Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:
is the shiv faster with the fuelcell than without it?

is the sitero faster with a bottle installed than without?

my liquid & calories go in the Fuselage and BTA so just need to know if my spare tire should go in a fuelcell or behind the saddle and if I should carry a bottle behind the saddle even if its empty

About the same aero with and without Fuelcell. About a watt less power to hold 40 kph with it at ~15 deg of yaw, but I'll call that negligible. As a benefit, since it was designed to draft the front wheel and DT, there's no added side force in a crosswind so it's about the same drag and just as smooth in the crosswind.

Sitero aero with and without bottle. Tricky one to measure until we get a bunch of athletes. Our prelim tests show no drag differences with or without the cage/tripod/bottle. However, I don't like making claims without a bunch of athlete data.

Macca's in the tunnel tomorrow and this is likely one of the tests!

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jaelinfunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaelinfunk wrote:
Where can you order just the fuelselage? I can't find it

http://www.specialized.com/...age-hydration-system

They're available from any Specialized retailer as well.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Last edited by: MITaerobike: Aug 28, 13 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi, does anyone of you guys having trouble or had your seat collar broken?
when i was tightening my seat collar suddenly broke, it came off the frame, and now i cannot tighten the seat collar anymore
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That shipping to kona is bad ass another reason I love my specialized bikes. Not that I am going to kona :( yet..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [papaoski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
papaoski wrote:
when i was tightening my seat collar suddenly broke, it came off the frame, and now i cannot tighten the seat collar anymore

Yup - there are 2 threads going about this already on the forum. I am waiting for my frame to arrive as I write this. Should be Monday. I have been really happy with the way Specialized has handled the warranty issues. Take it back to your dealer and they should get it taken care of for you pretty fast.

-Shane
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jnielsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jnielsen wrote:
Should be a clear sleeve on side of bladder. Feed through black hole on cover, down through sleeve and attach to black screw at bottom. Good luck

Indeed, there was! I don't know how I missed that. Used the newly discovered sleeve this morning and the fuselage went in without the need for a coat-hangar. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
jaelinfunk wrote:
Where can you order just the fuelselage? I can't find it

http://www.specialized.com/...age-hydration-system

They're available from any Specialized retailer as well.

Mark

I placed my order with my dealer last night. Said I should get it first couple weeks of September. We'll see...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane_W wrote:
papaoski wrote:

Yup - there are 2 threads going about this already on the forum. I am waiting for my frame to arrive as I write this. Should be Monday. I have been really happy with the way Specialized has handled the warranty issues. Take it back to your dealer and they should get it taken care of for you pretty fast.

-Shane

If this happens to anyone, please contact Specialized Warranty and Service.

7am - 4pm MST, M-F at: (877) 808-8154 or e-mail us at store_customerservice@specialized.com.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:
is the shiv faster with the fuelcell than without it?

is the sitero faster with a bottle installed than without?

my liquid & calories go in the Fuselage and BTA so just need to know if my spare tire should go in a fuelcell or behind the saddle and if I should carry a bottle behind the saddle even if its empty

We did a quick test and video'd it for you.
www.youtube.com/embed/LmURbiXPREM

1. Typical setup, taped stuff to TT; ST bottle, bottle between the bars
2. Completely clean bike
3. Fuelcell, Sitero w Wing and Ribcage, Fuelselage

1. 4 gels, banana on TT, bottle between bars, bottle on the ST, flat repair stuff taped under the saddle

2.Bike's completely clean - no water, tools, or nutrition

3. Same stuff as in 1, but contained in the Fuelselage, Fuelcell, and using the Sitero integrated storage

The data's solid and pretty crazy. I even added error bars for the ST crew. Huge differences.

Here are the raw CdA's (m^2).

At 40 kph, the power savings is about 13 Watts or 6% aero power savings. Tucking all of the stuff into the integrated storage (SWAT) saves 9 Watts or 4.4%. At yaw (10 degs), integrating the storage actually improves the performance of the complete system - a 6.5% improvement worth about 14 Watts - almost the same drag as a completely clean bike.

And for piece of mind, I didn't move much - here's all three tests overlayed with a threshold to see my back and head didn't move much.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad ass... Great data, I can't wait to get one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, thanks!

I guess the only way left for me to fine tune my setup is going to the tunnel myself...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G'day Mark.

You seem to have developed a way of reducing the high-stack extension mounts on the stock aerobar. As someone who had to swap out the bars, as they were too high, this seems like a great development to me. Do you have anything to tell us about this?

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, these are the low stack clamps for the Shiv. They work on the alloy and carbon Shiv bars (not Shiv TT). They've been available for about 1 year as an aftermarket and service item though of course many shops don't stock them.

The reduce the stack of the extensions by 19mm so it's almost like going to a smaller sized bike with the same stack. The only downside is that you lose the ability to do angle adjust on the extensions.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks for the info. I had seen these on a couple of pro bikes like Ben Hoffman's but had no idea they were available. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Yes, these are the low stack clamps for the Shiv. They work on the alloy and carbon Shiv bars (not Shiv TT). They've been available for about 1 year as an aftermarket and service item though of course many shops don't stock them.

The reduce the stack of the extensions by 19mm so it's almost like going to a smaller sized bike with the same stack. The only downside is that you lose the ability to do angle adjust on the extensions.

Mark

Can you share a link to these, as well as the MSRP? I can't find them at my local S dealer, but they are just what I need to dial in my position.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:

Mark

Can you share a link to these, as well as the MSRP? I can't find them at my local S dealer, but they are just what I need to dial in my position.

I'll get the part number and pricing and repost.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hadn't posted a picture of my Shiv yet, so here ya go. Had to remove all the spacers, get a -28 degree stem, and buy aerobars with a lower pad height to get a Medium to fit me, and I'm 6'1". The end result fits me great. The XL frames must be for giants.

Last edited by: jmX: Aug 31, 13 21:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the helmet, are we able to get those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know this info as well, please. Have exact issue
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not CSPC certified yet.
Even if you can buy this in the US you won't be able to use it in US based races short of 70.3 WC or IMWC.

The guys that I know have the McLaren (TT4) are in Europe or outside of the States
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its Fuelcell also compatilbe with Shiv TT?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Specialized rep was at HyVee this week and said the Evad just got approved. From the one he had, the only difference for US will be a standard chin stap clip in instead of the magnetic clip on the team version. It looked pretty good!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [[SK]peter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[SK wrote:
peter]Its Fuelcell also compatilbe with Shiv TT?

The Fuelcell wass made to fit the Shiv frames, but not Shiv TT.

You can modify it to fit OK but due to the ST/DT Angles being different (Shiv TT is a shallower ST angle for UCI/TT positioning vs. tri positioning). Additionally the Shiv TT has DT bottle bosses and the Shiv has ST bottle bosses.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [fasth2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fasth2o wrote:
A Specialized rep was at HyVee this week and said the Evad just got approved. From the one he had, the only difference for US will be a standard chin stap clip in instead of the magnetic clip on the team version. It looked pretty good!

And yup, the Evade options (for the various certifications - CEN, CPSC, and Australian) have all passed and are beginning shipping. In the states, there are a few shops that have already gotten their first shipments and I know there will be more in September.

The S-Works + McLaren TT is still only CEN certified and only available in those countries where CEN is the approved test standard.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply

Prev Next