Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing. Thanks, was a big help. I will be running this setup soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tdodge22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdodge22 wrote:
Amazing. Thanks, was a big help. I will be running this setup soon.

Thanks, I went through about 7 designs before I got to this point. Just a few things you might not notice or think about till later:
  • The BTA rests on the bars and to install with the speedfill i just put the black cap under the zip tie i have resting on the aerobars and rotate the bottle counterclockwise and it locks front down. For the back mount I use an o-ring that runs under the stem with each end slipping over the back of the bottle. Those plus the quick disconnect on the camelback valve make it very secure, simple and easy to remove.
  • If you use the Speedfill you will want to seal the original drink tube hole with a product called InstaMorph. That stuff is truly amazing...
  • The Osprey bite valve located right behind the FD has an integrated magnet which mates up to a rare earth one i have under my bar tape. To drink I just rotate my left wrist to pull the tube up to drink and the bite valve magnet auto returns it when done
  • The drink tube insulation you see in the pics runs all the way down the internal bladder. This keeps the water much cooler than without it
  • On a long distance HOT ride i will freeze the BTA so that + the internal bladder lasts for ~ 70 miles. Then I sit up and dump the behind the seat bottle into the BTA and be back on the bars for the next 30.

I hope this helps
-Danny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info, it will definitely make things easier for me to get it right the first time. Do you remember what thickness neoprene you ordered?
Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tdodge22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdodge22 wrote:
Good info, it will definitely make things easier for me to get it right the first time. Do you remember what thickness neoprene you ordered?
Cheers.

Here you go -
Neoprene
Magnets
Bite Valve w/ Magnet
Garmin Mount

Instamorph
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [acrx349] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yoo acrx349,

Crowie and Tim both have pretty clean set ups, and are pretty much the same job. Check out these photos from Kona last year on Crowie's di2 set up with the Pro Missile Evo bars you are referring too. Nothing has changed in the set up this year from last year or even two years ago in regards to the wiring job. Most all of the di2 cables and the junction box all hide inside the stem.

Check these images out.

http://www.tririg.com/...nder_Shiv&num=15
http://www.tririg.com/...11_10_07_Crowie_Shiv

Matt Elmore[/url]
Specialized Bicycle Components
Product Marketing

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt!

thanks so much for getting back to me. the pics are super awesome and clean. My LBS shop as well as Shimano Canada that the 5 port junction box will not fit inside the pro missle shiv. From the pics on tririg it totally shows a different scenerio.

thanks for getting back to me.

Cavin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [acrx349] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ohh yes, the 5 port...

The only way i've seen that dealt with is by using that rubber piece to place it under the stem.

Enjoy that set up!

-Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my Fuel Cell. Yay.

But how on God's green earth do you fit a tube, Co2 head, Co2 cartridge, and valve extender in there and still be able to put the soft top on?

I've tried countless times but the tub eats up so much of the space.

Any help would be appreciated.

D
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Got my Fuel Cell. Yay.

But how on God's green earth do you fit a tube, Co2 head, Co2 cartridge, and valve extender in there and still be able to put the soft top on?

D

There's a huge variation in tube sized packed. Smaller tubes (our turbo tube works well) pack in first with CO2 head/CO2 threaded together and add the valve extender. It'll be a tight squeeze but it works. Also, try to electrical tape your tube tight (just one strip is needed) to make it smaller.

If that doesn't work, the CO2 in the upper is another option.

Usually just comes down to tube size.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoo dyarab,

i'll take a snap shot of mine for you. You have to re-fold the tube and tape it so the shape holds, that's how i've gotten mine to stay in place and fit.

matt elmore
specialized bicycle components
product marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
dyarab wrote:
Got my Fuel Cell. Yay.

D

There's a huge variation in tube sized packed. Smaller tubes (our turbo tube works well) pack in first with CO2 head/CO2 threaded together and add the valve extender. It'll be a tight squeeze but it works. Also, try to electrical tape your tube tight (just one strip is needed) to make it smaller.

If that doesn't work, the CO2 in the upper is another option.

Usually just comes down to tube size.

Mark

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I think I need a smaller CO2 head. Mine is on the large side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be great.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Got my Fuel Cell. Yay.

D

Agree, what a pain to get a tube and co2 in.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got into the Fuel Cell what you're supposed to be able to get into it.

That being a tube, CO2 cartridge, CO2 head, and valve extender but it took waaaaaaay to much time. I recommend getting as much air out of the tube as possible and roll that thing up as tight as you can. I used electrical tape to wrap it and get it even smaller.
I put the cartridge in first then the head which sat on the cartridge. The tube then sat on top of them horizontally. Then I just dropped the valve extender in and let it find it's own space. There is about a hairs width space in between the tube and the soft cover. If anything is touching that cover it pushes it up. I bet thats why so many pros had packing tape on thier fuel cells... to keep it from being pushed up.

I did end up buying a smaller CO2 head, which helped. I was also tempted to vacuum seal the tube.
Last edited by: dyarab: Sep 17, 13 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone see the new 2014 shiv pro?
Price seems about the same as last year, but they added hydraulic brakes, roval 60's, fuel cell and the Sitero.

Wondering how they kept the price about the same?
They did drop the electronic shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tomaco1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomaco1 wrote:
Price seems about the same as last year, but they added hydraulic brakes, roval 60's, fuel cell and the Sitero.

Yes, traded electronic shifting for - Magura RT6TT's, full SWAT storage (Sitero w Cage, Fuelcell, Fuelselage), DA 9000 11 spd, Roval CL60 carbon clinchers. And kept the sticker kit but improved it. Now it's a dual finish gloss/satin sticker kit with one simple "Specialized" for the DT and accent colors for the rest of the bike. Green, Orange, Pink, Blue, Red, White & stock charcoal. Mix and match colors to your hearts content.

We focused a lot of attention on this bike and truly believe it's the best stock race bike around.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have last years with the electronic shifting and love it. I added the rovals and they look awesome. They have also held up great and I ride at 220 and haven't had a single problem with th wheels.
I didn't realize that the electronic shifting was that much more than regular.

MITaerobike wrote:
tomaco1 wrote:

Yes, traded electronic shifting for - Magura RT6TT's, full SWAT storage (Sitero w Cage, Fuelcell, Fuelselage), DA 9000 11 spd, Roval CL60 carbon clinchers. And kept the sticker kit but improved it. Now it's a dual finish gloss/satin sticker kit with one simple "Specialized" for the DT and accent colors for the rest of the bike. Green, Orange, Pink, Blue, Red, White & stock charcoal. Mix and match colors to your hearts content.

We focused a lot of attention on this bike and truly believe it's the best stock race bike around.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tomaco1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How big is the weight difference between the aluminum and the carbon bars for the Shiv?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Are we able to order the Magura brake adapters being used for the 2014 shivs so that we can mount them on 2013 shivs? If so, do you have any info on the adapters such as part #'s and pricing? I couldn't find any info about them on the web.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
I finally got into the Fuel Cell what you're supposed to be able to get into it.

That being a tube, CO2 cartridge, CO2 head, and valve extender but it took waaaaaaay to much time. I recommend getting as much air out of the tube as possible and roll that thing up as tight as you can. I used electrical tape to wrap it and get it even smaller.
I put the cartridge in first then the head which sat on the cartridge. The tube then sat on top of them horizontally. Then I just dropped the valve extender in and let it find it's own space. There is about a hairs width space in between the tube and the soft cover. If anything is touching that cover it pushes it up. I bet thats why so many pros had packing tape on thier fuel cells... to keep it from being pushed up.

I did end up buying a smaller CO2 head, which helped. I was also tempted to vacuum seal the tube.

I didn't have any problems ;)
(Tuffo's Extreme, 2-CO2's, head & valve tool)[/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
dyarab wrote:

I didn't have any problems ;)
(Tuffo's Extreme, 2-CO2's, head & valve tool)[/img]

Did you get a tube in there?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Ports18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No i use latex tubulars. My strategy is to use the Cafelatex as a preventative and have the tuffo's extreme on hand as "Plan B". If that fails i am done.

When i picked up my fuelcell today i mentioned the problems reported on this thread and the dealer opened a Bontrager Race X Lite tube and it fit perfectly. It had a thin plastic packaging around it to keep it tightly packed together. if you are having trouble with space you should really check that out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yoo hayai_240,

You should be able to get the adapters through your LBS, we have them in stock as a service part specifically for what you are asking.

S140700010 - Front
S140700011 -Rear

yes, there is a difference between the front and rear mounts.

Hope that helps, enjoy!

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will buy a Shiv to install some old stuff from my existing triathlon bike and also ultegra Di2.
Now I´m wondering what difference it is between the 2013 and 2014 expert models regarding the frame?
Are they the same and only different colors....
The discount on the 2013 models are pretty big so that is one big advantage (I know that the 2014 model have fuelcel and sitero but no in need for them).

Another question, if I´m just between M and L should I go for the M one?
6.08 tall and Pad reach is 500 and Pad stack 640.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than colors, there is no difference between 2013 frames and 2014 frames.

I'm a bit confused on how tall you are. Are you saying youre 6 foot and just shy of one inch?

With that Pad Stack and Reach you should go with a Medium.

-Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next