Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Included is picture with my embarrasing time from race. Ignore time
I am 5’5”, 5’6” on a good day
I am 51 yrs old, so aging and loosing flexibility.
I race mostly ironman, occasionally a half and more infrequnetly an olympic.
Will the speed riser from the p5x transfer to the p5
Looking at the chart i was worried about mynoriginal fit number with the stack being at the limit of the 48. You said the numbers were unorthodox so i included the fit report as well.
I still can tell lbs to return 51 and get 48 p5. The p5x was a small.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [GZMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [GZMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not seeing the pic

also, no flexibility needed for a proper triathlon fit! Just the right saddle at the right setback and tilted at the right angle :)

Not sure about the P5x mono-riser... speaking of which, why are you switching from from the P5x? That's a good bike for an IM focused athlete. FWIW, the small P5x seems like the perfect fit for you at 600/420.

But yes, if you go w/ a P5d, 48cm would probably be best for you, pending my review of your fit pic which I don't see a link to yet.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, you got me, nice pic.

Yeah so that's a pretty good position, as far as bike sizing goes, and I don't think any future changes would make you too long for a 48cm P5d, so go ahead and switch.

Eric

GZMAN wrote:

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got home and remeasured my bike using a spirit level and tape and the measurements for the pictured bike are arm stack is 590 and bb to back of arm pad reach is actually 460 not 420, sorry, does that make sense. Seat is at 700. This is very comfortable for me. Over the last year I was gradually advancing the pads. ‘Apologize for the misinformation, I not sure how my retul fit was so different. Appreciate your input, thx; i think this puts me more in the 51 range with some range to move back if i want on the reach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re right, with those numbers you’re a 51cm P5d

GZMAN wrote:
Got home and remeasured my bike using a spirit level and tape and the measurements for the pictured bike are arm stack is 590 and bb to back of arm pad reach is actually 460 not 420, sorry, does that make sense. Seat is at 700. This is very comfortable for me. Over the last year I was gradually advancing the pads. ‘Apologize for the misinformation, I not sure how my retul fit was so different. Appreciate your input, thx; i think this puts me more in the 51 range with some range to move back if i want on the reach.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric. Looking at sizing a P5d and not sure whether to go 56 or 58. Currently on a p5x Large.

Rough estimate of stack and reach 500 and 585 (I think I did this right...)

6'2 and 32 inseam

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another P5x to P5d convert!

With a Pad Stack of 585 and a Pad Reach of 500 you are off the charts too low for a P5x size L. Lowest stack on a P5x for size L at your reach is 593mm with no tilt.

Can you recheck your numbers?

Eric

PB252 wrote:
Hi Eric. Looking at sizing a P5d and not sure whether to go 56 or 58. Currently on a p5x Large.

6'2 and 32 inseam

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, with a Pad Stack of 595 and a Pad Reach of 450 to back of pad, you are currently slammed on a size Large P5x and to the rear of the pad range, ie. in the lower left quadrant of the bike's range. You could have just as easily gone with a size Medium P5x, and incidentally you just barely fit on a size Small P5x (!!!) with those fit coordinates.

For the P5d, you're in between a 51cm and a 54cm believe it or not, not the 56cm or 58cm that you were thinking. To be a 56cm, you'd need to be 10mm longer than you are now and if so then you'd be slammed on a 56cm with the pads all the way back. 58cm is just right out.

What's the future of your position? How will it evolve? Can you post a pic? I think this will determine which size you go with, whether 51cm or 54cm. With a 51cm, you'd only be able to get 15mm longer, with a 54cm you'd be able to get much longer than that but only 20mm lower. As you probably know I lean towards longer being better than lower.

So sight unseen, with my fit philosophy and also my for better or worse assumptions about triathletes' positions in general, I'd probably lean towards the 54cm. A pic would be a huge help though.

Make sense?

Eric

PB252 wrote:

6'2 and 32 inseam

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric. Makes sense. I forwarded you a picture. Appreciate your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi
Looking for sizing guidance on a P-Series di2 disc or P5
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Ltcb2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Eric,

Since you missed my last post in regards to myself, hopefully you catch this one and can help my wife. She finished her fit Yesterday, and were now going through the options. She was previously on a 51cm C'Dale slice with 165mm crankset and was feeling crammed. The bike just looked small on her. The last 2 years although still very flexible, she has pretty consistent issues with tight Hip Flexors and Hamstrings. A new P Series is on the last for potentials.

She's 5'5.5"
Saddle Heigh 722
Reach to Back of Armpad 406
Stack to top of Armpad 619

We"d like to try to keep the number of spacers underneath the stem and pedestals under pads to a minimum. We're trying to get her to as perfect of fit as possible from the start. Not "trying" to just make something work. Give her every chance for success! Your thoughts?

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Ltcb2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi there,

do you have any numbers?

thanks,
Eric

Ltcb2 wrote:
Hi
Looking for sizing guidance on a P-Series di2 disc or P5
Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [mpkellyjunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpkellyjunior wrote:
Hello Eric,

Since you missed my last post in regards to myself, hopefully you catch this one and can help my wife. She finished her fit Yesterday, and we're now going through the options. She was previously on a 51cm C'Dale slice with 165mm crankset and was feeling crammed. The bike just looked small on her. The last 2 years although still very flexible, she has pretty consistent issues with tight Hip Flexors and Hamstrings. A new P Series is on the last for potentials.

She's 5'5.5"
Saddle Heigh 722
Reach to Back of Armpad 406
Stack to top of Armpad 619

We"d like to try to keep the number of spacers underneath the stem and pedestals under pads to a minimum. We're trying to get her to as perfect of fit as possible from the start. Not "trying" to just make something work. Give her every chance for success! Your thoughts?

Thanks!!

I'm with you... I like a slammed stem with zero un-aero spacers on a bike, and use that philosophy to choose frame size.

With a Pad Stack of 619 and a Pad Reach of 406 your wife would be a 51cm P-Series bike with the 90mm -6 stem slammed, the Zipp Vuka bar system with a 10mm aero spacer and the pad holders in the rearward position and the pads in the middle setting. That gets you to 617/407.

Now, if these numbers you just gave me are your wife's "cramped" position, then things change a little, but the bike size might still stay the same. You have an additional 75mm of forward reach to play with on the Zipp Vuka system. There is similar adjustability with the Vision system on the higher trim bike.

What are your thoughts on her fit numbers... pretty good or needs work? Sight unseen, I'm guessing she could *rotate* a bit, coming slightly lower and more forward. A slammed 51cm P-Series might fit the bill.

Finally, 155mm cranks. Gotta do it. Mandatory. Or 160mm or 150mm... just experiment on the fit bike if you can. "Rotating" her and shorter cranks will open up the hip angle and a proper saddle height should fix hamstring issues.

Make sense?

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric,

Thanks so much! Totally makes sense. And thank you for you fit philosophy!! I definitely appreciate it! The numbers I gave you are good and from a reputable fitter done dynamically. Not her Old Slice. So the P Series goes to the top of the list!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops - sorry thought they attached. I’ll type them out.
Arm pad stack 692mm
Reach (bb to bank of pad) 414mm
Seat height 774mm
Arm pad reach tip of saddle to back of arm pad 475mm
Saddle set back -62mm

Thanks so much - 5’9 52 female
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your numbers are rather high and "slack" or rearward... upper left of the quadrant for whatever bike you get on. You're almost off the charts high or back, depending on the size.

For example, on a 56cm P-Series bike, you'd hit a stack of 691 and a reach of 409 with the stem slammed, the pads as far back as they will go and the aero risers maxed out on the Zipp Vuka aero bar system.

I could easily see you going forward one notch (+25mm) on the pads and one spacer down (-25mm), which would put you at 666 stack and 434 reach, again on a 56cm P-Series.

How solid is your fit?

Eric

Ltcb2 wrote:
Oops - sorry thought they attached. I’ll type them out.
Arm pad stack 692mm
Reach (bb to back of pad) 414mm
Seat height 774mm
Arm pad reach tip of saddle to back of arm pad 475mm
Saddle set back -62mm

Thanks so much - 5’9 52 female

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well - the numbers are off a Retul fit from 2 weeks ago. Fitter said 54.
Went to buy a bike My LBS looked at the fit sheet, shook his head did a fit and said 51 and I didn’t grab the numbers. As I was baffled after our conversation. I’ve historically ridden a P3 54 without a real fit and felt I was “reaching a bit” on the front end.
I was hoping you’d settle the 51/54 debate. Looks like that isn’t possible given the information I currently have.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek Speed Concept size L with a Sella SMP T4 saddle. I am considering switching to the new PX, but I am I doubt about the “setback”. The tip of the SMP saddle is 4 cm in front of the BB – is it possible to get the same “setback” on the PX size L?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hold on, let’s not panic. It’s totally possible to solve this with what we know. The difference between my 56 and your fitter’s 54 is fit philosophy. The difference between our recommendations and your bike shop 51 is just ludicrous and you should avoid that person.

My philosophy is that a properly fitting tri bike should have no spacers under the stem. If you need spacers under your stem you need a size bigger bike. So, when I went to the charts I selected the smallest bike that would get you the reach you need and the stack you need, which was a 56 (this is also the largest bike that still gives you the reach you need).

If you actually came to my fit studio, I’d coach you into a somewhat lower and longer position and the you might be a 54 after that process. As it is, you’re in between sizes, and I don’t see how your fitter is going to get you on a 54 without a bunch of spacers.

I try not to give fit advice on this thread because it’s outside the scope of the thread and also I’m giving away advice for free but there are some easy tricks to address the reaching feeling. Also, your fit numbers indicate a somewhat unorthodox triathlon position and that there’s some low hanging power and speed fruit to be had.

As an aside, PM me and let me know where you are located.

Anyway, make sense about the 54 vs. 56? I still stand by the 56 recommendation but I can walk you through what you’ll need to make a 54 work.

Eric

Edit: I'm back in the office and ran the numbers... I can get you to 673 pad stack and 421 pad reach with a 54cm P-Series. Slammed stem, overmount w/ 50mm spacer (IOW maxed out), pad holder in the rearward configuration and pads in the center holes. You'd have room to come back some more toward your current reach numbers if you feel too stretched out and and room to grow with an additional 75mm reach should you ever come visit me for a fit ;)

Ltcb2 wrote:
Well - the numbers are off a Retul fit from 2 weeks ago. Fitter said 54.
Went to buy a bike My LBS looked at the fit sheet, shook his head did a fit and said 51 and I didn’t grab the numbers. As I was baffled after our conversation. I’ve historically ridden a P3 54 without a real fit and felt I was “reaching a bit” on the front end.
I was hoping you’d settle the 51/54 debate. Looks like that isn’t possible given the information I currently have.
In Reply To:

Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 14, 19 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [RFDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFDK wrote:
I have a Trek Speed Concept size L with a Sella SMP T4 saddle. I am considering switching to the new PX, but I am I doubt about the “setback”. The tip of the SMP saddle is 4 cm in front of the BB – is it possible to get the same “setback” on the PX size L?

Like I was saying to the poster above about free fit advice outside the scope of this thread....

But could I encourage you to select a snub nosed saddle that works for you? It will make your riding and triathlon experience much more enjoyable, not to mention more power/comfort/aerodynamic.

That said, to your original question, in need to do some homework. Let me check.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the information. You have gone above and beyond a free post on a blog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't get me wrong, it's just that I shouldn't be imposing my fit philosophy on everyone, but I wanted you to know where I'm coming from when I make recommendations!

Ltcb2 wrote:
Thank you for all the information. You have gone above and beyond a free post on a blog.

Quote Reply

Prev Next