Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response.
I wanted to try non Canyon brand stem because it is much cheaper.I found Profile Design 60mm 17 degrees stem with very good price.Is this a very short stem?As for the saddle, we unfortunately do not have such stores where you can measure seats. Only purchase.I took an old ISM Road saddle from a friend and it seems to be better suited.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Hensem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hensem,

Yes, that's a shorter stem and I'm glad you found an inexpensive one. The cheapest thing you could do is get on the trainer, set up a camera at profile and take several photographs of you on the bike in aero. Post 'em up here and let's have a look at what's going on to make you slide forward.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea.I'll do photos and movie today in the evening and upload here.Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Hensem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I need a second opinion. I'd like to go for a Speedmax SLX but the TT version (this is for TT'ing, not Tri). My current fit is heavily wind tunnel and velodrome aero optimised so the fit isn't intended to change. My numbers are:

Pad X 505mm (to centre of armrest): (note: my elbows sit directly on my pads, not my forearms)
Pad Y: 627mm
Height: 190.5cm (6ft 3)

Going by their website the large isn't giving me much margin to drop the front end if I wanted so I'm assuming I'm a medium frame - even at my height.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
I need a second opinion. I'd like to go for a Speedmax SLX but the TT version (this is for TT'ing, not Tri). My current fit is heavily wind tunnel and velodrome aero optimised so the fit isn't intended to change. My numbers are:
Pad X 505mm (to centre of armrest): (note: my elbows sit directly on my pads, not my forearms)
Pad Y: 627mm
Height: 190.5cm (6ft 3)
Going by their website the large isn't giving me much margin to drop the front end if I wanted so I'm assuming I'm a medium frame - even at my height.
Thanks.

UK Gearmuncher,
The Canyon Speedmax SLX (the super bike) is UCI legal when the front hydration system and the bento box are removed so that's pretty straight forward. I'm assuming you already know that I'm just putting it down for the others who follow this thread.

Your bike is the Medium with a short stem (that's the one that comes stock), 30mm of arm pad pedestal and pads dead center in the mounting holes. The result is a Pad Y of 625, it moves in 5mm increments.

In another communication you mentioned using the "dropped base bar". This bike (the 2019/2020 SLX) has only two base bars: the flat (comes stock) and the other is the rise bar. The previous SLX, the 2018 and earlier, had 3 bars: rise, flat, drop.

I know that at 190.5cm (6'3") tall one might expect to be on a large but while your Pad X is achievable on that bike, the lowest the Pad Y will get on the Large is 630.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

1) In another communication you mentioned using the "dropped base bar". This bike (the 2019/2020 SLX) has only two base bars: the flat (comes stock) and the other is the rise bar. The previous SLX, the 2018 and earlier, had 3 bars: rise, flat, drop.

2) I know that at 190.5cm (6'3") tall one might expect to be on a large but while your Pad X is achievable on that bike, the lowest the Pad Y will get on the Large is 630.

Ian

Thanks for looking at this Ian.

1) Yep. I'm actually after the basebar that is shown on the 2020 TT version (which appears to have a dropped basebar here: https://www.canyon.com/..._rahmenfarbe=BK%2FBU ). Do you know if Canyon would allow me to access that dropped bar but buy it for the Tri version (purely as the bike itself is cheaper for that one). I actually only really need the frame but they don't sell those seperately. I have no intention of using the hydration and storage bolt-ons as this is for UCI TT'ing.

2) That's what I saw too. Thanks for confirming this. They obviously increased the stack on this bike over their previous designs.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Jan 27, 20 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yep. I'm actually after the basebar that is shown on the 2020 TT version (which appears to have a dropped basebar here: https://www.canyon.com/..._rahmenfarbe=BK%2FBU ). Do you know if Canyon would allow me to access that dropped bar but buy it for the Tri version (purely as the bike itself is cheaper for that one). I actually only really need the frame but they don't sell those seperately.

I'm 99% sure that there's only a flat and rise bar made by Canyon for this bike that you're interested in. Now....I'm seeing stems in the Tour Down Under on road bikes that are 131mm long, 144mm long, 170mm long so...yeah, custom stuff does exist on pro level bikes.

BUT... that link you sent, I think those bars appears to be drop only becasue the camera is above the bar at tiny bit and looking down on it. If you put "Movistar cycling team TT" or "Katusha cycling team TT" into a search engine and click on images you'll see lots of Speedmax TT bikes with drop bars BUT 2 aerobar pedestals - that's the older model bike. The new Speedmax has just one single aerobar pedestal.

Let me know if you think that's correct.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

BUT... that link you sent, I think those bars appears to be drop only becasue the camera is above the bar at tiny bit and looking down on it. If you put "Movistar cycling team TT" or "Katusha cycling team TT" into a search engine and click on images you'll see lots of Speedmax TT bikes with drop bars BUT 2 aerobar pedestals - that's the older model bike. The new Speedmax has just one single aerobar pedestal.

Let me know if you think that's correct.

Ian

I just took a closer look. The standard SLX comes with the HB0048 'flat' basebar. The TT version is listed as coming with the H33 'drop' CF basebar. They're different.

I guess it makes sense to be different as the UCI bike has two of the wider pedastals like last years model but the new tri version has the new narrower design to allow the bottle to slot round it. I haven't looked at the tri version up close but I'm assuming it's not designed to be raced without the bottle being in place ? (which I'd need to do).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there you go!

The important note is this.. if the slope of that TT bar does effect the height of the arm pad (and it would only do so slightly if it does) then you still have lots of room up and down to adjust to find your perfect position.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Well there you go!

The important note is this.. if the slope of that TT bar does effect the height of the arm pad (and it would only do so slightly if it does) then you still have lots of room up and down to adjust to find your perfect position.

Ian

That's great. Thanks for your assistance Ian !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm considering the CF 8.
Pad stack 628
Pad reach 441
Height 175
Inseam 81

I appreciate the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mcwop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
I'm considering the CF 8.
Pad stack 628
Pad reach 441
Height 175
Inseam 81
I appreciate the help.

mcwop,
The Pad X you gave me (441).... I'm betting that's to the rear of your pad. Canyon uses numbers to the center of pad so I'm gonna adjust that to 491. Let me know if I've made a poor assumption there.

You could fit on either a Medium or a Large. I'll lay it out for you and you can decide: The Speedmax CF size Large with the 90mm stem that comes stock. Leave the spacer that comes under the stem because it positions the top of the stem flush with the top of the bento box and that looks best - then you won't need any aerobar pedestal. To get the cockpit where you like it you'll want to pull the pads almost all the way back - probably just 1 hole forward of the most rearward position. So there's the rub - the pads are nearly at their limit to meet you at 491. BUT if you ever needed to go shorter you could simply acquire an 80mm stem from Canyon.

If you did the medium the opposite is true. You're nearly that the limit of the Medium in terms of how long the bike will go (max is 492). The solve would be to remove the 80mm stock stem that comes on the Medium and acquire a 90mm from Canyon that would buy you more length if you needed it.

The Pad Y is nicely near the middle on both bikes so that's not a concern.

Ian

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the quick response Ian. The Pad X is to center of pad. I did a Retul fit and it measured 391 from BB to back of pad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
So glad that I find this thread.
I'm a newcomer in endurance sports. Gunning for my first iron man this year. As such, I intend to purchase a Tri bike, and decided to go for Canyon Speedmax 8.0 Di 2.

Now my concern starts. Few peeps kept telling me that I should be aware of my sizing, pad stack etc. Which I don't understand at all.
My height is 184 cm
My inseam is 82/83 cm.
Based on Canyon websites recommendation, I been asked to get size M.

Looking at your thread, there's so much info but I don't know my pad stack etc.

Tried to look for bike fitter in my city, they need me to have a tri bike for fitting. It's like chicken and egg situation.

I'm hoping you could guide me to what I need to do n finalise my purchase.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Teddokun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the fitters are saying you need a bike before the fitting then they are not good fitters.

Have you checked the ST approved list of fitters?

https://www.slowtwitch.com/fitters/
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flight<bird

Thank you for the note.
Forgotten to say that I'm currently posted in Indonesia. There are no recommended fitter here based on the list.

I may need to go Singapore for fitting, but may not be in near term.

Is there any other way to make sure rather than going to the recommended fitter?

Rgrds
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Teddokun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ian posted this somewhere a long the line

When an athlete has a desire to buy a Canyon Speedmax here are the prioritized ways that can and should happen:

1. BEST APPROACH....Go to a bike fitter who is educated, experienced, and owns a dynamic fit bike (a bike that can be adjusted up/down while the customer is riding). The fitter you select must have all three of those criteria checked off - all three. The process might cost as little as $199 or as much as $399 and it's absolutely worth it and here's why: you will leave with the Pad Y/Pad X, the size of the Canyon Speedmax that's right for you AND the front end configuration for the right size AND all the fit coordinates that will be needed once the bike is purchased (seat height, set back, cockpit distance, handlebar elevation, etc. etc). I can help by recommending fitters in your area.
  2. SECOND BEST APPROACH...(this doesn't apply to you) pull out your existing tri bike, the one you're abandoning. If you very much like the position measure the Pad Y and Pad X of that bike. It's easy to get pretty darn close at home with just the most basic of devices (tape measure)
  3. OTHER GOOD APPROACHES....Give me your saddle height (assuming it's known and right) and your overall height and let me put it into an equation that's pretty darn good at proscribing Pad Y & Pad X - OR - Go through Canyon's PPS and let it prescribe your bike size.

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks flight<bird.

I can't do 2 as I don't have tri bike.

1 - > I have to travel to Singapore for reliable fitter. Bit worrying with the current epidemic. I have spoken to 2 fitters locally and I have to say I'm not convinced.

I was hoping there's other way than relying on canyon online recommendation.......

Thanks again. The list is very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you outline your height and inseam measurements he may be able to estimate the fit coordinates from those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

My height is 184 cm
My inseam is 82/83 cm

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
So glad that I find this thread.
I'm a newcomer in endurance sports. Gunning for my first iron man this year. As such, I intend to purchase a Tri bike, and decided to go for Canyon Speedmax 8.0 Di 2.

Teddokun,
You're gonna be great. Let's go together step by step through this process. In what city do you live? If I have a good fitter there then we'll connect the two of you and get the process started in a comprehensive manner - what I mean by that is that you'll have a fit done BEFORE buying the bike and from that process you'll know what size bike to buy, what bits you'll need on the front end (stem length, spacer height, arm pad position, etc). Also, your fit will be done, you'll know all your coordinates: seat height, set back, cockpit length, armpad elevation, etc. etc. It's the best way to go but not the only way to go.

So, what city....and....just in case I don't have a fitter there I can math it out pretty close based on what you've given me.

LMK, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Thank you. I'm now based in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Anything within Indonesia, I will be able to travel easily.

Singapore is close by, it with all the madness of the corona epidemic, I won't be able to travel easily.

Thank you once again.

Regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, would love to get your advice on this.

I previously had a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 (2018) size Medium, crank length 175 mm (my road bike has 172.5 mm). Unfortunately, that ended up a bad way after a collision with a car. Worth saying the bike always felt a little large, but that may have been down to the fit.

I'm now looking to buy a new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 CF, size calculator on Canyon leaves me in-between a small and medium - height 178 cm, inseam 82-83 cm (82 suggests small, 83 medium). Trying to work out whether to go Small or Medium this time round?

I've got the following numbers from a fit on my previous Speedmax, I believe these include +20mm aerobar spacers. I did make some minor adjustments post-fit (mainly reducing angle of aerobars).

Height - 178 cm
Inseam - 82-83 cm

Reach - 426 mm
Stack - 535 mm
Bottom bracket to saddle BRP - 752 mm
Height of saddle BRP over elbow rest - 75 mm
Height of saddle BRP over bars - -29 mm
Saddle BRP to bottom bracket setback - 141 mm
Saddle to bottom bracket setback - 64 mm
Maximum pedal to saddle BRP distance - 927 mm
Saddle BRP to elbow rest direct distance - 616 mm
Saddle tip to elbow rest direct distance - 538 mm
Extension length - 236 mm
Saddle tilt - -4 deg

Any guidance appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [iankibble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, would love to get your advice on this.

I'm now looking to buy a new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 CF, size calculator on Canyon leaves me in-between a small and medium - height 178 cm, inseam 82-83 cm (82 suggests small, 83 medium). Trying to work out whether to go Small or Medium this time round?

I've got the following numbers from a fit on my previous Speedmax, I believe these include +20mm aerobar spacers. I did make some minor adjustments post-fit (mainly reducing angle of aerobars).

Height - 178 cm
Inseam - 82-83 cm

Reach - 426 mm
Stack - 535 mm
Bottom bracket to saddle BRP - 752 mm
Height of saddle BRP over elbow rest - 75 mm
Height of saddle BRP over bars - -29 mm
Saddle BRP to bottom bracket setback - 141 mm
Saddle to bottom bracket setback - 64 mm
Maximum pedal to saddle BRP distance - 927 mm
Saddle BRP to elbow rest direct distance - 616 mm
Saddle tip to elbow rest direct distance - 538 mm
Extension length - 236 mm
Saddle tilt - -4 deg

Any guidance appreciated!

iankibble,

What does BRP mean? What saddle was used when these numbers were taken?

Are you telling me that with all those numbers and all that measuring you don't know the Pad Y and Pad X of the old position? If that's the case it's okay. But if a fit was done and the position was good I want to know that number from that process as it should be better than my hypotheses. But here goes with that anyway....I'm guessing that your seat height is ~752 (Max pedal to saddle 827-175 crank length). Pad Y is roughly 625 and your Pad X is roughly 480. Both the Small and Medium will meet your Pad Y but my concern is that the small is too short for you (max Pad X on the small is 472 with the 80mm stem that comes stock). Medium is the right bike for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian, fit was on a Fizik Mistica.

BRP (Biomechanical Reference Point) is the point that identifies the anatomical center of the saddle (mid-line reference).
Image here of the measurements and diagram if that helps > https://ibb.co/8cLrfPj
Last edited by: iankibble: Feb 6, 20 7:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next