Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [Speedracer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn how long are those cranks?

I have a small with 170s - and have WAY more clearance than that.

My biggest clearance issue is tight turns and the front wheel and my foot having a conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1.

I had some major issues with my headset in the first 6 weeks or so of ownership. Turns out they all resulted from replacing my stem and things not getting tightend up in the right order.

Once I everything was tightened up as carl described - I haven't had any issues for about 5 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my SC Speed Box for Xmas. Dealer had just gotten them in. Very well thought out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl,

I actually took the bike to the LBS and they noticed the "loose" headset right off the bat, it actually seems like they were expecting it. Anyway the tech tightened up the headset without using a torque wrench, I'm pretty sure much higher than 2.5 Nm, since that's what I set it to. But that really added a lot of steering resistance.

Long story short, I think you're right, I think a lot of the slop that I'm feeling is slop in the brakes. I set the torque back down to 2.5 Nm and checked play between the frame and fork by taking off the front wheel, pointing the front of the bike straight up, lifting the bike up by the fork and aerobars, and rocking the bike to see if I could detect/hear any play. Nada.

I guess the lesson here is that the maintenance techniques that were good with our "standard" bikes don't apply to the Speed Concept :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [boatracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boatracer wrote:
Got my SC Speed Box for Xmas. Dealer had just gotten them in. Very well thought out!

Getting mixed messages in the united kingdom about the speed box. LBS has been told initially they were not being produced. Now I hear that they will be available to the uk customer in January.

Can anyone confirm for sure?

It sucks really. I remember the launch photos and video. How Trek were angling the whole SC package at the triathlete. It was all those odd bits sticking out the top and back that really made me think the tide was turning. Why did the bike not ship with the Speed Box as well?. I'd guess most consumers would be looking for a complete tri solution. Thats how the bike was sold to the press!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [Holleewud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Confirmed, I'm way down in Singapore and the dealer has them in already...

Hi Carl, Any word on the 2nd Generation Draft Boxes?

Holleewud wrote:

Getting mixed messages in the united kingdom about the speed box. LBS has been told initially they were not being produced. Now I hear that they will be available to the uk customer in January.

Can anyone confirm for sure?

It sucks really. I remember the launch photos and video. How Trek were angling the whole SC package at the triathlete. It was all those odd bits sticking out the top and back that really made me think the tide was turning. Why did the bike not ship with the Speed Box as well?. I'd guess most consumers would be looking for a complete tri solution. Thats how the bike was sold to the press!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [dennisgoh82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [dennisgoh82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the new rear draft box the new top tube mounted draft box. My LBS was able to order them from Trek. No charge for the new rear one, covered under warranty. Complete box including white graphics.

Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People had been asking questions about how I did this, so I figured I'd post some pictures. This was made out of a piece of extension I had laying around, wedged between the bars. Onto that I bolted a spare Bontrager arm rest holder I had, and the bottles mount onto it. Works perfectly.

Best of all, with just the turn of a bolt you can set it up to carry a horizontal bottle as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

In reference to my seat post slippage situation, I used the customer comment form on the Trek website that you posted. I received an email address for the Trek Italy distributor. I emailed them and have not received a response in well over 2 weeks.

My situation is somewhat different in that I live a couple thousand miles away from the LBS that I ordered the bike from. The area I live in now (northern Italy) has no Trek shops within 100 miles.

Any suggestions for a way to fix the slipping post? I think my post situation is a pretty bad one because I tighten the clasp with a torque wrench appropriately and the post slips about a cm per 10 mins on the trainer.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [michaelgasser17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drew that setup is really slick. How exactly did you get the piece of extension wedged in there so that it is secure? What do you have wrapped around the extensions keeping it there? I'll probably be experimenting with this pretty soon and yours is by far the cleanest setup I have seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [michaelgasser17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michaelgasser17 wrote:
Carl,

In reference to my seat post slippage situation, I used the customer comment form on the Trek website that you posted. I received an email address for the Trek Italy distributor. I emailed them and have not received a response in well over 2 weeks.

My situation is somewhat different in that I live a couple thousand miles away from the LBS that I ordered the bike from. The area I live in now (northern Italy) has no Trek shops within 100 miles.

Any suggestions for a way to fix the slipping post? I think my post situation is a pretty bad one because I tighten the clasp with a torque wrench appropriately and the post slips about a cm per 10 mins on the trainer.

Michael

Here in the UK, I informed my LBS about my seatpost slippage on 8th December. I wouldn't exactly say Trek have been very quick to respond and don't seem to have any consistent policy as to what to offer given other people's experience on ST. My LBS has just posted a shim for me - which I have yet to receive. As to the replacement clamp or seatpost - no news. If nothing else I'd just like a rough ETA. I think contacting Trek directly might now be the best option. On the 2 occasions where I have been able to ride my SC7 (for 40mins each time before slippage) it did feel good e.g. noticeably stiff frame but at the moment I'm just glad I kept my old Felt B12 !!
Last edited by: zamm0: Jan 2, 11 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I measured the distance between the inside of my aerobar extensions, then cut a piece of extension about 8mm longer. Then I used a dremel tool to curve out the edges so that they would sit flush on the extensions. A buddy then just spread the extensions with his hands and I wedged the piece in there. So, it is just being held there by the pressure of being wedged in. The electrical tape wrapped around my extensions is just there to keep any rattling from happening and from keeping my extensions from getting scratched.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread - Headset [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for the details. I'm going to start tinkering soonish. This is the first setup that I've seen that can accommodate horizontal and vertical bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, now that you have ridden the SC with the 100/45 "stem" with no spacers and the 100/10 with spacers, can you comment on the differences ? feel ? handling? I have my own self interest here. I just said yes to aSC9.8 in medium and will have to pick between the two. My current bike (P2 if anyone is interested, 'cause its going on sale shortly) has APS 610 and APR 465 . I want to try a little lower for my shorter races, but the big race this year is Eagleman and next year IMLP, so I'll probably raise it a bit sometimes. FWIW I'm leaning towards the 100/10.

Also I've run a profile design aerodrink between my bars and a bontrager aerobottle on the downtube. I plan to keep the bontrager, but hate to spoil the beautiful front end of the SC. Do you have any wind-tunnel approved thoughts? I

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some clearance issues with the drive side clamping mechanism on my new SC7 and my CycleOps trainer. Carl is this a known issue and has anyone else had any problem using their SC's in a trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [DAGger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I've used two different SC bikes in a CycleOps wind trainer, with zero issues. Just make sure you're using a cheap, round-capped skewer, not the SC skewers.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JudgeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the skewer that came with the trainer and it clamped in and rode fine but it also shaved off some of the metal on a couple of the protrusions in that cavity (a little round bump in the top that the derailleur cable goes in and another toward the rear). I wouldn't have known except I just happen to see a glimmer of silver against the black of the bike. This was after 4 1-2 hour rides in the trainer.

Here is a pic. The two peeled back areas are the same depth as the clamping mechanism on the trainer.

Last edited by: DAGger: Jan 2, 11 20:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue with my trainer on the SC. All that you should need to do is just grind material off the trainer support where it attaches to the skewer. 5 minutes worth of grinding on a belt sander and you should be ready to go, it worked like a charm for me.

DAGger wrote:
I used the skewer that came with the trainer and it clamped in and rode fine but it also shaved off some of the metal on a couple of the protrusions in that cavity (a little round bump in the top that the derailleur cable goes in and another toward the rear). I wouldn't have known except I just happen to see a glimmer of silver against the black of the bike. This was after 4 1-2 hour rides in the trainer.

Here is a pic. The two peeled back areas are the same depth as the clamping mechanism on the trainer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello to every one.I am new to this forum and trying to figure out this..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been reported occasionally on Madone and SC frames. The most common fix is to add a washer or two between the skewer head and the dropout to move that head outboard (closer to the trainer clamp) and away from the dropout recess.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agh my seatpost slipped! Crap. How many bikes do you think are affected with this problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl, that's what I was thinking I would try. Any concern with the exposed metal? Since it's mated to carbon fiber is that stainless?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still vote for grinding material off from the trainer support, it is pretty easy to do. Then you do not have to worry about washers or anything ale, that, and it is a permanent fix.

DAGger wrote:
Thanks Carl, that's what I was thinking I would try. Any concern with the exposed metal? Since it's mated to carbon fiber is that stainless?
Quote Reply

Prev Next