Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall seeing a picture of Julie's bike with the draft box someplace - her's is a Medium.

XS = 650 wheels.
Small = Draftbox is taller than frame
Medium = Draftbox is even with Frame
XL/Large = Draftbox is shorter than frame
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Julie is on a Medium.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's close but I think that footwerx is right. A person riding a 51cm Cervelo without any spacers and a low aerobar is probably not going to get quite as low on a small Speed Concept.

A 51cm Cervelo has a stack of 482, plus 1cm for headset top cap, 4cm for a stem, 1cm for aerobar stack and 1cm(if you have a taller aerobar or a -10/-6 stem). Thats 55.2cm of aerobar stack, give or take probably 1cm.

The small speed concept looks to be at it's lowest at 56cm according to Trek's fit guide.

Of course, I would imagine that most P4 owners are not running a - angle stem on top of a shot headset cap, but there are some I'm sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToKnowMore wrote:
I dropped by my LBS this morning, which is a Trek authorized dealer. I spoke with one of the senior sales people. He told me that they can get one quite a bit faster than quoted on the website because they do so much volume with Trek. He also said they would ask for a $1000 down payment.

Where are you located. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I'm trying to find out what a lead time is on a Project one with standard paint scheme. THe website says they are stock and ship immediately. But I stopped in at a Trek store yesterday to see what they have and they said it was a 60 day lead time.

I'm just looking for estimated delivery times for a small frameset with the 9.9 color scheme (white/grey/black).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would imagine that most P4 owners are not running a - angle stem on top of a shot headset cap, but there are some I'm sure.

Here's one. However, I'm also running Hed Corsair aerobars which are rather tall.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to let you know I am in Boise, ID and ordered my speed concept on the 21 or 22 of december and just got a call that it came in today. I was told febuary 16 or so before it would be in. The 60 thing is an estimate but once you place the order you get a more realistic number and bet they may be able to beat that. Mine is a medium stock color with rival parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sent you a PM.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are pretty good numbers. When I measure my small SC the stack with no spacers on the aerobars come in at 56.7cm, If I were to mount the pads to teh bar like Heather's bike I would get to the ~54cm number, so you can get pretty low on the small with the 700mm wheels.

Runless wrote:
It's close but I think that footwerx is right. A person riding a 51cm Cervelo without any spacers and a low aerobar is probably not going to get quite as low on a small Speed Concept.

A 51cm Cervelo has a stack of 482, plus 1cm for headset top cap, 4cm for a stem, 1cm for aerobar stack and 1cm(if you have a taller aerobar or a -10/-6 stem). Thats 55.2cm of aerobar stack, give or take probably 1cm.

The small speed concept looks to be at it's lowest at 56cm according to Trek's fit guide.

Of course, I would imagine that most P4 owners are not running a - angle stem on top of a shot headset cap, but there are some I'm sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [RogueMechanic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a new one to me. If you'd like to contact me via PM let's see if there's a swap we can work out...I'd like to see that stem & nut.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No...we want the dealer involved when it comes to components, particularly when size choices are involved. Certainly there are 100% dialled-in customers who already know exactly what they want and why, but there are just as many - if not more - who don't know or who might benefit from some discussion along those lines. The dealer site is also more real-time with respect to lead time updates - which themselves can be greatly affected by size choices among other things.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem. I understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you and Runless for posting these pad stack numbers and comparisons. They were very helpful. Though my P4 does have a low profile headset cap, no spacers and a negative rise stem, the Corsair bars I use on it are ... well I guess I'd say they're crazy tall even when set up at the minimum. Consequently, my pad stack is 57.1 cms. The 56.7 cm figure you're saying you can hit with the small SC frame and the 100/10 stem matches what Carl has been telling me in PMs.

My wallet is starting to brace for a major impact.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. I just sent you a PM.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I recall seeing a picture of Julie's bike with the draft box someplace - her's is a Medium.

XS = 650 wheels.
Small = Draftbox is taller than frame
Medium = Draftbox is even with Frame
XL/Large = Draftbox is shorter than frame

do you know if you still get the draftbox with the xs?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Socalbeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the all white is pretty nice looking! clean and simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except when said dealer is clueless about tri bikes and angles.

I fully admit to being like Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder, I don't know the terminology and engineering behind the vehicle I ride, but neither does the LBS I just talked with yesterday. Such as:

"We don't have a small frame, but these are pretty adjustable, we have a medium we can put you on"

"167.5 crank arms? No, you should be on 172.5, that's what all riders are on that are 5'9", you're giving up too much power"

"We have a regular 9 series and a WSD version, which are you looking for?" (the last I checked, I was a dude, but I could be mistaken)

I'm going to an indepedent bike fitter that is FIST certified. I already explained I would pay their fit fee and NOT buy a bike from them (I could be wrong) so I can get an objective fit free of prejudice (let my bike go!).

That being said, I really want to ride the difference between the 596, P4, SC 9. Like Psycholist, I think the small with 100/10 is about what I'll be looking at in the SC 9. I just want to make sure it's right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Except when said dealer is clueless about tri bikes and angles.

I fully admit to being like Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder, I don't know the terminology and engineering behind the vehicle I ride, but neither does the LBS I just talked with yesterday. Such as:

"We don't have a small frame, but these are pretty adjustable, we have a medium we can put you on"

"167.5 crank arms? No, you should be on 172.5, that's what all riders are on that are 5'9", you're giving up too much power"

"We have a regular 9 series and a WSD version, which are you looking for?" (the last I checked, I was a dude, but I could be mistaken)

I'm going to an indepedent bike fitter that is FIST certified. I already explained I would pay their fit fee and NOT buy a bike from them (I could be wrong) so I can get an objective fit free of prejudice (let my bike go!).

That being said, I really want to ride the difference between the 596, P4, SC 9. Like Psycholist, I think the small with 100/10 is about what I'll be looking at in the SC 9. I just want to make sure it's right.

The only thing different between the WSD and the "regular 9 series" is the paint job and the saddle.

It sounds like you went to an LBS that believed you wanted to buy a SC, and had one or more and wanted to help you acquire a speed concept.

I don't really see anything wrong with the interaction you had - sure the crank conversation could be a "bad" sign, but crank length is something that has a fairly wide school of thought and knoweldgeable people on ST are probably on the front wave of the current trend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure that I would rely solely on the ST crowd for crank length advice, there are plenty of other people that have maybe more or better knowledge out there. It would be best to research and learn what all the pros and cons are from multiple sources.

'I don't really see anything wrong with the interaction you had - sure the crank conversation could be a "bad" sign, but crank length is something that has a fairly wide school of thought and knoweldgeable people on ST are probably on the front wave of the current trend. '
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. That's why I used the word trend :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone using the firecrest zipps on their speed concept? Do they fit without a major fuss?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any plans to sell the ski bend aero bars from the 9.0 separately? Or will I have to go through the classifieds?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am selling some brand new ones. PM me. Here is my listing I posted late last night.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Last edited by: simpy16: Jan 8, 11 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine are 170's just as yours are. lol
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
comes stock with all 9 series bikes .

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
It has been reported occasionally on Madone and SC frames. The most common fix is to add a washer or two between the skewer head and the dropout to move that head outboard (closer to the trainer clamp) and away from the dropout recess.

Carl -

So what size washer do you recommend?

Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next