Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Offline training software
Quote | Reply
I want some training software that does not require internet connection. The plan is to use at home 'online' and bring it to the firestation for workouts however, I cannot use internet or wifi at work. The programs that I have been interested in are Trainerroad, Cyclops Virtual(since I have the Supermagneto Pro) and/or ZWIFT. Im pretty sure ZWIFT is online specific but I have had a difficult time finding information on other software that is usable with no internet connection. 'Thank You' in advance for useful information.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You want to import garmin etc... data into this software automatically? If yes, then no idea other than their old and depreciated (in favor of online services) training center. Someone may have a better idea.

If no, use Notepad. Or Word. Or a spreadsheet so you can analyze the data. Or any calendar app if you want this in calendar format. There's probably one already on the computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PerfPro is a very good workout app and is (to my knowledge) entirely offline.

Golden Cheetah also has a workout mode that'll work completely offline, and is entirely free.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for my poorly worded question. Here's my redo...The 'Virtual' training experience really appeals to me. It seems all the really cool ones that show you 'virtually' riding on an actual race course or a pixelated race course require you to be online. Do any of them allow you to download the course to your computer and then set up somewhere with no internet? Allowing me to do a virtual training session with real time metrics and virtually riding a course.

Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check into those. I restated my question in the post above because I feel it was worded poorly. It's the virtual training that really interests me. Something that I can take my bike, trainer and computer somewhere that has no internet connection and still do a virtual training session with real-time metrics and the race course on the screen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your fire station doesn't have wifi? Every station in our fire department has wifi. The official work computers are wired to the internet for reports by the city but the wireless network at each station is for private use and we pay for that out of house dues. Do y'all have any rules against setting up a network for private use paid from your house dues?
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have been told not to put in private lines. That was per The City. We are a bit of a sub-culture out here in central Texas. Internet is The Devil!!! and putting in a private wifi system will deface property and potentially complicate the billing process. Atleast thats what we are told.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this not an option? 4G LTE is fast enough.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use Trainer road without an internet connection.

https://www.trainerroad.com/faq
Quote Reply
Post deleted by COJO [ In reply to ]
Re: Offline training software [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Is this not an option? 4G LTE is fast enough.

That looks like an option that will cost more data than I want to buy right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easiest - buy Sufferfest videos and hammer away at them at the fire station. You can view them on a cheap tablet (Amazon Fire $50) if you don't have one.
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
PerfPro is a very good workout app and is (to my knowledge) entirely offline.

Golden Cheetah also has a workout mode that'll work completely offline, and is entirely free.

PerfPro Studio works entirely offline and has heaps of workout options. Chuck in some videos of real races and have some great training sessions. Add in Sufferfest videos and tit becomes even better. Virtual power etc, etc, etc.

No I don't work for PerfPro but I've been using it for a number of years alone and in a small studio type setting.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycleops virtual will work just fine that way.

You won't be able to upload the workout until you get home but it will be fine otherwise.

Cycleops virtual allows you to download new courses, but once you download it, it is in your local computer and no more internet connection needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think only PerfPro offers that. I do not know about any other that will let you do it. With PerfPro, you can import any previous ride or export ride from Strava, or draw ride in mapmyride and export GPX then ride it offline.
Last edited by: sebo2000: Oct 9, 15 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that Tacx videos download to an iPad...

Or if you have (or would buy) one of the new FE-C trainers, they can be controlled from a Garmin device.

http://www.tritriagain.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I'm bringing this thread back because I need something that also matches the title, but not quite what the op was out for:

I just cancelled my ZWIFT account and need something simple for the occasional indoor ride with my smart trainer during the summer.

Needs:
  • is free of charge
  • runs on Android or iPad or AppleTV
  • Shows basic stats while riding: Wattage/Heart Rate/RPM/Distance/Time (yeah it needs to make some assumptions to determine speed from watts, but that's fine)
  • can control trainer resistance at click of a button (simple +/- style erg mode)
  • supports defining simple workouts with wattage targets
  • creates a file to upload to strava (ok that part is not offline)

Doesn't need:
  • Virtual reality or Real-Life footage of landscape
  • Racing or otherwise interacting with other riders over the internet
  • Pre-canned training plans (I'm fine setting up simple intervals myself and otherwise riding steady)

Any recommendations?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wahoo fitness app, does all of those and as far as I'm aware will work with non Wahoo trainers.

Here's the link https://play.google.com/...wahoofitness.fitness

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool,
was looking at it already since i actually do have a wahoo kickr core, but wasn't sure it does workouts.
Will try later today
thx

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok,
so the wahoo-app is good, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't support pre-defining a workout with given durations and wattages.
I have to memorize or write down my program and switch by hand every time...
not ideal.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any of the newer garmin head units can do all that, minus the iPad / Apple TV part.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Offline training software [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, unfortunately I think only edge units support that and not my forerunner 945.
[Edit 2021/01: Now my Forerunner 945 recognizes my Kickr and can set wattages or incline, I haven't checked, but I am sure it can therefore also do structured ERG-mode workouts that i create on Garmin Connect]

But I have found something that (on first try) seems pretty perfect. It is technically not free, but a 1-time cost for the app of a couple of Euros is still acceptable for me.
Only available on Android as far as I can tell...
link playstore

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Jan 14, 21 3:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using ICW for a couple of years. The workout creator is pretty good - I have a ton of 4 x 10 minute, 3 x 15 and 2 x 20 FTPish efforts defined. You need an OTG usb adapter to ANT+ (or native ANT+ support). Picks up my ANT+ candance, HR and runs my Wahoo KickR (2015) perfectly. I bought the PRO versions and coach based training plans - I think total cost was $7 or $8 dollars - (one time fee).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
Do any of them allow you to download the course to your computer and then set up somewhere with no internet? Allowing me to do a virtual training session with real time metrics and virtually riding a course.

Rouvy, but only in Training Mode. It is still VR but you can not see other rides (obviously). I don't know if it will upload the metrics when you reconnect or not. I've never done truly off line. I used to download the course before I would go into the garage to ride because the wireless signal wasn't good enough to keep up with the graphics, but it was still technically connected.

There is a free trial. You could test it out before you buy.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golden Cheetah has some trainer control features. I use it as a training log, but have never used the workout aspects of it to be able to speak to it's usability.
Quote Reply

Prev Next