Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gdellamattia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a pic of a service center calibration rig which requires a tighter tolerance because we're setting slope AND intercept via the fixture while the Joule simply reports back what the rig is telling it. If you for some reason have access to this rig and are seeing 535 our protocol dictates you would reject this unit and replace the torque sensor. In the field, however, you really are only seeing an offset value (535 in your case) and being within a specific range is not nearly as important. That being said, we often use these values as an INDIRECT indicator of general system health. In other words, a hub that displays a zero offset of 300 instead of 512 can still perform perfectly but the fact that the system has to "tare" or create that large of an offset is an indicator that it is compensating for something and typically speaking when this is the case the offset changes by large amounts, frequently.

So, bottom line is that the offset value is only one aspect of system integrity. In addition, you need to take into account the stability of that number (does it change daily despite relatively similar conditions) and by how much does it change?? Of all 3 of these factors the rate and frequency of change is far more important than the value itself.

All this being said, we're happy to check calibration on any PowerTap systems and provide a diagnosis via one of our dozen or so global service centers.

gdellamattia wrote:
Thanks Jesse.

But 535 is out of range (unused hub) , What should I do?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can duplicate what you're seeing but am honestly not sure if something is broken or if we just haven't built in the ability to change the tab data to correspond to an interval or not. I'm looking into it with our dev team. Stand by....

Jamaican wrote:
Jesse,

I'm having an issue with the heart rate zones in Power Agent. I did a 20 minute interval where my HR went from 145 to 175 increasing steadily. The information is shown correctly on the graphs. However, the HR Zone Tab does not display the data properly. It reads 93.7% (18:44) at 174-250 bpm. Is there a fix for this?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used a 2011 power tap pro + for the first time. I calibrated it, multiple times. The watts jumped around ALOT. They always seemed to center around the actual wattage output, but then they would jump into the thousands. therefore my average watts were sky high and I have no accurate data.

any suggestions? I'm using is with a garmin 705.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin reports back failure.

I did the test 3 times. Tightened it more, failure, left it loose, success, tightened, failure, left it loose success, tightned it failure, left it loose success.

I do have 3 g3s in the house. They all should have been in sleep mode. But I cannot be 100% sure. I wonder if my stop could be broken do you have a picture of what the stop looks like?

It is working fine as long as I don't really crank it down by hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No other tricks, I've tried the 'click'? I have a brand new LYC and cable that I can't get to function. I need to update the firmware so it will sync with my hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok Jesse , you need to verify your quality protocol because is the second new hub with the same problem. Send the HUB to USA from Argentina represent 10% the cost of the unit.

My experience from 2008 with 3 hubs are (484 ; 481 ; 550 ), when the offset is out of range The measurement begins to be erroneous > 2% in big rings. stomp test procedure.

Saludos.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you be willing to post a screen shot or email me directly at jbartholomew@powertap.com

Thanks

Jamaican wrote:
Jesse,

I'm having an issue with the heart rate zones in Power Agent. I did a 20 minute interval where my HR went from 145 to 175 increasing steadily. The information is shown correctly on the graphs. However, the HR Zone Tab does not display the data properly. It reads 93.7% (18:44) at 174-250 bpm. Is there a fix for this?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Would you be willing to post a screen shot or email me directly at jbartholomew@powertap.com

Thanks

Jamaican wrote:
Jesse,

I attached a screen capture, and I also sent the CSV file to your email address.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having another small issue. When I download from the Joule into Power Agent in the "Save Power Data" interface, nothing shows up until I check the "Show Downloaded" box, at which point the ride is visible and ready to download. I've never had to check that box before, and it would seem that checking it implies that the data is already downloaded which isn't the case after just coming off the bike. Have you seen this before?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Do you know what hub firmware you have? We've issued an update relatively recently to address this issue. Alternatively, you should be able to correct it by simply unplugging the cap and replacing it, this acts as a sort of reset.
Not sure what version of firmware I had but I upgraded to the latest. Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to commend Saris on outstanding customer service. I bought a second hand Powertap wheel set here in New Zealand, only to discover that the calibration was way off. Nobody in New Zealand is able to calibrate the wheel so I was feeling pretty gutted that I had wasted my money on a duff wheel. Called Saris in USA who said that if I posted the wheel to them they would service it for free and return it to me. Amazing service. Got the whee back today a few weeks later and it has been upgraded to a G3 internals. AWESOME. Thanks guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did an FTP test this week. Second one I've done since getting my powertap.

Now I can see my power has increased - basically training kind of works. But my FTP came out as lower than before I started. :-(

I did notIce that when I calibrated it - it didn't come up with the normal 506 - I didn't think much of it at the time.

Today - calibrated back at 506 and I was putting out much better figures.

Is this just a blip in my form or a calibration problem ? Anyone had anything like it before ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only time mine has under reported the battery was dying.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I doubt it's that - only had it a few months and it's back to normal since.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best I can tell the 2032's are temperature sensitive.

I read on here somewhere the maxel ones are the best.

The PowerTap guys are pretty good about responding I would guess they will reply to your post in a few days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jessie, I've got a Powertap Elite+ that seems to be working OK, but when I calibrate it from a Garmin Edge 800, it returns -2563. Is that OK or do I need to take it in somewhere?

Thanks!
Harry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today my Garmin would find the powertap, but would not report any wattage, cadence or speed, I pulled the battery, put it back in and now it is at least showing power and cadence. I am still having issues getting my Powertap to send the calibration value back to my Garmin 510. I have all the latest FW 56 on the powertap 2.8 Garmin, and it just sits there and eventually fails. None of my other G3 devices seem to have this issue. Any other advice? Pulled battery, put it back in, put in a new battery.

thanks

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Team Powertap

I just ordered my girlfriend a PT and a Joule 3.0. However, I forgot that she is a MAC person (Iphone, Macbook Air, Ipad, etc) so did I mess up will she be able to download PT G3 to Training Peak via Power Agent?

... Or would she upload directly to Training Peaks directly?

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife's PowerTap Pro (G3 internals) was getting frequent low battery warnings on her Garmin. I would replace the new battery. I took had to resync my Garmin to another one of my PTs last night and got multiple power meters found. I was shocked, since non of my neighbors have one. I put things together tonight when my wife said she got another low battery warning. It upgraded it a few weeks ago to the newest firmware (056). Any ideas on why the PowerTap might be continuously "on". I've had PTs since 2006, and never had an issue like this. Thanks for the help!

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
Hi Team Powertap

I just ordered my girlfriend a PT and a Joule 3.0. However, I forgot that she is a MAC person (Iphone, Macbook Air, Ipad, etc) so did I mess up will she be able to download PT G3 to Training Peak via Power Agent?

... Or would she upload directly to Training Peaks directly?

Just curious why you purchased a Juole 3.0 for her?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
My wife's PowerTap Pro (G3 internals) was getting frequent low battery warnings on her Garmin. I would replace the new battery. I took had to resync my Garmin to another one of my PTs last night and got multiple power meters found. I was shocked, since non of my neighbors have one. I put things together tonight when my wife said she got another low battery warning. It upgraded it a few weeks ago to the newest firmware (056). Any ideas on why the PowerTap might be continuously "on". I've had PTs since 2006, and never had an issue like this. Thanks for the help!

-Pete

I thought I read that the latest firmware update solved the problem with the battery drain. I think it had something to do with the PT not going into sleep mode when it wasn't in use.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
allenpg wrote:

-Pete

I thought I read that the latest firmware update solved the problem with the battery drain. I think it had something to do with the PT not going into sleep mode when it wasn't in use.

My Garmin reported the SW version of the hub as 056. I went ahead and tried reflashing the firmware, but PowerAgent reported that the hub was already updated. I put a new battery in and tried it this morning. After sitting for about 5 minutes, my Garmin wasn't receiving any power readings from the hub. Thus, it appears to be going to sleep now. I'll try again later and see if it's fixed.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, I'm getting initial calibration numbers ranging from -50 to 50 on my 910XT with a G3 hub.. I know it should be around 512, but I've also heard anything from -512 to 512 is okay.. Is this a big deal? The numbers on today's ride looked about right. Its a brand new battery so that's not the issue. Thanks!

Triathlon Calculator
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I think I have a faulty Powertap G3 which I have had a couple of months.

I have just received my wheel back after sending in my Powertap G3 under Warranty to Paligap in UK. It took over 4 weeks to return my wheel !!

On it's return I am starting to get the same symptoms as before. Mainly on calibration with Garmin 800 the readings are starting to get lower with each day/ride, which eventually ended up in very erratic power readings then no power readings and a return under warranty.
Paligap stated that "We have found the issue to be the torque offset is out of the acceptable 500-524 range and the hub is registering the power output incorrectly." They recalibrated.

On return G3 calibration was 510 on the Garmin 800
Next ride 510
Next ride 506
Next ride 406
Next ride 330
Next ride 284

I am never sure if the Power readings are correct as I don't think the G3 has worked correctly since the start.
What I have noticed with the reduction in calibration is that the G3 is transmitting a cadence when the wheel is not spinning. This shows up on Garmin 800 head unit and via USB Ant+ dongle to Trainerroad.
Incidentally Trainerroad has a manual zero option which calibrates to the same values as the Garmin 800.

It already has latest firmware and I have changed battery with no difference.
Any suggestions ?

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [alwynj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alwynj wrote:
Hi I think I have a faulty Powertap G3 which I have had a couple of months.

I have just received my wheel back after sending in my Powertap G3 under Warranty to Paligap in UK. It took over 4 weeks to return my wheel !!

On it's return I am starting to get the same symptoms as before. Mainly on calibration with Garmin 800 the readings are starting to get lower with each day/ride, which eventually ended up in very erratic power readings then no power readings and a return under warranty.
Paligap stated that "We have found the issue to be the torque offset is out of the acceptable 500-524 range and the hub is registering the power output incorrectly." They recalibrated.

On return G3 calibration was 510 on the Garmin 800
Next ride 510
Next ride 506
Next ride 406
Next ride 330
Next ride 284

I am never sure if the Power readings are correct as I don't think the G3 has worked correctly since the start.
What I have noticed with the reduction in calibration is that the G3 is transmitting a cadence when the wheel is not spinning. This shows up on Garmin 800 head unit and via USB Ant+ dongle to Trainerroad.
Incidentally Trainerroad has a manual zero option which calibrates to the same values as the Garmin 800.

It already has latest firmware and I have changed battery with no difference.
Any suggestions ?

Its got to go back again. If a torque tube is not holding its calibration there's nothing you can do and I'm sure it would be the same whatever computer you plugged it into.

You can test its current accuracy with a 10kg or ideally 20kg weight as documented here:http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/...ation-check-76-c.asp

But if the offset is varying that much, then there's a good chance the accuracy will change each ride.
Quote Reply

Prev Next