Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with running Hawk Racing bb bearings in a speed concept 7 series? I contacted them and they didn't really seem to know which bearings would fit (if any).

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of going this direction appreciated too.

Thanks,

Steve

Edit - running shImano cranks
Last edited by: Blue_Quest: Jan 8, 17 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With full weight on my elbows in aero, there is a clicking noise coming from the pads or aero bars. Not sure where, but if I lift my weight off my elbows, ever so slightly, the clicking stops. Any ideas? Doesn't sound critical, just annoying for 4+ hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hard to say without having the bike in front of me to try a few things, but my first reaction is it might actually be coming from the stem area?

for gen1 SC

for gen2 SC

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First weekend out on the new-to-me Gen 1 SC. Thanks Carl for all the pestering re: fit and sizing and thanks to all the folks at Trek for this brilliant bike. "Stupid fast" doesn't even begin to describe it.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Last edited by: tessar: Jan 10, 17 0:07
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pleasure. Looking fast there!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, do you know if the mono extension plug-in version is still available? Or know where we can find them?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of stock at the moment and unfortunately no information on when it'll come back in...but what I'm hearing is that it's still part of the existing options.

So, if you're looking for one and can't find it in stock at a dealer (unlikely, but not impossible) or in the classifieds, your dealer can certainly backorder one and that'll put you closer to the front of the line when they do come back in stock.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear! Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I'm a happy owner of a 2014 speed concept 7 series. unfortunaley I missed the spacing issue on the pioneer power meter before ordering. The bike shop I went to (not my normal shop as i'm living and training out of the country) placed two small spacer rings on my left crank arm to give it 1-2mm of clearance).

What issues if any do you see with this set up in terms of the spacers themselves or flex causing contact with such minimal clearance?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [LecTriTFN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to have you aboard!

Can't speak to that setup with the spacers, as our official stance is that the Pioneer system isn't compatible with our bike. That said, it's a workaround I've heard of before. In your place, if I wasn't willing to get a different power meter, I'd keep an eye on how secure my crankarm is...check it for any looseness every so often.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, thank you for the quick reply, still debating if it's worth the trouble or if it's possible to return to Pioneer.

Im the meantime I'll keep an eye on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
I went from a size XL first gen 9 series to a size large gen 2. I was riding the first gen with low/far stem and the smallest spacer. I wanted to get lower so I got a size smaller frame. I have the low /far stem for the gen 2, and I have yet to build it. I'd like to be about an inch lower, what mono spacer do you recommend as a starting point?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy!

The difference you're shooting for is about the same as the difference between frame sizes...so start with the lowest monospacer. Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl!
I just picked up a new to me 2012 SC.
It is a beautiful bike!
I'm sure this is covered somewhere else, but couldn't find it with a quick search on the 300+ pages on this thread.
The guy before me must have sweat a lot on the bike, and all the bolts are rusty looking, and I would like to replace them all with something a little more robust to ensure the threads don't become rusted as well.
Is there a chart or list of what the bolt sizes are?
I apologized if you have answered this question 100 other times.
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mprada421] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome aboard!

There was a running change in the production hardware to stainless steel bolts etc. Depending on how many areas of the bike you want or need to make replacements, the relevant part#s from your Trek dealer are:

420693 (spacer bolt kit, which includes clamp bolts for the extensions and pad holder bolts, need 2 of these kits/bike)
W308017 (stem cover bolt kit)
W311088 (rear brake cover bolts, need 2 of these per bike)
W522283 (auxiliary rear brake cover bolt - the longer one towards the front of the bike)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great!
Thanks Carl! I am mainly looking for the handle bar/ pad area.
But this should work. Are these specialty bolts in kit 420693, or a relatively standard thread/length/head?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to say what might be available as a "standard" bolt elsewhere...though somehow I doubt anything you'd find at the hardware store comes with either our pre-applied threadlock spec or any other spec coating we might have on our kit for example. I know folks DIY things all the time, but doing so could jeopardize your warranty status should something go wrong with a part sourced elsewhere.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect! I appreciate the help.
I'm just itching for the Wisconsin winter to end here so I can see how fast this guy is.
Might as well make it look pretty in the meantime. Sometimes my engineering OCD gets the best of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mprada421 wrote:
I'm just itching for the Wisconsin winter to end here so I can see how fast this guy is.

You and me both.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I am currently trying to figure out the best purchase plan for a new Speed Concept for myself and want to make sure I am taking into account all needs. Any thoughts or assistance you are willing to provide would be appreciated.

Background:
* I have a Quarq crank based powermeter (GXP bottom bracket) that I want to move onto any new bike
* I have a seat I could put on the bicycle
* I have two pairs of brake levers I could install
* I currently have all 10-speed wheelsets including a race wheel set

Option 1
* buy a fully functional bike with eTap or DI-2 from Trek dealer

Option 2
* buy a frameset from Trek dealer
* purchase eTap or DI-2 parts/group from ebay/craigslist/LBS/internet retailer
* purchase wheelset from retailer

The way I see it, Option 2 would be a good option for saving a few dollars as I would not have a new crank I would not use and could make use of the seat and brake levers I already have. It would be a bit more work to source individual parts, but not too much. The thing I want to make sure I do not forget, is what other items will I need for Option 2? I know I would need a bottom bracket, but what about other items? Can I install the bottom bracket myself with simple tools or do I need to face the bearing surface before the first install?

Thanks for any comments.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ryan-

The 9- and 7-series frameset modules include all the proprietary bits you need (bars, seatpost, brakes, etc), so as long as your groupset comes with all the requisite cables (just brakes, in the case of electronic drivetrains), you should be good to go with the appropriate BB. GXP BB90 kit #s from your Trek dealer: 524556 for steel, 411814 for ceramic, and there are a couple of CeramicSpeed options if you really want to spend $$.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments on the bits and pieces. I just want to make sure there is not something I am totally overlooking when I compare and contrast the two options I am considering. Cables for brakes and the total needs for the electronic group are on my list.

I am not against spending $$$ on things that will make a difference to me. A bottom bracket with high end bearings will not make a difference. I do have a Chris King bottom bracket that allows me to grease it myself that was a bit of extra $$$ on my current rig. Love that. Feels so good to go ahead and put nice clean grease in after a couple weeks of riding/getting caught in some nasty weather on a ride/prior to my big race. Now the higher end chains... those have me thinking a race day chain would be a good thing to think about. I already love my connex link chain currently for the ease of cleaning and then lubricating it periodically or before a big race. Just dropping a race day chain that is not that much more than the standard 11-speed chain might be a nice birthday present to myself this year.

One last question, is Project One available on the frameset?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:

One last question, is Project One available on the frameset?

It doesn't show up that way on the Project One website (none of the frameset options for any bike model do) but yes, the 9-series frameset paint can be customized in P1. When you do the Trek dealer consultation on whatever color scheme you've picked, just let them know you want the frameset option and they can take it from there.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
I am not against spending $$$ on things that will make a difference to me. A bottom bracket with high end bearings will not make a difference. I do have a Chris King bottom bracket that allows me to grease it myself that was a bit of extra $$$ on my current rig. Love that. Feels so good to go ahead and put nice clean grease in after a couple weeks of riding/getting caught in some nasty weather on a ride/prior to my big race.

You may now know this, but because you earlier asked about facing the BB shell and then mentioned your CK BB, I'll point out that the SC bottom bracket uses only bearings, seals and a spindle cover sleeve. The frame itself provides the BB shell and then you either push in 24mm/24mm (Shimano derivatives) or 22mm/24mm (GPX) sealed bearing sets. These generally press in by hand and can be removed the same way or with perhaps a little tap.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a very lightly used Gen 1, 9 series, the stem that is on it is too short , I am looking for a 100/45 (Mid-long), local shop quoted me about $400 Cdn for a new stem, if anyone has one of these stems I'd be very interested in purchasing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next