Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay sweet! If you don't mind me asking, what size is your frame? How tall are you? When I bought my bike, my LBS had never had a SC in there so he took measurements off my road bike. My RETUL fit was a nightmare and I am not anywhere near where he wants me. Trek thinks the 50/10 stem will me fit the medium frame better. My RETUL guy and my back are saying small. I am a long way from my bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I owe a HUGE HUGE and special thank-you to Mark Andrews at Trek who customized some pieces that allowed for the aero-bars to be attached underneath the base-bar, as well as allowed me to attach the arm pads directly to the base-bar so that I could get low enough in the front. Also, thank you to Wattie who customized a computer mount right to the front."

From her blog http://www.heatherjacksonracing.com/...ncept-ready-for.html some serious mods to the front end to make it as low as it is, unless you have some special friends at Trek..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Speedracer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@speedracer, this link sort of explains Heather Jackson's SC front end configuration http://www.heatherjacksonracing.com/...ncept-ready-for.html

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Robert and Grim. You know, everything I have read about our Speed Concept bikes say the Aero box off the frame makes the bike a little faster, yet the only person I have seen on the Trek K Swiss team using it is Julie Dibbens. No one else runs it. Makes me wonder......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedracer1 wrote:
Thanks Robert and Grim. You know, everything I have read about our Speed Concept bikes say the Aero box off the frame makes the bike a little faster, yet the only person I have seen on the Trek K Swiss team using it is Julie Dibbens. No one else runs it. Makes me wonder......

Don't know if I'll race with it either. Will certainly use it during training. I wonder if the pros aren't using it because most of them are running tubulars or maybe it's because they are so wicked fast they don't need to take a picnic with them.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are talking about the same one I am, right? The box on the back of the frame? I have mine on, but its where I am keeping my tire patch kit and co2 cartridges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is a medium. I'm 5'11", even proportions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, that's what I thought. I am barely 5'7 tall. I know I should be on a small frame and not a medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I took the 60/45 stem off and held it, seemed like quite a chunk of metal, enough to use for a book end or a small boat anchor, also higher means more frontal area and the 10mm rise for the 50/10 gives it a cleaner profile I think especially side on. For the people who would fit on a small or medium, the majority would likely opt for the more agressive 100/10 or 50/10 (assumption here). I really do think the 60/45 is a safe middle of the range size stem but if you're going to drop that sort of money on a bike you might as well look at every customisable component to be totally happy whatever your level of competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Grim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek is going to see how the 50/10 stem works for me before I totally swap out frames. The stem will get me lower I know, but I am not sure what it is going to do about my reach. At 5'7 and a short upper torso, I am long way to the front of my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedracer1 wrote:
You are talking about the same one I am, right? The box on the back of the frame? I have mine on, but its where I am keeping my tire patch kit and co2 cartridges.

Yup, same one. Will do the same for training by throwing a CO2 cartridge and inflator in there and maybe a spare tube if it'll fit. Probably my cell phone in there if there is room. As far as racing, I won't know until I play around with different configurations. Lots of options with this bike.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, a tube will fit. I have a tube and a complete tire patch kit plus a CO2 cartridge. No dice on a cell phone too. You'd never get the lid down and the weight will cause an issue of pulling it down on your tire. With the tube and kit I am pushing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the official line from Trek (correct me if I am wrong) is that the Speedbox is "Speed Neutral" which equates to doesn't matter whether you have it installed or not, won't make any difference to speed/performance. I guess most of the pros couldn't be bothered carrying toolkits and lunches around since if you're in the leading pack and you flat, its game over for a podium finish and you might as well take the autobus home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know! I would rather NOT use it than use it. I'll keep it on while I train, but it's coming off for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'7" and proportional split between torso and legs and definately opting for a small frame with 50/10 stem. One point which has been raised on a number of reviews of the SC 9 base bar is the forward sweep does make the reach to the brakes longer than normal which is another reason to go a shorter stem, as to the stem height, the bike does come supplied with 2 skyscrapers worth of spacers if needed for the arm pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedracer1 wrote:
Yes, a tube will fit. I have a tube and a complete tire patch kit plus a CO2 cartridge. No dice on a cell phone too. You'd never get the lid down and the weight will cause an issue of pulling it down on your tire. With the tube and kit I am pushing it.

Maybe I'll need to get one of those boxes that mounts on the top tube (? speed box) to keep my cell in on training rides.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have all the spacers, but on the Med frame and the 60/45 stem, they are all but gone. Here is a pic of what mine looks like currenty after the RETUL fit.

Before RETUL -

After RETUL -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have those at the Clearwater store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedracer1 wrote:
Yeah, I have all the spacers, but on the Med frame and the 60/45 stem, they are all but gone. Here is a pic of what mine looks like currenty after the RETUL fit.

Before RETUL -

After RETUL -

Wow, looks like the saddle height really dropped after the fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Honestly, this is something I'd love to spend a bunch of time on with Manny...playing with rider and accessory positions to see if there's some good general guidance...or not. Based on limited testing to date, I'd leave the draftbox on and only include the aerobottle (on the ST) if you expect the average yaw during the course of your race to be relatively low (10deg or less).

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed"

Quoted from Carl earlier in thread regarding bottle usage!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [R900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - IMO definately need a small vs. that medium.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wescadle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul nailed it.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [albush1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replaceable hangers: rear yes, front no.

On the sizing front I'd need more info...pad stack and reach especially, basebar coordinates as a secondary discriminator. We show how to get them from your current bike here (pages 4-5).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, thank you so much for your time and your input!

I pulled measurements (roughly) off my wrecked TTX, and am hoping to put my order in for a Project One SC today - was told over the phone that the crash replacement program applies even for P1 bikes, so hopefully the dealer will play ball!

My fit coordinates:

Crank Length: 175 mm

Top of pad to ground: 980 mm
BB to ground: 255 mm
Pad Stack: 725 mm

Back to center of pad: 1155
Back to bb: 710
Pad Reach: 445 mm

Back to front of base bar 1400
Basebar Reach: 690 mm

Base bar to ground: 910
Basebar Stack: 655 mm

Extension to center of pad: 310
Extension Reach: 745 mm

Saddle Height: 860 mm

Saddle to back: 680 mm
Saddle setback: -30 mm

Seems like I'm looking at an XL with an 80/75 stem, unless I'm reading the chart wrong.

Thanks!

------
Hairodynamic Draft Horse
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedracer1 wrote:
Ok, that's what I thought. I am barely 5'7 tall. I know I should be on a small frame and not a medium.

You're probably right in-between depending on whether you have a long or short torso.

I'l 5'11" and was afraid a medium would be too small, but it ended up being almost perfect with a slightly longer stem. I was just so used to riding a long road bike. Once I became more accustomed to the position, it quickly seemed to feel just right.

ON a Medium, I bet you need a fairly short stem, but on a small, you'll need a fairly long stem.

I also didn't like the Bontrager clipons that came with my 7.5. They just didn;t feel right... and I'm used to my current clip-ons after 3 seasons of racing and training on them.

I'm nto a fit expert by any means. But I had a similar experience. Once I made a few small changes to the bars and stem, it suddenly went form feeling all wrong ot feeling just right.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next