Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [JayTeeHaitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayTee,

Do you happen to remember how long those cranks were on the Shiv?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
They were 172.5mm.
I'm picking up a cheap TT bike with quite a bit of adjustment in a few days, so I'm hoping to be able to somewhat emulate a potential position for the canyon on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again Ian. I love your humor and willingness to help others. I would never have guessed I would be a large in the rim brake CF8 and a small or medium in the disc, but then again I'm a bike idiot.

In all fairness to my fitter, I did tie his hands a bit as I was on a budget :-) I let him get me into his cheapest saddle (Mistica) and a different stem but I had sticker shock when my fitting, saddle and stem ($500) were more than my cheapo bike ($300.) At any rate, whichever bike I get next, I'll definitely be investing in getting it fit to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian for your reply, is there a Solution in a S size?
I already bought de New Speedmax SLX Disc and when I select 82 for my inseam and height 177cm in Canyon web it conclude I was size S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome Ian, many thanks for your swift answer, you deliver as always ! Will send a pic when I receive the beast.
Have a nice christmas !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Ian, I just found my Retul Test from October 2019 in my actual bike. Look attachement (sorry its in spanish but the arrows in the picture can easy show you the measures)
It looks like the PAD X is 452mm and Pad Y is 640mm. (it looks like I just made some errors measuring myself)
Also mentioning that already bought the New Canyon Speedmax DB in Size S, delivery will be next year, I am in configuration phase with them. But in their system with my 82.7cm inseam and 177cm height it told me to pisck up Size S.
SO what will be your suggestion now?
I am thinking long stem, flat bar, medium extension but waiting for your reply
Also can you help me telling me the size and number of spacers i will need?
Righ now in my bike I am running the Sync ergonomics ecosystem with 15-degree arm cup wedges, so I will like to keep a similar angle with the angle spacer. (Pic of my bike attached)
Thank you very much for your patience and support

Rgds

Luis
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Here are my numbers:
Height: 171cm
Saddle height: 763mm
Pad Stack (BB to top of pad): 672mm
Pad Reach (BB to back of pad): 403mm

Apart from whether I can fit onto the new CL SLX Disc, am also wondering about the arm pad width and grip widths. Would you be able to advise on the adjustibility of those?

Cheers,
Mel

Mel,
Based on your numbers you'll fit very well on a Medium with the short stem, mid spacer, mid extension (all three of those come stock). You'll even have some room to play with the tilt wedges to detail that as well.
As to your query of pad width.... with the stock pads* there are three settings: narrow is 88mm, mid is 140mm and wide is 159mm. *I say with "stock pads" because the stock pad itself is pretty narrow (~63mm) and has a moderately deep cup. It might be possible (for someone who wanted more width) to pull these and install something wide and flatish like a Profile Design F40 (~120mm wide) and that would add a great deal to the width.
Re grip width... I'm sorry I don't have numbers right now. I do know the bike will come "narrow" and you can add the spacers (in orange below) to widen them.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply!

Would a S fit me as well?

Also, assuming that a person is able to fit onto 2 sizes, what would be your advice on which size to get, and why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you can help me with sizing. I'm looking at getting the Speedmax CF 8 DISC eTap when it is available. I don't know my measurements other than height (5'-11") and inseam (33"). I was on an old medium Fuji D6 3.0 a few years ago. I began setting it up myself, I felt like the top tube was a little short for me though. My knees where right at my elbows. I think I could go with a medium or a large on the Canyon?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Arne,
Let's say for a second that all the numbers you offer are perfect: Seat Height 742, Pad Y 650, Pad X 455.
If you wanted the new CFR or CFR SLX (disc brake bike) you have 2 choices:
1) the medium, with the short stem that comes stock, the medium extension that comes stock, and the mid spacer that comes pre-installed on the bike. The only hesitation is that the seat post would be down in the frame a bit and you wouldn't have access to the built in water bottle boss. This is never a big deal, if you want bottles behind your seat then use a mount from the rails.
2) the small, with the long stem, medium extensions, and mid spacer. You'll get the post bosses on this....but, I have a concern*

If you wanted the new CF with disc brakes you can do it with...the medium, the 80mm stem that comes standard, the standard spacer - same issue with the bottle boss down in the frame

*Here's my concern - you haven't had a bike fit yet. You describe taking your road bike to fitter who moved the seat backward 40mm. STOP RIGHT THERE... If we're trying to determine your tri position the seat would have to go forward perhaps 50mm. Because your hips are in the wrong spot we can't rely on that Pad Y/Pad X. The other experience where you rode around on some tri bikes - I'm sorry, that's not a fit.

Based on your body (your height, your limb/torso lengths, etc). I would put your Pad Y around 630 (not 650) and your Pad X out at 465 or beyond (not 455). To that end small becomes a problem because it maxes out at 460.

The Medium is your bike, no question. There are some musts here... you must ride a tri saddle, on the nose of it where you have to be to make all this work. And that spot has to be comfortable, if you're not get a saddle will give you comfort on the front.

Get back to me here if you have more questions.

Ian

Hello Ian,

thank you very much for your answer!
It seems, the medium cf disc would be the right size for me.

As I was reading your post I realized that my question for the right bikesize just revealed the real problem: That I dont trust my bike-fitter and my position.

So now I consider buying a cheap used bike instead and getting a proper position dialed in within the next 2-3 years and then buying a new bike (as an alternative to getting all in now with the Canyon).

Greetings, arne
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [zaskar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
I have finally got round to assembling my speedmax cf8.0. Is it possible to provide any more detail as to how I should dial-in my fit from the details I sent?
Saddle height is good. Unsure stem height and length of aerobars etc.
Looks like the bike came with one spacer installed but in the aerobars it is quite strained on my shoulders. Should the pads be under my elbows or closer to my hands?
Thanks!!!

zaskar,
If you can provide an image or video - I need it of you at profile and roughly hip height. From there I can see your body angle and make some suggestions on position. As to the pad/elbow relationship - you can have your elbows in the middle of the pad or have your elbows hanging just slightly off the back of the pad or anywhere in between those spots, whatever you prefer. Typically, having the pads hanging just a bit off the back of the pad is preferred.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!

Looking to buy a new Speedmax CF SLX 8 DISC.

Measurements:
Height: 178 cm
Inseam: 84 cm

Current saddle height: 753 mm
Pad X: 435 (Back of the pad)
Pad Y: 640

Hoping to lower the pads few cms in the future. Is size M ok?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [JayTeeHaitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I unhelpfully have no firm numbers here. In a period of post IM stupidity sold my Shiv and even greater stupidity didn't record any of the fit measurements. I adjusted it myself over time and was fairly happy with the position.
I'm also aware that I have weird proportions. I did speak to a Canyon support person who agreed with my assessment of needing a size L despite the autosize suggesting M. I'm still not confident that I'm going to be able to get any size to work though.
I've worked out from photos and knowing spacer and riser dimensions some approximate values.
My measurements: 182cm Tall, 90cm Inseam.

I had a large Shiv which has these:
Frame Stack: 565mm
Frame Reach: 425mm

Pad Stack: ~725mm - Based off my photos, 45mm of risers under the pads/bars and about 45-50mm of steerer spacers under the stem. Combined with the stem (definitely 60mm, maybe -6 degree) and the height of the bars/pads themselves, my conservatively high estimate is about 160mm above the Frame Stack.
Pad Reach: ~445mm - To the centre of the pad is probably about 20mm longer than the Frame Reach.

Saddle height: ~780mm - I'm not sure of this, my current road bike is this, but I'm not particularly happy with the setup on that yet. Looking at the race photos I think it might have been better a little higher and further forward.

JayTeeHaitch,
I think you've done a pretty good job of attempting to estimate your Pad Y/X based on the numbers and images available to you. No doubt a guy with your morphology (very long leg and short torso) you're gonna have a shorter X and a slightly higher Y. The reason I ask about the crank length (172.5) is because that's a place where you'll be able to help yourself ride with a Y of maybe 30-40mm lower. My problem is this... you had position that was pretty good (other wise you won't be trying to recreate it) but it was certainly not your ultimate position. With shorter cranks you'd ride lower for sure and while the one pic isn't exactly at profile I have a strong urge asking you to ride lower as well. A lower/longer position can be just as comfortable as where you were perhaps more so and that would result in a Pad Y/X of something like 690/450(to rear of pad) and then you are a medium on the new disc CFR, the new disc SLX and an Large works too but the seat height will be a bit low. On the new disc CF it's a medium for sure and a really nice position with room to move.

You mentioned you have a cheap tri bike coming with which to play with numbers. Keep me posted and let's find the perfect spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [nmurray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
Looking at the rim brake Speedmax CF. Can you offer fit assistance for:

Pad Stack = 750
Center of Pad Reach = 500

I'm 6'4" with long legs, FYI.

Thanks!

nmurray,
The Canyon Speedmax CF rim brake bike won't immediately arrive at your position without some help. Here's how you do this.... You get an XL. It's gonna come with 90mm Canyon stem that is -6 degree in pitch. Pull that off and put on a 90mm stem that is +8 degree in pitch. Use a Profile-Design or Ritchey or what ever you like. It'll be easy to find because the steer tube is standard 1 1/8in and the base bar is standard 31.8 so they are everywhere. The +8 and the spacers will get you up to the Pad Y of 750 (the max with the stock stem is 721). Then you'll want to pull the pads back pretty much 100% (the min Pad X is 508 but because we're now climber higher on the 73 degree head angle the pads are creeping back to you and you'll be at 500).

Ian
Thanks! How many spacers would that require?

Also, could I impose on you to offer your opinion on and perhaps another fit prescription using a +17 degree stem (specifically PD's to use with the Aeria Hydration system)? Could I use that stem and fit on the L? Does that angle take the pad stack too high? I like the narrative of and look of turning this into a "super bike." Please let me know if this is more a question to take over to the PD bar official fit assistance forum.

nmurray,

I don't like plus stems. It's not just an aesthetic thing for me, there's an aspect of stability of safety involved as well. They aren't unsafe but they are NOT preferred. I prescribed a +8 stem, and, to answer your first question directly - all the spacers that come with the bike (this is ~35mm) to get you up to that Pad Y of 750- and I want to come back to that number in a moment.

Now, to the other question - what would the prescription be with a +17 stem. If you were in a post apocalyptic setting and had to get across some stretch of desert highway to get to water, and all you had was a +17 stem then you could get the pads to the same spot with 20mm of spacer you'd arrive at nearly the exact same spot. BUT hold the phone... you asked this because you're attracted to superbike aspect of a front end hydration system - specifically the Profile-Design Aeria Ultimate. I know a bit about that as HERE is my bike. The PD Aeria Ultimate Hydration system ONLY plugs into their Aeria Ultimate stem and that stem, while a bit of an odd ball, is a hella lot closer to a -17 degree stem than a +17 degree stem. It would not be possible for you to get a enough spacers under a -17 degree stem to get the pads up to 750.

So, can we discuss that 750? You're 6'4" I would expect your Pad Y to be 695ish, with long legs/short torso then I'd expect 715-720. There must be another reason that your at 750. It could be something physical: many fused lumbar vertebrae, a large belly (from cyst/benign tumor/too many Uncle Eddies vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cookies), etc. It could be something in the process: these numbers came off a road bike with clip on aerobars, or the cranks 172.5 or longer, or it's a tri bike but riding with hips too far behind saddle from... old style roadie saddle, or on a good saddle but riding it too far back, or maybe the bike was never offered to you in a lower/longer position. And, please understand, my priority is always comfort. When I suggest your Pad Y/X would be 715/520 I'm not saying that because my priority is aero. That 750 is just so unusual - look at this article; https://www.slowtwitch.com/.../Orthodoxy_6670.html

So, if your Pad Y really is 750 - it can be created on the bike we're discussing (Speedmax rim brake CF) with a 90mm, +8 stem and 35mm of spacer. BUT I'd sure like to hear from you about that 750. The funny thing is, if we discuss it here (and I'd love to) and we come to figure out that your real Pad Y is 718 - the bike is still probably the XL (could be a large) but now with the stem that comes on it or maybe even then we can discuss making the PD Aeria Ultimate hydration system work.

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [micben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian

First of all, amazing thread and thanks for your time, answering all people!!
I'm going to buy the Canyon Speedmax 7.0, but i'm not sure if i should get a size S or M, so hope that you can help me out.
I got a bikefit half a year ago, and have attached both some stats and a picture, that hopefully will give you some insight.
I'm 178cm high and my inseam is 78cm (so according to Canyon, i'm a size S) <
Hope you can give me some advice :-)

Micben,
The fit you had done was good. It's only a hair off in two places: 1) if you go into get a tri or TT fit and the fitter puts you on 172.5 cranks - that's a problem. It's going to rob you of a better position. And your fit was done on a Muve with what looks like adjustable cranks - I don't know if it was the fitter being lazy or just macho about crank length or simply old school but at your height your cranks should be 165 AT THE LONGEST. 2) the bike was set up with a tri saddle (but you're not riding it where it's supposed to be ridden - on the front half. This robbed you of a better position.

The fit sheet says your Pad Y is 657 and your Pad X is 450. I believe you should be lower and longer than this position with a Pad Y should be 625-630 and your Pad X should be 475-480. And you can get there, be comfortable, make great power, and slip through the wind better with shorter cranks and riding the nose of a saddle you are comfortable in that spot.

Let's start with a place I'm willing to go - that I'm wrong. Your Pad Y/X really is 657/450
Then the Canyon Speedmax 7.0 (new disc brake bike) it's a size small with the 70mm stem that comes stock. And, if I'm right that your Pad Y/X is really more like 630/480 it's still a small, still 70mm stem but fewer spacers under the stem and pads moved farther out.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [monty816] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks again Ian. I love your humor and willingness to help others. I would never have guessed I would be a large in the rim brake CF8 and a small or medium in the disc, but then again I'm a bike idiot.

In all fairness to my fitter, I did tie his hands a bit as I was on a budget :-) I let him get me into his cheapest saddle (Mistica) and a different stem but I had sticker shock when my fitting, saddle and stem ($500) were more than my cheapo bike ($300.) At any rate, whichever bike I get next, I'll definitely be investing in getting it fit to me.

monty816,
You're welcome. Take that $500 and divide it into all the hours of riding you'll do on your bike in the next 7 years. It'll be pennies per hour and so, so, so worth it. Enjoy!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
Thank you for your advice! I appreciate the stem advice especially.

So as far as my fit numbers go, again I'm 6'4'" and long legged, 185 or so, relatively fit and flexible for a 40 year old. Have had some lower back pain in past. Finally did PT a year ago, and it helped clear that up. That's the only physical issue that I know of that might have impacted my fit.

Got a dynamic bike fit that seeded to go well. Priority for the fitter seemed to be getting a few body angles to look right. Hindsight seems to suggest I might have asked more about the position we got to. Fitter talked about wanting a position that I'd stay in for racing up to 70.3 distance over aiming for lowest possible position.

I have already gently questioned the fit over email after rereading some of the posts here about fit like the one you mentioned on position orthodoxy. Fitter's initial reporting said I would only fit 2 bikes: canyon xl and Argon 18 E 117 xl (which their shop happens to sell). Fitter didn't think I was that much of an outlier. Has since said a QR PR4/5 would also fit.

I have certainly gotten down some rabbit holes trying to imagine building a bike without knowing what I don't know - things like your advice on stems.

I guess without deciding to try to get refitted, I'm currently looking to choose between a few bikes that can get to my fit but also can be adjusted to go lower (recognizing that I may need to change a stem to get to the former or latter). Please let me know what you think about this path and my fit experience - I really appreciate your work!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BagdadBryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asking again in hopes of an answer. Hopefully you can help me with sizing. I'm looking at getting the Speedmax CF 8 DISC eTap when it is available. I don't know my measurements other than height (5'-11") and inseam (33"). I was on an old medium Fuji D6 3.0 a few years ago. I began setting it up myself, I felt like the top tube was a little short for me though. My knees where right at my elbows. I don't have any measurements from that bike. I think I could go with a medium or a large on the Canyon? If there's any other body measurements that would help I'll be glad to get them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

I don't have a bike now, but i'am looking to buy a the CF 8.0 Di2.

The numbers i have: height 193cm
inseam 93cm
saddle 82cm.
arm lenght 65cm

Do i fit on a XL? Since the L is no longer available in NL.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the response. I've got the bike now and had a sprint distance race yesterday with it. I think the setup I have right now is a good starting point, one thing that I noticed is that I think one of my limiting factors seems to be my thoracic mobility, resulting in my need to bend my neck up quite a lot to be able to see further than a few metres in front, not much of a problem in a sprint, probably manageable on a half but I don't think I'd survive a full. I haven't ridden a TT bike for two years or so though, so I might just need a few more k's.
You recommended that I try shorter cranks, by way of happy coincidence, this bike actually has 170mm cranks. I'm not sure I would have noticed the difference had I not looked. I'm a little confused though, you mention shorter cranks to get me lower, I don't fully understand how that works. My thoughts are that to maintain the same leg angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke I'd need to raise my saddle with shorter cranks and this would give me some more space between my leg and torso. Are you meaning lower in terms of pads relative to hips?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian.

Thanks so much for offering this to everyone. I'm looking to get a CF 8 disc and was hoping you could help with sizing. Here are my numbers:

Pad X - 484 mm
Pad Y - 682 mm
Height - 177.8 cm
Inseam - 80.3 cm

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [djeggert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which saddle?

Saddle height?

Saddle setback?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Managed to get the stem changed out for 100mm one and gave it a shot today for the first time. Also lowered the seat about 3mm.
Definitely felt immediately less crushed and more natural. I was still finding myself getting pretty fatigued in the triceps, could this be as simple as widening out the elbow pads? I have broad shoulders and am not amazingly flexible ha.

Thanks again for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
I am looking to buy new 2021 Speedmax CF SLX Di2 disc and I am having challenge which size to get. I am 185cm tall 88 cm inseam (6'1"/34") and Canyon PPS sizing recommends M. I experimented with measures at their site and found out I am close to upper limit, e.g 2cm increase in hight without changing inseam puts me to size L.
I analized CF SLX M geometry and its top tube is 51.9 cm. I have road bike and don't own TT. Friend of mine has Trek TT M size and with his 53cm top tube my head is well over aerobars. and while pedaling i occasionally hit my arms with my elbows (i could move airbags further out to avoid, but they are in optimal position right now)..
I have Retul ZIN report for my road bike, but the bike is too big for me so i don't think it is good reference to use.
Not owning TT bike yet, i don't have X and Y coordinates but still hoping you can provide some guidance or what additional information you would need

Thank you
Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Apologies for the delayed response here! Hopefully you're still able to offer your sage advice.

Correct, seat height is 835mm. I also realized I'd said the drop from saddle to arm pad top was 95mm, it was actually 9.5mm.

Given these dimensions, with a seat tube angle of 80.5 degrees, I've "back calculated" my arm pad stack to be 814mm (thanks high school trigonometry)!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the best fit, from my calculations, would be a Speedmax CF 8 DISC in Large, with a max armpad stack of 757 mm. Also, I looked at the rim brake CF 8.0 Di2, but it seems like the max armpad stack for that one is 714 mm.

From my fitting I've got the following additional dimensions re: Pad X/Y:
XY Tool - HB - X = 476 mm, Y = 660 mm
XY Tool - Rail - X = 202 mm, Y = 755 mm

I believe those XY measurement are to the handlebar, whereas I'm most interested in the pad locations (as most of my ride time will be in aero).

Hope this helps, thanks as always for your advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chitriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this for Ian
Quote Reply

Prev Next