Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the open back carbon arm cups.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw this cockpit extender that Baekkegard has had developed by Canyon, according to this video

One could hope it would be a Canyon stocked accesorry - maybe somebody already knows about this?

Probably discussed somewhere here in this beautiful and long thread - but how to get that Monopole aerobar that Daniel sports?

TIA
Last edited by: Mulen: Feb 5, 23 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Just saw this cockpit extender that Baekkegard has had developed by Canyon, according to this video

One could hope it would be a Canyon stocked accesorry - maybe somebody already knows about this?

Probably discussed somewhere here in this beautiful and long thread - but how to get that Monopole aerobar that Daniel sports?

TIA

Yes, I was discussed earlier. This version appears to be even more extreme than the previous two.

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
I noticed many pros have a riser that angles forward to add reach. Is this angled unit available to public or pros-only?

BigBoyND,
I put a bunch of questions to an engineer at HQ in Koblenz and here's what I know today....
  • This is not a new stem or a new cockpit, it's just a new spacer.
  • There's no specific name or even a part number yet, they are calling it the "Pro Spacer".
  • It can be placed in all the disc brake SLX and CRF Speedmax bikes
  • It's not yet available to the public as it needs special length screws and it doesn't work well with all the existing spacers
  • There are two (2) of them; one adds 25mm of reach and one adds 30mm of reach

I also saw that link in post #1640 of this thread but can't speak to that in any way.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I got the impression that the extender was a Canyon invention, not a Radsport Ibert thing. Sounds like they both made a similar solution, but on Radsport is for sale.

How about the mono-bar he is sporting?

T
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Awesome! I got the impression that the extender was a Canyon invention, not a Radsport Ibert thing. Sounds like they both made a similar solution, but on Radsport is for sale.

How about the mono-bar he is sporting?

T

No, it is a Canyon part. They make them for pros but not available to public.

His cups and extensions are also stock pieces that you can buy. The single grip at the end of the extension is custom to pros and the same one Jan uses, I believe.

The Radsport part anyone can buy.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Feb 6, 23 2:08
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, mate. Appreciated

One could hope these pieces would be available to all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great info... I ended up getting a small Speedmax CFR, I'm on the borderline between small and medium and tried both but the medium just felt huge to me, very high standover, longer wheelbase, the small was definitely the preferred option but I need more reach! I just installed the Radsport Ibert spacer and that helped a lot but a little more reach would be great. I really hope that part is released to the public at some point!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm about to buy my first Tri-bike and have decided to go for a new Speedmax.
It's going to be either a CF 8 Disc Di2 2 or a CF SLX 7 Disc eTap.

I'm 181cm with an inseam of 89cm. Canyon's sizing tool tells me that "M" will be the correct size for me. Does this hold true when considering that this will be my first experience with going aero and I might need to have a more conservative (i.e. comfortable) position first and then develop into a more aggressive position down the line?

Will both bikes shortlisted above allow me to go for this "position journey"?

Thanks,
Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Greg1183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm 181cm with an inseam of 89cm. Canyon's sizing tool tells me that "M" will be the correct size for me. Does this hold true when considering that this will be my first experience with going aero and I might need to have a more conservative (i.e. comfortable) position first and then develop into a more aggressive position down the line?

Greg,
Let me start by saying... good on ya for commit to owning a tri bike and racing on one. I think you'll be shocked/thrilled at the ease in which you can go faster. You're pretty leggy for a guy your height so I'm gonna speculate that your Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 655mm and your Pad X ~470mm. These numbers represent where your aerobar arm pads will need to be for the bike to fit you - there are other factors of course like seat height, set back etc. But that stuff is far easier obtain - it's the pad position on a tri bike that's critical. We (bike fitters) use these numbers to prescribe not just the size of frame but also the "front end configuration": stem length, stem pitch, spacers under stem, spacers under pads, etc. etc. This way we know what will be required for the front end to meet you where you want to be.

So, the Canyon Speedmax CF (in any build) in a size Medium is right for you and the numbers I'm suing (655/470) are conservative to start with but also place you nicely central to the range of this front end to up/down/fore/aft quite a bit for you to ride anywhere in that neighborhood.

The Medium will come stock with an 80mm stem - that's perfect for you. There will be a 25mm spacer under the stem - leave that there too. And in a box within the bike box there will a series of spacers and bolts for you to adjust the aerobars up or down to find a perfect fit. If I were to make any other suggestion it would be this.... get the Di2 bike. There are perhaps more advantages to riding an electric shifting triathon bike than any other bike and it'll be easier to adjust the aerobar extension with the Di2 bike than with the mechanical bike.

Get back to me here if you have more questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks, Ian!
I will surely go for the electronic shifting. Do you have a preference between Shimano Di2 vs Sram Rival eTap AXS?
Also I was wondering, if the different cockpit designs between the CF and SLX would limit the possible riding positions. I read somewhere that the SLX cockpit was designed for the more advanced rider using a more aggressive position. While the CF cockpit design facilitates rather "middle of the road" positions.
Kindly share your view.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Greg1183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Many thanks, Ian!
I will surely go for the electronic shifting. Do you have a preference between Shimano Di2 vs Sram Rival eTap AXS?
Also I was wondering, if the different cockpit designs between the CF and SLX would limit the possible riding positions. I read somewhere that the SLX cockpit was designed for the more advanced rider using a more aggressive position. While the CF cockpit design facilitates rather "middle of the road" positions.
Kindly share your view.
Cheers

Greg1183,
The CF and the SLX are completly different bikes. The SLX cockpit is not designed for a more advanced rider and the only "aggresive" aspect of that front end is that the arm pads don't go as wide as the CF. If you'd like me to spec an SLX for you let me know. I'm about to jump on a plane and can't pull up all my data sheets but I'll be back online in ~15 hours.
I prefer Di2 over eTap but I could be VERY wrong about that. They both are excellent and since it's been a while since I've ridden SRAM I can't really speak to that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Yes, please spec an SLX for me. Thank you!

Did I understand you correctly, that also the SLX could be setup rather conservative for me to start with - similar to the CF? I understand the restrictions with regards to pads width and have read that this could cause usability issues for some riders. About how much is that width difference between the SLX and the CF?

Many thanks for what you're doing here in the forum!
Cheers
Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Greg,
Let me start by saying... good on ya for commit to owning a tri bike and racing on one. I think you'll be shocked/thrilled at the ease in which you can go faster. You're pretty leggy for a guy your height so I'm gonna speculate that your Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 655mm and your Pad X ~470mm. These numbers represent where your aerobar arm pads will need to be for the bike to fit you - there are other factors of course like seat height, set back etc. But that stuff is far easier obtain - it's the pad position on a tri bike that's critical. We (bike fitters) use these numbers to prescribe not just the size of frame but also the "front end configuration": stem length, stem pitch, spacers under stem, spacers under pads, etc. etc. This way we know what will be required for the front end to meet you where you want to be.

So, the Canyon Speedmax CF (in any build) in a size Medium is right for you and the numbers I'm suing (655/470) are conservative to start with but also place you nicely central to the range of this front end to up/down/fore/aft quite a bit for you to ride anywhere in that neighborhood.

The Medium will come stock with an 80mm stem - that's perfect for you. There will be a 25mm spacer under the stem - leave that there too. And in a box within the bike box there will a series of spacers and bolts for you to adjust the aerobars up or down to find a perfect fit. If I were to make any other suggestion it would be this.... get the Di2 bike. There are perhaps more advantages to riding an electric shifting triathon bike than any other bike and it'll be easier to adjust the aerobar extension with the Di2 bike than with the mechanical bike.

Get back to me here if you have more questions.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Yes, please spec an SLX for me. Thank you!

Did I understand you correctly, that also the SLX could be setup rather conservative for me to start with - similar to the CF? I understand the restrictions with regards to pads width and have read that this could cause usability issues for some riders. About how much is that width difference between the SLX and the CF?

Many thanks for what you're doing here in the forum!
Cheers

Greg,
If you got an SLX it too would be a size Medium, you'd use the Mid spacer (that typically comes prebuilt into the bike when it comes out of the box) and I suspect that you'd push the pads forward to ~75% of the forward range.

I've worked in and around bikes for decades and in the past 20 years very specfically to fit. I've paid very close attention to how the term "aggressive" is used in context and here's what I think most folks mean when they use "aggressive":
1) Aggressive seems to almost always mean a low front end. So "I don't want to be too aggressive" = "I don't want to ride folded up at the hip with a flat back and having to crane my neck way up to see safely up the road". To this meaning I say - I've guessed you at 650mm of Pad Y (or, in this case - arm pad height) the medium SLX goes down to 580ish and that's LOW, that's aggressive. It also goes up to 690 do you have up to 40mm of pad height to lighten up on your agressive position.
2) I also sometimes see folks worrying about the cockpit being too long so they have to enguage their cour a great deal to sustain a stretched out position. I like to see athletes ride with their elbow eighter directly under their shoulders so that the upper body is resting on their humerus bone like a pillar. But I'm good with a little forward advancement of that pad position but not a lot. Your range is 410 to 480 - that's gonna give you lots of options.

The pad width thing comes down to this... some folks come into triathlon from a crossfit backgorund or some other activity that has resulted in very limited range of motion (sometimes but not alwasy tied to big shoulder muscles) - and they simple can't stay comfy in on the SLX, in the widest position for 20min in aero. There's also a ton of folks with good shoulder mobility who are super happy to ride a narrow pad position. I haven't measured the max pad width of the CF but not only can you move the pads themselves out wider on that bike but also the aerobars (that the pads are mounted on) can be loosened on the round base bar and the whole aerobar can be slide wider taking the pads with them to a pretty extreme width that only a small fraction of the tri population might need.

Keep the Q's coming, I'm here for 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian - the arm pad reach you are working on and canyon provides on tehir geometry pages is it to the back of the pad or to the centre?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello there Ian. I am looking to upgrade to a Speedmax CFR. Here's my info:

Height: 184cm
Inseam: 86cm
Fit info:
Pad X (to back of pad) 468
Pad Y 690 per fit, but I've been riding around 650
Saddle height 785

From looking at Canyon geometry, I'm debating between M & L. At first I thought standover on L would be an issue, but am no longer concerned about that. I'm concerned the base bar on M is way low, L would be better there (frame stack much closer to what I'm used to). I'm also looking for a stable bike, so the added wheelbase of the L would help there. Would very much appreciate your thoughts and advice.
And thanks for doing this!

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
Ian - the arm pad reach you are working on and canyon provides on tehir geometry pages is it to the back of the pad or to the centre?

R2, Canyon uses the rear of the pad for they're Pad X (Pad Reach if we have to but it creates confusion).
Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ever feel useless, imagine being a paid FB ad for a Canyon Speedmax 🤣🤣

Last edited by: Mulen: Feb 13, 23 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MRandall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,

So looking at the geometry chart (CFR), I just realized that the frame stack listed (dim I) is not measured from the BB, but from axle. So stack BB is this dim I plus the BB offset L. This makes the frame stack (599), so the L basebar stack would be approx 589 or so I'm guessing, about what I'm used to. So I'm still thinking L is best for me, as it comes with short stem in the US, correct? The M comes with short stem, and I would need long stem I think. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Regards,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MRandall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,

So looking at the geometry chart (CFR), I just realized that the frame stack listed (dim I) is not measured from the BB, but from axle. So stack BB is this dim I plus the BB offset L. This makes the frame stack (599), so the L basebar stack would be approx 589 or so I'm guessing, about what I'm used to. So I'm still thinking L is best for me, as it comes with short stem in the US, correct? The M comes with short stem, and I would need long stem I think. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Mark,
YIKES!!!! I have a whole bunch of answers here they come..
1) Stack is a term of art. Stack is an agreed upon term - it was invented (along side Reach) by a guy named Dan Empfield who is also the father of Slowtwitch. Calling a distance from the axle to the top of the head tube "stack" is like saying "the speed of light is my favorite flavor".
2) I went and looked at the geometry chart of the CFR and.... god bless it, that drawing does look like it's from the axles!! That's horrifing.
3) I'm sure the stack numbers listed are from the BB and they drawings went awry.

This last bit isn't listed as #4 because it's critially important to your mission here; figuring out which size Speedmax CFR is right for you. DO NOT get bogged down in Stack in Reach on this or any tri bike. Those numbers will not help you in finding the right size . All we need is your Pad Y, Pad X and Seat Height. If you've got a tri bike that fits you pretty well - just pull the numbers off it and let me know. See video below to do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

If you only have a road bike - give me your overall height, inseam length, and saddle height from the road bike. If you've never hand a tri bike and you're away from your road bike then just send me overall height, inseam length, and any oddities that might influence your fit.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm after a bit of assistance/conformation of sizing for the Speedmax CF SLX 8 eTap. The sizing guide on the website has me as a small but as I'm currently riding a Ceepo Katana in a large and previously a large Planet X many moons ago I thought I'd double check.

I'm 182cm tall, with a saddle height from BB of 740mm and 905 from the top of the pedal and inside leg of 790mm with 172.5 Rotor cranks/2Inpower

I have a Pad X of 410mm and Pad Y of 640, and 460mm and 650 mm taken to the centre of my Aerocoach pads.

From the BB line to buttons on TT bars it's 740mm and I have 45mm behind BB to saddle tip.

Standover on the Ceepo is 798mm which is just touching so with an 816 on the medium and 797mm on the small again another vote for a small.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/advice.

Pete

5x IM
25x70.3
3x World Champ qualifier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian for getting back to me.

I think you missed my post on Feb 11, but here's my info again:
Pad X: 468 (back of pad)
Pad Y: 690 (though I've been riding 650 comfortably)
Saddle Height: 785

I was only referencing frame stack because I was concerned about base bar height, and my thinking is size L is much closer to the height I have on my cervelo, I'll call it bar stack, and it's about 590. The other points I mentioned in earlier post, I'd like a bike more stable vs twitchy, so longer wheelbase of the L would be better for that than the M, right? And I think with a M, I would need a longer stem, which doesn't come on the bike in the U.S.

Thanks again,
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Looking for some help to identify the right sizing, but don’t know any of my numbers other than height and inseam. What else do I need, and how can I determine them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Been reading through the great info in this thread. Super useful.

I'm looking at the SLX and just looking to check the sizing. I seem to have an especially high seat compared to a lot. Measurements from my current set up. Been looking at the geometry charts, looks like a large with long stem but would love a sense check!

Height 188cm
Seat height 859mm
Pad X 475mm
Pad Y 680mm

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Lloydy75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi,

I'm after a bit of assistance/conformation of sizing for the Speedmax CF SLX 8 eTap. The sizing guide on the website has me as a small but as I'm currently riding a Ceepo Katana in a large and previously a large Planet X many moons ago I thought I'd double check.
I'm 182cm tall, with a saddle height from BB of 740mm and 905 from the top of the pedal and inside leg of 790mm with 172.5 Rotor cranks/2Inpower
I have a Pad X of 410mm and Pad Y of 640, and 460mm and 650 mm taken to the centre of my Aerocoach pads.
From the BB line to buttons on TT bars it's 740mm and I have 45mm behind BB to saddle tip.
Standover on the Ceepo is 798mm which is just touching so with an 816 on the medium and 797mm on the small again another vote for a small.
Thanks in advance for any guidance/advice

Pete,
No doubt... the right Canyon Speedmax SLX is a size small, short stem, mid spacer, medium extension. It's perfect.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian for getting back to me.

I think you missed my post on Feb 11, but here's my info again:
Pad X: 468 (back of pad)
Pad Y: 690 (though I've been riding 650 comfortably)
Saddle Height: 785

I was only referencing frame stack because I was concerned about base bar height, and my thinking is size L is much closer to the height I have on my cervelo, I'll call it bar stack, and it's about 590. The other points I mentioned in earlier post, I'd like a bike more stable vs twitchy, so longer wheelbase of the L would be better for that than the M, right? And I think with a M, I would need a longer stem, which doesn't come on the bike in the U.S.

Mark,
I did miss the Feb 11 post, I'm sorry. Thanks for putting me back on track.
While you could fit on a size Medium Speedmax CFR... the size Large is much better and that's not even taking in to consideration the wheelbase, etc. For the CFR size Large you'd need the short stem, mid spacer, medium extension - your Pad Y of 690 and Pad X of 468 puts you in the exact center of this bike's range. If you're in the USA those bits will be on the bike when you pull it from the box. Too easy!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next