Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse, I've started to notice that during a set of 2 x 20 threshold intervals the 2nd set not only feels a lot harder but is always recording a lower wattage. I've been doing this type of workout for years so I've got a good handle on RPE. So typically the watts of the 1st set will be 250ish and the 2nd set will be 220ish (even lower). Even if I push for a few minutes in a higher gear it takes a mighty effort to get the watts to move northwards - close to the 250ish. Also when starting wattage sometimea doesn't match gearing and speed I used to see previously so I often recalibrate. I'm wondering whether this is due to me coasting after the first set or using the manual calibration now rather than the auto. The off set torque value is 501; I have a Powertap 3G with Joule GPS. Thanks I looks forward to your feedback
Quote Reply
Post deleted by walters [ In reply to ]
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [djastroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I've been using a PowerTap Pro for about 2 weeks and everything was fine until I try to update the firmware. I cannot pair the PowerTap with my Joule GPS device.

Using PowerAgent 7.5.7.34, I've try to do the firmware update. The current firmware is 16.000 and an update was found, 16.030.

The update process seem to complete successfully with a confirmation message asking to unplug the device before adding the battery back.

However, when I check for a firmware update, I'm still at version 16.000 and 16.030 is available to update.

Any clue ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jessie -

I have a PowerTap question that I posted in the attached thread. I apologize in advance for opening another thread, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences and this one was getting so long that I was worried about the question getting lost from users other than yourself.

Regards - Mark

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...5_too_high_P4441945/

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ademerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm wondering whether this is due to me coasting after the first set or using the manual calibration now rather than the auto

By that do you mean you've turned the auto-zero off or that the system doens't have a chance to auto zero since you're on the trainer and not able to coast?

What kind of trainer are you using (assuming you're on a trainer)?

What kind of recovery are you taking in between intervals?

When you do the manual zero, are you pressing "Enter" once in the manual calibration screen?? Do you always get 501?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [hess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give us a call, the update can be hindered by a few different PC/Mac related issues that are best sorted our via phone.

Just to confirm, the PowerTap Pro you have has a removable cap with a USB port, correct?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [SatMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have a PowerTap question that I posted in the attached thread. I apologize in advance for opening another thread, but I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences and this one was getting so long that I was worried about the question getting lost from users other than yourself.

No worries, I posted a reply on the other thread but will past it here as well-

Nothing against the stop test but the bottom line is that we're not going to confirm or deny anything based on the results.

However, we're always more than happy to check calibration values at our facility in Madison free of charge. Depending on our findings, we can discuss options.

Just give us a call to set up the return and evaluation.

1-800-783-7257

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your answer,

Yes it is the new one with the removable cap and the USB port.

I'll give a call tomorrow pm. I look forward to resume training with it...

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse, just to clarify it's a kurt kinetic trainer. Recovery between intervals is 3-5 mins. The power drop for the 2nd interval only started when I began manual zeroing ( didn't happen with auto). The calibration number is a very consistent 501. I think I do press entwr I will check! Maybe I should return to auto zeroing? Thanks again for your feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help. I just want to do some side-by-side testing with another PowerTap on the KK trainer before I send it back to you. Regards - Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [hess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi:

I had exactly same problem. You need install PowerAgent on a computer with windows XP (believe me only with that version of windows) and try to do the firmware update. You always receive the exactly same message "The current firmware is 16.000 and an update was found, 16.030" but at least you can use your PowerTap Pro before the update.

I´m very unhappy with the customer support, because never never gave me a solution for this problem before only 1 day of purchased my hub.

I received this response from the CS Team Lead:

Are you updating the firmware without the battery in the powercap? If it comes up as 16.000 you will just need to perform the update again. Make sure the update does come up as 16.030 when finished. Unplug the powercap, put the battery back in, and then configure the device through poweragent to make sure 16.030 is on the powercap. I have heard of the firmware update taking a couple times on some powercaps.

xxxx xxxx
Customer Service Team Lead
Saris Cycling Group

YOU HAVE HEARD ??? Before 3-4 mail I tried fix the problem for myself.

Last edited by: IntiLoaiza: Feb 28, 13 19:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [IntiLoaiza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntiLoaiza wrote:
Hi:

I had exactly same problem. You need install PowerAgent on a computer with windows XP (believe me only with that version of windows) and try to do the firmware update. You always receive the exactly same message "The current firmware is 16.000 and an update was found, 16.030" but at least you can use your PowerTap Pro before the update.

There is actually a Windows XP Virtual Machine available for Windows 7. Freely downloadable from Microsoft. I used it for a while when I had some software that would only run on Windows XP.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 3 month old powertap g3 paired to a garmin 500. I haven't had any issues until today. I went for a ride and it seemed like the wheel was dead. I tried to pair my 310 also but no luck. CycleOps claims the battery life is 300 hs and I am no where close to this. Any one have a suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Cajuntriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change the battery and check the firmware of the hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [IntiLoaiza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I called to the CS last week and spent an hour or so trying to troubleshoot the issue. The tech was able to remote connect to my computer to see what was the problem. After an hour he decided to send me a new powercap.

I should receive it this week. I'll keep you posted on new development.

It's disappointing to end up with a broken product in such a short period of time but I have to say that it was not a problem to get some help from Cycleops and find a solution. My experience with the customer support was #1.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the power tap but man it gets expensive when you need a few or 5 of tjel like I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using the Joule Gps, but in the normal user manual I can't find things like calibrating with a powertap hub, manual zero, etc. Does anybody have a complete user manual or where can I download it (I have the one from the cyclops website).

Thanks,

Walter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse,
Just checked my torque offset and it came out as 488. It's out of warranty so its going to require a rebuild.
Is this number low enough to require it? What would you consider the threshold for sending it back?

--Alan
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. I recently got a Powertap SL 2.4 non Ant+ version and updated it successfully update it using an upgrader.

My Edge 500 no discovered the Powertap without any problem and displays the sensor ID correctly. However when I try and calibrate it just sits there saying calibrating. Is this normal for an upgraded SL 2.4? The Edge 500 is running the latest V3 firmware.

I've not got a Shimano freehub on it right now to actually test the power at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [walters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walters wrote:
I'm using the Joule Gps, but in the normal user manual I can't find things like calibrating with a powertap hub, manual zero, etc. Does anybody have a complete user manual or where can I download it (I have the one from the cyclops website).

Walter I found myself in exactly this position so mailed Saris direct.This is what I was told. The Joule GPS automatically performs a calibration once it is 'woken up'. If when coasting you see a number other than Zero you can stop (must be still no pressure on pedals) navigate to power sensor and hit manual zero and this should sort it.

I love powertap and the Joule but right from day one my issue has been that the Joule instructions tend to tell you what the Joule does not how to do it. It took me ages to work out how to type a bike name in using the Joule!! Then I discovered its all much easier via Poweragent.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Walter
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [walters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can't find things like calibrating with a powertap hub, manual zero, etc.

Sorry about that, we're working on a new version of the user guide that includes this info.

In the meantime if you give us a call we'd be happy to walk you through it over the phone.

The manual zero feature is located under sensors (bottom of the sensor detail page where you perform the pairing and can see the sensor ID. Once you select manual zero from there you'll see the offset values etc. and the firmware version of the hub and you can actually perform a manual zero from there by selecting "manual zero"

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [amclean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
torque offset and it came out as 488.

Odds are it is ok but that is pushing the normal limits. If it changes much beyond this you should send it back.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [euan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2.4+ units do not support manual zero requests over the ANT+ channel, you need to use a Cervo or Joule 2.0.

The auto-zero feature in the hub will keep your numbers good.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Quote:
I can't find things like calibrating with a powertap hub, manual zero, etc.

Sorry about that, we're working on a new version of the user guide that includes this info.

In the meantime if you give us a call we'd be happy to walk you through it over the phone.

The manual zero feature is located under sensors (bottom of the sensor detail page where you perform the pairing and can see the sensor ID. Once you select manual zero from there you'll see the offset values etc. and the firmware version of the hub and you can actually perform a manual zero from there by selecting "manual zero"

After reading this forum and looking at the answers I think I understand the gps joule, but it would be nice to have a good user manual.

Thanks,

Walter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the LYC, and after declining to upgrade to the latest poweragent, I finally did: 7.5.7.34 for my PC. Now I can't seem to merge my activity anymore. I used to be able to merge right on the download, now when I try to merge using the 'tools' function- it basically gives me error messages saying the one or more data overlaps. Please help with any advice.

Thanks-
Mcycle
Quote Reply

Prev Next