Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official PowerTap Thread
Quote | Reply
Lets see your PowerTap!

This is the place to share your experiences with PowerTap. Please feel free to post pictures, ask questions about anything PowerTap related or power related for that matter. We will do our best to answer your questions, give feedback and share information whenever possible. We are experts in our field and are happy to share information with our loyal users when we can.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wired Powertap. Bombproof. All day.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Dec 6, 12 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half Disc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had a HED Jet 9 with a powertap for about a year and a half now, generation 2. Wife and I share it. Has worked without problems so far, even survived a car crash and torrential rains. We use it for training, road racing, and put a wheel cover on it for time trials/multisport events.

We use the "little yellow computer" as a head unit which I dig because it is cheap, and aero shaped ;)

Have raised FTP from ~250 to ~270 in the last year with it. Pacing time trial efforts with it is a massive advantage. I've definitely improved my placing due to that, especially in events with a lot of wind and climbs which can make pacing optimally tricky to do by feel.

Me in a road race:

Wife in a TT with the wheelcover on

If you need a power meter that is going to be used on many bikes, a HED Jet wheel + wheel cover will work well for all situations. It is a nice setup.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Dec 6, 12 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow - you've been back for a while and I missed it. welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'd like to know how much variability is too much.

I have an older ant+ model and a joule 2.0 head unit. I notice the readings fluctuate on the powertap way more than say on my power measuring trainer. Others have reported the trainer as being fairly precise, at least the way I'm using it. I've done the stomp test, and all looked well, as far as I can tell. I was imagining centrifugal force causing a bad connection, but it's also possible this is how much the numbers are supposed to vary. I have the head unit set on 6s averaging. I never looked into whether it stores the data filtered with some kind of 6 second window, or whether it displays it that way.

So what are the tests an advanced user can do to diagnose his PM?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why does my powertap have twice the variability in readings as my quarq?

ie yesterday on trainer ride, a 6min segment, PT(min,max,avg) 277,375,325 Quarq 320,370,342

the powertap seems to jump around way too much even on 3sec avg, ie 270,310,285,305,268 whereas quarq is 305,310,306,308 for same segment of riding. both on 3 sec avg the numbers jump every sec or so

hanging a known static weight from cranks, it seems to be within margin of error and zero offset is 502, so that seems good, just dont get the jumping around so much. looks like a seismegraph in wko+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/img][/img]

2011 Zipp 404 w/SL+

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Last edited by: KyraMorgan: Dec 6, 12 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pictures.

First - I am very pleased with my powertap(s). I have owned 3 hubs: SL+ 24h (sold), SL+ 20h, Elite+ 20h.

I have owned an LYC, and 2x Joule 2.0s.

I am quite happy with my decision to switch from SRM to a powertap and have only had a few issues.

1> The last time I checked the LYC suffers from time dilation - reported here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2969032 As far as I know, still not resolved.

2a> My original Joule 2.0 had the interval button go bad after about 3 months of use, the second Joule 2.0 is now almost 2 years old and the mode button/joystick are starting to become a little finicky. IMO - those buttons should have a lot longer life then that!

2b> I semi-regularly experience data corruption on my Joule 2.0, that requires me to run chkdsk on it. I have an athlete (Mac user), that has this occur more often then not and is constantly calling for support to fix it.

3> At both Kona 2011 and Kona 2012, my Joule 2.0 experienced cut outs around Mauna Kea resort, just prior to the turn off the Queen K. In 2011, I figured it was due to low batteries, but in 2012 I put fresh batteries in - still an issue. Maybe everybody using wireless got nailed there though....literally the only place I've *ever* had issues; not even in my basement 5 feet away from my TV, stereo, computer, and two giant fans.

That's the only complaints I've got about ~3 years of powertap usage. If I hadn't just acquired a Garmin 910XT, I'd be buying a Joule GPS - maybe in a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
why does my powertap have twice the variability in readings as my quarq?

ie yesterday on trainer ride, a 6min segment, PT(min,max,avg) 277,375,325 Quarq 320,370,342

the powertap seems to jump around way too much even on 3sec avg, ie 270,310,285,305,268 whereas quarq is 305,310,306,308 for same segment of riding. both on 3 sec avg the numbers jump every sec or so

hanging a known static weight from cranks, it seems to be within margin of error and zero offset is 502, so that seems good, just dont get the jumping around so much. looks like a seismegraph in wko+

My guess is that it is because the Quarq is sampling over one pedal revolution whereas the PowerTap samples over some amount of complete wheel revolutions. So the PowerTap will sometime sample over only or mostly the 'power phase' of your pedal revolution and other times only or mostly over the dead spot, hence varying more. Quarq (and SRM, and probably also Power2max) will always have both the power phase(s) and the dead spot(s) in each reading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're back Jack!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my PT. I bought it used from ST classifieds several years ago and it's still going strong. I have a 2.4sl wireless on a Mavic Open Pro. I train on it and slap on a wheel cover for races. I have had several false starts into purchasing a crank based PM but have stuck with my PT. In a thread from yesterday, which I can't find right at the moment to link, another powertap rep/person started talking about an 'upgrade' program to the new hubs but didn't post details. Could you confirm that such a program exists and what the details may be??

Thanks,
Jamie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back. I was doing some research on new tires/tubes a while back and was wishing you were still on slowtwitch to sum up everything I needed to go out and find on my own.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JamieJ wrote:
I love my PT. I bought it used from ST classifieds several years ago and it's still going strong. I have a 2.4sl wireless on a Mavic Open Pro. I train on it and slap on a wheel cover for races. I have had several false starts into purchasing a crank based PM but have stuck with my PT. In a thread from yesterday, which I can't find right at the moment to link, another powertap rep/person started talking about an 'upgrade' program to the new hubs but didn't post details. Could you confirm that such a program exists and what the details may be??

Thanks,
Jamie

Thread is this one and I am also very curious. Seems like a great program.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4316042
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I'm ready for an upgrade too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple questions.

I have a set of TTR3 wheels with a cover on the rear that I use for my everything wheels, at least until I can afford a better front. I got a used SL+ powertap that I want to lace into the rear wheel. I know that I need the dimensions for the wheel and hub so I know what size spokes to order - where can I find that info? I emailed Felt, but no response yet. I have a LYC, how can I ensure that the PT is fully functional before I spend the $$ on the spokes?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any consideration around supporting wired models going fwd? Will there be continued manufacture of wired harnesses, etc.?

I understand the business case for not supporting them but considering how long the wired PTs can last it seems that it wouldn't be a bad idea to support them somehow.

Fwiw, I have three wired PTs with assorted spare parts, harness, etc. and the fact is that I can source a working used PT for less then the cost of an upgraded unit even with a loyalty program. At some point the cost/benefit of owning a wired unit goes south but until then I'm using 'em.
Last edited by: juha-pdx: Dec 6, 12 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the upgrade options from wired to ant+? What is the cost to replace the insides of the hub with a wireless hookup? What is this loyalty program I hear of? I have two wired PTs and don't want to go to a crank based system.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also be interested if there is an upgrade program for an older pro hub with the yellow cover, even if I needed to switch the whole hub out.

That thing keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my SL, but why dies it come apart after unpacking from bike box? Happened last two trips. And the guy at whos place i was staying - a cycle tour host - said its not uncommon. Packed tight in box, skewers out, good amount of pressure from the bike box and when i open it up the the entire cassette and 'freehub?' come right off. All snaps back together no problem, but still....
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What head units are you using on the respective power meters when you see these differences?

What other details can you provide regarding the example data set you provided? Duration of effort? Type (trainer vs. ourdoor?) Terrain if outdoor?? Gearing? Avg. cadence?

In general, the avg. you report (325 vs. 342) is within the realm of possibility given drivetrain losses.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [saunaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The end caps on the PowerTap can be replaced which will solve the issue of them sliding off inadvertently. There is a small o-ring inside that holds it on and if the cassette falls off easily the o-ring is worn out. Call us and we can help you out. 800-783-7257

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding wired models we do intend to fully support them moving forward at least in regards to parts.

After the warranty period, however, in the event of a complete hub failure you may be encouraged to upgrade to a wireless model as we do not have wired internals available anymore. We do have numerous options available for upgrades, including options for those with multiple systems. Please call us to learn more. 800-783-7257

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded from Wired to wireless - got the latest hub and it was $350 including shipping - I now use my Garmin 500 as the Head Unit- very happy with the results

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Last edited by: feman: Dec 6, 12 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who did the upgrade? saris/cycleops?
Quote Reply

Prev Next