Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would imagine that if a real swimmer read this thread they would be laughing at a bunch of people arguing about "real swimmers" and whether or not you should/shouldn't wear a watch....and the fact that your 12th 100 is 3/32's of a second off....therefore the data is useless.

The reason I asked the question in the first place was out of sarcasm. Nevertheless, here we are 6 pages later....and since we are posting pics. Here is one of Lucy in the pool...with a watch.


Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Oct 25, 18 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I would imagine that if a real swimmer read this thread they would be laughing at a bunch of people arguing about "real swimmers" and whether or not you should/shouldn't wear a watch....and the fact that your 12th 100 is 3/32's of a second off....therefore the data is useless.

The reason I asked the question in the first place was out of sarcasm. Nevertheless, here we are 6 pages later....and since we are posting pics. Here is one of Lucy in the pool.


I'm certainly laughing at this thread, and also wondering what the definition of a "real swimmer" is. I am 36 and have been swimming competitively for 30 years, and was an Olympic trials level distance freestyler, but yet I am still getting smoked by some adult onset swimmers in IM swim legs. Do you get the honor of being called a real swimmer when you eclipse a certain time, or do you have do have some level of experience?

I think triathletes in general are all smart enough to figure out if wearing a watch helps you in pool training - it is an annoyance and useless for me but go for it if it helps you.

Strava
Last edited by: sch340: Oct 25, 18 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

I'm certainly laughing at this thread, and also wondering what the definition of a "real swimmer" is. I am 36 and have been swimming competitively for 30 years, and was an Olympic trials level distance freestyler, but yet I am still getting smoked by some adult onset swimmers in IM swim legs. Do you get the honor of being called a real swimmer when you eclipse a certain time, or do you have do have some level of experience?

If you can do a full deck change in less than 45 seconds, you are a real swimmer.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Real swimmers don’t use the clock “because they always have.” I laid out data, I presented an argument and you don’t buy it. Fine. But for you to presume you know more about what motivates me is the height of arrogance.

Ive tried to use the watch. It doesn’t do what I want. You have to accomdate the watch to get consistent results, it takes your focus away from your swimming, it sacrifices streamline and when the “wrong” hand touches the wall the data is inconsistent. I get it. Those little things don’t add up to much and you have found ways to account for them. But the difference between success and failure can be as small as .35 / 100. Little things do t matter to you But that - not your send off times - is why you aren’t a real swimmer. You have no respect for the sport. My son is debating between taking 4 or 5 dolphin kicks off the wall in a 50. You think pushing off with your right hand in the wrong position is irrelevant.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Oct 25, 18 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the clock to start/stop intervals, and have my watch as backup in case I lose track of where i am, then keep all the data so i can see where I'm at year on year... best of both worlds!!

By the way...this thread is a good reason why this site is often referred to as Slow Twits. Started well, tailed off badly.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy, that escalated quickly. I have no respect for the sport? 😂

Your argument in this post is much better than your one about the data which I responded to previously. But I still don’t think it’s relevant in the realm of triathlon swimming.

Edit: and where did I say I knew what motivated you? Why are you so angry?
Last edited by: Sean H: Oct 25, 18 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So to summarize, swimmers are as elitist and weird now as ever. Got it.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 26, 18 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [The59Swim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to the Louisville practice, cool to watch!!! And not a watch in sight. :)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I would imagine that if a real swimmer read this thread they would be laughing at a bunch of people arguing about "real swimmers" and whether or not you should/shouldn't wear a watch....and the fact that your 12th 100 is 3/32's of a second off....therefore the data is useless.
The reason I asked the question in the first place was out of sarcasm. Nevertheless, here we are 6 pages later....and since we are posting pics. Here is one of Lucy in the pool...with a watch.


She's also wearing a swimskin in a pool...

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:

Posted above. But you're right. If we extrapolate from the poll and assume republicans constitute approximately 50% of the population, and assume that zero democrats believe any of his lies, it's more like 40% of the US population doesn't know how to distinguish truth from falsehood. It's disappointing that I'm not more wrong.


depending on which polls/measurements you want to believe, Rs are about 30% of the population. Encouragingly, that means well over 70% of the population is capable of distinguishing truth from falsehood. For the rest, note we are in base crazy territory here, the 27% Crazification Factor identified back in the Bush years. The problem is that gerrymandering and Fox News and voter suppression and Facebook Russian ads, between them all, give that crazy base surprising power.


"Tyrone: Obama vs. Alan Keyes. Keyes was from out of state, so you can eliminate any established political base; both candidates were black, so you can factor out racism; and Keyes was plainly, obviously, completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Head-trauma crazy. But 27% of the population of Illinois voted for him. They put party identification, personal prejudice, whatever ahead of rational judgement. Hell, even like 5% of Democrats voted for him. That's crazy behaviour. I think you have to assume a 27% Crazification Factor in any population."
Last edited by: doug in co: Oct 26, 18 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I did see, and wrote about it on here, a guy rock up with a lane to himself and swim 100 lcm unimaginably quickly for 60 minutes that watching him prevented me from swimming it was so captivating to watch

once swam in the Edinburgh Commonwealth 50m pool, got in for a short 20min workout while waiting for #1 son to finish his weights workout, then swam with him for another 40min.
When I started, a swimmer in the next lane was doing 100 repeats in about 1:00-1:02 on each repeat, when we got out, she was still going.. turned out to be Keri-Anne Payne training for the Rio 10k..

no watch, oddly. ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he was a 1:53LCM 200F and 1:39/4:25 200/500yds while at Harvard. I wonder how fast he is in the pool now if he says he can do 10x400s under 4:40 with 45-60 sec rest. I'd put him at a 4:07-4:10 400LCM and maybe 1:43/4:35 200/500yds.
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the 10x400's is pretty impressive. I certainly can't do that now, but that would have been a regular staple back in high school and college, but on less rest that Jan used (more like a 5:00 send off).

not at monty--

as for the watch debate (which is pretty freaking silly and I haven't even gotten all the way through the thread), I use one, anyone care to call me not a real swimmer? My Garmin920 never gets the distance wrong, unless I dip below the 1:00/100y pace, then it can miss a length here and there. I know this, so I put the watch into drill mode and tell it how far I went at the end of an interval. I used to use a simple Timex and write down all the splits from my main set. The swim watch makes that easier, and it tracks distance so I don't have to do the math to determine what 100 I might be on if I lose focus for a couple laps. I can remember every time from a 20x100 set, but the watch means I don't have to.

The reasons to use a watch:
-auto sync to whatever training log
-historical tracking. I do the same sets over and over and have 5 or so test sets that I want to see progress on.
-accuracy is fine, you just need to understand there will be an offset between a watch and pace clock, and even a third-party timing you (coach or actual clock system with a touchpad), as long as you're consistent.
-having a clock when there is no pace clock, or it can't be trusted. I've seen analog clocks that glitch at the same spot around the dial, and I've seen digital pace clocks get unplugged by dbags who want to charge their phone while sitting in the hot tub.

Reasons not to wear a watch:
-maybe it throws off your stroke (but really not much, and you can adapt)
-getting the most accurate time means finishing with two hands all the time

I think it's a wash on which is more convenient. Pushing a button as you push off and finish is totally not difficult. Sometimes seeing the watch during a flipturn is hard (esp with foggy goggles), if you want to check your pace every 100 (which I do), but if the pace clock on the wall is in a bad spot, you either pick your head up going into your turn, coming out of it, or maybe can't see it all all unless you are stopped on the wall, and each of those impacts your technique. I would argue in a triathlon perspective, having to pick your head up coming off the wall to see a clock at the other end of the pool is good, as it practices sighting, but then you have a 2-3s delay in getting your split.

For a team environment, it is the coaches' job to track splits of important intervals. They give the 'ready..go', start their stopwatch, and give swimmers their time at the end. I don't swim in a group, so I have no coach on the deck, so I use a watch. You can't get tenths of a second from a digital wall clock that doesn't have them, or from the analog pace clock. Doing hard or decend 100's, I want those tenths.

When I swam on a team, I didn't wear a watch because I didn't need to. Had a coach for important splits, and who would track our performance and adjust the same sets over time through harder intervals. Always had a working pace clock.

Do I use the watch to care about my splits within my first 300 warmup? Nope. Having each 25 documented isn't useful in training for a 500 or a 1-mile open water swim, but it is if you're training for a 100.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You wear a watch when you swim. Ergo, you are not a Real Swimmer (tm). Don't you know how this works yet?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes, here is the interview we were all waiting for!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, a bit late to the party but that was me...
I knew who he was, I'd been told in the days leading up that he was trying to break the record and true to his word he lit it up like a Christmas tree...

I held on until the turn and thought better of it...(I doubt I coulda held on anyway)
and then another guy came up alongside me and we cruised to the finish..
I knew I was going to battle late in the day and the difference in effort between 46 and 47/48 is massive..

Big fella can swim like a fish!!! Huge performance!
Quote Reply

Prev Next