Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
. I used to be able to merge right on the download, now when I try to merge using the 'tools' function- it basically gives me error messages saying the one or more data overlaps

The merge option on the download window was causing longer download times than we wanted so we moved it to post-download.

It shouldn't cause the errors you're seeing, has it happened more than once??

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Quote:
. I used to be able to merge right on the download, now when I try to merge using the 'tools' function- it basically gives me error messages saying the one or more data overlaps

The merge option on the download window was causing longer download times than we wanted so we moved it to post-download.

It shouldn't cause the errors you're seeing, has it happened more than once??

I spoke with PT/Saris customer service yesterday and they told me to send an email to customer service through my poweragent. I received a reply back with a link to a beta fix for the problem. I will install that and see how it goes.

Thanks-
mcycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't see it under the cover, but it's there :)

Question - Have ridden it 3-4 times using the 910, I get an ocasional dropout when it drops to 0, since the garmin is on autopause, it pauses, then starts again. On two occasions it's dropped to 0 for several minutes and no matter what I do, will not read again. It eventually does...... Or, it has gone down to reading 3 (or some random number) for a short time, then comes back on

Usually when in the aero position, but happened on the road bike as well.

I assume I should turn of fthe 910 autopause?

Is the ddropout an issue I need to be concerned with or is some of that expected.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have three PTs ( one is about to be sold on). What kind of power reading variation wheel to wheel might I expect to see if I do not do a Garmin calibration between swaps? Do the 'current'readings reported by the Garmin calibration have any bearing on wheel to wheeel power reading differences? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I'm a new PT PRO+ owner. I just bought one used and am encountering some problems.

The guy I got it off had it serviced (not confirmed if it indeed was; would have been in Melbourne) before racing IMNZ early March. It sat idle until he boxed it up and set it to me 10 days ago.
I paired it to my 705 and set off.

On my first ride, it worked OK (I believe) with the exception of it dropping out in the latter stages of the ride on a slight downhill - it would drop out for 10-30 seconds then pick up again.

Second ride: Works OK until about 15mins into the ride where it completely drops out - no signal at all. 705 can't pick it up.
I changed the batteries and notice that there is a little corrosion on them SEE PHOTO :Batteries changed, I re-applied some grease as per Greg K's article, closed it up, and re-paired it. It seemed to be working fine on the stand.

I went away for a week on holidays and went for a 3rd ride this afternoon on it. No power. I tried to pick it up with the 705 - nothing. I pulled off the cover, gave the battery holder a jiggle and closed it. It re-paired up and calibrated. I get on to ride it, no power. Again.

Now I'm a bit lost as to what to do. Is there a chance there is a little rust or corrosive build-up on the battery terminals stopping connectivity? Are the new batteries dud? I'm keen to trouble shoot this without having to send it to Melbourne for a service.

EDIT TO ADD: I just gave the batteries another 'jiggle' and the 705 and my wifes 500 both have detected the PT. It calibrated to '10118' - I don't know what that means.

Coaching - Future Endurance
Last edited by: steve_c: Apr 28, 13 0:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Powertap pro+ hub that I bought back in 2009...sold it to a friend and just bought it back.
The lyc returns an offset value of 516 in test mode, so from what I understand the hub is in good shape.

Question: what value should my Garmin Edge 500 return as the offset value?
When I go to "calibrate" on the Edge 500 it returns a value of 27975 every time.
I rode with the hub last night and to the best of my knowledge it seems accurate (readings seem "normal" compared to the quarq that I have on my other bike).
Seems like I read somewhere that the Edge 500 may return the hub id for some of the older hubs?
I called PowerTap yesterday (twice) and couldn't get a straight answer.

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve

Here's my 2 cents and that is that l've had a PT Pro from new since 2009 and l have never had an issue with the batteries corrioding so l assume maybe moisture might be in there.So removing any rust/corrosion on the battery terminals would be the next thing to cancel out. A dropout for a couple of seconds to me is not the end of world and l have a Joule GPS with 2 week old batteries and had a couple of second drop out today training...but 10+sec is a bit of a pain.

Chadman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question: When I look at intervals individually in Power Agent, the metrics (TSS, Distance, Time etc) don't add up to those of "Entire Activity". I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but why is that?

Also, every time I look at an interval, then go back to "Entire Activity", the ride duration & distance decreases a little bit. I have to close & reopen the file to see the original data.

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, what is your experience with Cervo 7.63 firmware?
Should I request support to update or is not working well as I have read?
thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,

Any options you would recommend to try and recover the data before clearing? I have had the same issue a couple of times in the last two weeks (one was a race) and would love to retrieve some/all of the data.

Thanks,

Bernhard
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Question - Have ridden it 3-4 times using the 910, I get an ocasional dropout when it drops to 0, since the garmin is on autopause, it pauses, then starts again. On two occasions it's dropped to 0 for several minutes and no matter what I do, will not read again. It eventually does...... Or, it has gone down to reading 3 (or some random number) for a short time, then comes back on

First of all I don't think the auto-pause would be related to this particular issue since that is usually triggered by speed, unless by going to zero you're referring to speed but I'm assuming you mean power.

If you're seeing the drop outs while in the aero position primarily it could be related to the location of the 910, is it on your wrist then? These gadgets are very sensitive to antenna orientation. I'm not sure where the ANT radio is in the 910 but on the Joule and Cervo we position the radio so that it is closest to the sensors as possible. Try mounting the 910 in different spots to see if it helps.

The auto-zero should be turned to "on"

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Shg101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I currently have three PTs What kind of power reading variation wheel to wheel might I expect to see if I do not do a Garmin calibration between swaps? Do the 'current'readings reported by the Garmin calibration have any bearing on wheel to wheeel power reading differences? Thanks.

One of the core features of the PowerTap is that unit to unit variability is considered with our accuracy rating of +/- 1.5%, meaning that only is any one unit that accurate but they all are.

The relative readings on after a manual zero is performed are not super important but they should be within the range of 500 to 524 and the manual zero should be done after each swap as the values are specific to a given unit.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
n my first ride, it worked OK (I believe) with the exception of it dropping out in the latter stages of the ride on a slight downhill - it would drop out for 10-30 seconds then pick up again.

The kind of corrosion in your photo could be a result of moisture but it actually looks more like a really old set of batteries. It's possible that this caused some damage to the battery contacts as well but cleaning them off should help. The grease suggestion is actually unnecessary and could even be detrimental to performance, DO NOT use this stuff inside the unit. If you feel compelled to follow this kind of advice, use it on the o-ring seals only!!

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jesse. I changed the batteries and cleaned the terminals - no problems since. I'll heed your advice re: the grease.
Thanks mate

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [C W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've got a Powertap pro+ hub that I bought back in 2009...sold it to a friend and just bought it back.
The lyc returns an offset value of 516 in test mode, so from what I understand the hub is in good shape.

Question: what value should my Garmin Edge 500 return as the offset value?

The SL+, Pro+ and Elite+ actually return the hub ID after a manual zero request from devices other than a Cervo or Joule. This is a bug on our part.

Jesse Bartholomew

Last edited by: powertap: May 5, 13 20:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quoteQuestion: When I look at intervals individually in Power Agent, the metrics (TSS, Distance, Time etc) don't add up to those of "Entire Activity". I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but why is that? ][/quote]
Huh, this is a new one. I was able to confirm the same issue myself. Give me a few days to investigate this one, not quite sure what is going on. First thing I need to check is what kind of data is being calculated on the hardware and how that compares to the downloaded data.

Are any of the rides you're reviewing "merged" or are they a single ride?

Quote:
Also, every time I look at an interval, then go back to "Entire Activity", the ride duration & distance decreases a little bit. I have to close & reopen the file to see the original data.

I'm not able to duplicate this one, what version of PowerAgent are you on? Windows or Mac?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [manucasillas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Guys, what is your experience with Cervo 7.63 firmware?

Are you having distance issues? If not I'd stay on 7.60

Jesse Bartholomew

Last edited by: powertap: May 5, 13 20:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [mango7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Any options you would recommend to try and recover the data before clearing? I have had the same issue a couple of times in the last two weeks (one was a race) and would love to retrieve some/all of the data.
Sorry, I looked for any previous posts but couldn't fine one-- do you have a Joule 2.0 or a Joule GPS? If Joule 2.0 you might have some luck looking in the file directory via Windows Explorer. Check the activities folder and the summary folder.

If Joule GPS things are a little more cut and dried, if the device was cleared the data is gone. Did you accidentally clear via PowerAgent?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just paid for an upgrade from a faulty SL to the new G3. I want to lace it into my Zipp 808 (non FC) and have been told that it is not recommended. I currently have another SL in that wheel and have not had any trouble with it or the wheel, but want to replace it a) to sell it to cover the cost of the upgrade, and b) because the G3 is lighter and sleeker, not to mention the electronics and up-dateable firmware.

I'd like to hear from you and others on what the potential problems are with a PowerTap G3 in a Zipp 808 rim, and if I decide to go ahead with the build, what spoke lengths and lacing pattern should I use?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribern wrote:
I just paid for an upgrade from a faulty SL to the new G3. I want to lace it into my Zipp 808 (non FC) and have been told that it is not recommended. I currently have another SL in that wheel and have not had any trouble with it or the wheel, but want to replace it a) to sell it to cover the cost of the upgrade, and b) because the G3 is lighter and sleeker, not to mention the electronics and up-dateable firmware.

I'd like to hear from you and others on what the potential problems are with a PowerTap G3 in a Zipp 808 rim, and if I decide to go ahead with the build, what spoke lengths and lacing pattern should I use?

Hi not sure what the issue is you have been told about but I have an 808 FC with G3 (built by Wheelbuilder USA) and no problems. Is it something to do with being none FC?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [consultant766] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea. A search of Wheelbuilder.com and the web shows that it can be and is done. I have a 24 spoke wheel, so even concerns that I've read about the 20h hubs are not valid. A previous thread on ST also countered the objections to this but the OP in that thread didn't say whether the hub was a G3 or an older model.

If I can find out what spoke lengths are needed for each side and which lacing pattern would be best, I have a good wheel builder who will build it for me. I have to supply the spokes though, so I need to order them pre-cut.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call Wheelbuilder and get the spokes from them. If at all possible have them build it too, they really are the best with this kind of stuff. They've done lots and they're the only official PowerTap service center in the US besides us.

It can be built but the spoke angles can make some builders nervous.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jesse. I live in Singapore so getting Wheelbuilder to build it is not a practical option, but I have contacted them through their web contact form and asked what the spoke lengths and lacing pattern should be on each side of the wheel. When I know what length to have the spokes cut to I'll order from them and have the wheel rebuilt here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Joule 2.0 is showing a TSS and IF, but when the data is imported to Training Peaks and/or Golden Cheetah those numbers are way different. I know the firmware on my Joule needs to be updated, but is there another reason for the discrepancy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Call Wheelbuilder and get the spokes from them. If at all possible have them build it too, they really are the best with this kind of stuff. They've done lots and they're the only official PowerTap service center in the US besides us.

It can be built but the spoke angles can make some builders nervous.

I concur. After putting a Power Tap on my TT/Tri I became a junky and ordered a rear wheel for my roadie from Wheel Builder. First class customer service and quick response. And by far the best you'll do on price.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply

Prev Next