Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Carl, the SC threads are growing enormous. Perhaps I've missed it, but could you suggest where a barrel adjuster could be placed for brake adjustment? Getting to the brakes, particularly the rear one, appears tedious. My shop has suggested under the rubber cap but others have posted it is difficult to remove and replace. One has suggested near the brake lever entrance. What is your suggestion?

Hi TPerry,

I believe I am the culprit who raised this entire lack of "cable barrel" issue on the Trek SC. Although preferably it would be nice for the bike to have one, it actually is not particularly necessary. As mentioned in my review (which I assume you have read) I have both the wider Zipp tubular wheels and the narrower Bontrager clincher wheels. Last night I adjusted both the front and rear brake calipers and loosened the cables by 2mm. Now both the Zipps and Bontragers fit the brakes. Granted, there is a little more brake lever movement when the Bontragers are on the bike but if you adjust the cables properly the first time, there is no need to readjust it constantly. Personally, on all my bikes, I adjust the brake cables once and leave it like that for the rest of the season, sometimes even for longer.

If you ask me, the absence of a barrel adjuster on the SC should not be a deal breaker. But that's just me.

P.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy-

Pax got in there before I could with the basics of setup tips. On the front brake in particular you do have independent arm width adjustment via the setscrew access holes in the brake cover. The rear at present is best dealt with by setting for your widest application. More often than not, the combination of thinner carbon-specific pads and wider carbon rims ends up giving you the right spacing for narrower aluminum rims and their thicker standard pads.

Most of the options we investigated for incorporating barrel adjusters detracted from (or outright eliminated) the hidden housing features we were shooting for, so in the end we opted for brake designs which allowed you to run wide without running out of lever travel.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dubd71771] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BIG Props to Carl and the engineer team at Trek that came out to Wheel & Sprocket, extremely knowledgeable and willing to stick around after their presentation to let us pick their brains :)

Carl and the Trek guys gave an excellent SC presentation. They stuck around for quite some time afterwards answering all the questions we could throw at them. Thanks a ton Carl.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though this was likely a painful birth for my LBS (Trek Store of Kansas City), having to deal with a high maintenance, demanding client like myself, at long last here's my P1 SC 9.9 with Di2:

(Sorry for the terrible quality of these photos, who knew it would be so hard to photograph a bicycle!)

The bike was ordered with a nice set of bomb proof training wheels.

The new Zedtech Zipps are incredible. 1080 front, Sub-9 out back.

The cockpit is great but I've ordered some Zipp Vuka S-bends and will be changing out the tape to black. The red is too flash!

Just two thin wires enter the base bar.

The saddle will be changed out for the Arione Tri2 with carbon rails but different hardware was required for the seatpost.

The shop loaned me an SC to race at Kansas 70.3 since the delivery was delayed. They went above and beyond to keep me happy. Special thanks to all the guys that worked on this bike......

Now the fiddling begins!
Last edited by: Weaver: Jun 19, 10 19:28
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [Weaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome bike, man if more people keep posting their SC on here I might have to head to my LBS and put the money down on one of these, I am starting to like my bike but these things are just SWEEEEET! Nice looking ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that looks so good! congrats!

what tires did you have put on your training wheels? they look sharp. new r3s? i tried running the bonty 700x23 hardcases but they rubbed against the draft box. had to put a 22 on the rear.

enjoy!

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [jbird2131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, the training wheels have Bonty R3's in 700 x 23. There's a gap, but it is thin.

I do most of my training on the road bike and run Hardcases there. I was a little hesitant to run tubies for the race wheels, but am glad I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do your front brake calipers sit flush with the fork? Mine are just slightly compressed making the "wings" pop out. It looks like you have the same issue....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ended up selling my 808 tubies and will run the 6.5' Aeolus Clinchers with the R4's. hoping i dont regret that, but they feel fast.

yup, i have the same issue with the front brake calipers. I haven't tried adjusting them yet, let me know if you have any luck.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is mine, willpost better pics when i have them

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [johnnyyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you just spent like 10 grand on a bike and you are going to make a mess of it withthat behind the seat bottle holder crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the depth charge launcher behind the saddle, lose it. Also fix those R2C shifters and make them point forward instead of up. It looks like the bike is excited. Mine also had this issue when I got it, BTW. I think it was the first time the shop had seen the R2C shifters and they didn't know how to adjust them.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [need4speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X3. Slapping on a huge mess like that on the back I'm sure just brought you back down into the same category as the P4 in terms of aeroness. :)

I think the position on the R2Cs is sort of preference though. Maybe he likes them angling up. I would think with them pointing straight forward that it might be a bit harder to shift. I'm not speaking from experience though.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mo love for the hydrotail....i loved using it on my old bike
anyone know if two speed bottles will fit on the frame?
shifters are a preference for me, they would get in the way of my hand position

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you who have purchased your SC through your LBS did you have the option of having S-Bend bars instead of the J-Bend or Ski-tip? I know Lieto has them on his bike but I never saw an option on P1 to change them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [simpy16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No options on the extensions. If you want something different, you have to go aftermarket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know why they would do that, I saw on Bonty's site you can buy the S-bend extensions aftermarket. Why don't they just offer them as change-out? Sometimes P1 seems great but other times it seems like it is a limiter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dont think you can fit 2 speed bottles on the frame. they're too tough to get out of the holder anyway, especially when mounted to the seat tube.

im running a regular carbon cage on seat tube and bat cage between aerobars.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like weaver said, no options directly from trek. but i had PD s-bend extensions installed by my LBS when it was delivered.

you cant modify much from the stem forward.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, if the hydro tail works for you, keep using it. I think the rest of us just agree that there are better ways of going about it. Especially with the draft box (is that what its called? Speed box? I cant remember and am too lazy to look.). What distances are you racing?

Definitely no room for two speed bottles. I have the bontrager on the seat tube and there isnt any room on the down tube for another.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll see some options in a few months. This bike is very new and there are still little tweaky things being worked out. The bike is fantastic out of the box....very stable, comfortable and fast. Trek is in search of perfection and seems to be addressing every little nuance with this bike...which is pretty cool. If you were to compare post-purchase tweaking of a P1 SC to any other super bike.....the Trek would require the least amount of alterations by far.

Plus, worth noting......the style of the extensions that come on the bike are purported to be the fastest.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard that about that shape of extensions but my wrist feel a lot more comfortable with S-bends, I am not going to be getting a new bike the rest of this year so maybe I will keep looking at the P1 site to see if it updates or talk to my LBS to see if they have added that option. Thanks for the information!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Plus, worth noting......the style of the extensions that come on the bike are purported to be the fastest..... "

I was using S-Bends previously, and while I had no complaints I think the blackwell/cobb-type bontrager extensions are far more comfortable.

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Jun 21, 10 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept P1 9.9 with Di2 [need4speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woulnd't it be awkward and defeat the purpose of the R2C shifters if he had them running perpendicular to the tips of his bars? My wrists hurt just thinking about shifting that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ooi, how do you adjust the rear brakes and widen them?

the front? do the fairing panels on the front of the fork sit flush when the brakes are not used? how do you adjust those?
Quote Reply

Prev Next