Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987..
Quote | Reply
Steve King just posted this on his Facebook page for those who love watching racing from "the good old days".

Scott,Allen,Molina,Tinley,Pigg,Hanssen and the Puntous twins going hard at the Vancouver International Triathlon.

The Vancouver International Triathlon 1987 - 'The Showdown at English Bay'. - YouTube
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 15, 21 17:40
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting.

There are some pretty classic quotes at the finish line.

“Why would I be disappointed, I just had the best race of my life”

“People say it comes down to the run....it’s not, every single race they win, it’s on the bike”

We could use more of this fire from current day pros.
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was great. That's my old neighbourhood. It was such a great weather day for that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
Thanks for posting.

“People say it comes down to the run....it’s not, every single race they win, it’s on the bike”

I love how Molina gave Dave Kirk credit for his ride.It shows respect for Dave's Ironman Canada win the year before.

Only three weeks after this race Dave led Ironman Canada all the way from the swim to just after the halfway turn on the run at Okanagan Falls until his run let him down again and he had an epic meltdown and finished in an ambulance.My old Ultra-mate Tom Price was on hand in second place to help Dave that day and stopped running to help Dave out until the media and ambulance arrived.Only after they told Tom that everything was okay did he continue with his run to end up win his second Ironman Canada .There are so many awesome stories about the races back in those days that keep the old guard as close to each other as they were all those years ago.

Pretty typical of prankster Tinley to do something funny like flash his butt at Dave.Classic stuff.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 16, 21 2:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks so much for posting that - i love watching the old-school stuff. really looking forward to this.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The was an excellent addition to my Saturday morning coffee.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:
Thanks for posting.

I love how Molina gave Dave Kirk credit for his ride.It shows respect for Dave's Ironman Canada win the year before.

Only three weeks after this race Dave led Ironman Canada all the way from the swim to just after the halfway turn on the run at Okanagan Falls until his run let him down again and he had an epic meltdown and finished in an ambulance.My old Ultra-mate Tom Price was on hand in second place to help Dave that day and stopped running to help Dave out until the media and ambulance arrived.Only after they told Tom that everything was okay did he continue with his run to end up win his second Ironman Canada .There are so many awesome stories about the races back in those days that keep the old guard as close to each other as they were all those years ago.

Pretty typical of prankster Tinley to do something funny like flash his butt at Dave.Classic stuff.

Agreed. I cut the Mike Pigg quote short, but he goes in to say... he’s just faster. Doesn’t talk about it not being his day or his build not being smooth. No excuses. Only respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that was a great race. i believe i might have done the race that year. i know i did it two consecutive years in the late 80s, and at least one of those years we drove over to kelowna for the big apple, the year it was an unofficial WC. maybe 1988? you can see how new aerobars were. a lot of pros weren't even on them yet.

steve king was a great announcer. i believe this was don andrews' race. it was really a favorite of mine. and vancouver is such a great town. when i came up for that race i fell in love with that city.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats super cool - thanks for posting that

i may have been watching in the crowd as a 6 year old - my dad used to drag us out to watch/cheer the marathon and various triathlons in vancouver when we were kids
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
that was a great race. i believe i might have done the race that year. i know i did it two consecutive years in the late 80s, and at least one of those years we drove over to kelowna for the big apple, the year it was an unofficial WC. maybe 1988? you can see how new aerobars were. a lot of pros weren't even on them yet.

steve king was a great announcer. i believe this was don andrews' race. it was really a favorite of mine. and vancouver is such a great town. when i came up for that race i fell in love with that city.
There are a lot of those old races popping up on YouTube now Dan and they are awesome to watch..
Here is one also from 1987 with two of the ST personalities front and center as Emilio and Monty mix it with the big boys.Hang on,they were the big boys back then. :-)

Catalina Island Triathlon - 1987 - Bing video

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of age groupers skinning it for the day. Cool Why are we doing this, why? My fastest running race ever was around the sea wall

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: spockwaslen: Jan 16, 21 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
he goes in to say... he’s just faster. Doesn’t talk about it not being his day or his build not being smooth. No excuses. Only respect.

I notice this a lot in the current day of sports, mostly team sports and mostly from coaches, but when a team loses the narrative is always "We've got to play better", "We didn't execute", "This one's on me" etc. Rarely do you hear someone be like "They were just better than us today."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those were the days - racing in a Speedo, no mount dismount zone, cycling side by side.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved those old Scott bars. I special ordered a set when I first heard about them in a Triathlon magazine. Not only did they offer today's aero position, but retained the top, and drop choices of drop bars. It was cool watching a very young Dave Scott marketing his Dave Scott Centurion... I still have one.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve King. Was. And is.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those were the days - racing in a Speedo, no mount dismount zone, cycling side by side
---
-3 bike length draft zone
-no requirement to have your helmet strapped before touching your bike
-gear shifters on the down tube

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: monty: Jan 17, 21 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I loved those old Scott bars. I special ordered a set when I first heard about them in a Triathlon magazine. Not only did they offer today's aero position, but retained the top, and drop choices of drop bars. It was cool watching a very young Dave Scott marketing his Dave Scott Centurion... I still have one.

I'm still riding my yellow Dave Scott signature Centurion just like the one in the video for a short commute to work. It had a long hibernation from the early '90s until a half dozen years ago. As The Man said, it's a good bike. I also still have the original Scott bars I bought in the basement.

Fun video! Thanks for the link.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 16, 21 19:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those transition zones were a madhouse! Multiple bikes falling over, some just throwing them down near their space, then the female winner just threw hers down at the end of the row! LOL

What the hell was going on in that swim that the chase group kept going off course???

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the old school triathlon scene! And $25 entry fees and waiting for your results to be snail mailed to you. Memories flooding back. Thanks for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Old School racing at it's best: The Big Four in Vancouver 1987.. [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to swim in there a lot and have raced there a number of times. It could have been the current but also just the sun coming up if this was early in the morning. You can't see the beach coming back in from there because you're looking straight into the sun

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply