Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Los1324] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send me a PM! I can give you my email if you want as well - either works

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planning on getting the Mono-plug in extension for my 2nd gen Speed Concept. I understand the bolts have been increased to 6mm and so I need the updated mono-slider piece.

I can’t seem to find the Speed Concept mono slider on Treks website but there is the Madone SLR mono slider which is used to attach virtually the same extensions on the roadie.

My question is…is this piece interchangeable with the speed concept? The pieces appear to have different model numbers but it would seem strange for trek to make two different mono sliders for the same purpose.

Here is the link of the piece I’m referring to
https://www.trekbikes.com/...ZRrjXQRoCL6kQAvD_BwE
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice.

I have the possibility of picking up a 2011 speed concept 9.8. Just wondering peoples thoughts on the first gen version as well as how hard is it to source any of the speed concept specific parts that may need replacing at some point in time. It has the box off the back but I noticed those are impossible to find. Also Im really stuck on sizing. I am 5'5.5" tall so right smack in the middle of a small / medium. I measured my inseam and I get 32.5 so it seems like the medium is the better way to go but Im still not 100%. As always any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parts are going to be really difficult to find on the gen 1. The bike stopped being produced 10 years ago. Gen 2 is a much better bike and parts will be easier to find although probably not for much longer. I would go for a gen 2 over gen 1.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picked up my XL Rival build in emerald iris--it's beautiful and I'm eager to get it on the road.

I noticed on the Trek website that there is a seatpost with a flippable head (that seems to come standard on the bike) as well as a seatpost with a fixed head.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-seatposts-accessories/bike-seatposts/trek-2022-speed-concept-seatpost-w/flippable-head/p/W5266952/
vs
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-seatposts-accessories/bike-seatposts/trek-2022-speed-concept-slr-fixed-head-seatpost/p/41181/?colorCode=black

20-25mm offset is fine for my fit. Has anyone weighed these? I would imagine the one-piece design is substantially lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dziehr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The base of the post for the flippable model weighs in at 110 grams for the short and 147 grams for the long. I didn't see the weight for the head assembly, but you would be right to consider the fixed post lighter - but likely by 8-20g at best. If I find the weight spec for the others, I'll update that here.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Mar 15, 23 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Mitch. I have a 2019 Speed Concept, and it needs a new headset. Would you please reply with the specific part or parts I need to order? And please advise if you need more info to answer the question, of course. Thank you!

Scrubbie
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily for Steve, but we need to move the pads up slightly from where the pad bridge would put them. Is there a good option to attach the pads to the extensions? Hope the pic works...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Apr 22, 23 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you slide the mono plug-in more forward and then mount the pad wing so cup/pad mounting is more aft than where it mounts to the mono plug-in? I think most forget you can rotate the pad wing 180 deg to get more reach.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We tried reversing it but it's still not enough - I think we are going to try the PD supersonic brackets reversed on the extensions, it's not perfect but might work?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
The base of the post for the flippable model weighs in at 110 grams for the short and 147 grams for the long. I didn't see the weight for the head assembly, but you would be right to consider the fixed post lighter - but likely by 8-20g at best. If I find the weight spec for the others, I'll update that here.

Still curious about this, if you happen to find the data!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a reply, but trying to find a new rear brake wedge (the cam bit) which seems to be out of stock in the UK. Anyone know of availability otherwise?

Alternative is getting a machine shop to cut a replica
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely Tritons would have one ? I used to get them to send heaps of spares over the years to Australia
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of stock I'm afraid.
They did at least have the front one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! I’m Nicolas, from Argentina. Could you help me define the Size in a new TREK speed concept?
My height is 173 cm.
My inseam is 80 cm.
Seatpost lenght : 708 mm.
Pad stack: 636 mm (In a high configuration, I can go below)
Pad reach: 414 mm

I’m between Small and Medium.. but i’m not sure.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My trusted SC 7.5 seems to be falling apart after 8 years. I love this bike and it fits me perfectly after so many tweaks and upgrades over the years.
It started with the top tube bento bosses - paint bubbled / peeled around them, some corrosion going on and the end result is that one of them is now stuck in the frame spinning freely.
Most recently, one of the seat post clamp bolts seems to be be in the early stages of coming loose from the frame despite always being super anal about torquing to spec (using the trek 5 Nm torque wrench) and making sure it's evenly tightened on both sides etc. I probably haven't changed the seat height in 3 years either. The seat post is not slipping yet but it will innevitably become worse I'm afraid.

What are the chances I could get my frame warrantied and does Trek still have any Speedconcept 2 frame stock? I love this bike and I'm reluctant to go through the whole process again (buying a new bike, switching from rim brakes to disc brakes, fit and front end tweaking etc.).

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: G. Belson: May 13, 23 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm re-working the cockpit of my Speed Concept. I'm looking for a less aggressive position for longer course racing. I'm frustrated that the Bontrager parts appear to only offer limited adjustments. My question is what are the best options for non-Bontrager parts? I have the TT Mono extension plug-in. Any suggestions on good extensions and cups that work nicely on a Trek?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
My trusted SC 7.5 seems to be falling apart after 8 years. I love this bike and it fits me perfectly after so many tweaks and upgrades over the years.
It started with the top tube bento bosses - paint bubbled / peeled around them, some corrosion going on and the end result is that one of them is now stuck in the frame spinning freely.
Most recently, one of the seat post clamp bolts seems to be be in the early stages of coming loose from the frame despite always being super anal about torquing to spec (using the trek 5 Nm torque wrench) and making sure it's evenly tightened on both sides etc. I probably haven't changed the seat height in 3 years either. The seat post is not slipping yet but it will innevitably become worse I'm afraid.

What are the chances I could get my frame warrantied and does Trek still have any Speedconcept 2 frame stock? I love this bike and I'm reluctant to go through the whole process again (buying a new bike, switching from rim brakes to disc brakes, fit and front end tweaking etc.).

Good questions. Nice looking set up you got there. Hopefully you will be able to get a warranty replacement. But, even if you do, your point about making the switch over could be costly. I'd likely buy a used frameset and hope for another 8 years out of it. I have a disc brake bike and the SC, but wish I didn't have the disc brake bike. I like the ease of rim brakes and not worrying about whether or not my kid might accidently grab my rear brake on my bike while set up on the trainer so that I don't have to fiddle with the brakes prior to installing my rear wheel again...first world problems I guess.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the following 3rd party cups, ranked from OK to great:
1. Zipp vuka
2. TriRig mini cups. I haven't tried the new cups from TriRig, they seem to have added some nice options recently.
3. 51 Speedshop cups which I've been using for about 3 years now. They also have a high-sided version which I would probably get if I had to replace these.

For extensions, I used the Zipp evo aluminum that were nice and I currently have the Aerocoach angles (45 deg). Pretty much any 22.2 mm extensions will work... it all depends on what works best with your position.

Celerius wrote:
I'm re-working the cockpit of my Speed Concept. I'm looking for a less aggressive position for longer course racing. I'm frustrated that the Bontrager parts appear to only offer limited adjustments. My question is what are the best options for non-Bontrager parts? I have the TT Mono extension plug-in. Any suggestions on good extensions and cups that work nicely on a Trek?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
I used the following 3rd party cups, ranked from OK to great:
1. Zipp vuka
2. TriRig mini cups. I haven't tried the new cups from TriRig, they seem to have added some nice options recently.
3. 51 Speedshop cups which I've been using for about 3 years now. They also have a high-sided version which I would probably get if I had to replace these.

For extensions, I used the Zipp evo aluminum that were nice and I currently have the Aerocoach angles (45 deg). Pretty much any 22.2 mm extensions will work... it all depends on what works best with your position.

Celerius wrote:

Zipp alumina cups is what I have right night with profile ASC bars.

those speedshop look interesting!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Just picked up a 2015 SC7.5. Bike is in great condition and working getting it all fit up.

I can't find the High Far Stem and cover anywhere.

And
W326774

Anyone have one they'd be willing to sell?
Last edited by: wildh24: Jul 2, 23 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wildh24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced last weekend and managed to lose the down tube bottle at some point on the course. There is no stock in the UK to replace it at the moment, anybody seen stock anywhere else in the world ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wildh24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presume that qualifies as a Gen 2?

Bontrager Speed Concept Stem Cover | Triton Cycles

No stem in stock though.

Can you get the same position using a larger mono spacer?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philg wrote:
I presume that qualifies as a Gen 2?

Bontrager Speed Concept Stem Cover | Triton Cycles

No stem in stock though.

Can you get the same position using a larger mono spacer?

I did order a 45 mm block, so we'll find out but was also thinking that I'd be ok with lower bar and controls being up a touch too. It's a bit of a project changing things around on these.
Quote Reply

Prev Next