Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oh to be a "Celeb!"
Quote | Reply
Matt was asked to participate in the race by the Ironman organization. In order to participate, Matt had to prove his ability to safely compete by crossing the finish line at a Half Ironman this past summer. His finish at the Lake Stevens 70.3 race well under the 8-hour cut-off not only earned him his way to Kona, but gave him some greatly-needed confidence as well in a sport he’s just begun. Matt and Suzy have a greater mission in mind in all this - they’d like to provide some encouragement for people of “size” to get moving and get healthier. Matt thanks K-Swiss and Ceepo for the help they’ve given him on his Ironman journey.

http://weraisethebar.com/ironhoover.html

--------------------------------
Dream it. Plan it. Do it.

Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [swbkrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, is the fault with him or with WTC? If they asked me to participate, I would in a second (likely never going to qualify other than lottery)

Although... he went 7:34 at Lake Stevens. No idea about the course, but that's a long time to be out there, and that was jsut two months ago, not a long time to get in better shape....

And I don't know that 26 minutes is considered "well under" the 8 hour cutoff... he was getting pretty close there
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 8, 09 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither, he did EARN a slot according to the rules they set. It is their job as a company to create a media interest in the event. Not only with the person in question go to Kona, reporters will follow and we can then market the events to a new demographic - possibly even have fliers at Bariatric clinics at the exit doors. NBC (or whom ever) will have a nice spot (with Peter Gabriel in the back round as I had mentioned), he will get more TV time and probably a paid trip to Kona...and what network is Biggest Loser on (no I am not going to look it up). The US needs more feel good stories......now, will someone give me a hug?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Neither, he did EARN a slot according to the rules they set. It is their job as a company to create a media interest in the event. Not only with the person in question go to Kona, reporters will follow and we can then market the events to a new demographic - possibly even have fliers at Bariatric clinics at the exit doors. NBC (or whom ever) will have a nice spot (with Peter Gabriel in the back round as I had mentioned), he will get more TV time and probably a paid trip to Kona...and what network is Biggest Loser on (no I am not going to look it up). The US needs more feel good stories......now, will someone give me a hug?

I can see the books now... "Eat your way to Ironman!"

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Matt was asked to participate in the race by the Ironman organization. In order to participate, Matt had to prove his ability to safely compete by crossing the finish line at a Half Ironman this past summer. His finish at the Lake Stevens 70.3 race well under the 8-hour cut-off not only earned him his way to Kona, but gave him some greatly-needed confidence as well in a sport he’s just begun. Matt and Suzy have a greater mission in mind in all this - they’d like to provide some encouragement for people of “size” to get moving and get healthier. Matt thanks K-Swiss and Ceepo for the help they’ve given him on his Ironman journey.

I love The Biggest Loser but this is total bull shit. He led a horribly unhealthy life, competed for money to lose weight and now is getting a spot in this race. Bull shit.

I think not making it might be a wake up call for some of these "parachute" into an Ironman types.

Ken [Yes I am bitter.]

Ps. For karma purposes I hope he makes it and I REALLY hope he generates a TON of money for charity.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In a sport where 150 pounds is the average weight, he will likely be the heaviest competitor on race day, but far from the heaviest in Ironman history. Darryl Haley, former NFL Defensive Lineman raced in 1997 at 300 pounds. It was said he consumed 17,000 calories on race day to cross the finish line in 16:44. Those calories are a big concern for Matt.

Uh... the average weight for women?

240? Eh, my anatomy TA is 220 and did an a sub-15 at AZ last year.

Just for the record, this guy needs to harden the f up. "Boo hoo, everyone else is skinner than me at the world championships for IRONMAN! I hope I don't embarrass myself!" Let's have a chat, amigo. Everyone here is skinny because everyone here, except for you, spends twenty plus hours a week working out, and has for the past six months or so. Why? Because they dedicated this year to making the world championships for ironman. Because it's important to everyone here... but you. So, yeah, you're an outsider, for these reasons: 1) You're fat. 2) Everyone else made this commitment more than 8 weeks ago. 3) Actually, they don't call it a commitment. They call it a lifestyle. 4) This isn't a publicity stunt to them. This is the end of a very long road.
Last edited by: persondude27: Oct 8, 09 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Lots of hatin' in here. Hell, I hope he beats the cut off and finishes. I know I would like RATHER earn a spot, but if one landed in my mailbox I would go.

I watch the show and must admit, some of it irritates the living shit out of me, but they do make major changes in these folks and LOTS of people watch it. I've seen the effects of some of my family members and it's basically like this "if that big fat dude can do it...I sure as hell can"...and then it begins starting with eating better and exercise.

I know it's the World Champs and many of us aspire to qualifying, but they do give out many lottery slots every year, so he will have company. I don't feel slighted that he is there and I'm not. If one fat person decides to make a change after watching or reading about him, that is one fat person that probably wouldn't give a shit about watching or reading about me. Then again, maybe I'm biased. I was short, fat shot and disc guy in track in high school fresh / soph years. 2 years later I was on an althetic scholarship running XC for a D1 school.

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [persondude27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone here is skinny because everyone here, except for you, spends twenty plus hours a week working out, and has for the past six months or so. Why? Because they dedicated this year to making the world championships for ironman.

Um no.

#1: I don't spend 20 plus hours/week
#2: Even if I did I couldn't qualify

Fine, the guy got a media entry. Maybe someone else in America will see his coverage on NBC and get off
their couch and get healthier. It takes precisely one person to do that and it would be worth it.

Let's take a quick poll:

1) How many people have lead a race within sight of the finish line and collapsed, crawled across,
come in fourth?

Oh, not you? Then I guess Julie Moss is a piker.

2) How many of you are over 60 carrying your son around the race?

Oh, not you? Those Hoyts have done nothing for the sport.

You didn't know IM had media entries? Whose fault is that? If I did IMH on a media
entry vs a lottery (my two options) I would hope to comport myself with dignity.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bravo.

Seriously, if one or two people are motivated by Matt Hoover, then good for NAS. Have people seen their fellow citizens? We're a dan fat country and rather than look down on people, let's have some people to look up to. Someone, I don't know, normal.

Bravo.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
don't hate the player

hate the game

I don't think it could be put any better.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Everyone here is skinny because everyone here, except for you, spends twenty plus hours a week working out, and has for the past six months or so. Why? Because they dedicated this year to making the world championships for ironman.

Um no.

#1: I don't spend 20 plus hours/week
#2: Even if I did I couldn't qualify

Fine, the guy got a media entry. Maybe someone else in America will see his coverage on NBC and get off
their couch and get healthier. It takes precisely one person to do that and it would be worth it.

Let's take a quick poll:

1) How many people have lead a race within sight of the finish line and collapsed, crawled across,
come in fourth?

Oh, not you? Then I guess Julie Moss is a piker.

2) How many of you are over 60 carrying your son around the race?

Oh, not you? Those Hoyts have done nothing for the sport.

You didn't know IM had media entries? Whose fault is that? If I did IMH on a media
entry vs a lottery (my two options) I would hope to comport myself with dignity.

-Jot

1) I realize that you don't spend 20 hours a week training. Your goal isn't Kona. The post suggested that he was complaining about Kona. So, saying "here" was meant to refer to the starting line in Kona.

2) Julie Moss gave her heart and soul in that race. If I could race as hard as she did that day, I would NEVER be disappointed with a race. What does her race have to do with me criticizing a guy who's getting paid to try to finish?

3) I know all about media entries. I think they're moderately lame, but I understand that they are what allows NBC [now Universal?] and other companies to send all their cameramen, equipment, helicopters, etc, out to the race. They make it a "televisable" event. If it was just a bunch of hard-core triathletes, the general public wouldn't watch, and so NBC wouldn't broadcast it.

4) I don't care that he got a media entry. I'm mad that he is whining about it:
Quote:
Matt will enter the race on October 10th at a current weight of 240. In a sport where 150 pounds is the average weight, he will likely be the heaviest competitor on race day.

I always thought triathlons are for 155 pounders and that will never be me.
Last edited by: persondude27: Oct 8, 09 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I love The Biggest Loser but this is total bull shit. He led a horribly unhealthy life, competed for money to lose weight and now is getting a spot in this race. Bull shit.

Awww, but ain't that America...

I lost 40lbs. on my own as a senior in high school, no coach, no cameras, no contest, no weight loss system, just good diet and exercise. So where the fux my spot in Kona?

Last edited by: thetodd: Oct 8, 09 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent him some encouragement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get the hate. Are there that many ST'ers that are that pissed off just because they can't qualify for the big show at Kona.

Kona is about sponsorship. Sponsorship is about publicity. Publicity is about TV coverage and more public awareness of the sport. Celeb spots do this. A lot more people know who Matt is because of the Biggest Loser show than know who Macca is. Nobody is being bumped out of a qualifying spot because of this. This is a heck of an accomplishment for a former 340 lb fatty. I'd cheer him across the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To say he led a "horribly unhealthy life" is a bit of a stretch. While I realize (as did he) that he let himself get incredibly out of shape. He was hardly the couch potato that your post insinuates. He wrestled at the premier college program in the nation (Iowa) as a heavyweight earning all kinds of honors along the way. If anyone here knows anything about that sport, you know that to reach that level you need discipline that rivals any sport, even triathlon. He achieved elite level success in his sport that few of us on this sight will ever know. Since the show he and his wife (whom he met on the show) have dedicated his life to this message and are really making a difference. I'll let you all make up your own minds on whether or not you think these slots should even exist. But, since they do, and his job is to get his message out there....how could he NOT take that slot.

As he is now on our team, I had the pleasure of getting to know him a little over the summer. I can tell you that he takes this sport very seriously and both he and his wife fully intend to continue doing triathlons indefinitely in the future. I saw him showing up at local bike races and running races just to watch. Believe me, he embraces the lifestyle and I'm thrilled to consider him among our number now. I realize I'm a bit off topic as this is more about the question of unearned slots.

I met with him right before he left as he was really unsure of his nutritional program and I can tell you he's super nervous and has great respect for the race. It's going to be a huge challenge for him to finish but I'm definitely in his corner as you won't meet a nicer more humble guy (that could kick any 10 of our asses:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [SpencerDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good post Spencer. Shows us chiropractors have compassion. :-)
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Oct 8, 09 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [SpencerDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said I'm bitter. I hope he kills the course and thousands of Americans take up a healthy lifestyle. My guess is none do. For every 1 person in the US who takes up a healthy lifestyle 10 more are probably classified as Super Morbidly Obese (not a fact just what I think).

Ken

Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said I am bitter. I would cheer him across the line also.

Ken

Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't get the hate. Are there that many ST'ers that are that pissed off just because they can't qualify for the big show at Kona.

Kona is about sponsorship. Sponsorship is about publicity. Publicity is about TV coverage and more public awareness of the sport. Celeb spots do this. A lot more people know who Matt is because of the Biggest Loser show than know who Macca is. Nobody is being bumped out of a qualifying spot because of this. This is a heck of an accomplishment for a former 340 lb fatty. I'd cheer him across the finish line.
This is one of ST's oldest Kona traditions: hating on someone who didn't "earn" their way to IMH. Right up there with what type of wheels to use on the Queen K. I suggest the haters save the envy for the "cry like a little biatch" thread when it gets resurrected later this winter.

IT'S JUST SO UNFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"hating on someone who didn't "earn" their way to IMH"

True story - my wife went to Kona last year on a lottery spot. One of the first questions others ask is "where did you qualify". My wife had to explain about a hundred times that she didn't qualify but won a lottery spot. Virtually everybody was then very supportive with the same "let's help the newbie out" friendliness that you see at the local home town tri, but there was one guy that turned and walked away when she told him she was there on a lottery. But he was the only one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just a race, dude. It's not like these guys are getting into heaven without being nice.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Oh to be a "Celeb!" [persondude27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2) Julie Moss gave her heart and soul in that race. If I could race as hard as she did that day, I would NEVER be disappointed with a race. What does her race have to do with me criticizing a guy who's getting paid to try to finish

My point was that these were iconic moments in IM that are at least partially responsible
for the continued growth and success of our sport. Biggest Loser will also help with that.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

best of luck to him, I hope he does well.

but in the photo at the end of that weblink: why is he wearing an M-dot visor? he hasn't completed a full IM, just the Lake Stevens HIM...

commence the hating on him for this fashion faux-pas....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone really care about Ironman anymore? I mean, I'm not talking about doing it, or participating in it, I'm talking about "caring" about it.

The whole org seems to be so far down the toilet, why even bother complaining? Bring on the official baby strollers, bring on the celebrities, and especially bring on the M-dot tattoos for a half. All of this only helps hasten the implosion which seems inevitable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether."
Quote Reply

Prev Next