Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a garmin edge 500 w/ the latest firmware and also a Powertap Elite+ that was rebuilt last year with upgraded components and firmware. I'm not sure if it has the same G3 parts though. I was wondering if I should be doing a re-calibration through the garmin headunit during the middle of my ride. I am religious about doing a calibration before I start my ride but this is usually done inside my house before leaving. Sometimes there is a decent amount of change in temperature, especially during the fall and winter, from when I calibrate indoors to riding outdoors. Should I be doing a re-calibration through the garmin maybe 15 minutes into the ride? Or does it do this automatically while coasting?

Taking yesterdays ride as an example. I calibrated the powertap inside my home and got a 515 reading back. I went off on my ride and after about 45 minutes of riding, I noticed that my power looked a little low while riding up some hills. When I got to the top of the hill, I did a re-calibration and got back a 518 reading. After that, it looked like my readings were a little more consistent with what I was expecting.

Should we be doing more re-calibrations when we have changes in temperature? I don't think powertap's support auto-zero correct? In my example, was I probably outputting more power than what was displayed by my Garmin up until I did a re-calibration?
Last edited by: hayai_240: Oct 14, 13 12:06
Quote Reply
Post deleted by rijndael [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: rijndael: Oct 19, 13 14:17
Quote | Reply
Anyone know where I can get a replacement O-ring (the larger diameter one for the battery cover) for a wired powertap sl? (Or what the specs are for it?)

Thx,

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emailed the powertap customer support, they're sending me a replacement today no charge...a small thing but also another example of their taking care of their customers. I've got about 15K miles on this PT (wired SL) and this is the first problem I've had (if you could even call this a problem)...I keep trying to wear it out so I can go wireless and I keep failing.

Thanks PT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powerbeam Pro calibration protocol

Hello - I just changed over from a Computrainer to a CycleOps Powerbeam Pro trainer which is much easier to manage for so many reasons - standard power cable, wireless control, quieter, smaller, easier to swap bikes in & out, Joule headset etc.

Anyway, I wonder if other Powerbeam Pro users can share their experiences with calibrating the unit. Do you just leave it on the factory default or do you do a roll down calibration each time prior to use or some other interval?

BTW, I am using the Powerbeam Pro with Trainerroad.com if that has any bearing on the calibration methods to use.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm in the middle of puzzling through a PowerTap related issue, and was wondering if anybody else has had problems/challenges in using 10 speed cassettes with the 11 speed PT freehub.

Background:
I sent in an older wireless PT hub/wheel for repair/upgrade to G3 + 11 speed Shimano freehub and new axle (took less than a week between sending it in and getting it back!), but as I have been trying to put a 10 speed cassette onto the 11 speed freehub, I am running into problems.

The new freehub came with the 1.8 mm spacer, and per the excellent ST article http://www.slowtwitch.com/...acers_2013_3978.html, I was trying to also use the 1.0 mm spacer with a 10 speed Shimano cassette (CS-6600 12-27). I was not able to use both together on the 11 speed freehub - the teeth on the lockring were not able to engage with the total 2.8 mm spacer depth. When I removed the 1.0 mm spacer, I was able to screw down the lockring, but this is not aligned with the guidance that Shimano 10 speed cassettes need both the 1.8 and 1.0 mm spacer!

I've swapped in a SRAM PG-1070 11-25 cassette instead now, as that only requires the 1.8 mm (which is all that fits), but I'd like to get that Shimano 27 tooth ring on for some of the hilly rides in my area. (yes, I need a granny gear...)

Am I crazy, completely doing this wrong, or has anybody else seen this as well with the PowerTap G3s/11 speed hubs?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [alexwong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The calibration values should be around 515 so if you're really seeing values like 1600 then the wheel should be serviced in Madison. Give us a call and we'd be happy to set up a return and confirm the diagnosis.

alexwong wrote:
Hi!

I have a Powertap Pro built into a Bontrager Aura5 wheel. I've only had it a few months and only recently started using it properly with Trainerroads.

Some days, it's fine. I zero it after a warm up and the readings stay consistant. Some days it drifts downwards. eg I could be pushing a steady 200 watts and the power readings drop gradually. I thought I just wasn't working hard enough but it does drop to Zero! So I rezero it and then I get very high readings for a bit and it drifts back to zero.

The calibration numbers vary between 1600 and 1900 and seem very inconsistant. After about 2 hours of trying to get it to give a steady reading, I gave up rather frustrated. My Kurt Kinetic trainer with inRide does give me numbers to compare it to and the values drift down to zero whilst I maintain a steady effort confirmed by the inRide.

What am I doing wrong? It's being read by my Garmin 800 and by Trainerroads via a Garmin ant+ stick and both show the same numbers.

Thanks very much. I don't live near a Powertap dealer and didnt want to send the whole wheel off if I can fix this myself.

I haven't tried changing the batteries yet but will give this a go today

Changing batteries made no difference. If I warm up then calibrate, it gives figures of about 1800. If I do nothing but recalibrate it again and again, the number comes down each time till it settles at 1550ish. O guess the opposite happens as I pedal as it would seem to fit in with the wattage dropping as I pedal - ie that it's requiring a higher and higher calibration number but as I'm pedalling and not recalibrating, the wattage just drops gradually instead. I guess I need to send the whole wheel off somewhere to sort this out???

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [sct0321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you a PowerTap head unit to troubleshoot with by chance?

We seem to be getting more issues reported when a Garmin is in use but having a hard time determining if it is because a lot of Garmin users also use our hubs or if there is some issue with the combination. We've been in touch with Garmin and they are seeing the same thing but nobody can trace it back to anything specific.

Are you still having issues??

sct0321 wrote:
PowerTap G3C issue with Garmin Edge 500 I am seeing strange activity on this set up. Some Rides the Watts and Cadence register correctly and then on a ride the Watts & Cadence will go to zero. I've put a fresh 2032 battery in the hub and the hub is on the latest firmware and the Garmin is on current firmware. I am starting to troubleshoot this. any Ideas?? Thanks!!

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerTap invented auto-zero, so yes we support it. Anytime you coast the system will re-zero in order to accommodate temperature changes. It's near impossible to see a difference between a calibration value of 515 and 518 because these are well within the range of calibration and more importantly this would be like knowing how much your bathroom scale "tared" when you stepped on even though it only displays your weight.

You should double check that the "Auto-zero" feature is turned on in the Garmin Edge.

hayai_240 wrote:
I have a garmin edge 500 w/ the latest firmware and also a Powertap Elite+ that was rebuilt last year with upgraded components and firmware. I'm not sure if it has the same G3 parts though. I was wondering if I should be doing a re-calibration through the garmin headunit during the middle of my ride. I am religious about doing a calibration before I start my ride but this is usually done inside my house before leaving. Sometimes there is a decent amount of change in temperature, especially during the fall and winter, from when I calibrate indoors to riding outdoors. Should I be doing a re-calibration through the garmin maybe 15 minutes into the ride? Or does it do this automatically while coasting?

Taking yesterdays ride as an example. I calibrated the powertap inside my home and got a 515 reading back. I went off on my ride and after about 45 minutes of riding, I noticed that my power looked a little low while riding up some hills. When I got to the top of the hill, I did a re-calibration and got back a 518 reading. After that, it looked like my readings were a little more consistent with what I was expecting.

Should we be doing more re-calibrations when we have changes in temperature? I don't think powertap's support auto-zero correct? In my example, was I probably outputting more power than what was displayed by my Garmin up until I did a re-calibration?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [bob888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roll down is pretty important for making sure all the variables like temperature and rolling resistance are accounted for during each session. If you leave your bike set up you can probably get away with skipping the calibration but if you change anything it's best to calibrate.

bob888 wrote:
Powerbeam Pro calibration protocol

Hello - I just changed over from a Computrainer to a CycleOps Powerbeam Pro trainer which is much easier to manage for so many reasons - standard power cable, wireless control, quieter, smaller, easier to swap bikes in & out, Joule headset etc.

Anyway, I wonder if other Powerbeam Pro users can share their experiences with calibrating the unit. Do you just leave it on the factory default or do you do a roll down calibration each time prior to use or some other interval?

BTW, I am using the Powerbeam Pro with Trainerroad.com if that has any bearing on the calibration methods to use.

Thanks

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes definitely getting calibration numbers in the 1600's. It was sent to Wiggle 2 weeks ago and I suspect they've sent it on to Madison so hopefully I'll get it sorted soon. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can customers in the US send wheels to your facility directly for service? Why is it that in Canada, Orange Sport and Lambert insist that I go through a bike shop?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am still having issues. The issue is very inconsistent. I even opened a case with Garmin and they had me do a hard reset. After that the unit worked for one ride then went back to same issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [sct0321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older wired power tap, and updated my computer to the newest mac OS 10.9. How long before power agent will be able to talk to my LYC again? and is there another way to get my data off the LYC without using power agent?

Thanks

Chris
Last edited by: Where'sTheMap: Nov 7, 13 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There isn't anything preventing you from sending directly to us in the states other than the brokerage fees and shipping expenses. Email me at jbartholomew@powertap.com if you'd like help getting that set up.

Jamaican wrote:
Can customers in the US send wheels to your facility directly for service? Why is it that in Canada, Orange Sport and Lambert insist that I go through a bike shop?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Where'sTheMap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a work around. Email or call our customer service team for instructions:

support@powertap.com

1-800-246-5975

You could also try the Training Peaks Device Agent in the meantime.

Where'sTheMap wrote:
I have an older wired power tap, and updated my computer to the newest mac OS 10.9. How long before power agent will be able to talk to my LYC again? and is there another way to get my data off the LYC without using power agent?

Thanks

Chris

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,
Perhaps you can offer me some help here. I have 3 powertaps, one on each of my bikes and love them. One of them (the first one I purchased in 2011) is not transmitting data anymore. I have changed batteries, tried different computers etc, all to rule out an issue with other parts of the equation but the PT is the constant.

I emailed support and they told me to send it back in to them and it would cost me $350 to get it repaired. I cant believe that its "normal" behavior for the PT to die within 2 years of being used. It would be really disappointing to have to spend all that money to get it working again, not to mention the labor involved with removing it and rebuilding the wheel again too.

Is there anything else that can be done? Can my local Cyclops dealer perhaps do the work on fixing internals without having to send it in and take it all apart etc?

Thanks for your help!
-Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. You guys offer pretty stellar support for your products. Especially for those of us trying to keep older technology working.

Chris

powertap wrote:
We have a work around. Email or call our customer service team for instructions:

support@powertap.com

1-800-246-5975

You could also try the Training Peaks Device Agent in the meantime.

Where'sTheMap wrote:

Thanks

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a new floor model PowerBeam Pro early this week and it finally arrived today. I got the model with the VT software and no head unit. I seet everything up, loaded the VT software, created an account and did a short ride. Seemed really hard.

I then Logged onto TrainerRoad because I read that TR could take control of the PowreBeam and since I didn't have the Joule 3, I thought that would be a nice training solution. I got everything set up on TR and started a FTP test. I was interrupted and stopped part way through. Saved everything, closed out and unplugged the PowerBeam.

A couple hours later I decided to pair the PowerBeam to my 310xt Garmin to act like a power meter. I turned on the Garmin, created a new bike profile and went over to the Powerbeam to pair it. I successfully paired the speed/cadence sensor but it would not find the PowerBeam. I started up TR to make sure the Ant signal was working and TR could no longer find the trainer. WTF, three hours old and no signal from the unit. I unplugged and plugged it back in but still nothing.

Pretty effing pissed at this point. Long frickin weekend and no support.

Any troubleshooting ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked my Garmin and didn't see a auto-zero option. I think this was an available option in the older firmware versions but no longer there in the latest versions. Do you know under what conditions will the system do a auto re-zero?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it back after a service. Now calibrates at 500 and is consistent. It also now give an auto-calibrate option which wasn't offered before.

Apparently it needed a new torque tube.

What a difference! It now responds perfectly to changes in power and doesn't drift all over the place.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off keep in mind that you don't have to disassemble the wheel to send it in. You can take it to your local shop but if the internals need replacing they won't be able to do it.

While it certainly isn't normal for a unit to stop working after just 2 years it can happen. The 350.00 is the standard cost for a complete replacement of the electronics and torque sensor with a G3 version, assuming your troubleshooting was thorough then this is most likely what is needed but we'll confirm after evaluating the system.

Shane_W wrote:
Jesse,
Perhaps you can offer me some help here. I have 3 powertaps, one on each of my bikes and love them. One of them (the first one I purchased in 2011) is not transmitting data anymore. I have changed batteries, tried different computers etc, all to rule out an issue with other parts of the equation but the PT is the constant.

I emailed support and they told me to send it back in to them and it would cost me $350 to get it repaired. I cant believe that its "normal" behavior for the PT to die within 2 years of being used. It would be really disappointing to have to spend all that money to get it working again, not to mention the labor involved with removing it and rebuilding the wheel again too.

Is there anything else that can be done? Can my local Cyclops dealer perhaps do the work on fixing internals without having to send it in and take it all apart etc?

Thanks for your help!
-Shane

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay in responding here, if you haven't already please give our support team a call at 800-783-7257. Typically in cases like this unplugging and plugging back in does the trick.

One note- be sure to only have one control unit paired to the trainer. While it's possible to pair two control units it won't let the trainer operate properly. This would not be the cause of the issue you're having but thought I would mention it.

Burnt Toast wrote:
Bought a new floor model PowerBeam Pro early this week and it finally arrived today. I got the model with the VT software and no head unit. I seet everything up, loaded the VT software, created an account and did a short ride. Seemed really hard.

I then Logged onto TrainerRoad because I read that TR could take control of the PowreBeam and since I didn't have the Joule 3, I thought that would be a nice training solution. I got everything set up on TR and started a FTP test. I was interrupted and stopped part way through. Saved everything, closed out and unplugged the PowerBeam.

A couple hours later I decided to pair the PowerBeam to my 310xt Garmin to act like a power meter. I turned on the Garmin, created a new bike profile and went over to the Powerbeam to pair it. I successfully paired the speed/cadence sensor but it would not find the PowerBeam. I started up TR to make sure the Ant signal was working and TR could no longer find the trainer. WTF, three hours old and no signal from the unit. I unplugged and plugged it back in but still nothing.

Pretty effing pissed at this point. Long frickin weekend and no support.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All PowerTap hubs auto-zero after a brief period of coasting.

hayai_240 wrote:
I checked my Garmin and didn't see a auto-zero option. I think this was an available option in the older firmware versions but no longer there in the latest versions. Do you know under what conditions will the system do a auto re-zero?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, even if it was a bit late. I have been in tough with support and everything is being workout out.

Question about the PowerBeam....Should I unplug it after every ride?
Quote Reply

Prev Next