Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys I have an issue I can't seem to figure out, hopefully you can help. I bought an old wired Powertap off the classifieds here, I think its an original or maybe second year with a yellow dust cap. It didn't come with a cradle or anything, so I bought a used cradle (also off here) and downloaded the PowerAgent software. I've got the latest and greatest version (just downloaded the update today in fact, version 7.5.7.34), but for some reason the program doesn't recognize my PT head unit. the computer recognizes that I've plugged something in (I'm running Windows 7), and seems to have a driver for it, but when I click on "Configure Device" or "Download Data" I just get a "No supported devices were found" error. The PT head unit is turned on when I do this.

I sent in a help ticket through the program, and the response back was to check and see if it works on someone else's cradle. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with a PT, so that doesn't help.

Is there anything I can do, or do I just need to buy a new USB cradle from CycleOps? Is the new USB cradle even compatible with these old PT head units?

Everything else about the PT seems to work. I just can't upload data to PowerAgent.

Thanks,
dave

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [djastroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but for some reason the program doesn't recognize my PT head unit. the computer recognizes that I've plugged something in (I'm running Windows 7), and seems to have a driver for it, but when I click on "Configure Device" or "Download Data" I just get a "No supported devices were found" error. The PT head unit is turned on when I do this.

The old USB cradles are known to require a little extra "push" when inserting the computer into the cradle. Try pushing it on until you get a solid "click" noise/feel from the connection.

Also, do not plug your USB cable into a monitor or docking station, make sure it is plugged directly into your PC.

Do you know for certain the cradle worked before you bought it?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Quote:
but for some reason the program doesn't recognize my PT head unit. the computer recognizes that I've plugged something in (I'm running Windows 7), and seems to have a driver for it, but when I click on "Configure Device" or "Download Data" I just get a "No supported devices were found" error. The PT head unit is turned on when I do this.

The old USB cradles are known to require a little extra "push" when inserting the computer into the cradle. Try pushing it on until you get a solid "click" noise/feel from the connection.

Also, do not plug your USB cable into a monitor or docking station, make sure it is plugged directly into your PC.

Do you know for certain the cradle worked before you bought it?

Hi Jesse, thanks for the quick reply. I pushed the head unit into the cradle as much as posible, and it clicked pretty well. I also had it plugged into the USB right into the PC. But I don't know for certain if the cradle worked before I bought it. I assumed it did. I guess the only alternative is to purchase a new cradle and see if that works.

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [djastroman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be worth a call into our Tech. support team. There are a number of other checks they can run you through.

1-800-783-7257
M-F 8-5 CST

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jessee
I have a new g3 powertap.
Been using it for about a month.
I check the calibration on my edge 500 before every ride.
Generally falls between 505 and 516
The other day i did a manual calibration 10 minutes into my ride and calibrated as 506 and the i did a 6 minute cp test and average 415 watts for 6 minutes. Ayway, calibrated this morning at 512 and attempted to do intervals of 2 minutes at 415 but was wayharder than on saturday
Whats the deal
Thanks,
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Mikemartin77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were you able to average for your 2 minute intervals? How many were you able to do? How much time in between intervals? Can you provide any other reference points? (your weight and maybe a 40k TT time might be helpful too).

What other conditions were different between the CP6 test and the intervals? Indoor vs. outdoor??

Generally speaking, unless you saw crazy numbers (either offset values or actual power) the numbers don't lie but there are obviously exceptions.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No real difference in conditions.
Same course.
Same temp.
The 415 for 6 minutes was outside my usual test and my cp 2 and cp 10 were bang on earlier in the week and it just felt too easy. I am wondering what he impact of the 506 calbration vs the 512 calibration today would be.

415 was way too hard today. I was failing on all 9 of the 2 minute intervals but the PT reported a 6 minute aberage of 415 on saturday.

For reference my cp 2 is 440 right now and my cp 10 is 315
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And sorry about the terrible ipad spelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jessee
What do the offset values imply in terms of watts. I.e. what does each increment of offset value imply in terms of Nm of torque?

It felt like the 506 offset values that was registered before i did the cp 6 test was not offsetting enough so the registered wattage was too high. After the test the unit calibrated at 512 so i am trying to figure out whether my gut is correct. It felt like i put out 360 watts so it felt like the actual readings from the Pt were about 50 to 60 watts too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok starting with the obvious- are you by chance looking at avg. power without zeros? Can you send me the two files?

The offset values are just that, the amount that the system needs to offset the raw torque values by in order to maintain accuracy. As such, there is no difference between a 506 offset and a 512.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not looking at averages.
I am comparing the power generated over a six minute segment on saturday on a cp6 test ride with the power i was subsequently generating on intervals a few days later.
This is of course averge power for the si minute segment but there are no zeroes as this was an all out six minute effort.
How can i send you the two files?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing.
When i calibrate 10 times in a row the number frequently jumps around i.e. 508 506 510 512 514 etc....
This is why i am asking about the significance of the offset value because i calibrate a few times and it is all over the map. So if the real offset is 512 but the last time i calibrated it generated a 506 then it is only offsetting 506. The offset does not appear stable.

I am calibrating in the garage, doing a few sping of the wheel, calibrate again, spin the crank a few time and calibrate again. No consistency to the offset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can email files to me at jbartholomew@powertap.com

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The offset should be stable, at least when performing it repeatedly, but the variance you're seeing is still well withing the expected range. Were you clipped in when zeroing? Sitting on the bike or off?

I didn't see anything strange in your files (you can usually see zero offset errors in the files). Some observations, feel free to dismiss:
  • your warm-up before the test seemed about twice as long as before the intervals, is that right?
  • Your heart rate was a good 10 beats lower for the intervals (more than that for the first few) than the first 2 minutes of your test. Fatigue??
  • Your rest intervals also seem short.
I'm not a coach but these factors seem important. Have you tried the intervals again?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm contemplating buy a used powertap pro plus off the classifieds from late 2010/early 2011. What would be the big difference between the new G3 powertaps that came out in 2012? Would i be missing out on some big improvements or updates by purchasing the used powertap? Also, do you have an authorized repair centre in Canada?

Thanks

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse.

My PT Elite always says in Manual Zero Joule 14.091:
Torque = 0550
Offset = 0550
Firmware version : 6.26

If the offset is always the same, the measurement of power is good?

I've noticed that the value of my cadence is very low. This offset can cause this problem?

Thanks.
Last edited by: DrJuanDenis: Feb 18, 13 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What would be the big difference between the new G3 powertaps that came out in 2012? Would i be missing out on some big improvements or updates by purchasing the used powertap? Also, do you have an authorized repair centre in Canada?

Service Centers are listed here (we have two in Canada):
http://www.cycleops.com/en/power-tap-service-centers.html

Regarding differences between G3 and Pro (in a nutshell):

+G3 saves over 100g
+G3 uses ABEC 5 bearings which roll better and are more durable (better seals)
+G3 uses a different electronics design which provides 2 key advantages:
>The G3 electronics are housed in the removable cap along with the battery, separated from the core measurement elements which means they can be replaced/serviced in the field
>The G3 wireless antennae is also housed in the removable cap so it can be upgraded to something (Bluetooth for example) in the future.....

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [DrJuanDenis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep an eye on that one.

If it changes it should be sent back for a check-up.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can the bearings be upgraded in the pro plus by my bike shop? Or would I need to send it in to have them upgraded to a better bearing?

I'd be interested in upgrading them if possible.

Thanks

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two sl+ and a G3 hub, last two years I used a Garmin edge 705 to register the power and to calibrate/zero the hubs. Just got the Joule GPS and I like to know how to calibrate/zero the the hubs with this device. I can't find anything about it.

Thanks,

Walter
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [walters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap

I have two g3 and one g3c in the last last I have notice super high power numbers. I have three garmin 500 and a Joule 3.0. Everything is running current firmware. So when I am on the trainer or outside they all display high power numbers 2400 plus and 70 watts on soft-pedal. Is this the coast down calibration? I also calibrate everything before my rides. It is annoying as it skews all my data. Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [So-Awesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So-Awesome wrote:
Powertap

I have two g3 and one g3c in the last last I have notice super high power numbers. I have three garmin 500 and a Joule 3.0. Everything is running current firmware. So when I am on the trainer or outside they all display high power numbers 2400 plus and 70 watts on soft-pedal. Is this the coast down calibration? I also calibrate everything before my rides. It is annoying as it skews all my data. Any ideas?

Also note my other Powertap hubs do not have any issues

Thanks in advanced
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can the bearings be upgraded in the pro plus by my bike shop? Or would I need to send it in to have them upgraded to a better bearing?

We prefer to service the bearings at one of our certified service centers.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [walters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the last item on the sensor details page. We're working on a video for this.

Sensors>(select the active power meter)>Scroll to the bottom (Manaul Zero) > Press Select while "Manual Zero" is highlighted.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [So-Awesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's best to give us a call on this one. We'll have some follow up questions to determine if the units need to be sent back or not.

1-800-783-7257

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply

Prev Next