Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lifetry you can't have been watching the same race as me in 2017, they were running together, a group out of transition pretty much together, Birtwhistle very comfortably sprinted away from Mcelroy towards the end, he certainly wasn't being chased down by Mcelroy. You must be purely looking at the timing recorded which is obviously a typo issue. Mcelroy entered transition pretty much one step behind Birtwhistle but ran out just before, Birtwhistle has a recorded transition time about 8 seconds faster than anyone else on the day, but a run time slower than Mcelroy. Watch the race, neither of these things happened, the timing was obviously mucked up removing time from his transition and adding it to his run. If you start behind someone but finish before then you outran them regardless of what is recorded in numbers.
For 2018 USA obviously tested out a stronger cyclist to try to get well ahead, it just wasn't far enough on the day. You can't roast McDowell but praise mcelroy when in both races the starting point was the same and ending also the same. They just had different middles.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jul 18, 18 16:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would they need to skip the opening ceremony?

I don't see this as a problem for the athletes, as most will come from the other side of the planet, I would expect most will get there a week to 10 days before to fully adjust to the time zone change. It will also let them enjoy the second half of the Games and be less likely to pick up an infection.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
athletes competing right after the opening ceremony often don't go to it to rest and focus. in rio, it was the opposite -- the tris were towards the end of the game so the usa triathletes not only skipped the opening ceremony but didn't even arrive until halfway through the games.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually athletes dont usually get to stay around the Olympics once their events are over. It's usually why you either get to go to opening or closing ceremony, unless your sport is a duration tournament (basketball is like that where it takes the whole time to conclude your sport). So what you'll see is no triathletes will be at closing ceremony and they'll get "booted" out of athlete village by the Sunday after their race *roughly*. IE- they can stay, just on someone else's dime (either individual federation has a "house") or paying with own money to stay somewhere close by.

Being what 2 days after opening ceremony, I doubt you see any men especially at the opening ceremony and I dont expect you'll see any for the closing.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Spirig is almost assuredly approaching the race with a specific goal which has nothing to do with her overall placement. That is how her coach works. And then her coach will complain about how athletes are fairly compensated for their performance. He will fail to see the hypocrisy. I hate it when she shows up because it is always a letdown.

Rant over.

now...

Happy to be wrong about this. Spirig looked great and was clearly there to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Why would they need to skip the opening ceremony?

I don't see this as a problem for the athletes, as most will come from the other side of the planet, I would expect most will get there a week to 10 days before to fully adjust to the time zone change. It will also let them enjoy the second half of the Games and be less likely to pick up an infection.

I doubt they would be arriving in Tokyo too far out from their event actually, not with needing to train etc, Tokyo will be hectic and triathletes who are needing to complete 3 sessions a day find it hard to fit in sessions around the safe road times and shared pools etc. They likely base themselves somewhere in a not ridiculously dissimilar time zone with similar climate and good facilities, then fly in 3 or 4 days out from race day, depending on briefing etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having worked both the 2010 and 2012 Games, I don't recall the VANOC or LOCOG forcing athletes out of the village, nor many countries sending their athletes home. This may have changed, but with athletes only there for a few days before/after their events, wouldn't that starve the opening/closing ceremonies of many of the athletes?

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No because most countries have a very large supply of athletes. Ever notice why swimming/track and field are opposite of each other? Because they have MASSIVE amount of athletes in said sports and thus go opposite of each other. Athletes dont get to stay in the athlete village the entire time of the olympics unless their sport is the duration.

ETA: I should also add, athletes generally don't want to stay post Olympic event because they want to party/relax/screw off and while the athlete village is as fun "hook up" place, they also know that the athletes still there are there for their events and *generally* respectful to the ones left.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 18, 18 20:23
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going off of the data online for last year. I will take your word for it that the data is wrong.

3rd place is still good enough, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m feeling not very optimistic about UK’s chances in the relay for Tokyo. If there had been a relay in Rio, you could have mailed the Brits their medals before the opening ceremonies. There was nobody who was going to get remotely close to that team. And though I think they still have multiple contenders for a medal in the individual races, I see them as about 3-6th in the relay. Right now France and Australia look tops and then I see a cluster of UK, US, Holland fighting for a podium. Behind those are so many countries (Bel, NZL, ESP, Can) that could be competitive by the time Tokyo rolls around but still have some catching up to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
obviously a lot can happen over the next 2 years but what makes you think that holland is going to be competing for a medal? they aren't in the same zip code as france and aren't anywhere near australia, usa or the uk. those 4 teams have separated themselves from everyone else. i would think that a uk team in rio would have been the best mtr squad ever but the current squad is looking like the 4th best of the top 4.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Dutch would have been 4th or maybe 3rd if Klamer runs like she has in some other races this season. Kingma and their boys just seem to punch above their weight in the mixed relay. Whereas UK had been underwhelming in the 2 races this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
I think the Dutch would have been 4th or maybe 3rd if Klamer runs like she has in some other races this season. Kingma and their boys just seem to punch above their weight in the mixed relay. Whereas UK had been underwhelming in the 2 races this year.

She ran well for her, she isn't a Katie or Kirsten level runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the same press release as they confirmed the dates for the Tris in the olympics, the ITU confirmed that it would be an olympic distance race for the individual races in Tokyo. Which is also probably part of the reason for a slightly longer layoff between the individual races and the MTR. It'll be an interesting dynamic too in terms of team composition, because the MTR athletes also having to race the individual races (well counting against the slot quota at the very least) over the oly distance, teams gunning for any type of success in the individual races, may not be able to field their strongest MTR athletes... On the same token, some countries my sacrifice any chances for a surprise in the individual race, and fill their team with athletes specifically aiming for MTR success... In many countries this doesn't matter, because it won't actually change the composition of their teams... but some of the deeper countries such as GB, US (especially on the women's side) and AUS could have very different looking teams, depending on which way they are leaning (or if they land 3 slots, send one person geared for the oly distance, and then use the other two selections with the MTR in mind, but for the countries with only two spots...)...

And as someone who was there watching on course in Hamburg (I was also standing right across from the aussie coach, with his whiteboard giving their athletes time gaps), you could see it from the start of his leg that Birtwhistle was out for blood, and was on one of those days, that it didn't really matter what McDowell did, he was likely to get run down...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
I’m feeling not very optimistic about UK’s chances in the relay for Tokyo. If there had been a relay in Rio, you could have mailed the Brits their medals before the opening ceremonies. There was nobody who was going to get remotely close to that team. And though I think they still have multiple contenders for a medal in the individual races, I see them as about 3-6th in the relay. Right now France and Australia look tops and then I see a cluster of UK, US, Holland fighting for a podium. Behind those are so many countries (Bel, NZL, ESP, Can) that could be competitive by the time Tokyo rolls around but still have some catching up to do.

So Ali has made his mind up he's not racing Tokyo then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well with Flora out out due to injury (check recent instagram post) she's completely out of the race for a WTS podium this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I have no clue what AB’s plans are but I don’t see him or any of the other 3 top Brits having the speed to challenge for gold in the relay. The individual race totally different story. If AB announced tomorrow that he was racing I think he’d be the instant favorite. Likewise if any of their ladies come in healthy on good form any color medal is a possibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
Oh I have no clue what AB’s plans are but I don’t see him or any of the other 3 top Brits having the speed to challenge for gold in the relay. The individual race totally different story. If AB announced tomorrow that he was racing I think he’d be the instant favorite. Likewise if any of their ladies come in healthy on good form any color medal is a possibility.

Both Brownlee's and the best two women from Holland, Stimpson, Jenkins, Stanford, Learnmoth, Taylor Brown or Coldwell?

I'd say would go in as favourites I know pretty much everyone on that list have had massive injury/fitness issues since Rio, but you can't write them off based on that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:

AB could have done no speed work for the past year, roll of bed and still have more speed than all but a handful of athletes. if the UK wants to medal, it's going to need AB on the relay, have biship improve or find some new talent because france, australia and the usa all are significantly faster right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Duffy shutting it down the WTS is really open. Zaferes has a nice 800 point lead and can still score 1 more race plus the final, so she has to be the favorite at this point. But there are women who could move their points total way up with good results at the Canadian races. Holland and Klamer for example both have a low score they could replace with 2 good races. Even Hewitt, Learmoth, Stanford, or GTB are within striking distance (with a little help.) Gentle on the other hand looks to be out of contention with only 2 scores to this point.

In other news I see Jolanda Annen’s name on the Montreal list. Where has she been? If she is on form that could elevate the Swiss into possible bronze relay territory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Swiss men would need to improve a bit to put them up in medal contention, Briffod is young and has more chance of improving than a 29 yr old Salvisberg he will be 31 by Tokyo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am ready for another great race.
This time Edmonton.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Into T2 and the coverage goes out...

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShawnF wrote:
Into T2 and the coverage goes out...

Yes, it has been out two time during the race.

Very few spectators at this race. Kind of sad after Hamburg and Leeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I am ready for some Viking Power from Blummenfelt and Stornes.
Hopefully they can stay competitive after the swim without using too much on the bike.

But is can be Mola show again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next