Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old Wetsuit Questions: How long do they last?
Quote | Reply
About 10'ish years ago I bought a sleeveless wetsuit for an Ironman. I had gained a little weight and my small wetsuit no longer fit comfortably and this one was on sale—fit was good but almost big. The swim ended up not being wetsuit legal, so I never wore it—it has never even been in the water. Shortly thereafter, I stopped doing triathlons and eventually settled into running. Now I am getting back into triathlons and I have this wetsuit, but even though I weight less than when I bought it, the fit is uncomfortably snug (not in the water).
So, my question is if these things shrink or degrade over time? I am totally fine if I gained weight, but when I looked at the sizing charts of the new suits, they would place me at that grey zone where I could buy either the same size or a size smaller than my current suit. Since it has been sitting in my closet, is there a way to treat it to make it more flexible? I really don't want to buy a new one because where I live is hot and maybe only one or two early season races a year might be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Wetsuit Questions: How long do they last? [Slowtrirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtrirunner wrote:
About 10'ish years ago I bought a sleeveless wetsuit for an Ironman. I had gained a little weight and my small wetsuit no longer fit comfortably and this one was on sale—fit was good but almost big. The swim ended up not being wetsuit legal, so I never wore it—it has never even been in the water. Shortly thereafter, I stopped doing triathlons and eventually settled into running. Now I am getting back into triathlons and I have this wetsuit, but even though I weight less than when I bought it, the fit is uncomfortably snug (not in the water).
So, my question is if these things shrink or degrade over time? I am totally fine if I gained weight, but when I looked at the sizing charts of the new suits, they would place me at that grey zone where I could buy either the same size or a size smaller than my current suit. Since it has been sitting in my closet, is there a way to treat it to make it more flexible? I really don't want to buy a new one because where I live is hot and maybe only one or two early season races a year might be wetsuit legal.

I have a sleeveless “Ironman” brand wetsuit that I bought in 2003 that is still going strong. I do follow De Soto’s advice to let it sit in a tub full of water before using it for the first time each season to get the neoprene more supple.

Quote | Reply
Try it out in the water for an actual swim. An overly snug fit out of the water is not necessarily a bad thing, i.e. it'll feel less snug in the water (because the water lubricates the suit-skin interface, not because the water somehow makes the neoprene or lining or skin more flexible, which it doesn't).

No, there's nothing (including water) with which you can treat it to make it more flexible. Contra what some folks will tell you, neoprene is not like a sponge (open cell foam), it's a closed cell foam and there's nothing you can treat it with that would penetrate it (absent some pretty nasty chemicals). I suppose in theory there are some products with which you could treat the surface of the suit, e.g. the stuff that helps rubber seals on cars stay flexible, but I've never heard of anyone applying that sort of product to a wetsuit, and I suspect manufacturers would advise against it.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Wetsuit Questions: How long do they last? [Slowtrirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I’ll give it a try and see what happens.
Quote Reply