Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Jasop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am looking into a couple bike fitters here in Oregon area so I don't just jump into an expensive purchase without the proper information on fit. One in Portland (https://www.outputspeedlab.com/about) and one in Eugene (https://www.hutchseugene.com/...s/bike-fit-pg147.htm) both are similar in price but have different adaptive fit bike systems. Do you recommend either? I see that outputspeedlab has trained under your supervision!

Thanks for the help,
JP

JP,
I've trained a lot of fitters over the years and Josh at Output SpeedLab is one of the best. You will get everything you need from him.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Pekko11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if you could give me your prescription with just my height (168cm) and inseam (78cm) for CF 8 disc. I am between XS and s on canyons website, and I wouldn’t want to ride with 650b sized wheels.

There are unfortunately no openings for bike fitting in Finland for the next two or so months and I don’t have a previous tri-bike where I could measure pad y and pad x. I used to ride felt b14 51cm, but have already sold it, so no use from that bike either.

Pekko11,
Judging from your morphology I'd guess that your Pad Y is roughtly 595 and your Pad X is around 445. Based on that the proper Canyon Speedmax CF would be a size Small (The XS won't work for you with the 70mm stem that comes stock you'd have to get a 90 to get the cockpit length correct). You'l probably ride the Small with only the low spacer (or maybe even slammed) but it'll look great and you'll have lots of room to move the pads fore and aft to find your spot.

One of the super cool things about this bike is tha tyou can detail the tilt of the aerobars to perfection as they are clamped on a round base bar and you can adjust them quickly and easily to find what you love. I'd set them at a 3 degree tilt first and then with each rise bring them up a tiny bit 'til you find a spot that feels best.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jsg88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am in the process of purchasing a new speedmax, I have been eying the CF8 for a while now. Like others I am on the fence around sizing, based on the the fit tool Canyon provides my recommended size is a Medium. But a centimetre or so more and the tool puts me up a size to Large.

Height - 184 cm
Inseam - 89 cm
Saddle Height - 78.5 cm (road bike)

Unfortunately I moved on my past Tri Bike (med, Shiv) before taking any measure of cockpit geometry to ensure that the medium is going to work so I am a little nervous hitting the go button. Bike fitters with access to fit bikes are few and far between so validation that the medium is the right starting point for me would be appreciated, apologies I can't give you more to go on

jsg88,
You've got super long legs. I'm thinkin' your Pad Y is roughly 665 and Pad X is near to 500. The Medium is the right bike for you... The pad up/down measurement is right in the middle so I have no doubt you'll find your perfect stop in terms of pad height or "drop". However... That bike comes stock with a 80mm stem. The cockpit distance is the mystery to me now. I think you'll need to push the pads out 90% or even 100% to get the fit right. If you find you want even more... just get a 90mm Canyon V21 stem to get the length you need. If you're in the USA and Canyon doesn't have one of these DM me as I have a couple in my fit studio.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Howdy Y’all,

Ian Murray here - fit instructor at both the Slowtwitch F.I.S.T. bike fit school and at the Guru Academy.

I’ve created this thread in a Canyon endorsed capacity to help prescribe the proper Speedmax for you: not just the size of bike, but the front-end configuration as well. That means the length of stem, shape of base bar, amount of arm pad pedestal, etc. to make the Canyon you buy the best it can be.

If you are looking to buy a Canyon Speedmax and you want to make sure you get the right size, touch base right here on this thread. Best practices are for you to post your Seat Height, Pad Y, Pad X (AKA Pad Stack, Pad Reach) and I will prescribe the proper Speedmax for you. If you don’t know your Pad Y & Pad X then let me assist you in identifying those coordinates.

Happy to help, Ian

Hi Ian,

Amazing thread and thank you for the time giving feedback about sizing !

I would like to benefit from your expertise too (even if I know that nothing replace a proper fit).

Looking to buy the 2022 Canyon CF(8) so wondering which size would be better. Height is 185cm, inseam 86.5cm with saddle height on a road bike at 76.6mm for years on road bike without too much issue.

Don't have the Pad Y & Pad X as it will be my first Tri bike. Not sure that will help but I am riding (road bike) since 25 years (started at 16) and compete 12y from 16 to 28 so I think I have a "more aggressive" position compared to most people (like to be in the drops) while my flexibility could be better. I will use the tri bike for long events (half and Ironman)

Thanks in advance !
Last edited by: claiie: Apr 2, 22 19:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Looking at ordering the new Speedmax cf slx in medium. Can you check below for me and advise what options I should choose at ordering stage ?

Height 184cm
78.5cm saddle height on giant trinity.
20mm setback to nose of ism ps1.0
Pad x -475mm
Pad y -640mm
Both to rear of pads. Pads setup with wedges centre approx x-520 y 650

Ideally would want to go longer as already have elbows towards front of pads, and probably would go a bit higher.

Thanks Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [claiie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Amazing thread and thank you for the time giving feedback about sizing !

I would like to benefit from your expertise too (even if I know that nothing replace a proper fit).

Looking to buy the 2022 Canyon CF(8) so wondering which size would be better. Height is 185cm, inseam 86.5cm with saddle height on a road bike at 76.6mm for years on road bike without too much issue.

Don't have the Pad Y & Pad X as it will be my first Tri bike. Not sure that will help but I am riding (road bike) since 25 years (started at 16) and compete 12y from 16 to 28 so I think I have a "more aggressive" position compared to most people (like to be in the drops) while my flexibility could be better. I will use the tri bike for long events (half and Ironman)

Thanks in advance !

claiie,
This is a lot of good info....with your morphology (long legs for your height) I'm betting your Pad Y is very close to 655mm and your Pad X is likely 490. So the proper Canyon Speedmax CF for you would be a Medium. The stock stem that comes on the that bike is an 80mm and that'll work for you but you'll likely push the pads one or two holes past the center. I also think you'll only need the 25mm spacer under the stem and no aerobar pedestal but you can tweak that to find the exact spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BenNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian

Looking at ordering the new Speedmax cf slx in medium. Can you check below for me and advise what options I should choose at ordering stage ?

Height 184cm
78.5cm saddle height on giant trinity.
20mm setback to nose of ism ps1.0
Pad x -475mm
Pad y -640mm
Both to rear of pads. Pads setup with wedges centre approx x-520 y 650

Ideally would want to go longer as already have elbows towards front of pads, and probably would go a bit higher.

Ben,
Makes perfect sense to me that you'd want to go a hair higher and a bit longer. I'll use Pad Y of 650 and Pad X of 495 as my inputs and be sure to pay attention to a mid range so you have room to move easily in any and all directions.

The Speedmax SLX has a max Pad Y of 483. If you think 483 would satisfy your Pad X then get the Medium but you have to get the long cockpit to make it work (short cockpit maxes at 463). The Y is not an issue, you're right in the middle of the mid spacer. I like this option the best but because of bike availability I'll go one more step to what will also work....

If you got a size Large you'd still need the long cockpit and you'd use the low spacer - you'd still have room to go 25mm lower and up a great deal.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the feedback and answer, really appreciate it !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian that’s the summary I came to as well. Good to confirm.

I was only able to order a medium when they were last available so will need to make it work.

Any ideas on additional bracket options to make pad x longer? I’ve seen a couple of pros with forward sloping mono risers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks in advance for the help.

I’m in the process of purchasing the Speedmax CF 7 Disc Etap and I’m caught between the Small and Medium size. I’m 1,76m tall and 82,9cm inseam. Saddle height 72,8cm. I don’t have pad stack and reach unfortunately. I'll be using the bike for half and full distance Ironman races.

I do suffer with some back of the neck and trap muscle soreness when riding over 70km on my road bike.

Thanks,
Marc
Last edited by: marcfouche: Apr 28, 22 4:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian.

I am currently working with a Canyon Speedmax SLX 2020 and want to get the arm pads wider (24cm pad center to center). Even at their widest setting the pads are sitting at ~20cm c to c.

Is there a way to get the pads wider? The available adjustment seems pretty limited!!

Thanks,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [marcfouche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks in advance for the help.

I’m in the process of purchasing the Speedmax CF 7 Disc Etap and I’m caught between the Small and Medium size. I’m 1,76m tall and 82,9cm inseam. Saddle height 72,8cm. I don’t have pad stack and reach unfortunately. I'll be using the bike for half and full distance Ironman races.

I do suffer with some back of the neck and trap muscle soreness when riding over 70km on my road bike.

Marc,
You've provided some great info here, thank you. Based on what you've said I suspect your Pad Y to be about 620 and your Pad X to be roughly 475. You should get a small and here are some of the reasons why...
1) The seat height on the small will give you more options with water bottle storage behind the saddle if you so choose
2) The Meidum Pad X bottoms out at 630 - I think you might ride at 620 but I could be off + or - 15mm so imagine if you can ride at 605 but have to live at 630 - ugg!

Here's the only draw back on the small and the resolution: the Pad Y of the small maxes out at ~468. I'm thinking you might ride out at 475 (again + - 15mm). If you do need/want to ride longer you can pull the 70mm stem that comes stock on that bike and go to an 80 or 90mm and get all the length you need.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the prompt response, Ian. This is a big help!

My concern with a longer stem for the small is that they are very hard to find (i'm UK based). I struggle with a tight neck so does that mean the shorter my pad Y is, the more aggressive my position will be and therefore more strain on back of my neck? If this is the case, I don't think I would go lower than 620mm so the Medium would be good, right?

Thanks once again!
Marc
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [marcfouche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response, Ian. This is a big help!

My concern with a longer stem for the small is that they are very hard to find (i'm UK based). I struggle with a tight neck so does that mean the shorter my pad Y is, the more aggressive my position will be and therefore more strain on back of my neck? If this is the case, I don't think I would go lower than 620mm so the Medium would be good, right?

Marc,
You've hit on the two critical bits that suggest the medium is the best bet - supply chain issues in the bike biz are serious and yes, a longer stem might be tough to acquire. Also, while I guessed your Pad Y lower you can protect that whole upper back/neck area with a slight higher pad height. Get the medium, you'll be perfect on it.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [CreepinTortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

As of now I don't know of an official Canyon part to get wider. I have seen atheltes that needed expansion walk into a fabricator (machine shop) so them the issue and come away with a piece that will satisfy. If something changes on my end I'll let you know.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Dave,

As of now I don't know of an official Canyon part to get wider. I have seen atheltes that needed expansion walk into a fabricator (machine shop) so them the issue and come away with a piece that will satisfy. If something changes on my end I'll let you know.

Ian

Thanks, appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant thanks Ian, just placed my order :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Brilliant thanks Ian, just placed my order :)

Marc, thrilled for you. Post up a pic when you get it set up!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting a Speedmax CF 8 Disc.

My fit measurements are as follows:

Saddle height (BB to top of saddle): 76.5cm (on an ISM PL 1.1)
Setback: 5.7cm
Saddle to Pad height difference: 8.5cm
Tip of saddle to centre of pad: 50.5cm
Centre of pad to end of aero extension: 30cm

Those are the measurements I got from my bike fit. The Stack was a starting point and I would likely look to come down from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Pad stack is 770 (15 degree rise - front of pads is 755)
Pad reach is 553 to back of pads
Seat height 854.
Gap between pads (inside to inside) 147

I’m a shade under 6’5” with longer legs proportional to height, particularly lower legs. Currently riding a 2012 Specialized Shiv S-works XL.

The Canyon website tells me I should get a L rather than XL frame, but I’m not convinced.

Thanks for your advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I purchased a Canyon Speedmax CF CLX 8.0 SL, on 9/15/21. Size Small. It is for sale.

I absolutely love the bike, but did not know this thread existed before I purchased. It is one size too small. I will be getting the exact same bike, just one size bigger if I can find it in the secondary market, or if I can not find it there will have to get the latest edition.

Since I am brand new to the site and in my two week holding period before I can post on classifieds, Slowman and I discussed and he said to post here until that holding period is over.

I have exactly 800.2 miles on it.

Jan - 70.6
Feb - 203
March - 221
April - 251
May - 55.6

It is in perfect condition. Pics and specs attached. I truly hate to sell it I love the bike, it is juts a smidge too small for me at 6'0.

Thanks,

Woody
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [colewoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

After reading some of your posts in this thread. Maybe I will not have to sell it, maybe I just think it feels small......

I should have went and gotten professionally fit. The canyon measurement system recommended me a size small. I was shocked, thinking it would put me at a medium.

A professional triathlete friend of mine came over and tried to size me, with a disclaimer that he is no fitter by any means, and we decided it was too small.

Attached are a few pics from the gulf coast I did May 7.

Wonder what info I could get for you to determine if it is in fact too small?

Thank you!

Woody
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [E1ghtball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am looking at getting a Speedmax CF 8 Disc.

My fit measurements are as follows:

Saddle height (BB to top of saddle): 76.5cm (on an ISM PL 1.1)
Setback: 5.7cm
Saddle to Pad height difference: 8.5cm
Tip of saddle to centre of pad: 50.5cm
Centre of pad to end of aero extension: 30cm

Those are the measurements I got from my bike fit. The Stack was a starting point and I would likely look to come down from there.

E1ghtball,
These are all good and help me get an idea of how you comport yourself on the bike. I really want Pad Y and Pad X (and maybe that's on your fit sheet - could be labled as Pad Stack and Pad Reach). If not, then I want to know your height and inseam length and I can combie those with the numbers above to give you a confident answer on not only the size of Speedmax CF but also the front end configuration that you'll need.

Wait, hold on, I forgot.... EVEN BETTER would be this: measure your bike like this and let me know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Greg17815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Pad stack is 770 (15 degree rise - front of pads is 755)
Pad reach is 553 to back of pads
Seat height 854.
Gap between pads (inside to inside) 147

I’m a shade under 6’5” with longer legs proportional to height, particularly lower legs. Currently riding a 2012 Specialized Shiv S-works XL.

The Canyon website tells me I should get a L rather than XL frame, but I’m not convinced.

Thanks for your advice!

Greg17815,
I don't know how I missed this one, I'm sorry about the late reply.

First things first... the Speedmax CF is your only option. The SLX (and CFR - same geometry) won't meet your coordinates. The CF has to be an XL and even then... you will need to push the pads out 100% with the 90mm stem that comes stock to get your VERY long Pad X of 553 (PS. I would have put your Pad X at ~520 based on morphology....so... a curious number to me). Pad Y of 770 is perfect as is seat height. You're all set on this bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [colewoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woody,

How tall are you? What is your inseam? Are you a normal, healthy person or did you survive some disastrous trauma thing like a plane crash that left you with numerous fused vertebrae? Let me start there with some basics and then I can make an assessment on your bike situation.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next