Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old Cervelo P2K - Shift cables cutting into frame, how to fix?
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine is riding a Cervelo P2K (aluminum) and sent me this picture of the shift cable cutting into the frame. He asked me how he could stop this from happening, and I have no idea. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Old Cervelo P2K - Shift cables cutting into frame, how to fix? [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep the cable stop in the hole. If it won't stay, something is stuck- maybe gunked up cable/housing.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Cervelo P2K - Shift cables cutting into frame, how to fix? [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the cable can become slack enough that the ferrule slips out of the pocket in the frame... that would suggest that the cable is way out of adjustment and you (he) should fix that or get a competent mechanic to do it. That kerf in the frame is a big stress riser and if the load there is high enough it will initiate a stress crack at that point.

It's unfortunate, but your friend let it go until basically damaged the frame beyond repair.
Basically, the frame is substantially damaged and should not be ridden until you (he) can fix the frame. I don't know what alloy the frame is; but a competent welder could possibly weld that up, and then you would have to re-machine the cable entry so it fits a ferrule properly.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Cervelo P2K - Shift cables cutting into frame, how to fix? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about drilling a stress relief hole at the end of the cut instead of welding it? Basically treating it like an onset crack.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Cervelo P2K - Shift cables cutting into frame, how to fix? [GuidoK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GuidoK wrote:
What about drilling a stress relief hole at the end of the cut instead of welding it? Basically treating it like an onset crack.

That could also work but you'd have to drill a hole of about 4 mm or larger to do any good... and then make sure that it was properly deburred both inside and out. I suppose then you could fill it with epoxy. If that epoxy ever came out you'd know that things were moving enough that the frame was compromised.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Cervelo P2K - Shift cables cutting into frame, how to fix? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea with the epoxy. I got good results with coloring it so you could even closely match the appearance of the anodized frame without paint.
Quote Reply