Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile?
Quote | Reply
I currently own a Cannondale Slice RS that I have updated to Shimano Ultegra Di2 and really put some time into integrating. Had it for 6 years now and I'm in the progress of pulling the trigger on a (second-hand) 2018 Lapierre Aerostorm RDS.

At same time as I'm eager I also have some considerations on how worthwhile it actually is.

The reasons I created for myself ;-) for updating are:
  • Feels as all brands are releasing/going towards disc-brake only TT's now, I want to have an, as new as possible, TT-bike WITHOUT disc brake. (as I don't buy into disc-brake on TT)
  • Motivation, New stuff is always motivating.
  • I wish to do some updates on the cockpit anyway, so either put money on an old bike, or buy a new with cokpit already as I want it.
  • Aero my have evolved over the last years, even when comparing different "superbikes"

Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [p3eriksson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Slice RS was (is) a very fast bike. I'd stick with that, unless there is a very compelling reason to NOT stick with it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [p3eriksson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just me, or does that Lapierre look a LOT like a Cervelo P5? Like.... almost identical to the one that I'm staring at in my basement right now.

Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes it a tie race again. 😊

This since the P5 was the primary of two bikes that almost always performs very well in the wind tunnel according aerocoach (the other being Speed concept) 🤔
Last edited by: p3eriksson: Nov 27, 18 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen any numbers from the LaPierre in the years since it was launched. Was it ever included in any shootouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new bike might be a little faster, but not by much if at all. However, if you've had the bike for 6 years and want a new one, and will gain more motivation to train by doing so, that's a good enough reason to buy one IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the old bike. Great looking setup and position on it. The new frame isn't going to get you much, especially not considering the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at my Plasma while reading the post thinking they could be twins.
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
I haven't seen any numbers from the LaPierre in the years since it was launched. Was it ever included in any shootouts?

The sad answer seems to be no. 😥 Would love to see some data on it but haven’t been able to find any. The same is actually true for the Slice RS also, so I wouldn’t be able to compare anyhow.

Did some simple testing myself with Slice RS vs. Shiv TT. The Shiv seemed to be on pair or just slightly better, even with a less optimised fit and setup, but the testing wasn’t comprehensive enough to really tell much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Slice is nice... How much would fresh paint cost?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your slice is quite nice, unless you feel it is holding you back I wouldn't change. Very nice bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

I considered that myself for the last years, some custom painting would be nice! Would be about 320 euro plus shipping from a nice painter I’ve found, adding to my bullit #3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, upgrading for the sake of upgrading is never a good idea. I'm on a 2012 Giant Trinity Advanced SL and don't really see much of a need to upgrade, other than for integrated storage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p3eriksson wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:

I considered that myself for the last years, some custom painting would be nice! Would be about 320 euro plus shipping from a nice painter I’ve found, adding to my bullit #3

In the US it's this way, so assume over there also........a lot of cost in a decent paint job is the prep and masking. You could clean it up and do the prep sanding yourself. Also, you can avoid some masking cost by spending some small money on replacement decals. Then the painter can paint over instead of spending labor time masking them off or re-painting lettering and stuff.

I found a Dutch girl who made OEM reproductions of most of the Giant bike decals. I bought a complete decal set for a Propel for like 15 Euro.

The main thing a pro painter is going to be able to do is shoot the paint with a much nicer gun and possibly cure the paint and clear coats in a booth/oven.

A sand job on something already painted in the past means it's pretty smooth, meaning it's easy. Just time consuming.
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like that may not be an upgrade at all- stick with the Cannondale IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the OP, not worth it, unless there's some really good reason (as in fit) to go with the Aerostorm

sjc166 wrote:
I'm looking at my Plasma while reading the post thinking they could be twins.

it looks remarkably like my Plasma 3 TT bike. Similarities include:

-the default usage of the PRO Missile Evo aerobar.
-a flat stem to accommodate that bar
-the cut-out defined by the top, seat, down, and head tubes, in particular, how the seat tube first points aftward, then bend to point forward

The similarities between the previous generation Plasma 3 TT and Aerostorm were there, but the similarities between the respective newest models of the two brands are a bit uncanny, down to the shape of the cut-out, as newer Aerostorm has a surface above the BB, running parallel to the top tube. The exact same design is found on Plasma 5. Won't surprise me if there are some licensing going on.

Last edited by: echappist: Nov 27, 18 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason I'd ditch the Slice is if the brakes are giving you trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p3eriksson wrote:
That makes it a tie race again. 😊
This since the P5 was the primary of two bikes that almost always performs very well in the wind tunnel according aerocoach (the other being Speed concept) 🤔

It doesn't look like a P5 to me. And even if it did, the details are what matters.

One thing I'd look at is the width of fork blades. It appears to be able to use any bar... true? Bars are important. Are different stems available?

I doubt very much that it would be a measurable aero upgrade over your Slice RS, which tested very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those of you who refer to the Slice RS as testing well. Any sources? I haven't been able to find any testing results.

I actually agree that, even if there are design similarities between the P5, Plasma 5 and Aerostorm, there are also things that seperate them quite a lot. It's not (at all) like it would be the same mold. Seems more like they have come to the same conclusions on what is fast within the UCI rules.

Both frames would take any bar as it seems. The Aerostorm although comes with a Lapierre version of the Pro Missile evo, so a good bar to start with. The length can be changed on the stem of the Slice RS. The Aerostorm has different lengths of stems available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen both bikes in real life and to my eye balls the Slice RS looks faster. The Aerostorm looks nice from the side but like a pig from the front. The headtube is ridiculously wide and has a flat front. It would take a seriously detailed protocol and repeated data sets to make me believe it's among the fastest bikes. If you absolutely have to upgrade and want something that might be a little faster, go with a P5 or Speed Concept. Unless you have fit problems or can't live with the brakes on the Slice RS, the sane thing is probably to stick with what you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p3eriksson wrote:
Those of you who refer to the Slice RS as testing well. Any sources? I haven't been able to find any testing results.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...ewtopic.php?t=116057

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
p3eriksson wrote:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...ewtopic.php?t=116057

Great, thanks! Quite an old test, but so is the bike AND it compares towards (and compares well) the P5, still considered a fast bike. Pleased to see!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pulled out of buying the Aerostorm. Staying with the Slice RS and will pursue the options of painting the frame and changing the cockpit of it as some updates instead.

Wouldn't have expected this, it wasn't my wife but fellow cyclists that talked me out of buying a bike :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha true

The 2013 slice RS blk paint/graphics looks business... Maybe maclaren black/red instead?

Or maybe lamborghini 6th element style paint to save weight? ..sand back to carbon then with only a clear coat that has small dark purple, silver, cannondale green metal flakes suspended in it
Quote Reply
Re: Old superbike (Slice RS) to new superbike (LaPierre Aerostorm RDS) really worthwhile? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clear coat with metal flakes in it, that appeals to me :-P

Otherwise played with the thaught of pearl mainframe and satinblack fork and rear stays. :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next