Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [nscott1463] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue - bad news is you will likely have to send it in but the good news is there is a good chance you will have the option to upgrade your axle to the latest(10mm?) for a nominal charge - I did it and it pairs flawlessly with my edge 500 and is a little less flexy due to the axle upgrade - worth the hassle for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn I was hoping I was just doing something wrong. How do I know if I new to send it in? Did you update yours and have it look like it updated correctly? (ie green lights flashing)
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [pdavis10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had this problem on three separate occasions on outdoor rides and I have only had the G3 since Novemeber and use it only once a week. Powertap guy, what gives?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, successful update but would not pair with either my garmin or lyc after the update. I spoke with saris customer service and they said just send it in and they took care of it (for a reasonable fee of course)
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gradiology] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gradiology wrote:
I have had this problem on three separate occasions on outdoor rides and I have only had the G3 since Novemeber and use it only once a week. Powertap guy, what gives?
Interesting. I was talking to a guy at a race a couple weeks ago that only had his G3 wheel for about 4 months and his battery died. Wonder if there's something discharging those G3 batteries prematurely.

Anyone that bought the Cycleops branded wheels (A23 rims) have problems with the rim tape shifting? I got 2 punctures because the rim strip is way too narrow and it shifted just enough so one of the spoke holes was partially exposed, thereby puncturing my tubes. Why on earth do they use 17mm tape on a 23mm rim? I put Velox 22mm on and everything's good, but some tires are hard as hell to get on.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the PT reply that it's a software issue so I called Saris and they are going to repair it once I send the wheel back. She told me it was all or mostly on the rebuilt PTs like mine that I upgraded from the old version.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spoke to saris on the phone today and the customer service guy told me to try the updater 4 or 5 more times until I got it to work. He mentioned they had received a decent amount of feedback that the updater was giving false readouts and although it was giving a positive update signal (flashing green lights) that the update may not have completely taken while also knocking out the regular ANT signal. This also makes me wonder how many updates are actually on one of those $100 things. I know all formal content says 1 update per device, but I've also read that they put an extra update on there just in case the first one doesn't take. As of today, the customer service guy said "try 4 or 5 more times and if it still doesn't work then give us a call" makes me wonder if there's even more than just 2 updates on there. Or maybe its programmed to only work with 1 hub regardless of how many times that 1 hub is "updated". I'm gonna give it another shot tonight and see if I can't make this thing work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions for you. I just had my older PT SL rebuilt with the new G3 internals. When I use my Garmin 500 and go through calibration it shows "Current Calibration: -2816" and "Torque: 45.08" Should the calibration number within the 512+/- number?

Last night I was about to get on the trainer, I spun the wheel and the Edge 500 picked up the PT signal, then I went in to calibrate and went back to the home screen and suddenly it wouldn't pick up any signal from the PT. Any idea if this would be a Garmin issue or possibly something I'm doing wrong with the PT?

Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [bbrisket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brisket, my friend is going through the exact same thing after his aluminum body hub got rebuilt with the new internals. His number is -2820 showing a torque of 96.69! That's like the weight of something crazy like 270 lbs! He told me it flashed zero then it showed the 96.69. He also did a torque test and it came up withing 2% and said it 'feels' like it is reading a little high. So, curious to what the Saris guys have to say on this. Good luck, I'll stay tuned.
ps, 512 is the value only given by the little yellow Powertap computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RK250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply RK....mine does the same thing....it flashes back and forth between zero and 45.08 with no pressure or tension applied to the wheel. I agree as well that it would seem that my readings are a bit high. I normally ride on my powerbeam but I was doing critcal power TT's......my endurance zones feel lower than they do on the powerbeam. I'll ride on the powerbeam this weekend and see what kind of readings i'm getting between the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
spoke to saris on the phone today and the customer service guy told me to try the updater 4 or 5 more times until I got it to w

The info. you got on the phone today is slightly off-base.

Re-trying the update *might* fix your pairing issue but you don't need to do it multiple times. Just do it one more time. (there are 3 updates on each updater).

More importantly, what firmware is on your LYC? You need to update the LYC firmware for it work with an updated hub. This is called out in the user guide that came with the updater. Regardless of firmware version, try the "Learn 2" option for pairing.

With the Joule 2.0, be sure to add a new sensor after the update since the wireless protocol changes with the update you need to add a new sensor.

A fresh set of batteries never hurts either.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jesse. I tried the updater once more and this time it worked! I'm not sure what was different about the update but I cleared the joule of all the sensors and added a new one an the wheel paired up just great. Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 which Garmin do you have and what firmware is on it?

Which PowerTap model do you have?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gradiology] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gradiology what problem exactly are you referring to happening on three separate occasions?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Azr43l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Interesting. I was talking to a guy at a race a couple weeks ago that only had his G3 wheel for about 4 months and his battery died. Wonder if there's something discharging those G3 batteries prematurely.
Anyone that bought the Cycleops branded wheels (A23 rims) have problems with the rim tape shifting? I got 2 punctures because the rim strip is way too narrow and it shifted just enough so one of the spoke holes was partially exposed, thereby puncturing my tubes. Why on earth do they use 17mm tape on a 23mm rim? I put Velox 22mm on and everything's good, but some tires are hard as hell to get on.

The G3 will get about 300 hours of battery life so depending on use, 4 months isn't out of the question.

We'll take a look at the rim strip, sorry about that. We're not using the A23 anymore and the replacement is a bit narrower.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bbrisket what firmware is on your Garmin Edge 500?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bbrisket, also, have you sent your PowerTap back for service recently??

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The garmin is version 3.0.....and yes I just got my rebuilt PT wheel back about a month ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twice I was getting abnormally high power readings and once abnormally low by at least 80-100 watts, despite manually zeroing it. I got the G3 upgrade in November and kept my original shell from the older model. Your employee confirmed what you had said earlier about there being a calibration problem on some of the G3 upgrades that require sending the wheel back to you. I am sending mine this weekend after my Saturday ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If (and only IF) you're getting exceptionally strange readings during a manual zero with a recently serviced PowerTap hub please call us to set up a return.

1-800-783-7257

Sorry for the inconvenience this is causing, we had a problem with our calibration fixture at the Madison facility and a few units got out before we caught the problem. Units being sent back now will be fixed up as fast as we can.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to be redundant here but is what i described above "exceptionally strange" the Calibration of -2816 and Torque of 45.08 ?

FYI, just got the Garmin when I got my PT rebuilt so I'm used to the LYC #'s not whatever i'm seeing now. Thanks for all the info!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops, sorry forgot to answer that part of your question-

The Garmin should report the same values as the LYC. 500-524 is the normal range.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the garmin edge 500 and the powertap pro hub. Thanks!

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I do a manual zero offset on the LYU do I also have to do a manual zero offset on my Garmin (using two units at the same time)? In other words, if I do a manual zero offset on the LYU does the zero offset change in the hub so a second manual zero offset on the Garmin is redundant?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If I do a manual zero offset on the LYU do I also have to do a manual zero offset on my Garmin (using two units at the same time)? In other words, if I do a manual zero offset on the LYU does the zero offset change in the hub so a second manual zero offset on the Garmin is redundant?

That would be redundant, yes. You only need to perform the manual zero from one of the devices you're using.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply

Prev Next