Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [dureau6979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hi Ian,

I’m looking at the Canyon Speedmax CFR Disc and would like to check the sizing.
My current bike is a Cervelo P3 with the following measurements –

Pad X 430mm
Pad Y 655mm
Saddle height 730mm

My body measurements are-
Height 178cm
Inside seem 85cm

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
will not give you access to the Canyon OEM behind-the-seat-post water bottle mount. If you go with medium you can still do bottles behind the seat (some other item that mounts on the saddle rails - of which there are many) as one of the bottle bosses will be buried in the fame.

Ian

Ian, thanks for all you do but this one hit a nerve :). [ rant ] Those mounting bosses are only useful if you can actually get the mount. It seems to be available everywhere except in the US where its availability is after my first race. I'm trying to get one of my friends north of the border to smuggle it to me but this seems like something Canyon should be able to do for me.[/rant] At least I was lucky enough to get the bike.
Last edited by: Lehrn2Lose: Feb 16, 22 3:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian! Please help with canyon speedmax cf8 (2018) size selection. Is size S or M good? Height: 178 cm Inseam: 82 cm I currently have a Trek Emonda. Size 54. (2016) Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Currently looking at the Speedmax CF 7 Disc and wondering on size recommendation plus potential fit options

Here are my details:

Height: 183 cm
Inseam: 90 cm

Seat Height: 785mm
Pad Y: 650mm
Pad X: 510mm

Thanks for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian -

Wondering if you're still able to help with a Speedmax fit, or if this thread is long expired for help. I've been riding an entry level road bike that I came with a complimentary fit in the store, so I am not as familiar with all of the measurements you'd need - if you could link me to a thread that may help me obtain these, that would also be of great help.

I am 187 cm tall and have an inseam of 82 cm.

Thanks so much!
Last edited by: rookiefro: Feb 22, 22 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mike3623] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,
Need you expert advise; I am a rim brake guy, so looking for a older model rim brake Canyon Speedmax, either the CF SL (in size XS) or CF SLX (in size S) - which will fit me better?

Long body, short legs :(
Height - 169cm
inseam about 76cm
Seat height - 700mm
Pad Y - 433mm
Pad X - 638mm

Not sure I got the pad-X, pad-Y numbers correct, I have uploaded a bike fit profile I did back in 2020.
Thanks in advance!

Mike,
You've had a fit done and I'm assuming you're confident in your numbers (reversed BTW) Pad Y is 638 and Pad X is 433 (I would have guessed a bit longer and lower at 591/450ish).

If you get a Speedmax CF rim brake... an XS wont do it (max Y is 620 and max X is 410). The small will work for your Pad X of 638 but even that bike, with stock 80mm stem maxes out with a Pad X of 427. Keep in mind I'm measuring to the rear of the pad on all these numbers). You could do the the small but swap out the 80mm stock stem to a 90mm... or get a medium

If you get a Speedmax SLX rim brake... the small won't do it (max Y is 620 and that's with everything thrown under the front end). You'd need a medium with either 40 or 45mm of arm pad pedistal (40= Pad Y of 635, 45= Pad Y of 640). Pad X is fine, ~a bit back of mid pad mount.

This rim brake SLX was/is a very long and low bike. I'd expet you - with long torsoe and short legs - to be perfect for this bike with a Pad Y closer to 590 and a Pad X closer to 450 (PS, that's a sweet spot for the size small). I wonder if there was a factor in your fit that left you a bit higher and shorter than expected: poor saddle choice that left you back on the saddle for comfort... or long cranks that left you up and back due to hip impingement... or fitter didn't ask you to ride hard (FTP) for 7-10min and move you out and down. But, again, I'm speculating from my keyboard while you were there, live, on a dynamic fit bike (inshallah).

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [@racetowyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Like many, I'm patiently awaiting a Canyon Speedmax CF (Disc) or CFR (Disc) to become available. I currently ride a large Trek Speed Concept. The fitter on the Canyon site (height/inseam says I'm a medium). I'd appreciate some fitting advice to ensure I get the correct frame. I've had bike fitting done but with the fitter have been tweaking the front end (raising), shorter cranks, saddle up and fwd to open up my hip angle to reduce back pain over an Ironman bike. I can't be sure that this will be my locked in position and minor changes may still occur (incremental rise in front perhaps). It's hard to test without replicating an Ironman bike leg.

Height: 184cm
Inseam: 81.28cm
Crank length: 165cm (although I see this is not a stock option with the new bikes)
Seat height: 75cm
Pad stack (back of pad): 68cm
Pad reach (back of pad): 40cm
I may need a little bit of room to move with the Pad stack.
What are your frame, stem and spacer recommendations?

David,
At a hair over 6 feet tall and a 32 inseam your morphology is really normal. Your Pad Y is in range (a hair higher than anticipanted but fine) and speaks to that normal-ness, but Pad X of 400 - I would have expected 570-500. Curious. Take a look at THIS ARTICLE and the graph - Pad Y of 680 and Pad X of 400 is beyond fringe. I'm willing to discuss - what saddle are you using and where are you sitting on that saddle? While we discuss - becasue there might be a very real reason for your number - let me progress with what we have...

If you get the Speedmax CF and if you're at 680/400 you'd need a size small, 70mm stock stem works, you'd use the 25mm spacer under the stem that looks so right and then you'd need ~45mm of pedestal to get your Pad Y. The X happens too pads at 1 hole forward of max back. You suggested you might need room to go up - you've got ~20mm of "up" to play with.

The SLX and the CFR (same geo) will not work. The small is too low and the medium is too long.

Get back to me with notes on saddle and position - a pic would be great!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MaxDinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Hello,

I've got Speedmax CFR (size M) and completed a bike bit. However, looks like I need an increased reach for aerobars to achieve a comfortable position on the long distance. Do you know if there is an aftermarket part that can help?

My height is 176. Position attached.

Max,
I'm pretty sure I can help with this - in some fashion. Your attachment didn't come through and I'd like to see it but I'd like something else too. Can you provide me with the seat height, Pad Y and Pad X of your bike as it's set up now and use this vid as a guide on how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Get back to me here and we'll figure it out.

Ian

Thanks Ian, here is all details:

Seat = 750
Pad Y = 640
Pad X = 470

Thanks a lot for your help!

Max,
Super easy.... that bike has base bar options. In the USA it comes stock with the short/flat base bar, you need a long one. Now, as it happens Canyon makes a long flat bar (part number CP0019-01) and a long rise base bar (part nubmer CP0021-01). If you feel like there is too much of a gap betwen your aero position and the bull horns then get the rise bar. If you're good with the gap from aerobars to bull horns then get the flat base bar. If you're in the USA call Canyon at 833-226-9661 M-F 7am to 5pm PST and see if they have one in stock that you can acquire. If you're elsewhere go to the Canyon site, find a contact us button at the bottom of the page and call 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thanks for replying and referring to the article. I'm using a Selle Italia Watt saddle and try to sit out over the front of the saddle. My saddle as far forward as it will go. The reasoning to open up the hip angle. The fitter had the reach on the smaller side to keep my arms more vertical under my shoulder. I'm unsure as to the priority of this ahead of other fundamentals. As such maybe bunches me up and exacerbates my lower back issues??

Since my original post I had actually adjusted the front end based on feel/comfort as I felt too bunched up.

Pad stack (back of pad): 66cm
Pad reach (back of pad): 44cm (46cm to the saddle nose)

My bike as it is currently gives me no scope to to further adjust Pad X. I'd probably appreciate the ability to increase this with a new bike.

Kind regards,

David
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [@racetowyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Like many, I'm patiently awaiting a Canyon Speedmax CF (Disc) or CFR (Disc) to become available. I currently ride a large Trek Speed Concept. The fitter on the Canyon site (height/inseam says I'm a medium). I'd appreciate some fitting advice to ensure I get the correct frame. I've had bike fitting done but with the fitter have been tweaking the front end (raising), shorter cranks, saddle up and fwd to open up my hip angle to reduce back pain over an Ironman bike. I can't be sure that this will be my locked in position and minor changes may still occur (incremental rise in front perhaps). It's hard to test without replicating an Ironman bike leg.

Height: 184cm
Inseam: 81.28cm
Crank length: 165cm (although I see this is not a stock option with the new bikes)
Seat height: 75cm
Pad stack (back of pad): 68cm
Pad reach (back of pad): 40cm
I may need a little bit of room to move with the Pad stack.
What are your frame, stem and spacer recommendations?

David,
At a hair over 6 feet tall and a 32 inseam your morphology is really normal. Your Pad Y is in range (a hair higher than anticipanted but fine) and speaks to that normal-ness, but Pad X of 400 - I would have expected 570-500. Curious. Take a look at THIS ARTICLE and the graph - Pad Y of 680 and Pad X of 400 is beyond fringe. I'm willing to discuss - what saddle are you using and where are you sitting on that saddle? While we discuss - becasue there might be a very real reason for your number - let me progress with what we have...

If you get the Speedmax CF and if you're at 680/400 you'd need a size small, 70mm stock stem works, you'd use the 25mm spacer under the stem that looks so right and then you'd need ~45mm of pedestal to get your Pad Y. The X happens too pads at 1 hole forward of max back. You suggested you might need room to go up - you've got ~20mm of "up" to play with.

The SLX and the CFR (same geo) will not work. The small is too low and the medium is too long.

Hello Ian,

Thanks for replying and referring to the article. I'm using a Selle Italia Watt saddle and try to sit out over the front of the saddle. My saddle as far forward as it will go. The reasoning to open up the hip angle. The fitter had the reach on the smaller side to keep my arms more vertical under my shoulder. I'm unsure as to the priority of this ahead of other fundamentals. As such maybe bunches me up and exacerbates my lower back issues??

Since my original post I had actually adjusted the front end based on feel/comfort as I felt too bunched up.

Pad stack (back of pad): 66cm
Pad reach (back of pad): 44cm (46cm to the saddle nose)

My bike as it is currently gives me no scope to to further adjust Pad X. I'd probably appreciate the ability to increase this with a new bike.

David,
Yeah, that's the type of saddle one could "perch" off of and probably be comfy. And it's forward as you noted - good. Pad Y of 660 and Pad X of 440 - still a small in the CF and now a Medium in the SLX/CFR: short stem, mid spacer, medium extensions; everything that comes stock in the us. AND both bikes give you room to move in all direcitons. Nice!

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [dureau6979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian, appreciate your assistance with this!
Seat height - 730mm
Pad Y - 625
Pad X - 403
H: 172
I have a great/ comfortable fit on my current bike & hoping it will be the same on the Canyon
dureau6979,
If you're gonna get the Speedmax CF it's a size small, the stock stem (70mm) is perfect. You'll need about 20-25mm of spacer under the stem and the aerobars down on the base bar. Pads will be ~20mm (2 holes) forward of 100% back. It's a great fit.

If you're gonna get the Speedmax SLX or CFR it's a size small with the short stem, mid spacer, medium extension. Again, a really nice position on this bike too.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Any recommendations on the base bar? Rise or Flat? I like the look of the flat base bar but keen for your opinion.

Kind Regards, Adam

Adam,
If we're talking flat vs rise bar we're only taking the SLX/CFR and since you only need the mid spacer I'd go with the flat bar - and - the short flat bar comes stock on the bike in the USA so that makes things so much easier (read: time and money).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [PaulM1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I’m looking at the Canyon Speedmax CFR Disc and would like to check the sizing.
My current bike is a Cervelo P3 with the following measurements –

Pad X 430mm
Pad Y 655mm
Saddle height 730mm

My body measurements are-
Height 178cm
Inside seem 85cm

PaulM1,
Long legs suggest this higer than expect Y and shorter than expect X but... 430..still very short. I'm good with it though and plowing foward....

You can fit on two sizes (common).
Size small - short stem, high spacer, medium extension.
Size medium - short stem, mid spacer, medium extension.

The medium will not have much seat post exposed and you won't be able to use the fancy, Canyon, OEM bottle bosses behind the post - not a big deal, you have many other behind-the-saddle bottle holding options.

If I was in your shoes I'd get the small. I like the aesthetic of a more exposed post - but both these bikes fit and fit well, my only ability to differentiate is based on aethetic snobbery and that's no way to live.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Lehrn2Lose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Those mounting bosses are only useful if you can actually get the mount

Lehrn2Lose,

When I first read that line what I was thinking off what this... 99% of all triathletes are riding so far foward that reaching back to pull a bottle from ANY bottle holder behind the seat is hard to do. It typically requires one to come off the aerobars, hold the pursuit position, slide back on the saddle, stretch back, rotate toro and snatch the bottle. I don't like that kina of move and it's terribly un-aero [GASP!].

But then I understood what you were talking about.. which is that it's hard to get a bike part. Man are you right... it's hard to get bike parts nowadays. Rant shared and accepted!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [nagylakil01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian! Please help with canyon speedmax cf8 (2018) size selection. Is size S or M good? Height: 178 cm Inseam: 82 cm I currently have a Trek Emonda. Size 54. (2016) Thank you very much.

nagylakil01,
Short answer first... based on your morphology and assuming your a healthy person with average flexibily, etc... your Pad Y is roughly 623 and your Pad X is roughly 480. Based on that... a Canyon Speedmax CF (rim brake bike) size Medium will fit you. That bike was sold with an 80mm stem on it - if you needed more fore/aft movement that the pad holes will give you there are 70 and 90mm stems from Canyon that will be perfect.

Longer answer here.... your position on this (or any triathlon bike) will be FAR different from your Emonda (or any road bike). The frame geometry of a tri bike has a steeper stead tube angle, a shorter top tube and a lower head tube. All of these things combine to move you forward and lower in the front so you can a) be comfortable in the aero positon, b) be powerful in the aero positon, and c) be out of the wind in the aero position.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [wsd314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Currently looking at the Speedmax CF 7 Disc and wondering on size recommendation plus potential fit options
Here are my details:
Height: 183 cm
Inseam: 90 cm
Seat Height: 785mm
Pad Y: 650mm
Pad X: 510mm

wsd314,
Well... I'm a little surprized. Based on your very, very long legs I wouldn't have expected your Pad X to be out at 510, in fact I would have guessed more like 455-475. But, let's go....

Here's the only way to make your positon work on a Speedmax CF... get a medium. It'll come stock with an 80mm stem. Order a 90mm stem Canyon V21 stem (if you have availability issues DM me, I have 2 in my drawer). You will have to push the pads (and that 90mm stem) 100% forward and even then I think your Pad X will be ~4mm short than your desired 510 (that number that I'm so suspicious of).

WAIT!... is that 510 to the middle of the pad or the back of the pad????

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rookiefro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian -

Wondering if you're still able to help with a Speedmax fit, or if this thread is long expired for help. I've been riding an entry level road bike that I came with a complimentary fit in the store, so I am not as familiar with all of the measurements you'd need - if you could link me to a thread that may help me obtain these, that would also be of great help.

rookiefro,
Based on your slightly longer torso morpholgy I'd say your Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 655mm and your Pad X is roughly 505mm. These numbers tell us where the arm pads sit in relation to the bottom bracket, and they are what we use to shop for the proper size tri bike.

Canyon makes... essentially... two verisons of the Speedmax tri bike..
1) is the CF and that bike sort of a "mortal bike" meaning it has a pretty normal stem on it, a stem that we could change to different size in about 90sec.
2) is the SLX or CRF (same in terms of fit and geometry) and that bike only has two "stems", a long and a short.. and it's not really a stem it's a base bar, molded, carbon thing... and it's got brake lines and sometimes more running through it and it takes a day to change out.

If you wanted a CF... the medium. You'd be right in the middle in terms of pads up and down (Pad Y) and you'll probably need to push the pads out almost the max to get the Pad X right.

If you wanted the SLX/CRF... you'd be a large with the long stem, mid spacer, medium extension.

Get back me if you have any more questions and I'll respond promptly.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
... which is that it's hard to get a bike part. Man are you right... it's hard to get bike parts nowadays. Rant shared and accepted!

Ian

I’ll continue the rant…the part is readily available in Canada…

https://www.canyon.com/...dapter/10006351.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - I am looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF 7 Disc eTap when it's available later this month. The Canyon fit tool says I would be a large in that frame based on my measurements - clearly only two measurements are less precise than what you provided. Would there be any additional info/measurements I could provide to ensure that a Medium is the proper size for me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

It's great you are doing this! I am looking into getting a Speedmax CF 7 eTap later this month. I have been riding an old road bike that has some cheap aero bars fit to it and I have no idea what size frame (maybe 52 cm or something) and feel pretty scrunched when in the bars.

I have not gotten a bike fit but I have reasonable flexibility and ride in the clip-on aerobars on my trainer for most of my rides so I am used to the position (however poor my current fit is :/).

My current height is 175 cm and inseam is 83 cm. I could measure the distance from the seat tip to the pads in my current setupif that would help give more information Canyon's site recommendation was medium.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rookiefro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian -

rookiefro,
Based on your slightly longer torso morpholgy I'd say your Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 655mm and your Pad X is roughly 505mm. These numbers tell us where the arm pads sit in relation to the bottom bracket, and they are what we use to shop for the proper size tri bike.

Canyon makes... essentially... two verisons of the Speedmax tri bike..
1) is the CF and that bike sort of a "mortal bike" meaning it has a pretty normal stem on it, a stem that we could change to different size in about 90sec.
2) is the SLX or CRF (same in terms of fit and geometry) and that bike only has two "stems", a long and a short.. and it's not really a stem it's a base bar, molded, carbon thing... and it's got brake lines and sometimes more running through it and it takes a day to change out.

If you wanted a CF... the medium. You'd be right in the middle in terms of pads up and down (Pad Y) and you'll probably need to push the pads out almost the max to get the Pad X right.

If you wanted the SLX/CRF... you'd be a large with the long stem, mid spacer, medium extension.

Get back me if you have any more questions and I'll respond promptly.

Ian

Ian! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - I am looking at the Canyon Speedmax CF 7 Disc eTap when it's available later this month. The Canyon fit tool says I would be a large in that frame based on my measurements - clearly only two measurements are less precise than what you provided. Would there be any additional info/measurements I could provide to ensure that a Medium is the proper size for me?

rookiefro,

First, to answer you question directly - if you gave me your seat height and assurance that you haven't had some major issue.. like a car crash that resulted in 5 fused vertebrae.. then I could go perhaps a millimeter further in confidence of my prescription.

It's VERY common that one person can fit on 2 and even 3 sizes of the same make/model bike. I do think you could fit on a Large Speedmax CF, but I think it might leave you up higher in your arm/shoulder/head position than you'd like - even when slammed ("slammed" is roadie slang for pull-out-all-the-spacers-and-pedestals-and-get-as-low-as-possible). I want you to have the freedom to go lower if you can.

Now, here's the problem... bike fitting is very real. It's part art, part science and in this scenario (you investing in a Speedmax CF 7 and spending hundreds of hours a year over perhaps 10 years in comfort, feeling powerful, and being fast) it's so, so, so worth the $249 (in my fit studio) or even $399 (in some other fit studio) to have a prescriptive fit done. A pre-fit is where you go to an educated, experienced, fitter with a dynamic fit bike (gotta be all three of those, you can't skimp on even one) and they put you through a process that results in your Pad Y and Pad X so we know exactly what size bike you need and what the front end configuration will be... AND... you have all of your fit coordinates (seat height, set back, pad elevation, pad width, aerobar tilt, and so much more) so that the fit for your new bike - the bike you haven't even purchased yet - is finished.

You might be thinking... "gosh, I wouldn't be having this problem if I walked into a bike shop to buy a bike. They'd tell me what size I needed". Let me speak to that for a sec.... There are very few "fit first" bike shops. They are great and they are EXTREMELY rare. The vast majority of sales folk will have a look at ya as you walk in the door, estimate your height at about 6'1" and when you say "i'm here to buy a tri bike" they'll take that height estimate, apply it to what they know about road bikes and say.. "I've got a 58cm right over here". That experience is far worse than what you and I are doing here now.

That complete art/science process of a pre-fit - can't be done on the phone, over a website, or even with me here on this forum. So.. the question is.. are you gonna take my free and savant-like advice and run with it - many have, it works. Or are you gonna tell me what city you live in so that I can recommed a fitter (if I know one in that area) whom you can see so that you do this perfectly. Those are choices: free-pretty darn accurate.... or.... $$$- perfect.

Let me know. I want to help either way.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome thread!
Ian, thanks for doing this!

I'm moving from Cervelo P3 to Speedmax CF7 disc.

Based on my measurements
height 189cm
inseam 89 cm

Canyon website suggests size L.
Retul fitting couple of years back on my current Cervelo:
175 mm cranks
seat ISM Adamo prologue (I intend to use this seat on Canyon as well)

seat height 816mm (BB center to top middle)
pad-X 508 (BB center to center of pads)
pad-Y 731 (BB center to top of pads)
seat -50 setback (BB center to tip of saddle)
seat to pad drop -65mm (top of saddle to top of pads)

Other things to consider
- CF7 size L comes with 170mm cranks (vs 175mm on Cervelo) - how does this affect fitting?
- CF7 comes with Profile Design subsonic bracket which doesn't allow installation of DI2 junction box into aerobar extensions (rear of the extension is not accessible) and I'll use PD supersonic bracket which is higher than subsonic.

Pic for reference (not sure if this was before or after fitting)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Jasop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jasop wrote:
Hi Ian,

It's great you are doing this! I am looking into getting a Speedmax CF 7 eTap later this month. I have been riding an old road bike that has some cheap aero bars fit to it and I have no idea what size frame (maybe 52 cm or something) and feel pretty scrunched when in the bars.

I have not gotten a bike fit but I have reasonable flexibility and ride in the clip-on aerobars on my trainer for most of my rides so I am used to the position (however poor my current fit is :/).

My current height is 175 cm and inseam is 83 cm. I could measure the distance from the seat tip to the pads in my current setupif that would help give more information Canyon's site recommendation was medium.

Thanks!

Hi Ian,

I am looking into a couple bike fitters here in Oregon area so I don't just jump into an expensive purchase without the proper information on fit. One in Portland (https://www.outputspeedlab.com/about) and one in Eugene (https://www.hutchseugene.com/...s/bike-fit-pg147.htm) both are similar in price but have different adaptive fit bike systems. Do you recommend either? I see that outputspeedlab has trained under your supervision!

Thanks for the help,
JP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
ianpeace wrote:
Howdy Y’all,

Ian Murray here - fit instructor at both the Slowtwitch F.I.S.T. bike fit school and at the Guru Academy.

I’ve created this thread in a Canyon endorsed capacity to help prescribe the proper Speedmax for you: not just the size of bike, but the front-end configuration as well. That means the length of stem, shape of base bar, amount of arm pad pedestal, etc. to make the Canyon you buy the best it can be.

I’m not the one to answer questions about availability, nor do all manner of customer service, handle warranty issues, nor be a suggestion box about colors and whatnot – but I can and will deliver on fit. I’m not the best guy to this by the way. David (cyclenutnz) is better. Dan (slowman) is better too, but both those guys are too damn busy, so the task has fallen to me – and, frankly, I’m stoked. At the 2017 Kona Expo, I did nearly 40 Canyon Speedmax Sizing fits in 2 days and it was a joy.

If you are looking to buy a Canyon Speedmax and you want to make sure you get the right size, touch base right here on this thread. Best practices are for you to post your Seat Height, Pad Y, Pad X (AKA Pad Stack, Pad Reach) and I will prescribe the proper Speedmax for you. If you don’t know your Pad Y & Pad X then let me assist you in identifying those coordinates.

Happy to help, Ian

I was wondering if you could give me your prescription with just my height (168cm) and inseam (78cm) for CF 8 disc. I am between XS and s on canyons website, and I wouldn’t want to ride with 650b sized wheels.

There are unfortunately no openings for bike fitting in Finland for the next two or so months and I don’t have a previous tri-bike where I could measure pad y and pad x. I used to ride felt b14 51cm, but have already sold it, so no use from that bike either.
Last edited by: Pekko11: Mar 29, 22 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am in the process of purchasing a new speedmax, I have been eying the CF8 for a while now. Like others I am on the fence around sizing, based on the the fit tool Canyon provides my recommended size is a Medium. But a centimetre or so more and the tool puts me up a size to Large.

Height - 184 cm
Inseam - 89 cm
Saddle Height - 78.5 cm (road bike)

Unfortunately I moved on my past Tri Bike (med, Shiv) before taking any measure of cockpit geometry to ensure that the medium is going to work so I am a little nervous hitting the go button. Bike fitters with access to fit bikes are few and far between so validation that the medium is the right starting point for me would be appreciated, apologies I can't give you more to go on
Last edited by: jsg88: Mar 29, 22 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lazybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Awesome thread!
Ian, thanks for doing this!

I'm moving from Cervelo P3 to Speedmax CF7 disc.
Based on my measurements
height 189cm
inseam 89 cm
Canyon website suggests size L.
Retul fitting couple of years back on my current Cervelo:
175 mm cranks
seat ISM Adamo prologue (I intend to use this seat on Canyon as well)
seat height 816mm (BB center to top middle)
pad-X 508 (BB center to center of pads)
pad-Y 731 (BB center to top of pads)
seat -50 setback (BB center to tip of saddle)
seat to pad drop -65mm (top of saddle to top of pads)

Lazybiker,
Lots of good info in here, thank you.
For the Canyon Speedmax CF you're a Large and in a nice, centrally located spot with some room to move if you like in the future. And here's where your future should be.... 175mm cranks on a TT/Tri bike is old skool. For your height I think 170's are fine. An argument could be made for 165s but let's leave it at this for a moment. The idea of shorter cranks is this: you can ride in comfort, with more power, and perhaps slipperier with lower aerobars by using shorter cranks. This all happens becasue the hip is free to flow over the top of the pedal stroke with the shorter crank. In terms of your fit the seat height would be 821 (rather than 816) and so your "drop" to the arm pads would be 5mm more as a result. Then the new Pad Y would be 726 or perhaps lower.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next