Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old, Slow, shorts too small
Quote | Reply
Been a while. Life happens, and all that. Trying to get back in shape, and am running into some new problems this time around, as I close in on 50. Looking to see if anyone has some useful advice on a few items. Please, no laughing...

1. Large print bike computer. No, not kidding. It's just a blurry mass in front of me now. When I need to see something or check my phone, I need to make a full stop & pull out the readers from my Camelbak.
2. Stick-on silicone reader lenses. There are a few brands out there, but they all seem to be water adhesive. I'm sure they work fine on "normal" sunglasses, but I'm worried that the sweat & wind of bike rides means that they'd have a very short lifespan. Has anyone tried these, or have other suggestions?
3. Bring it on. Recommendations for reader type swim goggles. Has anyone tried the stick-on reader lenses with swim goggles? I'm a big fan of TYR Special Ops, but I'm having to hold my Finis gizmo further & further away.

Thanks in advance.

ben
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt automatically adjusts the size of the text based on how many fields I want to show and I can change it at anytime during the ride. No help on the others, but that might be worth looking into.
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. The Wahoo was my first pick, but I wanted to be thorough. The notifications are important to me, as my wife & kids get a bit jumpy during the longer rides where I may not have signal or answer the phone. (recently moved, last ride had 15 mile segment on dirt road with no meaningful cell signal) I need to see texts, and there ins't much available online about the size of the notifications screen. I don't like spending money twice when good devices cost a few hundred dollars.

Is the notification equally "large print"? Doesn't seem to be a marketing feature they want to show off. "Are you past your prime and trying to hang on to the shreds of your youth? Then we've got the product for you! The large-print Wahoo Elemnt!" Doesn't seem to roll off the tongue....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m trying to picture the text alerts. I want to say it takes up the bottom third of the screen, although I know most of my texts are too long to appear. I can usually read the first line or two and that tells me if it’s important enough to stop and get a phone. I’ll see if I can find mine tonight, have my wife text me and take a picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again, I appreciate it!

ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent you a PM... drop me a line with your address and I’ll email some pictures over. I think the Elemnt is a bigger version of the Bolt, so that would be even better for you.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: May 6, 18 19:54
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't read my old 910XT so I got a Bolt and it wasn't only the text size but more the closeness of it to my eyes. I got a set of Tifosi readers https://www.tifosioptics.com/...cal-cycling-glasses/. This combo was awesome! I since sold the Bolt and got a pair of the new Everysight Raptor sunglasses that has all the data projected in the lens and doesn't require readers for viewing. I do use the Tifosi glasses while running so I can read the 935 I have on my wrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For seeing the bike computer:

I wore glasses for a long time on the bike -- in my younger days. Why not bifocals in:

1. A sports frame
2. A safety frame (or Ray Ban-type frame)

I guess they might not fit under a shield on a bike helmet, but...
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I thought about dedicated glasses, but to me cycling glasses have proven to be semi-disposable - the sweat combined with road grit means they only last a year or so, not to mention loss or crash damage. I do wear contacts for long distance correction, so really I only need the reader portion anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [Gregman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Greg. The Tifosi's seem like a great deal. Those other glasses (Everysight Raptor?) sound straight out the Terminator movies - really cool - but I would likely lose, break, or otherwise step on them. Even at the 'desk job' I manage to go through about 1 pair of readers per month!
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have bifocal safety glasses for house work, but they've proven to be uncomfortable on rides, plus I do like to have some tint. i already use contacts for distance vision, the reading glasses issue is only about a year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the full sized Elemnt does the same data field zoom/unzoom as the Bolt.

Otherwise, get a very nice otterbox for a large cell phone and get a very large cell phone mount for your stem. Some of the apps have huge font data fields.

I'm a Bolt guy, but started out with a phone zip tied to my stem running Strava. Strava premium and some apps even pair bluetooth HRM or power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried them, but
https://www.dualeyewear.com/cycling-sport.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benjpi wrote:
Thanks. I thought about dedicated glasses, but to me cycling glasses have proven to be semi-disposable - the sweat combined with road grit means they only last a year or so, not to mention loss or crash damage. I do wear contacts for long distance correction, so really I only need the reader portion anyway.

Are multi-focal Contacts not an option for you? I made the switch to them this year, and am liking them so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't even aware that was an option, i'll have to look into those at my next eye appointment. Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benjpi wrote:
Been a while. Life happens, and all that. Trying to get back in shape, and am running into some new problems this time around, as I close in on 50. Looking to see if anyone has some useful advice on a few items. Please, no laughing...

1. Large print bike computer. No, not kidding. It's just a blurry mass in front of me now. When I need to see something or check my phone, I need to make a full stop & pull out the readers from my Camelbak.
2. Stick-on silicone reader lenses. There are a few brands out there, but they all seem to be water adhesive. I'm sure they work fine on "normal" sunglasses, but I'm worried that the sweat & wind of bike rides means that they'd have a very short lifespan. Has anyone tried these, or have other suggestions?
3. Bring it on. Recommendations for reader type swim goggles. Has anyone tried the stick-on reader lenses with swim goggles? I'm a big fan of TYR Special Ops, but I'm having to hold my Finis gizmo further & further away.

Thanks in advance.

ben

Are you wearing prescription glasses? If not, or if you're wearing contacts, I'm having pretty good experiences with Dual sunglasses (https://www.dualeyewear.com). I got a set that came with tinted, yellow, and clear lenses. Very happy with them. They work very well for cycling - the reading part is exactly where my computer is - but less well for driving though.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benjpi wrote:
I wasn't even aware that was an option, i'll have to look into those at my next eye appointment. Thanks for the tip!

What contacts are you currently using? Acuvue makes 2-week and daily Multi-focal w/ 8.4 base curve, Cooper makes Daily and Monthly, and Bausch and Lomb make Monthly all 3 with 8.6 base curve.

I had Acuvue Oasys single focal and wanted to try out the other brands, mostly because of Costco selling Cooper as Kirkland brand. Turns out the 8.6 base curve will not work for me. The B&L occasionally felt like it was going to pop off my eye, and the Coopers caught my lower eyelid with every blink. Acuvue feel the best, and they work pretty well, but I think the B&L gave the best Reader Performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I like that my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt automatically adjusts the size of the text based on how many fields I want to show and I can change it at anytime during the ride. No help on the others, but that might be worth looking into.

I second this. I use the Wahoo Bolt, but same thing, I can change size on the fly and is very easy to see. (I'm in the same boat). More fields smaller font.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sport Bifocals. Only trouble is, with Polarized, sometimes hard to read the screens.
https://www.dualeyewear.com/cycling-sport.html

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was just at Walmart. They have bifocal safety glasses, including sunglasses - non polarized. Here it was $7 a pair. Hard to find inside the store, as usually you find them in a 1/2 tube display hanging on endcap, usually in tools or sports area. At least once I have ordered on line, with in store pickup. Was ready within the hour (meaning it was there, I just could not find).

Otherwise, I use XX2i, with bifocals (polarized). Can always find some type of discount code. I believe they are a subsidiary of Rudy Project.

Lastly, on occasion you can find reader clear safety glasses at Harbor Freight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
53 here. Myopia, presbyopia, astigmatism. My optometrist recommended contact lenses. Right eye is a prescription for distance, left is a prescription for reading. Sounds weird but it works.

Strava
Last edited by: kornpett: May 10, 18 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [kornpett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife uses a reading contact in one eye and a distance in the other, she's so used to it now it's her daily setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [kornpett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long did it take you to get used to that? I tried it a few times and bailed out each after 2 or 3 hours because it gave me headaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Old, Slow, shorts too small [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
How long did it take you to get used to that? I tried it a few times and bailed out each after 2 or 3 hours because it gave me headaches.

I seem to recall that it took a few hours. No headaches. I only wear contacts for riding outside and racing, so irregularly, but it seems like an instantaneous adjustment now when I put them in.

Strava
Quote Reply