Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official power2max support thread [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Cobble: what you describe is usually when there is a double signal when the magnet passes the speed sensor. Try varying the magnet to sensor distance and exact placement. I had this before on speed sensors.

@milesaway: yes, it's transferrable. 2 years, plus crash replacement policy.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I just received my P2max (rotor24.130) type S in the mail today. Thank you! After reading the installation instructions I have a question.

When installing the lock ring, the instructions say to "tighten the lock ring to te manufacturer specified torque". This value is shown on the calibration certificate. For rotor cranks it is 40-50 Nm.

My question is:

If I install the lock ring as instructed, with the supplied lock ring tool held in a vise, and applying torque by pulling on the crank arm (as pictured in the directions), how am I to measure the torque?

40-50 Nm is a lot of force. Do I just pretty much tighten it as hard as I can?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [avmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avmac wrote:
Hello,

I just received my P2max (rotor24.130) type S in the mail today. Thank you! After reading the installation instructions I have a question.

When installing the lock ring, the instructions say to "tighten the lock ring to te manufacturer specified torque". This value is shown on the calibration certificate. For rotor cranks it is 40-50 Nm.

My question is:

If I install the lock ring as instructed, with the supplied lock ring tool held in a vise, and applying torque by pulling on the crank arm (as pictured in the directions), how am I to measure the torque?

40-50 Nm is a lot of force. Do I just pretty much tighten it as hard as I can?

Thanks

I've always installed the nut in the same way and have never destroyed a nut, power meterer's never come loose.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Last edited by: Tillquist: Mar 27, 14 23:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi avmac,

tightening by hand with good force, but not all out is the way to go.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, I'm thinking you meant "installed" not "excited"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nicolas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved the magnet and that did the trick. Thanks Nicholas!

Quote | Reply
avmac wrote:
LOL, I'm thinking you meant "installed" not "excited"?

Yes :-)

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my Type S with Rotor 3d+ Qrings aero (semi-compact) 155mm crankset within 5 days of ordering...which included the weekend as well. Very impressed with the promptness!!!!

Just a couple of questions since this is my first time using power2max coming from a quarq elsa.

1. I noticed my power balance is way off. One quick 10-minute trainer ride at 47/53 and a longer 75-minute trainer ride @ 45/55 it was a steady 60-minute effort at 90% FTP. The longer ride was was done after running a 10k tempo, and I did feel my left leg to be a little weaker that ride, but it just seemed to be a big difference. When I was on my Quarq, I'm usually around 48/52. Is this power balance discrepancy common on the power2max?

2. my calibration showed -1180 at the beginning of my workout and after an hour on the trainer it was -1182. Is there a certain range for calibration #'s or a range for the variation?

3. I changed the OCP setting of the large ring of the rotor Qrings from 3 to 4. Do I need to do anything else to the powermeter to make sure it's functioning properly?

4. Is there an inflation in power with the oval rings?

THanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Astig,

to answer your questions:
1) Our power meters don't measure left-right balance by using a reed contact to distinguish between 0 to 180 and 180 to 360 degrees, but goes from torque peak to torque peak: it compares the relative power of the left leg power phase with the right leg power phase. So it can be a bit different from Quarq because of the different approach.
2) The calibration figure has no significance. Any offset changes during the ride (between auto zeros) are compensated by the temperature compensation mechanism.
3) Nope, nothing, except make sure you installed the chain rings properly :-)
4) No, we have tested oval rings and they don't inflate power - we measure at 50HZ and don't use discrete, event based cadence.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the cool info Nicolas! One thing that I want to add, i noticed the power readings were smoother than I was getting on the quarq...awesome. the only thing I don't like is it is a big pain in the butt to get the o-ring seated properly on the battery cap and staying in place. May I suggest making that 'lip' a little longer and to include some kind of a channel to hold the o-ring in place.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Astig: ....busted for not looking at the installation instructions ;-P.

The o-ring is super easy to install - you put it on after you close the battery compartment.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahahahaha! ST'ers don't need instructions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
Hahahahaha! ST'ers don't need instructions.

I had the same "problem" and was blowing my mind trying to figure out how the heck to get that tiny o-ring to stay around the lip of the cover. Even decided they had sent too small an o-ring before writing Nicolas to ask for a tip. Reading is fundamental;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my TypeS installed yesterday and I have paired it with my joule. I have a question, is there anything I need to change in regards to pairing with the joule? I see the circumference is listed at 2096 which is the default, did I pair it correctly? The power seems a bit higher than it should be, I've ridden a powertap for years so usually have a good sense of where my power is at
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [ATB24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ATB24 wrote:
Just got my TypeS installed yesterday and I have paired it with my joule. I have a question, is there anything I need to change in regards to pairing with the joule? I see the circumference is listed at 2096 which is the default, did I pair it correctly? The power seems a bit higher than it should be, I've ridden a powertap for years so usually have a good sense of where my power is at
thanks

A crank based power meter should read a bit higher than a Powertap as it's upstream of the drive train losses. Something like 2.5% would be on the right order of magnitude.......so 5 watts at a 200 watt effort and 7.5 at 300watts. The wheel circumference setting on the Joule will have no effect on power readings but it will on speed and distance if it's off.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I had a problem with my Power2max. My Garmin 310XT detects power meter but it can't calibrate it and no watts/cadence at all. So I think battery is died (without message, it was the first battery because power meter is 5 months old). I changed battery and power meter becomes alive again. After 4 days, 4 rides (about 2:00 - 2:30 hours each day) power meter had the same behavior. OK, I think that was a bad battery, so I replace and then after 2 days, 1 hour ride and 2 hours race... power meter has the same behavior. Now I have no more batteries and today I will try to buy new one in a local shop, because the other two came from Amazon, so, maybe they were too old.

What do you think about it ? When I change battery, led blinks always green, never red. I couldn't find any battery drain related with Power2max power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [achapela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI achapela,

when you open the battery compartment, does a red LED shine? That would be a sign of a weak battery.

The first thing I would try is to take a second bike computer if possible and see if you can reproduce the same issue with a different computer. If not then we know it's not an issue with the power meter not sending data, but with the Garmin not picking it up. Did you recently change the firmware on the Garmin?

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No red LED shine at all. One thing I have done the other day was take out the battery and put it again, greed led blinking starts, Garmin recognize it okl, it could calibrate it and few minutes later the same behavior, now watts, no calibration. Then I decided to change battery. First I had measure battery and I saw 2,85 V in supposed bad battery and 3,22 v in the new battery. My conclusion the new one was ok.

I will try to get another bike computer (Garmin 500) to test it, but I am pretty sure that it is no problem at all with bike computer. I didn't upgrade bike computer, it is the latest firmware version.

Could be a bad battery or near end of life battery ? After using 2 Renata battery, could I use another brand ? Recommendation is by Renata quality but not for fitting, that's it, any CR2450 battery should fit very well in battery compartment, is this true ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI Achapela,

please only use Renata batteries with the Classic. They are the only ones that fit the holder properly - unfortunately the manufacturers all have different tolerances.

Did you also measure the new battery again?

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I will do this afternoon when I will change for a new one.

Also measure a battery by this way, seeing only the voltage is not a reason to decide if a battery is good... the right way is trying to see amperage but it is very difficult or impossible... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am getting a new bike and wanted to know whether I need to transfer the entire crankset over or whether I can just transfer over the power meter portion. I currently have the FSA Gossamer BB30 version of the power2max power meter and the new bike is coming with a FSA SL-Light BB30 Carbon crankset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Joel,

unfortunately the SL-K doesn't allow power meters to be installed, because the spider is integrated. You will need to move the whole crankset over, plus the adapter bottom bracket (there is no BB30 version FSA Gossamer from us, just the BB30 Megaexo bottom bracket).

Best
nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have measure the new battery and it has 2,85V so it is wasted no ? Also, I have take out and put in again and I could see that the led blinks about 4-7 times and then the red led blinks one and then now led at all or some green blinks again...

I will buy a new battery in a few hours... if I could find it ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi achapela,

can you contact the support email in the region you purchased in? We'll help with it.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply

Prev Next