Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which saddle did he use during the fit?

What crank arm length did the fitter suggest?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Opdefiets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Opdefiets,
The pictures help me so much, thank you. You're position looks really good and no - I don't think you'll go out much longer. The M SLX will go out to Pad X of 463 with the short stem. The M SLX will go out to a Pad X of ~483 with the long stem.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, he used an ISM TT. As far as crank he didn't suggest any changes, but is on 172.5s. I recommended he go to 160-165 for cranks. Not sure he will.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Height 182
Inseam 84
Arm pad 38

I have never ridden a tri bike, only Cervelo S3 road bike of size 58, which fits me perfectly. Plan to order Canyon Speedmax SLX 8. Their website says I shall be okay with M, although my friend who is of 189 cm says he would opt for XL instead of his L (recommended). Which other body measurements shall I provide so you could help me with the right sizing of Speedmax bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bumping this up again and including a my road bike fitting incase any of that information helps in your recommendation..

Hey Ian,

I have recently made an order for a new Canyon Speedmax CFR Di2. I do not have a prior tri bike fitting to use and canyon sizing calculator has me on a small or with a minor increase in either height/inseam on a Medium. My height is 5'-10" and inseam 33". I have no idea what my X&Y dimensions are although canyon did spec out a short stem & Medium bar length to suit.

I decided to order a Medium as i was thinking small would not be the correct size, Does this seem incorrect?

Happy Christmas / Holidays
Last edited by: sandskieran: Dec 27, 22 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BBursey199] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi -

I've had a bike fit done and picked up a CF 8 Disc in size small. I've got longer legs and shorter torso, and currently have terrible flexibility that I'm working to address, so reach was a bit compromised. While I work on flexibility, what are my options for armrests that will allow mounting a little rearward on the PD Subsonic brackets? Any other feedback on things to consider?

Bryan,
The shortest Pad X on a size small CF with a 70mm stem is ~387mm. That's pretty short however, the combo of long legs, short torso, and tight posterior chain can result in the need of a short Pad X.

Typically I'd just say - get a shorter stem! The Canyon V21 Stem really does fit nicely on this bike. You can go to another stem, there are tons of 60mm stems with 1 1/18 steer tube and 31.8mm bar clamp - that's what you've got on your bike, and that's the most common in the industry now so plenty of options to being it back 10mm. The ONLY sticking point might be how the back the V21 stem goes with the front of the top tube storage box. Lots of "mortal" stems have clamp bolts that will interfere with the storage.

So then I have to consider - based on the other back-n-forth on the thread - is the saddle your riding down forcing you back farther to find comfort and if you had that saddle you like (or another) would you sit forward more with comfort, in a spot that gave you more power and - in doing so - provide a cockpit requirement that was even longer than what you have now?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [sandskieran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

I have recently made an order for a new Canyon Speedmax CFR Di2. I do not have a prior tri bike fitting to use and canyon sizing calculator has me on a small or with a minor increase in either height/inseam on a Medium. My height is 5'-10" and inseam 33". I have no idea what my X&Y dimensions are although canyon did spec out a short stem & Medium bar lenght to suit.
I decided to order a Medium as i was thinking small would not be the correct size, Does this seem incorrect?
Happy Christmas / Holidays

sandskieran,
Lots and lots of folks can fit on two sizes (some folks on three). Based on what you've given me here: 5'10" and long legs (and based on what you've left out: no description of life altering injury) you're a normal human with long legs. I'm guessing your Pad Y should be in the neighborhood of 637mm and your Pad X is roughly 465. A Speedmax CFR, size Medium with the short stem (comes stock like that in USA) and a medium extension is right for you. The bike will arrive with the medium aerobar pedestal installed. Ride it a while. If you want the aerobars higher by a little bit add either the 3 or 6 degree wedge (not both) for tilt and it'll raise it a hair. If you want the bars a lot higher you can put in the high pedestal with a tilt wedge and you're set. If you ride lower you can drop to the short riser. You'll have a lot of room to play with up/down of the arm rest. You'll also be able to move the pads fore/aft 35-40mm and that'll give you some range to make the front end perfect. The medium is a good call.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Jdkjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Hi Ian,
Interested to know, how far you can get my fit.
Reach back of pad 525mm
Stack pad 560mm
So very long and low. Long torso, very short legs
Thanks

Jdkjr,
You ride a bike where pretty much no else rides a bike. You are an extreme outlier. Take a look at this article and plot your 560/525 on the graph to get a sense of what I'm saying https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ld_Example_6852.html

The best (and nearly only) bike that would fit you is a Canyon Speedmax SLX rim brake in a size small. You'd need to ride slammed with a long stem and you'd be within 5mm of your desired Pad Y/X.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Dec 30, 22 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

Thank you for your feedback and i appreciate the second opinion as i wrestled with the decision for quite some time. After a few hundred miles i will go back to my fitter with it for minor adjustments.

Since reaching out to you i have read through this forum and found numerous inquires similar to mine in which you give the same advice.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey, Ian. A friend is looking at the Speedmax 8 CF. Here are the fit measurements from his last fit. I see a medium for him, but just wanted to see if it was correct before he orders, IF they ever come in.

lonniecdams,
Okay so... Pad Y of 642, Pad X of 415...
Canyon Speedmax CF... both the Small and XS will work and work well. I'd probably lean to the small just to have less spacer/pedestal so that the bike handles a hair better. It's nice to have two sizes from which to choose as availability is still tough.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Takhir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Height 182
Inseam 84
Arm pad 38

I have never ridden a tri bike, only Cervelo S3 road bike of size 58, which fits me perfectly. Plan to order Canyon Speedmax SLX 8. Their website says I shall be okay with M, although my friend who is of 189 cm says he would opt for XL instead of his L (recommended). Which other body measurements shall I provide so you could help me with the right sizing of Speedmax bike?

Takhir,

I'd like to know the seat height of your road bike. Can you provide me that?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian -

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The bike is new to me and I haven’t spent enough time on it yet to know that I need a shorter stem - just didn’t like the starting point to be out of range with no option.

As you suggest, hopefully the combo of steeper seat tube angle, the right saddle, and then some extra flexibility will work out. In the meantime, I found some info suggesting that the Tri Rig wing extenders will work with the PD pad bracket, so I’ll pick up a set of those to give me some extra adjustability.

Cheers,
Bryan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Jdkjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jdkjr wrote:
Hi Ian,
Interested to know, how far you can get my fit.
Reach back of pad 525mm
Stack pad 560mm
So very long and low. Long torso, very short legs
Thanks

Looks like you can do this on a Scott Plama 6, both on a small or medium. Might be the only current bike that can fit you. Or look at the smaller sizes of a Speedmax CF and see if you can achieve it with a long/low aftermarket stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big boy,
Thanks for chiming in. Guess that confirms what I was thinking. I just found orbea is the other best option similar to plasma.
And indeed Iain, you can add me to those outliers.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year, Ian and all!
Thinking about ordering a Speedmax CFR but would like to understand maximum possible pad width first. Read somewhere it was very narrow.
Thanks
Dimm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,

I'm scrambling trying to find a bike and am looking at the CF 8 or CF SLX 8. Could I get your input on sizing? My dimensions are below.

Stack: 739
Reach: 502
Saddle Height: 825

I think in the long run I may end up longer and lower (this is my first tri back in a decade and am just trying to get back into it).

I attached my fit report below if that helps.

Thank you so much for your help!!

MB

MB,
Lot's of good info, thank you.
I have a life mission to reduce the confusion between the terms Stack and Reach - terms used to describe the top of the head tube on a bicycle and "Pad Y / Pad X" which speak to the back of the arm pad on a tri bike. Very different things, thanks for putting up with my policing these terms of art.
I do wish Retul wouldn't lean into the confusion with "Pad Stack and Pad Reach" - but...now, finally, rant over.

With these numbers Pad Y of 739, Pad X of 502 and SH of 825...
If you got the SLX it would be would have to be an XL, the short stem will work and you'll need the high spacer, mid extension

If you got the CF it would be a size Large, 90mm stem that comes stock and ~45mm of arm pad pedestal.

And, yes you could go lower and long in the future with both of these prescribed bikes.

Side note here... I read your entire fit report (and saw pics). 170mm cranks are not short enough for you. You should be riding 160s probably (165 if you had to). That move alone (to 160) would increase your seat height to 835, your pad elevation would then be 80mm of drop (rather than 70) - and maybe you'd go longer maybe not. The reason I say this is because your there's too much flesh meeting up at the top of the pedal stroke. Shorter cranks would open that hip angle for less impingement and you'd flow over the top of your pedal circle with greater easy/speed.

Ian

Ian,

Haha, I’m happy to be policed when I’m mistaken. My work also has a lot of misused but important descriptors so I couldn’t relate more. Best of luck on your mission to civilize!

Thank you so much for the sizing recommendations. If I did shorten my crank, would that affect what size I should by or is there plenty of room in the envelope?

Thanks again,
MB
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thinking about ordering a Speedmax CFR but would like to understand maximum possible pad width first. Read somewhere it was very narrow.
Thanks

Dimm,
That number is 175mm center to center.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mrboomerang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you so much for the sizing recommendations. If I did shorten my crank, would that affect what size I should by or is there plenty of room in the envelope?

MB,
Same sizes, same front end prescriptions with the shorter crank.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendation. Happy new year!

MB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Thanks

Dimm,

Ian

Thanks, Ian.

I am 193cm tall, 94cm inseam. Pad X 456mm to back of pad, pad Y 707mm, saddle height 830mm (with 172.5mm cranks). Would CFR size L work for me?

I am worried about 175mm max pad width as on my previous bike the width was 215mm (I am tall with relatively broad shoulders). I am not sure I will be comfortable at 175mm, and I suspect this offers little aero advantage in my case.

Would appreciate your advice.

Dimm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, Happy New Year! I reviewed your video on XY and wondered if you could help me. I'm a long time Argon18 Rider currently on the 2018 E118 Next. I'm looking at the Speedmax CF SLX for 2 reasons
1. Its more up to date and integrated.
2. I am hoping that the Bull bars will be slightly higher for comfort as I get older.

My current size is Small with the Following XY
Reach 460 (X) and Height of pads above BB (Y) 660. I often go up 10mm further for Ironman.
Seat Height 720 above BB and I ride 165mm cranks.

My Body height is 174cm and my inside leg is 82cm.

I Spoke with Canyon and they asked me to measure my Forearm (Elbow to held pen) and this was 35cm. Based on this they recommended Medium with Short Stem and medium extensions. Does this sound about right?

Finally I have broad shoulders, will I be able to spread out the arm cups at all?
Thanks Don
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Thanks

Dimm,

Ian
Thanks, Ian.

I am 193cm tall, 94cm inseam. Pad X 456mm to back of pad, pad Y 707mm, saddle height 830mm (with 172.5mm cranks). Would CFR size L work for me?

I am worried about 175mm max pad width as on my previous bike the width was 215mm (I am tall with relatively broad shoulders). I am not sure I will be comfortable at 175mm, and I suspect this offers little aero advantage in my case.

Would appreciate your advice.

Dimm

Dimm,
For the CFR the size Large is the right choice... along with the short stem, mid spacer with a tilt wedge (mostly likely), and probably the long aero extension. The fit of the bike is very good for you. The pad width is a problem for some and that can be resolved a few ways: one would be a arm cup from TriRig or Profile Design that's a bit wider so that your forearms can roll out and gain a few mm on both sides. The other would be - and I haven't done this yet, but expect to soon - roll the bike into a machine shop and have a plate made to sit between bottom of the arm cup and the top of the mount. Another option is to get the Speedmax CF - size large as well. The front end on that bike has a great deal of adjustability and could more easily accommodate your broad shoulders.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [donryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, Happy New Year! I reviewed your video on XY and wondered if you could help me. I'm a long time Argon18 Rider currently on the 2018 E118 Next. I'm looking at the Speedmax CF SLX for 2 reasons
1. Its more up to date and integrated.
2. I am hoping that the Bull bars will be slightly higher for comfort as I get older.

My current size is Small with the Following XY
Reach 460 (X) and Height of pads above BB (Y) 660. I often go up 10mm further for Ironman.
Seat Height 720 above BB and I ride 165mm cranks.

My Body height is 174cm and my inside leg is 82cm.

I Spoke with Canyon and they asked me to measure my Forearm (Elbow to held pen) and this was 35cm. Based on this they recommended Medium with Short Stem and medium extensions. Does this sound about right?

Finally I have broad shoulders, will I be able to spread out the arm cups at all?
Thanks Don

Don,
Happy New Year to you as well and thanks for posting here.
Your morphology (long legs) your pads are in a spot that is a hair higher and shorter - not outlandish, lots of folks ride there. You can fit on two sizes of the Canyon Speedmax SLX (and CFR).
If you get a Medium... yes to short stem, mid spacer, medium extension - all of that is correct.
If you get a Small... you'd have to get the long stem (additional purchase in USA currently) and the high spacer and basically you'd be up against the limits of the bike's fit ability - which I don't love. I still think you could go up another 7-10mm as you mentioned but there's not a single mm longer. The Medium is the right call!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for responding. That clears it up for me. Medium it is. Now I just need them to restock the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [donryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas to get the computer screen closer to your hand for easier viewing? I am using the Canyon sold mount currently, but I notice Patrick Lange has an angled mount (probably 3d printed?) and Daniel Baekkegard has some type of extension paired with the Canyon mount to push it forward.

Appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next