Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SPBaldwin wrote:
Has anybody out there had any success in replacing the cones on the older wired PTs?

I've got an older model that still shows a calibration of ~510, but is in need of a new cone. (Older = model with flat cover that attaches with two screws). I bought it off of ST classifieds, with the full knowledge that the bearings were a little rough. I was able to use it for a few rides before re-packing the hub - fantastic improvement, but the cone is a bit pitted.

I've called CycleOps, and they no longer manufacture the cone or have any in stock - has anybody used cones from other vendors on this hub? I'd like to get it cleaned up as much as possible.

Thanks!
Sam

Take the cone to a bike shop that has a good selection and find one that's close. You might need to have one ground down to the correct thickness, but you should be able to find one that has the right "curvature" on the cone surface.

The hot tip a few years back was to replace the cone with a Shimano DA one and the DA hub's Ti freehub (required a slight redishing)...I did that and my old yellow cap PT just keeps going and going.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom -
If someone wanted to do the same, what year / model # would they request or have ordered from the bike shop? There are a few different versions of DA available over the past few years, and I want to make sure I get the right one. I've done all my own wrenching, so the labor should not be an issue.

Tom A. wrote:
SPBaldwin wrote:
Has anybody out there had any success in replacing the cones on the older wired PTs?

I've got an older model that still shows a calibration of ~510, but is in need of a new cone. (Older = model with flat cover that attaches with two screws). I bought it off of ST classifieds, with the full knowledge that the bearings were a little rough. I was able to use it for a few rides before re-packing the hub - fantastic improvement, but the cone is a bit pitted.

I've called CycleOps, and they no longer manufacture the cone or have any in stock - has anybody used cones from other vendors on this hub? I'd like to get it cleaned up as much as possible.

Thanks!
Sam

Take the cone to a bike shop that has a good selection and find one that's close. You might need to have one ground down to the correct thickness, but you should be able to find one that has the right "curvature" on the cone surface.

The hot tip a few years back was to replace the cone with a Shimano DA one and the DA hub's Ti freehub (required a slight redishing)...I did that and my old yellow cap PT just keeps going and going.

------------------------
If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.
- Dr. Seuss
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [kvn371] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Wattage list archives:

https://groups.google.com/...vateuts/Ttn6oN4KTt0J

Quote:
On 3/17/07, Ben <lande...@yahoo.com[/url]> wrote:
>
> Can the bearings in a Powertap Pro hub be repacked??
>
> I had some play in my hub (~3,500 miles). Tightened the play and of
> course the bearings are very gritty. Took the wheel to a local shop
> and they suggested I send the whole thing back to powertap (what?!?).
>
> Can someone tell me - can you repack the bearings in a powertap pro
> hub?

You can on the drive side. The question is whether the cone is pitted
or not. The non-drive side is a cartridge and cannot be repacked.

If the archive searches are working, there's lots of information on
this in the archives. You can order cones from Saris, or you can use
an 8sp 105SC. It's also possible to rebuild using 9sp dura-ace
cones/bearings, and even the Ti freehub body.

kvn371 wrote:
Tom -
If someone wanted to do the same, what year / model # would they request or have ordered from the bike shop? There are a few different versions of DA available over the past few years, and I want to make sure I get the right one. I've done all my own wrenching, so the labor should not be an issue.

Tom A. wrote:
SPBaldwin wrote:

Thanks!
Sam

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New G3 (0km) Last Firmware..!

Offset in Garmin 535 , offset in Joule's 501 but 30sec after 535.....

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFC-AnnuV4

Why?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gdellamattia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I updated my g3 fw during a battery change a few days ago, had to upgrade garmin to 2.8 to get it to even register a value. Not sure on the PT FW version.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Tom. I've been searching for a solution for a while (can't access the wattage forum you mention).

That lat bit was helpful - the part about the cone potentially being a match for 8 spd 105SC. I've located a few from wheels manufacturing (http://wheelsmfg.com/products/all-cones.html), and will give it a try with the one that looks the closest (looks like CN-R060, but I'll break out calipers and check the dimensions).

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the time has come, I'm leaving my powertap. I ordered another system today
Jesse and co, you guys have been great, thanks for all your help, but the best people for the job are just a bit too far away when I need them most.
thanks for all your efforts over the last couple of years, it's been fun and I've learned a lot in the process.

ps, if you're ever interested in setting up a service centre in lil' ol' NZ, I'm listening.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do people put a power meter such as Powertap on more than one set of wheels?

Training and racing?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New PT G3 hub working just fine before my winter break. Charged my Joule GPS and it wouldn't read the PT. Chanced the battery, nothing. Updated firmware, nothing. Removed and re-seated, nothing.

Gotta call support but hours are the same as my work hours. Guess I'll have to take the day off work to see about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Xt1ncT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is my pro + upgradable to Bluetooth by just changing cover or do I need shim kit?

Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same issue with my new PowerTap G3 and Garmin 310xt. When I calibrate I get power readings between 3-5 watts. After un-pairing, re-pairing I get it to read what appears to be accurate power #'s but I'm not confident the data is correct because of the issues I'm having.

Quote:
Went for a ride today and the PowerTap seemed to calibrate normally with a value of 506. However the power was only 3-5W for the ride. I stopped for a while halfway into the ride and when I started out again the calibration was now > 25000 but seemed to be reading power in the right ballpark. I stopped a few times and tried recalibrating and the result was always over 25000.

Does this sound like a Ptap issue or a Garmin problem. I'm using a Garmin 800 and PowerTap G3 which is less than 1 month old. I put new batteries in when I received it.

The cadence during the ride seemed normal with no apparent dropouts so I am assuming the batteries are OK.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time PT user but after some time away I was fortunate to purchase a very nice barely used Cyclops 65mm carbon clincher G3 wheelset. Out of the box paired nicely to my Garmin 500 with 3.0 software (reading the features of the 3.2 and 3.3 I am tempted to upgrade but not until others have reported better success). When I did the calibration I came back with very low numbers below 500 but it was very cold in my garage. Went for a short ride when it warmed up and the numbers came up 449 YET THE WATTAGE NUMBERS WERE SIMILAR to what I am accustomed to. I called Saris and was disappointed to find out that their response was that I could send everything in and they would fix everything for $350 and I would get a year warranty. My question is whether it is possible to have accuracy from the PT despite the Edge 500 insisting the calibration is off? I ask because the hub SW is 32 and HW is version 2. In the alternative what about slightly pushing on the pedal while it is calibrating to generate a higher torque value, lock that in, and disable auto-zero? Tomorrow I will have my wheels compared to a calibrated quarq and then I will also perform the stomp test unless someone else has some information along the same lines.

Regards.

paull wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here was having issues with the latest garmin 500 firmware, and powertap pro/g3 ? Are there any issues here known to Cycleops ?

I had a replacement torque tube for my sl+ hub in August, and then that one went bad (initially reading low by about 10%, and then went crazy and calibration went off scale)

Then I had a loan wheel for a couple of weeks and that also seemed to read low by 10%. (have I lost fitness!!??)

But then I got the my wheel back with a replacement torque tube. Now the numbers seem right (I haven't lost fitness :))

Good numbers for a couple of weeks...

Then I get a calibration of 450, and the power numbers are nuts. Stop after 10 mins and recalibrate ... now 530-550.. but numbers seem ok. Then it got higher and higher on subsequent rides, so returned this one and I'm now on another loan wheel with a cycleops joule gps on loan and this seems ok.

So paligap are thinking that the latest firmware for garmin 500 is pushing the calibration out because its strange to get so many problems. its just a theory for the moment

So I'm wonder if anyone else has experienced this and are there any known issues or anything under investigation?
Last edited by: xntrickly: Jan 9, 14 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [xntrickly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xntrickly wrote:
Long time PT user but after some time away I was fortunate to purchase a very nice barely used Cyclops 65mm carbon clincher G3 wheelset. Out of the box paired nicely to my Garmin 500 with 3.0 software (reading the features of the 3.2 and 3.3 I am tempted to upgrade but not until others have reported better success). When I did the calibration I came back with very low numbers below 500 but it was very cold in my garage. Went for a short ride when it warmed up and the numbers came up 449 YET THE WATTAGE NUMBERS WERE SIMILAR to what I am accustomed to. I called Saris and was disappointed to find out that their response was that I could send everything in and they would fix everything for $350 and I would get a year warranty. My question is whether it is possible to have accuracy from the PT despite the Edge 500 insisting the calibration is off. I ask because the hub SW is 32 and HW is version 2. In the alternative what about slightly pushing on the pedal while it is calibrating to generate a higher torque value, lock that in, and disable auto-zero? Tomorrow I will have my wheels compared to a calibrated quarq and then I will also perform the stomp test unless someone else has some information along the same lines.

Regards.

I am due to get mine back today ish. When I had it the calibration suddenly went to 450 and power was about 100w over. Then it changed to 550 and the power seemed reasonable. When they tested my wheel, they said the numbers were fine, so somehow its reset itself. I wonder if these powercap models (G3's or powertap pro?) just don't like the wet ?

I have a loan wheel here. I did a weighted torque test and it was 8% down. Went for a ride, repeated the test with the same weight (identical) and it was exactly right.

Thats showing variability. I'm going to repeat this test a few times today. I'll update here when I have more info but for the moment its looking grim and I'm thinking of getting a refund on this torque tube replacement and buying another quarq instead, even if I have to go legal to get that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As promised... rode with another individual who owns a calibrated Quarq. On two different occasions during our ride he threw in my G3 wheel and rode with it while I watched my Edge and told him the values that I was seeing so that he could compare with his Edge that was paired with his Quarq. Two different segments and on the first for 3.5 miles my PT was 178 compared to his Quarq reading of 182. On the second comparison of 4.1 miles that difference was down to 2 watts difference (http://www.strava.com/...104920947#2269570874) which is expected given the PT being hub-based as opposed to crank based. I suspect that the Garmins may have some difficulty picking up the correct hub value for whatever reason (recall that mine is 3.0 and has not been upgraded to 3.2 or 3.3). No need to do a stomp test on this one as far as I'm concerned.

Regards.

paull wrote:
xntrickly wrote:
Long time PT user but after some time away I was fortunate to purchase a very nice barely used Cyclops 65mm carbon clincher G3 wheelset. Out of the box paired nicely to my Garmin 500 with 3.0 software (reading the features of the 3.2 and 3.3 I am tempted to upgrade but not until others have reported better success). When I did the calibration I came back with very low numbers below 500 but it was very cold in my garage. Went for a short ride when it warmed up and the numbers came up 449 YET THE WATTAGE NUMBERS WERE SIMILAR to what I am accustomed to. I called Saris and was disappointed to find out that their response was that I could send everything in and they would fix everything for $350 and I would get a year warranty. My question is whether it is possible to have accuracy from the PT despite the Edge 500 insisting the calibration is off. I ask because the hub SW is 32 and HW is version 2. In the alternative what about slightly pushing on the pedal while it is calibrating to generate a higher torque value, lock that in, and disable auto-zero? Tomorrow I will have my wheels compared to a calibrated quarq and then I will also perform the stomp test unless someone else has some information along the same lines.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [xntrickly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xntrickly wrote:
As promised... rode with another individual who owns a calibrated Quarq. On two different occasions during our ride he threw in my G3 wheel and rode with it while I watched my Edge and told him the values that I was seeing so that he could compare with his Edge that was paired with his Quarq. Two different segments and on the first for 3.5 miles my PT was 178 compared to his Quarq reading of 182. On the second comparison of 4.1 miles that difference was down to 2 watts difference (http://www.strava.com/...104920947#2269570874) which is expected given the PT being hub-based as opposed to crank based. I suspect that the Garmins may have some difficulty picking up the correct hub value for whatever reason (recall that mine is 3.0 and has not been upgraded to 3.2 or 3.3). No need to do a stomp test on this one as far as I'm concerned.

Regards.

Yes that sounds good. I now have both PT's testing correctly (-1.8% and -1.07%) so happy for the moment. But like I said if mine goes wrong again, I'm throwing all my toys out of the pram !

I'm seeing others starting to complain also. Service has become slow and lots of people are having problems with the powercap models. I hope Cycleops can pull their finger out here, when it starts getting all over forums people are gonna think twice about buying them. (also bad news for me if I decide to sell mine!)

Edit: Saris and Paligap have looked after me well, I'm impressed with their customer service and how they handled this, and I thought it would be fair to say so here :) -- thank you :)
Last edited by: paull: Jan 27, 14 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
too late, my new crank based powermeter turns up tomorrow

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble syncing my Elite+ to the power tap head unit. My Timex Global Trainer has no issue syncing, as I've been using it this way for the past 4 months. I've gone through all the protocols and the device cannot "learn" my hub. Haven't tried to sync the head unit with any other devices. I purchased the items together(used), however the head unit had never been used (in original packaging with protective wrap). I've tried changing the batteries. The transmitting indicator that is supposed to light up in the upper left corner has never shown. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any else have problems with their powertap in the cold? Anything below 25° and it just shuts down and disconnects from my garmins (910 and 510).

Have not tried changing batteries yet. This one is a Pro+ hub, I may put the G3 wheel on the cross bike and see if its different at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
All PowerTap hubs auto-zero after a brief period of coasting.

I know I'm necro-posting here, but I hope no one tries to auto-zero their track PT, hahahaha.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know what hub firmware you have? We've issued an update relatively recently to address this issue. Alternatively, you should be able to correct it by simply unplugging the cap and replacing it, this acts as a sort of reset.

gregf83 wrote:
Went for a ride today and the PowerTap seemed to calibrate normally with a value of 506. However the power was only 3-5W for the ride. I stopped for a while halfway into the ride and when I started out again the calibration was now > 25000 but seemed to be reading power in the right ballpark. I stopped a few times and tried recalibrating and the result was always over 25000.

Does this sound like a Ptap issue or a Garmin problem. I'm using a Garmin 800 and PowerTap G3 which is less than 1 month old. I put new batteries in when I received it.

The cadence during the ride seemed normal with no apparent dropouts so I am assuming the batteries are OK.

Any ideas?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the older Pro models there is a bit of wiggle in the battery connector but the actual connector (the thin circuit board looking piece that actually plugs in to the hub) is usually quite secure regardless.

nord0296 wrote:
Hi Jesse,

I have an alloy wheelset from Powertap, circa 2011. The Pro hub I believe with velocity A23 rim. I've had good luck with it so far and have roughly 9k miles on it, just a few battery changes. Cal almost always between 498 and 503.

Today it seemed to go dead 50 minutes into an hour workout... Basically disappeared from my garmin and TrainerRoad and couldn't be repaired or found again. I decided to replace the batteries (they were 250 hrs old) but that didn't seem to help.

After fiddling with it some more I noticed the battery holder seemed to wiggle around a little. I added a small piece of tape next to it to tighten up the wiggle... And it seems to work again.

My question for you -- should I feel good that this will fix my dropout? (Is this a known issue at all). Or did I just get lucky with my fiddling and it may drop out when I least expect it again?

Thanks for your attention, it really is much appreciated.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems a little odd that it would be that low while brand new but it will be ok as long as it doesn't keep ratcheting downward.

PeteDin206 wrote:
Jesse-

Should there be any concern for a brand new G3 hub that came in and "calibrates" (i.e. zero offset on a garmin) shows in the mid-490's (493-497)? My understanding was the range should be between 500-515.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gdellamattia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The user interfaces between the Joule devices and the Garmin are different.

When you hit the "Calibrate" button on the Garmin it immediately sends the command to the hub and the hub responds immediately with the new offset value.

On the Joule, after entering the page that displayed the "501" value you need to press the joystick in one more time to actually send the command to zero (which you did after about 30 seconds). The 501 is an arbitrary default.

Also, roughly every 30 seconds the hub sends an updated zero offset value regardless of whether or not a command was issued, which is most likely why the 2.0 updated just after you hit the joystick on the 3.0.

gdellamattia wrote:
New G3 (0km) Last Firmware..!

Offset in Garmin 535 , offset in Joule's 501 but 30sec after 535.....

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFC-AnnuV4

Why?

Thanks.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry you to see you leave and good luck with your new system. Do me a favor and email me an honest comparison after you've used it for a few months at jbartholomew@powertap.com

slidecontrol wrote:
the time has come, I'm leaving my powertap. I ordered another system today
Jesse and co, you guys have been great, thanks for all your help, but the best people for the job are just a bit too far away when I need them most.
thanks for all your efforts over the last couple of years, it's been fun and I've learned a lot in the process.

ps, if you're ever interested in setting up a service centre in lil' ol' NZ, I'm listening.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply

Prev Next