hills will smash the pack to bits much better than any 70.3 "drafting and pacing at a 7m distance" race ever will.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's interesting I didn't see Murray and Mola anywhere near the front and they are just as fast as brownlees and Gomez in a fresh 10km if not faster! You clearly have no idea how good these guys are! That was the best display of triathlon to the masses, put an IM races in the Olympics and the public would think its stupid! You have Chris lieto walk though aid stations and coming 2nd at world champs. Can you see how that would look bad? We understand how good the IM guys are but I'm not sure the public would consider it that amazing

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athletes are amazing and nothing can be taken away from them. I agree that they are two different forms of racing. I also happen to feel that amazing athletic feats of the ironman distances also deserve to be showcased at the Olympics. Besides, NBC can slice and dice any sporting event to make it look exiting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The funny thing about the hate that ITU gets is that most of the arguments are illogical. People complain about the drafting on the bike, yet in a non-draft race, they can draft on the swim and run? So apparently it's some threhold of savings that once passed is shamed. 3% savings is cool, but if a rider gets 8%, well damn him to hell, he isnt doing an "individual" effort anymore.

Just say you dont like it and be done with it, but trying to reason why ITU sucks, well most of the arguments are flawed.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
safewurd wrote:
The athletes are amazing and nothing can be taken away from them. I agree that they are two different forms of racing. I also happen to feel that amazing athletic feats of the ironman distances also deserve to be showcased at the Olympics. Besides, NBC can slice and dice any sporting event to make it look exiting!

---

Let me guess,you are most likely American and so I feel that it is necessary to inform you that NBC is not in any way shape or form in charge of the Olympics.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just playing off your comments....NBC has to slice and dice the IM "World Championships" so much that the "stories" of soccer mom doing an triathlon and joe cancer guy making the swim cut off, are almost as important as the actual...wait for it...the actual RACE.

That's not to take anything away from the stories, but if that's the leg that IM racing has to stand on to get actual legit coverage, that says alot to me.

Also, the only issue I have with IM racing in the olympics is the lack of "racing" that is going on. How many lead changes did we see in today's race, vs how many lead changes do we see in an IM event? Usually the leaders get out on the bike and get in their cutely spaced peloton and then the guy in 4th place, passes 3 other guys the whole 26.2 miles for the win. My biggest issue with TV coverage of IM events is the just lack of excitement. Until that can get changed, it just doenst seem like a mass spectator TV generating sport.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8% help in cycling? do you normally ride at 10mph? drafting is >20% in cycling at the speeds the itu guys ride at. in running, you are going so slowly and never can get very close to the runner in front of you so the draft help is very very slight (try getting close to the runner in front of you and enjoy hitting the ground).

both tris in london were tremendous showcases for the sport. the crowds were so big that some of my friends who are in london couldn't even find a spot near the course to watch from because the crowds were so deep. whoever said that the course was made for television clearly is clueless. that course was made specifically for the in person spectators who got to see the athletes many many times (compare that to an ironman where you see the athletes 5 times in a time period at least 6 times as long as today (10 times for the BOP ones).
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic ITU distance hurts our sport... [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point was, people all the time claim non-draft is some "individual" effort, yet your allowed to draft in both the swim and runs. So no matter how big/small the advantage is, this idea that non-draft is "individual" effort is complete BS.

ETA: I just used random % numbers, fyi.

Until we go to an event where it's entirely an iTT for the entire leg, dont give me some BS about ITU taking away from the "individual" effort that somehow non-drafting doesnt.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Aug 7, 12 20:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not "complete BS." drafting in running, particularly in an ironman run where the "best" runners aren't even running 10mph (and most are more like 6mph), doesn't exist. drafting in the swim in a tri helps a little bit but is de minimus compared to the massive game changer it is on the bike.

also, if you want people to take you seriously, learn the difference between your/you're. seriously. this isn't a 3rd grade message board.
Quote Reply

Prev Next