Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkintn wrote:
Looking to add a power meter to my 2013 Shiv Expert. What PMs have others used and what do you prefer? I'd prefer crank-based so I can swap training wheels/race wheels easily. Looking at Quarq Riken and Power2Max. Likely going compact 50/34. Any recommendations or other things I should consider?

I personally ride Quarq and SRM and have had great results with both. Each has its benefits and challenges, but from a getting up and going standpoint, I've always liked the replaceable battery on my Quarq.

Just a note that while I've heard awesome things about the Garmin Vectors, make sure they'll fit whatever crank you'd consider them for before committing. Their receiver doesn't fit on all cranks right now but they're working on a longer wiring harness.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a ton for that response. It is intersting what you said about the enve's holding the wind Because that is exactly my perception, it feels like I have to lean into the wind and the it lets go all at once creating a swerve.
I will try yiur suggestions and thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
Thanks a ton for that response. It is intersting what you said about the enve's holding the wind Because that is exactly my perception, it feels like I have to lean into the wind and the it lets go all at once creating a swerve.
I will try yiur suggestions and thanks again.

This is a pretty serious design opportunity and challenge in the aero world right now - the best wind tunnel wheels have very sudden airflow separation at yaw. Basically, when the sail effect turns off, it's like a bubble has popped. The industry is still figuring out how to best correlate this to rider feel, rider mass, etc - I know there are many opinions on this topic but it will definitely impact design over the next few years.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
jjh wrote:
Thanks a ton for that response. It is intersting what you said about the enve's holding the wind Because that is exactly my perception, it feels like I have to lean into the wind and the it lets go all at once creating a swerve.
I will try yiur suggestions and thanks again.


This is a pretty serious design opportunity and challenge in the aero world right now - the best wind tunnel wheels have very sudden airflow separation at yaw. Basically, when the sail effect turns off, it's like a bubble has popped. The industry is still figuring out how to best correlate this to rider feel, rider mass, etc - I know there are many opinions on this topic but it will definitely impact design over the next few years.

Mark

I would also imagine that the tires have an impact on this as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
jjh wrote:
Thanks a ton for that response. It is intersting what you said about the enve's holding the wind Because that is exactly my perception, it feels like I have to lean into the wind and the it lets go all at once creating a swerve.
I will try yiur suggestions and thanks again.


This is a pretty serious design opportunity and challenge in the aero world right now - the best wind tunnel wheels have very sudden airflow separation at yaw. Basically, when the sail effect turns off, it's like a bubble has popped. The industry is still figuring out how to best correlate this to rider feel, rider mass, etc - I know there are many opinions on this topic but it will definitely impact design over the next few years.

Mark


I would also imagine that the tires have an impact on this as well.

Oh yea. Any wheel we test now is usually tested with between 2 and 6 different tires. It's like changing the leading edge of the airplane wing and hoping it still flies.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NYCTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYCTri wrote:
I put in the specialized Quarq powermeter in Jan and have had good results. As you can imagine my training has trained pretty drastically since I got the PM and have incorporated TrainerRoad.com . I also went compact as I am more a spinner than a masher and have been pretty happy thus far. Unless your FTP is very high a compact should be fine. I have rarely needed a bigger gear than 50-11 (which is bigger that 53-12).

Did you have to use any wavy washers or spacers to put the quarq in the Shiv? I want to eventually swap a quarq between a shiv and supersix, the quarq currently lives on my supersix, and I'm trying to gauge how much of a PITA that will be.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
For those with the Sitero saddle with the bottle holder built in do you use it? Same for the Fuelsalage, do you use it or do you use something else. I was using the holder on the Sitero and since it lays at a pretty flat angle it is hard for me to reach back and get it and wondering if a different system that held the bottle more upright would be easier for me.

I use it to hold supplemental liquid on long rides and as a tool holder on the short rides. The fuelselage is my primary drink source which I use all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine finally came in this week. I have to say I am impressed. Not only can I finally get low enough, but it really cleans up the aero bar and makes it feel solid. It eliminates a lot of unnecessary hardware IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MgAdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What and how do you arrange your flat tire kit/supplies in your Fuelcell or on your bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking about the new aero bar clamos, but I have a fuel cell too. I have a tube (wound in a ball) a co2, a lever and the co2 head in the lower compartment. It takes some work, but it fits.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MgAdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MgAdams wrote:
I was talking about the new aero bar clamos, but I have a fuel cell too. I have a tube (wound in a ball) a co2, a lever and the co2 head in the lower compartment. It takes some work, but it fits.
i need to try harder because I am nowhere near getting mine to fit in there right now
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankis wrote:
NYCTri wrote:
Did you have to use any wavy washers or spacers to put the quarq in the Shiv? I want to eventually swap a quarq between a shiv and supersix, the quarq currently lives on my supersix, and I'm trying to gauge how much of a PITA that will be.

I bought the new generation quarq last year and had to put several spacers between the gear side and the frame to get the cross chain alignment correct which meant i did not need a wavy washer on the other side. As this was totally different from my non PM setup I would really like to know from other new gen quarq owners what their solution was.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Quarq question. I have the 14 Shiv Expert, all stock Ultegra right now. What quarq would I need and what adapters, brackets, etc for it?
Last edited by: loutriguy: Mar 23, 14 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does anyone else run a Reserve Rack on an Adamo Saddle? I am trying this set up and can't quite seem to make it work. It seems that the bracket on the Reserve Rack does not clamp tightly on the seat rails due to the way the rails angle. Hopefully you can see it from this picture.

I can tighten down the bolt as tightly as possible, but when I hit a few bumps, it comes lose. I've used zip ties to secure it so it doesn't fall off, but yesterday while on a ride I ended up with it dangling.



I've wondering about using something like bar tape around the rails to give the clamp a little more to "bite' into. Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark, is there any published wind tunnel data on the evade comparing it to a fast helmet like the wingspan or wing57? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teamzero86 wrote:
Mark, is there any published wind tunnel data on the evade comparing it to a fast helmet like the wingspan or wing57? Thanks.

in the testing I did, the evade was faster than the wingspan, but not as fast as the giro selector. Having said that, it's very dependent on your position and where the helmet rests in relation to your neck and back. A fellow athlete tested much better with the wingspan because it was better for HIS position. So I think the bottom line is that it depends on your specific position. What I like about both the evade and the wingspan is that they are nice and cool.

____________________________________

Facebook Updates | Race Reports | My Gear
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I appreciate the response
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newbie here, and while I've read some of this monster thread I haven't seen a post (yup, tried searching too) answering my question about Shiv TT arm rest spacing.

Is there a way to get the extensions and or arm rests wider than the 3 pre set options? I have the height where I like it but it's not using the riser and now feels a bit too narrow.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are 3 armpad drillings and 2 widths for the extensions depending on how much stack you run
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hellou,

I had similar feeling. I have riser and arm pad in the middle of 3 position. So its second wider available position.

I even try the widest one but I constantly touching int while in the breaking position.

But after the while a get used to it :) so give it the time :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may have already seen it but there is a pretty good post on page 74 of this thread showing a solid packing technique. It took me a while to get it but once you do it works.

I am really curious, though, how & what everyone is packing in the top part of the fuel cell. Also curious if anyone has or has considered cutting the bottom out of the rubber top so that you can put food in the bottom and reach through to grab it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello guys and gals,

I am switching bikes this next season in 2015 and have been riding Cevelo's p3 and p5. Both of which were 58cm. Should I get the XL in the shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neilridley wrote:
There are 3 armpad drillings and 2 widths for the extensions depending on how much stack you run


Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the 3 widths on the pads themselves and that the extensions are either 110mm or 80mm apart depending on whether I'm running them with or without the riser respectively.

I was hoping there might be a "secret" adapter (much like the extension adapters I found on another thread here allowing me to run a ski tip extension) that might allow me to run the arm rests wider than those 6 settings. I'm pretty flexible so I have them mounted with out the risers but I'm also not a small dude and I think I may not be as aero as I can be by having my elbows that narrow.

Cheers!

Edit: Check that, I guess it was actually earlier in this thread that I found the aftermarket extension adapters. Maybe I should just sit down and plow through all 88 pages here. Ugh. ;-)
Last edited by: goneskiian: Mar 28, 14 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [itrjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would look at Large. I'm 6'2" w/ 34 inseam and ride a L.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goneskiian wrote:
neilridley wrote:
There are 3 armpad drillings and 2 widths for the extensions depending on how much stack you run


Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the 3 widths on the pads themselves and that the extensions are either 110mm or 80mm apart depending on whether I'm running them with or without the riser respectively.

I was hoping there might be a "secret" adapter (much like the extension adapters I found on another thread here allowing me to run
a ski tip extension) that might allow me to run the arm rests wider than those 6 settings. I'm pretty flexible so I have them mounted with out the risers but I'm also not a small dude and I think I may not be as aero as I can be by having my elbows that narrow.

Cheers!



Edit: Check that, I guess it was actually earlier in this thread that I found the aftermarket extension adapters. Maybe I should just sit down and plow through all 88 pages here. Ugh. ;-)

You mean something like these
http://i234.photobucket.com/...712d_zpsda8d1b5a.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/...6252_zps91deeb8a.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/...0276_zpse375ade3.jpg

Neil
Quote Reply

Prev Next