Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
rmg wrote:
Any way to prevent the Fuel Cell from ejecting over rough road ? I ejected mine over a train track at the bottom of a hill and looked back to watch it explode under the tire of car. Grrrrr.

Was it locked in? The Fuelcell has a locking tab on the mount that should make it near impossible to launch off during riding. I don't have one right in front of me but I owe you a pick (and maybe a new Fuelcell? PM me).

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posted about this on another thread, but anyone running a BTA bottle with a hose in addition to the Fuelselage? I run a standard BTA bottle and Fuelselage for LC now. I look to keep calories and water separate so I am not looking to do the awesome set up on here connecting the two together.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You also get CL 60 carbon clincher wheelset wit the MY14, those didnt come with MY13

Matt Elmore
Specialized Bicycles
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't he talking about the expert model?
The PRO version have cl60 but not expert what I can see on the website.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I took the plunge ordering a 2014 SHIV Pro today. I came from a cervelo p2 tri. It was a hell of a decision between SHIV and new P3.

Glad I took the plunge. Now I cant wait to get my hands on shiv, fuselage, fuelcell. Whooaa!!!

I ordered the OSBB satin black frame, ultegra 11, sitero and just a few questions on the cockpit, aero bar area. Quite confusing.

1. Would you suggest getting the s-works carbon cockpit?
2. Does it came with aero stem? how good is it?
3. or getting a 3rd party like 3t aura pro, ventus or PRO would be better?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pro model should come with the same bar/stem as the SWorks model. The carbon bar/stem is an integrated item. You can't use the Ventus with the Shiv and what bar you get really depends on you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Ordered the 2013 because they offered free Spec Expert shoes and fuel cell now. Had the Sitero saddle added and am anxious to get the full geometry fit and shop for a wheel set.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the xlab torpedo bottle. Works like a charm and it's 26 oz. Compliments the bladder greatly!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,
Took my Shiv Comp Rival for 3rd light spin today, love it. Have a couple of questions though.

1. Noticed a little black clip inside the black flex part of my fuel cell, not sure where it came from but didn't notice it previously. Have been playing with the fuel cell trying to fit things in, looks like it would just slot over something but the front end comes out a lot easier, if anyone could check theirs it would be appreciated.

2. The DT Axis 2.0's, could be because they are new rims but it sounds (I think) like the spokes are pinging quite a bit on the front wheel. Is this normal and should I give it some time before returning to LBS. Only pings when out of saddle and was a lot worse when first riding it. Assuming it will go or will need re-tensioning when it comes to 1st major service??? Other wheel in front doesn't have same issue.

3. The bladder system, love it but can only drink in aero, not really good for rides with a group or a few people. Just after thoughts.

4. Hoping people will post fuel cell pics about how they fit things in. I can't fit tube (very tightly packed), 1 x Co2, levers and small inflator.

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers,

Glen.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Ports18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ports18 wrote:

3. The bladder system, love it but can only drink in aero, not really good for rides with a group or a few people. Just after thoughts.

You can use a rare earth magnet under the bar tape right behind the FD so it will allow you to use a longer drink hose.
Some tips are:
1. Use hot glue to initially attach the magnet to the bar
2. Put a single wrap of vinyl packing tape over it and the bar (this provides secondary protection but doesn't affect holding power)
3. Mount your bar tape but when you get to the magnet area remove a half circle amount from each side of the tape corresponding to the magnet as you wrap. (the goal is to not have the tape cover the magnet)
4. Optional - User an Osprey bite valve w/magnet @ REI for $10

With this setup I I have literally ejected a bottle out of a Gorilla cage and the hose never moved.
Last edited by: dannyh: Oct 12, 13 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Shiv owner here--loving the bike coming from a CAAD9 road bike set up for Tri's. Havent put a ton of miles on yet but much more comfortable than my CAAD in aero and the carbon frame feels much more forgiving than the aluminum frame. Custom wheel decals from sc_nick (slowtwitch handle) I've been posting this all over the board since I'm more than thrilled with how they turned out.

Last edited by: Theo911: Oct 14, 13 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Theo911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an opinion....don't hang a carbon bike like that. I think there are actually stickers from the manufacturer telling you not to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NCsurfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks NC I will change my rack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, thats how i have been hanging mine as well..

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ports18,

1. Noticed a little black clip inside the black flex part of my fuel cell, not sure where it came from but didn't notice it previously. Have been playing with the fuel cell trying to fit things in, looks like it would just slot over something but the front end comes out a lot easier, if anyone could check theirs it would be appreciated.
-This clip goes on the front notch of the fuelcell. if you look at it, it matches the shape of the little notch. This helps to hold the soft rubber top in place.

2. The DT Axis 2.0's, could be because they are new rims but it sounds (I think) like the spokes are pinging quite a bit on the front wheel. Is this normal and should I give it some time before returning to LBS. Only pings when out of saddle and was a lot worse when first riding it. Assuming it will go or will need re-tensioning when it comes to 1st major service??? Other wheel in front doesn't have same issue.
-It sounds like they are tensioned tight and maybe loosening up after riding, should be okay. Make sure to check the spokes for the next couple of rides before leaving just to be double sure. If it continues take it back to the LBS.

Matt Elmore
Specialized Bicycles
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NCsurfer wrote:
Just an opinion....don't hang a carbon bike like that. I think there are actually stickers from the manufacturer telling you not to do so.

Really, so what difference is that from lifting your bike from the top tube? In fact holding it with one hand in the middle of the top tube would be even worse loading.

You probably do not want to clamp the top tube, but I would like to see a warning like you mention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guess I cant use my saris rack anymore for transportation? .....
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was told. My felt had a yellow warning sticker on it stating just that. I wonder why Specialized doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the sticker say don't hang or don't clamp?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Theo911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa man how tall are you? It looks like a Shiv for a giant!

Congrats on the new bike.

PS, I hang my Shiv like that too. Seems fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NCsurfer wrote:

The only stickers and warnings that I have seen on various carbon composite bikes are about clamping the frame or seat post in a work stand or on a car roof rack. I really doubt that bike rack pictured causes any harm at all to the bike or frame. But, you never know, I could be wrong about this. If I am, please educate me.

thanks,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hang my bikes with a similar rack. I also thought it's fine as long as you avoid clamping. Appreciate any clarification from the rest of the peanut gallery.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody weigh their fuelcell yet? Is this thing a pound? 100grams? Would be nice if specialized listed weights for us weenies.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyElmore wrote:
Hey Ports18,

-This clip goes on the front notch of the fuelcell. if you look at it, it matches the shape of the little notch. This helps to hold the soft rubber top in place.

-It sounds like they are tensioned tight and maybe loosening up after riding, should be okay. Make sure to check the spokes for the next couple of rides before leaving just to be double sure. If it continues take it back to the LBS.

Matt Elmore
Specialized Bicycles
Product Marketing
Thanks Matt worked out the clip.

I'm sure all of us Fuelcell owners would love some advice on packing. Is it the type of tube? I've packed and taped it as tight as I can, but still can't fit it, co2 and co2 head as the website advises. Thanks mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting mine in two days, wondering about this as well. Cant wait for it to get here.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next