Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Finally the long wait has come to an end.
The Shiv arrived in Europe last week and for me it was worth the wait.

I was taking it on the roads for a first spin in windy conditions and was quite surprised how easy it is to handle.
And damn, it is FAST!

I am still figuring out how to put my flatkit in the frame without having it disappearing in the BB. Do you have any good solution for this already? How was your first experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Chris_Mint: May 21, 19 0:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is an idea using an old sock and an old shoe lace. thread the shoelace through the drain hole at the bottom of your fuelcell and prevent it from slipping out by knotting a loop

Last edited by: mammamia: May 21, 19 4:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
I am still figuring out how to put my flatkit in the frame without having it disappearing in the BB. Do you have any good solution for this already? How was your first experience?

Hey Chris_Mint, great that you have received your bike!

For the down tube storage, I can recommend a few things:
  1. Old Sunglasses Pouch
  2. Crown Royal bag
  3. Specialized Swat or Pump wrap (2 versions as seen below depending on what size frame you have and what you intend to store)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one amazing bike!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [mammamia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the shoelace trick!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got any updated feedback or reviews of this bike ? What do you think of it ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. What solutions are you using to hold water bottles behind the saddle?

2. Will placing a bottle in front of the seat tube affects its aerodynamics?

3. How easy is it to clean the water bladder? Do you have to remove it entirely from the bike? How easy is it then to replace it back into the bike?

4. Is it easy to remove the sail? I see Tim Don's video, and he trains without the sail. It looks very nice like a classic bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [drjoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. What solutions are you using to hold water bottles behind the saddle?

I don´t use any bottle behind the saddle.

2. Will placing a bottle in front of the seat tube affects its aerodynamics?

Everything affects the aerodynamics. The bottle at the seattube I use for training only. For races I use the bladder and I take some bottles at aid stations that I throw away directly after drinking.

3. How easy is it to clean the water bladder? Do you have to remove it entirely from the bike? How easy is it then to replace it back into the bike?

It needs a bit of experience but than it is quite simple. You can check the YouTube videos of Specialized. They do it in 2min.

4. Is it easy to remove the sail? I see Tim Don's video, and he trains without the sail. It looks very nice like a classic bike.
This is fairly easy. It is just mounted with two screws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Is there any difference between the limited edition (2019) vs. the 2020 version other than the colors?

2. Is the travel bag safe enough to put on a plane? How does it compare to other bike bags like a Scicon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Is there any difference between the limited edition (2019) vs. the 2020 version other than the colors?
Only the limited edition came with the travel bag. Beside the bag it is basically the same bike.
But the limited edition was only available with the unique paint job and Dura Ace DI2 components. The 2020 versions come with various paint jobs and also with SRAM components if needed.

2. Is the travel bag safe enough to put on a plane? How does it compare to other bike bags like a Scicon?
To my knowledge the original travel bag is not available anymore. I don´t know how it compares to the Scicon since I only have the Specialized one. But the bag is pretty safe and the huge advantage is, that it was specifically made for the Shiv Disc. Meaning, that the bike fits in perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your strategy for utilizing the on bike hydration system for various triathlon distances?

For standard and shorter distances, the on bike hydration in the sail should be enough for the entire length.

However, for 70.3 and Full Distance, it is definitely not enough. So, what would be the most efficient way too manage hydration on this bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 would be perfectly fine with the Full hydration pack. Then I will always have a bottle holder on the back maybe take an extra one in case it is very hot.

--

Ironman is a little more tricky due to the fact it is impossible to refill while riding. Here I would go with those 3 options:

- A. Not too hot or enough aid stations - same strategy than 70.3
- B. Hot or not enough aid stations - 2 bottle holders on the back
- C. Alternative - Stop and refill the tank at an aid station

--

However having said all of that, I do believe the best way would be to fill the tank on the go and I would like to have a similar set-up than Braden Currie.

Any idea where to get such a bottle holder?

Last edited by: fxcasa: Oct 9, 20 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [fxcasa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had not seen that setup before. Good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Has anyone found any good ways to mount a garmin varia on the shiv? Obviously the foil is in the way for me, so I can't get enough seatpost!

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!
Even though I've been reading you all for years, I decided to register to say hello and answer shammad10.

I'm lucky that I do have room between the foil and the saddle, but in one or twice I rode with the bottle in that place, and put the Varia in the chainstain with the Garmin factory mount. It looks pretty clean:
I've taken a picture so you can make yourself an idea:

I hope this helps!

Sorry for my english!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [manuzxr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!!
Does the varia work effectively like this??

My varia seems to be very close to the disc brake when I put it like that!
Last edited by: shammad10: Jan 22, 21 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the place I would put the light that could go into the wheel and cause some damage/crash, but HEY, if it works for you- run it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only tried once or twice, and worked fine for me. But yes, Its a little scary...

You can try in the saddle with the Varia upside down. I don't know if this would work well though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t look like you have a disc on your wheel. I see no disc and a brake block.

No way in hell I’d mount a Varia there even if it fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the wheels I use for storage/turbo training.
Obviously when I'm riding the bike I use a wheelset with a rotor installed on it. It fit, and yes it's pretty close to the rotor, but I haven't had any issue when I tried. With that said, I understand your fears about it. It's pretty scary...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you mount a peace of mind oriented safety device in a position that’s “kind of scary”? Doesn’t that defeat the point?

Does the radar even work that low? I’d think the range would be compromised given it’s designed to be mounted higher.

The effectiveness of the rear light is certainly reduced mounted so low.

My plan is to order an extra wing thing and super glue the glue the Garmin mount directly to it. I’d imagine it would also be possible to jerry rig some way to attach it to the back of the saddle also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm using Fizik tritone, and with a fair bit of tinkering and stem garmin mount holder, i fashioned a make shift varia holder.

btw i confirm you can invert the varia and it works just fine

Last edited by: melvody: Jan 25, 21 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another way which is far less elegant - i daisy-chained two longer pieces of the rubber bands that came with some of my light mounts and looped around the entire fuel cell. but if it works, it works :)

Quote Reply
Re: Official S-Works Shiv Disc Owners Thread [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it works just fine. I did no noticed any difference in range detection. And also, the light is perfectly visible from behind. But I do prefer the solution provided by melvody. I just didn't have the chance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next