Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Dustin77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Shiv TT comes with a S-Works crankset. That would be a huge downgrade putting your Rotor unit on that bike. Sell that thing, and buy a Quarq spider for the S-Works. You will be glad you did.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Professor Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 XS Shiv and love it, but I'm 5'3" and am looking into getting a shorter arm on my crankset. Stock is 170mm, and FSA doesn't have 160 or shorter (that I'm aware of), Cobb Cycling has a 155mm option that I'm interested in. The change will require a bottom bracket baring kit and BB30 adapter, but those are available. Does Specialized see a problem with this change? Other options?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More frame pr0n: Jenson Button's SHIV:

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me like!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool! I really like the subtle graphics in the black section.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dropped my Shiv Comp by to the LBS thursday night and they were supposed to ship it to Specialized for the Seatpost clamp fix. They, as others have said, want to try and glue it first...'they' also said that they have figured out which epoxy will work the best. I will keep yall posted. I know several on here have waited months for their Shiv to be returned......I was told 1-2 weeks tops. My lbs did give me loaner turd for the time being.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said 'after the repair failed to hold'....was it repaired...then sent back to you and you found this out OR did they do testing on it at the factory and decide on the spot to send you a new frame?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was done by specialized, it only takes a few hours to know if the epoxy holds. It's just a matter of how busy they are. I called the customer service number and they explained it to me. Good luck on getting it done quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
downesy wrote:
We ordered a 2014 Expert for my wife last Friday and we're picking it up this weekend. We've customised it a bit by downgrading to 10spd 105 but we've added the Roval 60clx wheels. My wife liked the pink design.

We're in Australia where it's obviously a much smaller market than the US but I would have thought the ratio of demand would be similar. Sorry to hear you've had to wait so long for your new bike. If they'd told us there was going to be a wait, we would have purchased a different bike.

Very nice. There has been limited availability of the pink one but the red white and black one that was announced back in August of last year have yet to ship. At this rate the 2015s will be anounced before the 2014's ship.

Picked it up on the weekend.

Apologies for the shitty, blurry phone pic.

Basically, a Shiv Expert with 105 10 speed (we decided to go with 10 speed for compatability with my wife's training wheels) and Roval Rapide 60 CL wheels. We chose to spend more money on wheels than the groupset.

I haven't put the Fuelselage or Fuel Cell on yet and we still have to work out what the best configuration for Ironman will be.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [downesy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I recently got a 2013 shiv pro. Apparently the seat post insert is a big problem. I tried 2 part epoxy but it pulled again. I recently repaired a frame break in my sons carbon giant (got hit by a kid practicing before the usat nationals). So I was thinking about using mixed resin......? on the insert.

Anyways, I love the bike.....and I have a set of yellow , green, mettalic grey and light blue stickers....if anyone needs them.

Mine is gloss black....and I used the chrome stickers with a red s on the front.

My old ride was a 2001 ZIPP.....that is about 15 years old.....so this is a big change. btw I m on an xl frame....6'5 36 inseam..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [1320] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would take it to your lbs and let Specialized do the warranty bit. Apparently they have even tried several different options for the fix before they could narrow it down to the correct epoxy. Also, it seems as some frames just will not hold at all, in which case, you get a new frame. Mine is at specialized as we type and hopefully it will be back in the next few days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with cojo. I just went through the process of the fix and replacement. Take it to your lbs and let them go to specialized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the 2014 Shiv Pro have a carbon bottom bracket or Alu, meaning does it need a pf30 or just bearings with insert? Also what size bearings are in the CL60 hubs so I know what to get to upgrade them to Ceramic. Also is the CL60 fine for a light woman or is the CL40 better? Also what you think total weight of an xs 2014 Shiv Pro would be? Thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bwronska] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's fitted a Fuelcell to their Shiv?

I've just fitted mine to my Expert.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SamH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Shiv Expert arrived today and is being put together. Going in Thursday to have it adjusted. Great news after waiting so long to get it! I was very happy when my LBS surprised me with a couple of pictures.[/img]
Last edited by: loutriguy: Feb 11, 14 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random question: does anyone know what size/thread the rear brake/ cantilever bosses are on the Shiv? Surely you are wondering why I am asking. I lost them after installing my Magura RT8 brake kit, probably after cleaning out the garage carelessly.

My guess is M8.

This would save me a trip to the hardware store to figure it out! Many thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had a problem with the Fuelcell falling off during a ride? I have ridden with it twice and it has fallen off each time. Annoying that my new Fuelcell is all scratched up!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys! Just wanna ask if any of you had experience having a crack on their seatpost? I was cleaning my bike early this morning and notice a small hairline crack on the letter S logo on my seatpost dont know if its a crack on the paint or a real crack on the carbon seatpost...btw my bike is a 2013 shIv comp rival. I nevar had a crash or an accident on the bike plus i hadndle it very carefully :) i wanted to post the picture of the crack but dont know how i can post it here... thanks guys.
Last edited by: Mojoboy: Feb 12, 14 4:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you pushing it until it clicks in place? When I put mine on correctly, it's normally a pain to remove. Youe will have to push the plastic tab in and pull up the fuelcell to remove it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading all of the issues related to the seat post clamp, I'm a bit paranoid...I have a 2013 Expert that I've ridden exclusively on the trainer. Does anyone have any detailed pictures of exactly what is happening? I'll be riding the trainer exclusively for another month before I can get outdoors and at that point will only be about a month out from a race...if I end up having the same problem I want to be able to ID ASAP.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the metal nuts that are inside of your carbon frame(where the seatpost clamp bolts actually screw into). i identified mine by realizing that one receiving nut was sitting further out than the one on the other side...indicating that it was beginning to pull out. My seat was still secure however, it was just a matter of time beforethe nut came out completely. I took to my LBS...they took some pics and sent the pics to specialized. They sent my frame to specialized to get fixed or replaced.....just depends on if they can get the nut to hold. It was sent on January 31st.....havent heard back yet. My LBS gave me a loaner bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please help. Noob here.

I appreciate that this may be going over old ground however I flicked back through the last 20 pages and found little if nothing that relates.

I'm keen to start training/racing with power on my 2013 specialized shiv expert.

At the moment component wise it is factory stock.

I wanted to use a stages left arm crank meter but I understand the FSA SL-K Light BB30 carbon crankset wont allow this.

How difficult is it to convert to a shimano crankset? what are the results? (the shimano option will be compatible with my dura ace front and rear mechs and also the stages PM.) Has anyone done this?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [flatcokeboi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding my seat post clamp.

I just did a frame repair to my sons giant (hes 8) carbon ocr2 c2. He was hit at the usat youth nationals.

Anyways, I had ordered a carbon repair kit, to do it myself, because it just doesnt make a lot of sence to send a 600$ bike in to be repaired at a cost of 300 +.

Anyways, I have a lot of carbon fiber left over and resin and hardener..

I some single strands laying on the floor .....and had an idea, about the seat clamp fix.

I removed the lose metal insert from the shiv. I cleaned the insert with a disc, and clean (cut) the grooves on the insert with the blade of the disc. The insert looked basically brand new. I cut a small (blade with) groove in the end also....(just because it looked like the was pleanty of material there and I was wanting to increase the surface area for adhesion.

I then took two of the single carbon strands.....(left over from my sons frame repair) just two single strands and wrapped them into the groove on the insert. I applied a dab of resin so they would lay down . The excesses I held out towards the outside but tried to keep the carbon tight in the grooves of the insert (2 grooves). I then dabbed a bit of resin in the shiv frame.....then inserted the metal insert with the carbon starnds wrapped around it in the grooves. I had to tap it in to get it in all the way. I had two carbon strands stick out.....that I trimmed with scissors, then let dry. After 24 hrs, I sanded the hardened excess strands off that the siccors didnt get...so the reapair is basically unnoticable. I made sure several times that I didnt get resin in the threads of the insert. I took a small peice of 1000 grit fine sand paper , cut to fit in the back side clamp of the seat post and inserted the seat and installed the clamp. The insert DID NOT PULL OUT, and the seat seems tight. Before it would creek, but never moved. SO far it is quiet and looks to be working. Time will tell, as with anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When did you place your order for your bike? I ordered mine a few days after New Years and the store has said it's been backordered til mid-Feb....then March... then April.
Quote Reply

Prev Next