Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Older runners using doubles to build mileage? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 55 and find that more frequent shorter runs work well to keep mileage up and is easier on body. Even 2 or 3 miles, either after a swim, bike, or on it’s own works well. The 7-12 milers really take a lot out of me, although I will still do them during run focused blocks or weeks. I tend to focus on total weekly time on feet, even the short 2-3 mile runs help get me there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, works great. Also run/bike brick is much easier than a bike/run brick during early/mid season and the bike after the run extends that run without the pounding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even a short break helps me (59). I run to the gym (4 miles) - swim or do some core and stretching - run home (4 miles). Its only 45 minute break but helps with adding more mileage and seems to be easier on the legs.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Older runners using doubles to build mileage? [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not n your age group (38) but I'm curious about doing this for my long run days getting ready for a full IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when its cold in winter i find a 3 mile run quick change into bike gear helps to kick start body and you can last warmer longer than starting out on bike.once weather gets warmer i return to bike run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbing the age ladder has changed the way I train and what I run in. Now 76 I need a much softer ride. Hoka Clifton is the weapon of choice right now. Hopping hoka shows up at Florida 70.3 so I can try there new models. The bulk of my running is hill repeats 4-10 miles. One mile over one mile back mini break start over. My flat land varies 4-10 depending on how I feel. Still can run 2 days in row but I am careful with that one. If the body says rest we rest. In my circuit training I do leg extensions to keep knees and muscles strong. I have the same problem everyone has getting the biking and swimming in tooooo and still get enough rest. Goal every week is 200 miles cycling 20 miles running and a number of open water swims. There is no schedule it is just a day to day thing. Works well for me. But you hit the nail with a hammer...try different things. What works for you may not work for me. Another thing I do most my training alone. ( I will jump in group rides once in awhile ) I do not need to know that I am getting older and along with that slower. Stay away from training with young people it will do more damage than good. LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
That's a good idea. I have not thought of doing a run/bike brick but makes sense. Or I could even do a short duathlon workout, 3 mile run, then 30 minutes on the bike, then another 3 mile run. A few times I have run easy on the treadmill to warm up, then done a bike workout on the trainer and found that I can hit decent power numbers right from the start.

I need to find some way to build up my weekly running hours while staying healthy. I am only focusing on sprint and olympic distance, so the longest i have to run in a race is 10k.

Not 50+ here (M40-45) but not too far off, and I've experimented with both high-mileage marathon training running (70+mpw) as a pure runner, as well as as of late, low-mileage balanced triathlon training (running <25mpw on average for sprint/oly training). I've done most of the permutations as well - blocks of runs ALL over 7miles during both run/tri training, as well as blocks of lots of double runs with mostly short 3-5 milers and few runs over 7 miles.

I think for sprint/oly, you can absolutely get away with breaking up your runs into small chunks of 2-4 miles at a time and do well for your ability. At the sprint/oly distances, your leg speed and VO2max will dictate a lot of your performance, not your big-mile-marathon endurance mile resistance, so you don't need megamiles. The megamiles help running, sure, but at significant cost and limited bang for the buck once you're pushing your limits (often 30+mpw during tri training).

Focus on having at least one if not two quality run sessions per week, such as a hard VO2max session like 6 x 400 or 4x800 for leg speed, alternating with strength-type run sessions like 2 x 20' at 10k-HM pace on a 3% TM grade or other long hill repeats.

With the lower mileage, your legs will feel less beat down, and then you can take advantage of that to go harder on your quality days.

But don't neglect bike training and bike pacing - you can be in PR level run shape but still have a subpar run if you undertrain or overbike on race day (yep, done that - erroneously thought I go max-out the bike on a sprint course, and was left toasted for the run.) I'd say the bike contribution is as important to your run performance on race day, even in these short races.

At the same time, I don't think you should totally fear the leg beatdown. As you've probably read, I've undergone a minimalist-shoe transition, and one of the biggest tolls was the leg-beatdown I got for 6 months. There's an upside though - what doesn't break you makes you stronger, and I've been running as strongly and injury-free as I ever have once I acclimated to the beatdown. (Helps that with minimalist shoes, it's a LOT harder to keep on running when your body says stop.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 32 and do this to get extra mileage in. I have been throwing in some easier paced running in the morning with my dog. Typically about 4.5 miles around an 8:30 pace. Then in the later evenings once the kids are in bed I go out and do longer, higher intensity things.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply