Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what brake are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magura RT. But I have a buddy of mine on an Omega X with the adapter.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [wthecoyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wthecoyote wrote:
Hey guys! Any updates on use/abuse of the adapters? I'm building up a new-to-me P4 and am not happy with the OEM brakes, very interested in how these are working for you all.

doublea334 send me an adapter. I'm waiting for a shipment from tririg, which has bounced from Boulder to LA to NY and now hopefully to Canada over the last two weeks :-/ Once I have the brake, I'm going to attempt to mount it.

I'm all in; I took my stock brake off and it basically disintegrated between my fingers in a pile of corrosion and dust. Don't think I can get it back together.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Kiley's finished with the 8mm carbon plate.

The first iteration with a 5mm carbon plate was OK, but IMO, not completely indestructible. Not willing to risk someone else's safety on hopes and dreams.

So, I got ahold of a thicker chunk that my dad has been hoarding for years and rebuild with a few mm more thickness everywhere and additional meat elsewhere. By utilizing the Alpha X adapter plate in just the right location, you change the way that the forces are distributed and how the deflection in the plate turns into a twisting force rather than a direct assault on the original upper bolt. I'm really happy with the design.

I also adjusted the location so that a Shimano direct mount would work with the same mount, but it's just not setup optimally for that with 25mm rims. 23mm was fine with an Ultegra direct mount. I suspect that I would have to move the NDS mounting stud about 2mm off center to make that brake work perfectly. It's certainly possible if someone wanted that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post some various pictures please
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to email them, but dont want to deal with scaling and uploading and hosting them. Have a newborn in my lap.
PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally received my tririg brakes after USPS gave them a 2-week tour of the US - Boulder, Denver, LA, Brooklyn, then Toronto.

I did some playing around yesterday night:

I used some M4 bolts I had laying around - I need to get some longer ones with bigger heads. I have no concerns for the integrity of the adapter and the way it connects to the bike, but I will report back after I have actually ridden the thing.

Disadvantage of the tririg brake is that I will have to take the crank off to adjust the brakepads, but such is life I guess.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are currently doing the same thing at my bike shop. Can't wait until I have a true back brake. I'll feel so much more confident on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
That looks awesome! Well done. Magura brakes (or tririg) on a P4 could definitely breathe new life into that frame.

Now i'm pissed that I got rid of mine. Balls.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do we order the mount and adapter with instructions? I'm handy with a bike but can't custom make parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you mounting without the upper bolt that goes into the frame? Drilling later?
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
Are you mounting without the upper bolt that goes into the frame? Drilling later?

Driling later. First want to see how everything fits together.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm done for now. I forgot to take pictures, but here is what I did since my previous post:
- longer screws.
- drilled a hole for the center bolt. Countersunk the bolt so it won't interfere with the brake.
- Dremeled the fairing. There wasn't a whole lot left over, but electrical- and duct tape do wonders.

Notes:
- I probably have to tape the fairing again. My aim is to reduce dirt- and water ingress as much or more as to decrease drag.
- I have a hard time finding socket head (I think that's what they're called) metric bolts. I used hex head ones from Home Depot which I'm afraid are going to rust out pretty quickly.
- The cable pokes out of the brake quite awkwardly. This is kinda annoying with the type of stand I have, but oh well.
- I'm going to have to wait and see if swapping wheels requires a lot of brake adjustment. If I can't find a 'one size fits all' setting the removing of the crank may become annoying.
- I wonder if I should keep the brake cover on. I'm afraid I'm going to lose it (it's only held by two magnets). I may tape it and turn that bottom bracket area into a giant tape ball.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
- I probably have to tape the fairing again. My aim is to reduce dirt- and water ingress as much or more as to decrease drag.
Silicone caulk?

Quote:

- I have a hard time finding socket head (I think that's what they're called) metric bolts. I used hex head ones from Home Depot which I'm afraid are going to rust out pretty quickly.
Are they stainless steel? The home Depot stainless bolts are high quality and you'll be fine. They zinc bolts are ok but you'll see some surface rust.

Quote:
- I'm going to have to wait and see if swapping wheels requires a lot of brake adjustment. If I can't find a 'one size fits all' setting the removing of the crank may become annoying.
Consider an inline barrel adjuster?
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:

Silicone caulk?

Probably not. I dremeled away large amounts of the center so the brake cable can pop out and into the brake. Not a biggie, even if I have to tape the thing every couple of months.

Quote:
Quote:

Are they stainless steel? The home Depot stainless bolts are high quality and you'll be fine. They zinc bolts are ok but you'll see some surface rust.

There was only one type on hand, and I *think* it's zinc, but not sure. But I'm going to take 15 minutes out of my busy day (ha!) and find some better screws. They probably have to ship from Outer Waziristan with a minimum order of 2 gross, but oh well.

Quote:
Quote:

Consider an inline barrel adjuster?
[/quote]
maybe I'm shellshocked by the old brake, but I used to have to line up the brake pads with the rim for different rims. But maybe I don't have to do that anymore.

And I forgot to mention that I have awesome braking now. So main goal achieved!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:

There was only one type on hand, and I *think* it's zinc, but not sure. But I'm going to take 15 minutes out of my busy day (ha!) and find some better screws. They probably have to ship from Outer Waziristan with a minimum order of 2 gross, but oh well.

Stainless are shiny and black are zinc. If it's a hard to find size, just get it from McMaster. They ship same day.

Edit: it occurs to me that black screws may be oxide, but anyway just order stainless from McMaster.
Last edited by: Karl.n: Apr 25, 18 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what did you use to mount tririg to adapter plate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
what did you use to mount tririg to adapter plate?

I used the hardware that came with the brake. I stacked two of the serrated washers together and used one of the provided bolts and the recessed nut (which fit the hole doublea334 put in the plate). Disadvantage is that you can't easily take the brake off without taking the adapter plate off. But that's minor.

I'm going to take it apart again one of these days and then I'll post more photos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As promised I took the whole thing apart again. I located proper stainless M5 bolts (I needed one M5x25mm, 2x M5x30mm, 2x M5 nut, and some washers, plus stuff that comes with the TriRig Omega X). I also drilled a hole lining up with the P4's center bolt hole.

Here's a photo album outlining the process:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xHAk2U0VYQJuC1Yr2

Remarks:
  • I found out that I can actually adjust the brake with the crank in place. It's finicky, but it can be done.
  • I taped up the fairing (especially the long slot accommodating the brake cable) with klassy black duct tape (the same tape you use to tape your water bottle closed with after you cut it open and put your flat kit in). This to prevent water and grit ingress.

Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Feb 8, 19 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear! Do you have any on hand, or plans to print some more?
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [wthecoyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, have a few more available that I can ship out this week.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
As promised I took the whole thing apart again. I located proper stainless M5 bolts (I needed one M5x25mm, 2x M5x30mm, 2x M5 nut, and some washers, plus stuff that comes with the TriRig Omega X). I also drilled a hole lining up with the P4's center bolt hole.

Here's a photo album outlining the process:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PndadXfoaEMbWKSJ2

Remarks:
  • I found out that I can actually adjust the brake with the crank in place. It's finicky, but it can be done.
  • I taped up the fairing (especially the long slot accommodating the brake cable) with klassy black duct tape (the same tape you use to tape your water bottle closed with after you cut it open and put your flat kit in). This to prevent water and grit ingress.
[/quoted]

I did my first ride with the tririg brakes last Wednesday night in a little club TT that we do. Everything seemed to work alright, only catch being that my Flo wheels are wider than the shit box rim I used when I installed the brakes. And I had to remove the crank to adjust the brake. But as I said before that's not that big of a deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say I am a happy camper. I finally got out on Sunday to test the new back brake and it works better than I ever imagined. I can also now run a wider wheel than with the old brake. Thank you so much for doing this. I got one picture to upload.
Quote Reply
Re: Official P4 rear brake adapter thread [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Just wanted to say I am a happy camper. I finally got out on Sunday to test the new back brake and it works better than I ever imagined. I can also now run a wider wheel than with the old brake. Thank you so much for doing this. I got one picture to upload.

Can you make a higher res picture available (email is in my profile)? Maybe I can learn something from the way you installed the TriRig.

Quote Reply

Prev Next