Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've been answered many times, so no need to wonder why, just re-read the answers or use your memory. You've even been asked what sort of questions could be asked that made sense such as, are you doping? what kind of doping program are you on? how do you explain your sudden performance break-through? But you didn't bother to answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ilanias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While the comparison between 1st female swim leg and the 3rd swim leg was on 2 different length courses, the 2 male swim legs were the same. Therefore one can see how Zaferes laid the smack to all the women and many male swim legs as well. That was an inspired swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Not only did brownlee screw up with no aero bars, but he also never secured the straps on his shoes, they were massive and grabbing wind the whole time.

Edit: are true TT bikes allowed? That would have been massive for how this played out.

This is ITU draft legal racing, no TT bikes allowed.

And to whomever asked about the Norwegians, they have a few women racing now and could have put up a team. Points are irrelevant really, young ones can be racing junior series races so not building points but still have bags of talent. Look at the boys who raced in Bermuda, the winner had the ranking of a nobody.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based atleast on the rankings, they have 1 ranked female athlete. The problem with MTR's is that they spread out very very quickly if you in fact aren't good. You then are racing for 14th place by yourself the whole time vs teams that are all working together. It then kinda becomes "why are we here when we aren't competitive". There are development opportunities but I wouldn't consider that the place to put a junior athlete in that type of competitive environment just to fill out a team. Unless they have the chops to be competitive, that's a different story. But I just checked 2017 ITU World's and NOR didn't field a single female in the U-23 or Jr category. So I just don't think they would have the female athletes to field a team.

ETA: Look at Mexico....they got lapped....that's really really hard to get lapped completely in an MTR. You have to have had a flat issue, crash or just a slow relay.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jun 9, 18 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone watching WTS Leeds women?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [kalidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like the three-woman breakaway is going to get caught.... not having Zaferes to pull affected their ability to stay away I think. Lack of Duffy as well. Still, it was a gutsy swim for those 5 to get a lead into T1... surprising how poorly Summer Cook transitioned.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think Duffy would have made a difference to those three. She would have solo'ed it and those three would just be the chase group.

Was really rooting for Spivey to podium but I don't think that's in the cards now. Will probably be Zaferes, Coldwell and another person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nvm. Katie just blew up. Burnt too many matches on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kalidus wrote:
Don't think Duffy would have made a difference to those three. She would have solo'ed it and those three would just be the chase group.

Was really rooting for Spivey to podium but I don't think that's in the cards now. Will probably be Zaferes, Coldwell and another person.

Boom goes Z.

Don't underestimate the home crowd.
GBR sweeps the podium is my guess.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well here comes Zaferes again... such a weird day for her.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol. I'm done predicting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
based on her history she could win the race, but based on the day she could just as easily blow up and come 15th.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kalidus wrote:
lol. I'm done predicting

Me too.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Based atleast on the rankings, they have 1 ranked female athlete. The problem with MTR's is that they spread out very very quickly if you in fact aren't good. You then are racing for 14th place by yourself the whole time vs teams that are all working together. It then kinda becomes "why are we here when we aren't competitive". There are development opportunities but I wouldn't consider that the place to put a junior athlete in that type of competitive environment just to fill out a team. Unless they have the chops to be competitive, that's a different story. But I just checked 2017 ITU World's and NOR didn't field a single female in the U-23 or Jr category. So I just don't think they would have the female athletes to field a team.

ETA: Look at Mexico....they got lapped....that's really really hard to get lapped completely in an MTR. You have to have had a flat issue, crash or just a slow relay.

Lott Miller from Norway just finished in 14th place, she is ranked 25th in wts, skipped u/23 Rotterdam to race elites, she is no slouch. Pretty sure she has had a top 10 this year already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes but she cant do both women's spots.......

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got in from a workout and I guess I had my times mixed up, thought women went off at 1:30pm....I just looked at results....like 20 girls DNF'd......i will watch with great anticipation later tonight to see how it unfolded.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just started watching the men's. What happened to Jonathan Brownlee?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cramped/stomach issue on last lap of bike and dropped by front pack really quickly. I think he ran 1 lap on the run and then he and the coaches agreed to call it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 40 guys finished and only 31 will earn points due to 5% cutoff.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Lot of sick athletes in both men's and women's it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Lot of sick athletes in both men's and women's it seems.

Seems there was a bug going round at the relays Thursday evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Interesting fact: Japan raced 4 juniors at Nottingham, and they finished 16th, avoiding the lapped out fate of Russia and Mexico. They have a guaranteed spot in Tokyo, as host nation, and this was a great move by their head coach, Patrick Kelly. I predict you will see a lot of countries move to the MR as a focus, in order to better their development pipeline long term.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have clarified....You dont put an developing junior in a MTR if you have a few A type of athletes, because that really only means it's a wasted race for the A athletes. If you whole squad is in the same boat, then the development pathway is a good racing experience. But if your Norway and you have 1 A women and no one else, it means their 2nd female would likely "waste" any strong performance from the other athletes. At that point it's simply filling out a roster. I think that's different and that was my point, not that you shouldnt use MTR as another pathway.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I should have clarified....You dont put an developing junior in a MTR if you have a few A type of athletes, because that really only means it's a wasted race for the A athletes. If you whole squad is in the same boat, then the development pathway is a good racing experience. But if your Norway and you have 1 A women and no one else, it means their 2nd female would likely "waste" any strong performance from the other athletes. At that point it's simply filling out a roster. I think that's different and that was my point, not that you shouldnt use MTR as another pathway.

I don't disagree, but you run who you have, the best you have, no matter their age. You do your best to put your team in a position to perform to its potential. And the MR is critical for nation's securing 2 male and 2 female spots. You have to try to get that.

Let's be honest, if the order was switched, where the men led-off, this race looks a lot different. No disrespect to Hemming or McElroy, but KK and KZ are world class, and basically made the race. Eli and MM did their jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the ITU make some race events a bit different with switching the order of men and women, like MLT did a few times. Maybe even in 2024, the men lead off?

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Last edited by: JimVance: Jun 12, 18 18:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next