Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread
Quote | Reply
The latest posts of the "This Place is Boring Thread" got me to thinking.

...since racing seems to be starting in the USA and in many places around the globe.

And that things here in the Great White North seem to be only getting worse and tightening up even more so.

What are you Mr. or Ms. Moosebreath doing, to keep your tri-spirit alive in the months to come?

What province you are from and some local insights would be neat as well.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A humble request from the southern barbarian side: could you guys get your stuff in order before IMMT 70.3 (end of June), please!
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PEI and TriPEI appears to have all the usual races planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNS cancelled the porters lake tri, even though our cases are really low and that’s not until June (I think)

Cycling events are going ahead. Gonna be toeing the start line for my first crit since 2004 in less than a month. Woot woot!

Not sure if I should race in Bs or Cs. I might do B then if I get dropped badly, move down for the next race.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in New Brunswick. Nothing to see here. move along please.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We apparently have more vaccines arriving in April than Dec-March combined. I'm on the waitlist for Barrelman in Sept and I'm confident it'll happen. My swim fitness will be crap, but so will everyone else's.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are considering going over for that crit if the bubble is in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice, be good to see you. You gonna race A's?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
A humble request from the southern barbarian side: could you guys get your stuff in order before IMMT 70.3 (end of June), please!

I wouldn't hold your breath. Tremblant 70.3 is one of the best events, full or half, I've been to, but it seems like everything before July 1 is a no-go in Ontario and Quebec.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
nice, be good to see you. You gonna race A's?

No way. I would get slaughtered! I can TT with the A's and only get my ego slightly bruised. As soon as road bikes are involved, I'm getting smashed off the back in no time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

but most importantly, will there be a wolfville roubaix?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every time I see Facebook posts coming from the tri-geeks in Penticton I feel really sad for them .I know this time of year they are usually jumping out of their collective skin to get on the roads together with Easter training camps and all that jazz and this year it all just seems so quiet. Waiting for what seems to be the inevitable cancellations must be excruciating, especially for all the race directors in the valley.

At least they still have their wine... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in BC Metro Van.
Still sticking to my training plan (2 HIM, and One IM this year), and trying to remain positive. Some of our bike group rides are starting; and I have some folks to run with - so that helps. I have actually used the opportunity of not racing to improve my swimming. Joined a Master's group and my swim pace has drastically improved over the past 6 months. Generally not missing racing that much as I have made new friends and joined discipline specific communities.
Looks like at the very least the races in Washington state are going ahead, so all I need now is the border to open up by July. 😉
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for feeling sad for us,them, we, me.
Easter Weekend saw a lot of action on Highway 97 & East Side Road.
Alas, the hammer has already fallen on the Oliver 1/2, as well as the entire Dynamic Race Events series.
Peach Classic cancelled.
This was supposed to be the FIRST year of a new triathlon in OK Falls. Still on?
Ultraman.... still a go? Chad says yes!
Fondo in Pent. resched. to September.
You may NEED to come back to Penticton to visit. = Neighbourhood Brewing!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [werfetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the million dollar question... the border! I am hoping to be able to race in the US this summer, but I cannot do the 14-day quarantine when I come back. So until that's gone, so is the likelihood of racing (doesn't sound like there will be much for racing in BC this summer). Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is likely that the Canada-US border remains closed until at least September. The US would like to see it open but Canada will keep it closed. The Maritimes in particular will not want it opened.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the rate of vaccinations in the US compared to Canada, it will soon be safer to be south of the border! Unfortunately there is so much (undeserved) anti-American sentiment in Canada that you may be correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:

wait.. there are tris in PEI ?!
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alligatorCAN wrote:
With the rate of vaccinations in the US compared to Canada, it will soon be safer to be south of the border! Unfortunately there is so much (undeserved) anti-American sentiment in Canada that you may be correct.

Not really. It still isn’t clear whether the vaccine prevents the spread of the virus, or just reduces the impact of the disease. Our rollout has been much slower than yours, so that means that anyone who has not been vaccinated needs to still exercise an abundance of caution, maybe even more than ore-vaccine.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

wait.. there are tris in PEI ?!

Usually a couple, a sprint in Georgetown and a sprint + olympic in Summerside. A few Duathlons as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alberta FFS. Land of Premier Randy.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
TriNS cancelled the porters lake tri, even though our cases are really low and that’s not until June (I think)

Cycling events are going ahead. Gonna be toeing the start line for my first crit since 2004 in less than a month. Woot woot!

Not sure if I should race in Bs or Cs. I might do B then if I get dropped badly, move down for the next race.

My understanding is that the main cycling races are not going ahead, that they are not being given permits - may or may not be directly related to covid. I know there were some rumblings that the DOT were insisting that all bike races could only go ahead if riders were single file, lol....... Not sure if that is final or if they are still fighting it with DOT...

Also, aside from Porters lake tri, Melmerby has also been cancelled, and Keji is unknown, possibly holding it in Sept. And, while not officially announced, most folks I've asked have said there is zero chance the shearwater military base will allow a tri/du to happen this year...

So as of right now the only races I'm registered for and that I'm kind of hopeful might happen, are the Barrington marathon in July, and the Fredericton marathon in Sept I think...

Bring on 2022.....
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 6, 21 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

but most importantly, will there be a wolfville roubaix?

I have no info, but I can't see why there wouldn't be, not like its a sanctioned race. Just a friendly race flying over massive potholes on dirt roads.... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eastern Ontario
Tupper Lake Tinman in NY State - June - Cancelled
Local City Tri - August - Cancelled
Regional Series - have not updated their website from 2020 cancellations

SOS Triathlon in NY State - September - still on but they have yet to secure permits
Cx Series - Sept to Nov - Hopeful

Not looking good until possibly (hopefully) September.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh, woe is us. The sad beaver (Canadian) thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

My understanding is that the main cycling races are not going ahead, that they are not being given permits - may or may not be directly related to covid. I know there were some rumblings that the DOT were insisting that all bike races could only go ahead if riders were single file, lol....... Not sure if that is final or if they are still fighting it with DOT...

Also, aside from Porters lake tri, Melmerby has also been cancelled, and Keji is unknown, possibly holding it in Sept. And, while not officially announced, most folks I've asked have said there is zero chance the shearwater military base will allow a tri/du to happen this year...

So as of right now the only races I'm registered for and that I'm kind of hopeful might happen, are the Barrington marathon in July, and the Fredericton marathon in Sept I think...

Bring on 2022.....

I did hear that, They’re apparently fighting it, (and there were rumblings about that from pre-COVID times according to what I could gather from the Facebook posts) but since AMP is on a closed course that’ll be fine. I think Roadents will be running their road races as pursuits, assuming that nothing changes.

Keji isn’t going ahead (again, unless there are major developments) no events being permitted on federal land...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 6, 21 17:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next