Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread
Quote | Reply
Registration just SOLD OUT and we need a cleaner thread for the next 413 days!

Who else will be on the start line August 30th?

Also, If you have any questions about Penticton, the race or training routes and groups in the area, just reply to my post and I'll get back to you as best I can. I would be more than happy to share anything I can to help make your lead up, race day and vacation here a success! I have 30+ years of living here in Penticton and a couple of wins on the course when it was a Challenge race. All I ask in return is this: If you see me out on the run course, make sure you yell "Get Ugly!!!"

Lastly, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who signed up or supported the race! I am pretty stoked that kids (and adults) in Penticton will continue to have the same inspiration that I had growing up here!

Game on!

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats the weather look like for race day?
do you have any idea what flavours of drink will be on the bike/run?

just kidding
i'm super excited too! seems like there's 10-15 people signed up from my tri club too so it should be pretty fun

as an aside - the Langley School District already released their 2020 calendar and the following week is a Holiday (due to the long weekend falling on that monday i guess?) so we are planning on doing the following week at Lakeside in Oliver. Just me on my butt drinking wine while the kids swim sounds like a perfect post race recovery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also is 'The Pasta Factory' any good?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea how many people they let register?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in! This will be my 12th Ironman Canada. The family and I can’t wait to go back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, getting ugly.

Question: will there be PRO men AND women fields in 2020? Or are they keeping the alternating format that has been happening in Whistler?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Psyched to be doing this race! Looking forward to seeing the course they put together for us, based on what I've read of the previous race hope they do single loop swim and bike, multi-loop run is ok by me.

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in too, and so is my husband.
It's our 6th IMC in Penticton after 2006,2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012.
We are from Germany and totally thrilled to return next year, to do the race and go on vacation afterwards.
This race has always been something special to us.
The only downside: Our favourite accomodation (a B&B in walking distance) was sold out, even before the registration opened yesterday and it seems that all places I contact at the moment, are fully booked. The Lakeside Resort had a few rooms in the new bulding available, but as we are looking for something for a week, that one is too expensive.
No luck on AirB&B and Vrbo too, so any recommendation is appreciated. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [Eisenfrau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a post on the facebook page saying the Coast Hotel was taking reservations (5 day min)
It was still a rip off, but bit cheaper than the Lakeside I think?

I think you needed to phone them to get it
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I actually went their today with a potential sponsor, partly so I could get answer for you. The food tasted great, but I did need to go get something else to eat as soon as we left.... #TriathleteProblems

Depending on how old your kids are, I usually help coach with a TriPower kids camp in Summerland the week after Ironman/Challenge. Usually around 50 kids and always a great time!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! They said they will have both a Mens and Womens Pro field and that it is a Kona 2021 qualifier.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
Awesome! They said they will have both a Mens and Womens Pro field and that it is a Kona 2021 qualifier.

Thanks! I'm glad to see both pro fields and can't wait to see the turnout
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my extended family wont be able to book any accommodations until next year (confirming plans)

Looks like Penticton places to stay will be long gone by then.

They were thinking of staying in Kelowna or Osoyoos.

How bad are road closures and parking on race day?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I remember hearing the person from the city of Penticton say 2500 was the cap at the council meeting back in May. I am not sure if that is a hard cap or just a goal.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [chrisodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The route doesn't go North so driving from Kelowna won't be affected at all. From Osoyoos maybe. With the one loop course they keep a lane open at all times. Its really only cutting across town that I remember being an issue. The old run course shut down Eastside road, but you could still take the highway with a single lane. So... Kelowna or anything North of Penticton might be better, but South should be good as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
Registration just SOLD OUT and we need a cleaner thread for the next 413 days!

Who else will be on the start line August 30th?

Also, If you have any questions about Penticton, the race or training routes and groups in the area, just reply to my post and I'll get back to you as best I can. I would be more than happy to share anything I can to help make your lead up, race day and vacation here a success! I have 30+ years of living here in Penticton and a couple of wins on the course when it was a Challenge race. All I ask in return is this: If you see me out on the run course, make sure you yell "Get Ugly!!!"

Lastly, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who signed up or supported the race! I am pretty stoked that kids (and adults) in Penticton will continue to have the same inspiration that I had growing up here!

Game on!

Hey, Jonnyo has a patent on this thread. Did you take out a license to start this thread and he's going to show up as a celebrity to talk smack and get out!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news, Jeff on the Sell Out!

I'm NOT surprised. There has been a great deal of buzz and of course the nostalgia factor.

Great video that IM has produced with Former Race Director and event Owner, Graham Fraser taking a trip down Memory Lane in Rotary Park* - https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be - This is #mustwatch stuff! I was getting kind of teary and emotional!

This is pretty special. No other IRONMAN host venue in the world to my knowledge honors their Champions in this way - with permanent recognition like this!

That Ring of Champions in Rotary Park was always my proof of how important IMC was to Penticton, and how important IMC in Penticton was to the greater world of triathlon and IRONMAN!

*BTW - Rotary Park IS the Transition Zone on race day. In the past and next year, depending on where your bike is racked, and how you move around in T1 and T2, you may walk or run right over the Plaque of a former Champion of IMC in Penticton!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are in!

Based on the promo pics, it looked like they included running on the KVR. That would be a big change but kinda cool. Any insights on the course yet?

"it's also a personal choice to remain ignorant" - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [sgttriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They said that the swim was going to be the same including a mass start. They also said that it would be a one loop course, similar to previous years though earlier in the year I had heard that the out and back was up for debate. They said that they wanted a two loop run but I could tell that at this point they are looking at all options to figure out what would be the best. The reason that the KVR has been used in the promo pictures and videos is that we did videos and photos the day before the announcement and were a bit pressed for time. That location (Munson mountain, Lower Bench Road and the KVR) was a great place to get both bike and run photos quickly that I knew from previous filming would look good and showcase the beauty of the area.

Now having said the people from Ironman did seem to like it out there and I think it would be a fun course to go up and down Vancouver hill much like the Peach Classic this weekend. Well... more fun for spectators that is. They closed Vancouver for almost an entire day once for a huge slip and slide. JonnyO is pushing hard to get them to bring the slip and slide back for race day and have it optional for competitors to take!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in as well..... very excited to do this race as it returns to Penticton! Currently getting geared up in Whistler and its a funny feeling having a target race already planned for next year. Figured I would get Whistler nailed and slowly plan for next year. Penticton pushes me over the edge to set it up now.

The energy is awesome, can’t wait to sneak over there for some training once the full routes are nailed down.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [Golfman09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that funny feeling well! I always like to be able to tell myself during the last half of the run "I gotta do this well, because I never want to do another one of these in my life!"

And then a few hours after I finish I am like "When's the next race! Sign me up!!!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!
I did ITU Long Course in Penticton back in 2017. I'd love to come back. I did not sign up as I'm still mentally scarred from training and racing my 3rd IM :) but maybe I'll get the itch for 140.6 again and sign up next year.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did IMC in Penticton for 5 years, 2004 - 2008. Gotta admit I lost that feeling for Ironmans as the race just kept getting bigger and bigger each year.

Since '08, we've been doing longer/smaller races and we've really enjoyed doing doubles, triples and quintuples. I started to get the IM itch a few years ago and decided if IMC ever went back to the Okanagan, we would go... Really happy I was able to get in and find a place to stay. Looking forward to not only the race, but the drive up to BC from Colorado.

I'm glad to hear they're keeping the swim/bike the same. Very curious to see what they do with the run. I kinda liked the out and back along Skaha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

Straight up, I mostly registered because it just felt like the pieces all fell together for it.

Grew up in Coeur d'Alene volunteering even before I had any serious goals of it. Eventually got into the sport and then they killed the full.

Made Chattanooga my first full last year, but no swim.

Still got some frustration about that swim, and I'm moving to Seattle next week.

6 hour drive from Seattle and a PacNW race that every single person seems to love? Why not, lol. I know probably less about the course than anyone else, but sometimes you just have to send it, right? Seems like people just love Penticton, so I'm super excited to get up there next year.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [chrisodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those not able to find accomodations in Penticton - Kelowna is a good option. On race morning (when there's no traffic) it'll be an easy & spectacular 45 minute drive to Penticton (have done this many times). Kelowna is about 4x the size of Penticton, so many more hotel and B&B options. And if you're flying in for the race you'll likely fly into Kelowna.
Quote Reply

Prev Next