Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea?
Quote | Reply
Racing IMLP in 1.5 weeks. Thinking about doing a local tri 8 days before (1mi/25mi/5mi) my A race. I recover pretty quickly (3-4 days) from soreness following olympic races and usually have been adding run volume in the afternoon following the race.

I'm a 10:XX IM'er and a 2:00 oly racer. With a very light final week following the oly, is it possible I'll carry fatigue into the IM race? I know there's nothing to gain from the oly for my IM, but if it's not going to hurt me at LP, i'd love to race.

Anyone done this before or have any insights?

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea? [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes,if you race the Oly full-on you will carry some fatigue into IMLP. It's not going to keep you from finishing, but I'm assuming that's not your goal. Eight days out you should be in taper mode, and a 2hr all-out effort is not part of that schedule.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an sprint a week before my 1st 140.6

I wouldn't recommend it (although i got a flat in the sprint... so i might have avoided it in the big race).

Swim was fine
Bike, i was super cautious (not really fun, too concerned about a crashing due to someone else doing something stupid) and running at closer to Ironman IF than i would fo a sprint
Run, just super easy and slow

Doing the transitions at race pace was a good
Too short to thinking about nutrition

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
I'm a 10:XX IM'er and a 2:00 oly racer....

This is interesting.

What are your goals for IMLP?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was about to ask the same question except I am opting to do the Aqua Bike instead. (Oly distance) Mainly for the extra open water swim practice in a race environment. Take it easy on the bike and call it a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

This is interesting.

Goal is top 5 AG, which should require a sub 10.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you already know the answer...

DKMNTRI wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

This is interesting.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Then you already know the answer...

DKMNTRI wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

This is interesting.

I guess I do...I’ll rest these legs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To what end? Make no sense what so ever

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced the Kelowna Apple Oly the weekend before Challenge Penticton in 2013 and 2014. Small amount of physical fatigue for sure, but offset by how it really stoked the racing fire and seemed to even add a mental edge of sorts going into the iron distance.

Plus it was considerably more fun than sitting at home with taper flu trying to come up with ways to stay sane for another week.
Quote Reply
Re: Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea? [NateChampness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read a book. Watch the Tour. Take a nap. Go for an easy walk. Roll the legs. Do some light stretching/yoga...

There are plenty of ways to productively use the taper time and not put fatigue into your legs if you are targeting the race. Just my two cents.

Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
Racing IMLP in 1.5 weeks. Thinking about doing a local tri 8 days before (1mi/25mi/5mi) my A race. I recover pretty quickly (3-4 days) from soreness following olympic races and usually have been adding run volume in the afternoon following the race.

I'm a 10:XX IM'er and a 2:00 oly racer. With a very light final week following the oly, is it possible I'll carry fatigue into the IM race? I know there's nothing to gain from the oly for my IM, but if it's not going to hurt me at LP, i'd love to race.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the fatigue, I recover well too, I raced a sprint a week after IMWA. What I would be worried about is crashing on the bike and/or injuring myself, tearing a muscle etc Unlikely, but if you've trained for 3 months for your A race, you would be kicking yourself if you did pick up a niggle. That said, I often don't follow my own advice and if it was me, I would probably race the OD!
Quote Reply
Re: Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

I wouldn't be so concerned about the fatigue, I recover well too, I raced a sprint a week after IMWA. What I would be worried about is crashing on the bike and/or injuring myself, tearing a muscle etc Unlikely, but if you've trained for 3 months for your A race, you would be kicking yourself if you did pick up a niggle. That said, I often don't follow my own advice and if it was me, I would probably race the OD!

That's a whole different ball of wax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in NYC and it is pretty tough run weather down here right now. An easy 10k in this heat feels like racing a 5K with a weight vest. This weekend forecast looks to be sewer like conditions. Save the body for Placid-unless you happen to be in the 50-54 men's age group! Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea? [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the race. It will keep you in that quick transition state of mind, while others like to take a picnic in long events. Your training by now should be on point it's really should effect you... A taper means reduction in volume BUT not intensity
Quote Reply
Re: Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you meant to reply to the Op. I agree with keeping intensity up during a taper but racing in super high heat a week before an Iron ........why risk going way too deep?
Quote Reply
Re: Oly race 8 days before IMLP a stupid idea? [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acclimation? He can also do the race at his planned IM paces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's true- if that's the plan and you stick to it. If you end up actually racing.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Acclimation? He can also do the race at his planned IM paces.

If I raced, I would be racing all out...which is the reason I've decided not to race. I appreciate the feedback, but I think by the time I made the post, I realized it wasn't a great idea to race one week out. I'll do some intervals to stay sharp but not for 2 straight hours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in the M35-39 AG? If so, DO IT! lol. LP's gonna be my first full IM. I'm nervous as sh*t and am trying to keep my mind focused on the optimal taper. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Do the race. It will keep you in that quick transition state of mind, while others like to take a picnic in long events. Your training by now should be on point it's really should effect you... A taper means reduction in volume BUT not intensity

That's really poor advice. For so many reasons.......

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late to reply...but i took the advice of most of you and didn't race the oly. I finished 5th AG in M30-34 and snagged a spot to Kona thanks to 2 roll downs! Who knows what would have happened if i did the race a week out, but I doubt the outcome at LP would have been any better! THANKS!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would not be a very smart thing to do. What if you pulled something swimming? Or had some bad luck on the bike? Most Olympic distance races have their fair share of newbies to the sport and bike handling skills are normally lacking, all kinds of crazy things could happen. Same with the run. Too many chances for something happening that could ruin your full distance race. Rest. Relax. Check all your race gear/bike for problems. Prepare for the distance race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!!!

See? Doing things right *and* doing the right things together has its benefits.

See you in Kona.

Eric

DKMNTRI wrote:
A little late to reply...but i took the advice of most of you and didn't race the oly. I finished 5th AG in M30-34 and snagged a spot to Kona thanks to 2 roll downs! Who knows what would have happened if i did the race a week out, but I doubt the outcome at LP would have been any better! THANKS!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be done, I raced AG Nationals oly, sprint. Then raced IMMT and did pretty good. It just depends on how well you can recover and what kind of athlete you are.
Quote Reply

Prev Next