Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry it was 2016 between London and Rio... I do the same at my desk...

https://triathlonlive.tv/video/40626
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that Standard, Stimpson and Hall have all taken their swim up a notch since last year putting them in a better position to catch the train out of T1. Watching Jessica Learmonth ride up the road with Flora right out of T1 had to put a bad taste in their mouths.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: May 16, 18 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
It appears that Standard, Stimpson and Hall have all taken their swim up a notch since last year putting them in a better position to catch the train out of T1. Watching Jessica Learmonth ride up the road with Flora right out of T1 had to put a bad taste in their mouths.

Think you're getting Hall confused with Holland , Hall already has probably the best swim in ITU.

I think it's just a case of injuries with Stimpson, Holland and Stanford looks like at least Holland and Stanford are getting back to form at the right time at the start of another Olympic cycle.

You might be right though, in this era coming out the swim too far back and you're not standing a chance of a medal were as in the past it didn't matter so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Think you're getting Hall confused with Holland , Hall already has probably the best swim in ITU.

I think it's just a case of injuries with Stimpson, Holland and Stanford looks like at least Holland and Stanford are getting back to form at the right time at the start of another Olympic cycle.

You might be right though, in this era coming out the swim too far back and you're not standing a chance of a medal were as in the past it didn't matter so much.

You're right, I meant Holland rather than Hall, although Jessica Learmonth, Summer Cook and perhaps Flora Duffymight disagree regarding Hall being the "best" female ITU swimmer;)

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:
sciguy wrote:

You're right, I meant Holland rather than Hall, although Jessica Learmonth, Summer Cook and perhaps Flora Duffymight disagree regarding Hall being the "best" female ITU swimmer;)

I think she's faster than all that lot (including Routier) when fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

I've been wondering for a while what would happen if Duffy came out of T2 without her usual 1min + advantage with everyone else, really surprised she's now become the fastest runner as well as the fastest swimmer in ITU.

In her post race interview she said that she doesn’t get enough credit for her run. I suspect this statement probably is indicative of the kind of motivational self talk she has been using this year. “They all think I can only swim and bike hard, I am going to prove them wrong!” That kind of thing. Well it is working in a big way.

So make no mistake, that run was a serious breakthrough performance. It certainly elevated her status as favorite for Tokyo. It also probably gives her more confidence to have flexible race plans. This is the real thing that makes her dangerous in a championship race as opposed to a points series (like 2016). At that time in order to win she did need that bike lead. Now there is a great chance that even if she finds herself with Holland, Stanford, Zaferes etc, she still has a great (the best?) chance of winning.
Last edited by: Dumples: May 20, 18 13:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
Jackets wrote:

I've been wondering for a while what would happen if Duffy came out of T2 without her usual 1min + advantage with everyone else, really surprised she's now become the fastest runner as well as the fastest swimmer in ITU.

In her post race interview she said that she doesn’t get enough credit for her run. I suspect this statement probably is indicative of the kind of motivational self talk she has been using this year. “They all think I can only swim and bike hard, I am going to prove them wrong!” That kind of thing. Well it is working in a big way.

So make no mistake, that run was a serious breakthrough performance. It certainly elevated her status as favorite for Tokyo. It also probably gives her more confidence to have flexible race plans. This is the real thing that makes her dangerous in a championship race as opposed to a points series (like 2016). At that time in order to win she did need that bike lead. Now there is a great chance that even if she finds herself with Holland, Stanford, Zaferes etc, she still has a great (the best?) chance of winning.

I think she was the overwhelming favourite for Tokyo anyway even before Yokahoma, I'm still not sure Stanford and Holland are back to there absolute best or if injuries have robbed them of there best days even.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
Jackets wrote:

In fairness she never had been given the credit for her run because it was never the fastest run time. Why would ppl give credit in the past for something that wasn't happening prior to this actual race?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The MTR is only 3 days away. I think it is the most fun I have watching a triathlon.

Do we have a start list for the participants? I assume Kanute is on the relay, but he was at Alcatraz on Sunday so???

Also I read that Duffy is injured. Did I miss something?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pumped for the race. 19 teams! And I'm pretty sure every team has at least a World cup "mid pack level" of competency at every position. Should make for great racing.

I can't figure out which individuals are racing. Is it possible they will have more than 2 guys/2 girls from each country at the location? And they might switch up who races based on other countries? (Pure speculation)

Kanute is on the Leeds Start list. So he could be racing MTR??
Flora isn't on the Leeds start list. I don't know if she's hurt, but she's not racing in Leeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is Belgium on the relay start list? They look like they are sending 2 men and 2 women to Leeds, but not listed for the relay. Will be a good race regardless. GB looks like they will be a little stronger than at the commonwealth games. Australia is sending another strong contingent. I think Australia looks good for the win, but nobody is perfect in spots 1-4 like GB was a few years back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What females did they pick for GB?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question on Belgium. Valerie B. hasn't done many WTS races (2) but seems like she'd keep them competitive. I know she rides well. Which is often more important in MTR than in an individual race.

I'm wondering if Hemming, McDowell or McElroy gets the 2nd US guys spot. I assume Kanute is in for sure.

GB, USA, and Aus in a close battle for the win. France and South Africa after that.
11am Mountain time on Thursday on the triathlonlive.tv feed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GB announced some 6 person team from which they will have to pick 4, seemed weird to me, must be some kind of political thing within the federation. But AB is injured so he’s out. Just need to pick the 2 healthiest ladies to round out team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learnmoth, Stanford and Holland have all podiumed this year though I'd imagine Learnmoth would be favorite to kick things off for GB though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like GB have gone for Stanford and Holland alongside J Brownlee and Bishop.
https://www.britishtriathlon.org/...ouble-this-week_9100
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume they’ll try Pearson at some point, probably at the anchor.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a tough choice for the US selectors because with the need to earn qualifying points they don’t want to experiment too much, but there are some untested athletes out there that for all anyone knows might be perfect for the relay. I think maybe these Conti level relays might need to be used to race some people like Pearson, Knibb, Hemming, etc to see if any are somehow particularly suited to the 20 min race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
It is a tough choice for the US selectors because with the need to earn qualifying points they don’t want to experiment too much, but there are some untested athletes out there that for all anyone knows might be perfect for the relay. I think maybe these Conti level relays might need to be used to race some people like Pearson, Knibb, Hemming, etc to see if any are somehow particularly suited to the 20 min race.

Although after the first couple of races, if they are ranked high enough, they could possibly experiment a bit. Remember the top 7 countries are auto qualifiers, if comfortably sitting there I imagine the risk could be worth it.
Not every country will have their A Team every race, injuries and illness are more likely with 4 ppl in a team. Some countries are lucky their b choice athletes are also very strong.
This first race GB don't have Learmonth or Ali, due to injuries. One of the Aussie Team guys is out from a bike crash. No Routier for Spain(not starting their top guys either).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The teams are up. USA Hemming and Mcelroy in, no Kanute. Aus have Royle and Baily, no Birtwhistle, and Hauser was already out from accident.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting about both Kanute and Birtwhistle. Kanute just smashed Alcatraz and I thought I remember Birtwhistle looking pretty fast in commonwealth relay. Were the points higher for the Hamburg relay? Maybe a few countries are trying out some other faces with this round. I wound guess with Kasper and Zaferes the US could be top 5 with just about any 2 boys. Maybe that is USAT’s play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah he was very fast, and last year in Hamburg aus were not even in contention, in 5th place fair way back with 2 pairs upfront of him when he took the final leg, but he managed to get them the win.
Maybe it is a strategy, have read Aus post and they are saying that they can change up until 2 hours before the race start. Maybe he will be put in last minute. Either that or he is injured or unwell, be unusual to leave him off for any other reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
Interesting about both Kanute and Birtwhistle. Kanute just smashed Alcatraz and I thought I remember Birtwhistle looking pretty fast in commonwealth relay. Were the points higher for the Hamburg relay? Maybe a few countries are trying out some other faces with this round. I wound guess with Kasper and Zaferes the US could be top 5 with just about any 2 boys. Maybe that is USAT’s play.

hhmmmm, wouldn't the opposite strategy make more sense for USAT: put in their 2 best men, because their women's team is so deep with talent, any 2 from them will hold their own...its the men who are the weak link.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that the strategy is to find which 2 men to send to Tokyo, while still scoring enough points in these qualifying rounds to feel safe about making the Olympic start list. But that is just a guess. Maybe USAT believes that these are the 4 fastest people today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kanute just smashed Alcatraz

-------
which meant he wouldn't even be able to shake out a run/bike/swim in England until Tuesday, and that's after a full day of travel on Monday. Not really the ideal scenario when you then also are racing 3 days later.....3 hard races in 8 days would be kinda dumb in my opinion when you have other athletes there already (other US athletes arrived in Europe last week).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next