Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Again thank you for your time and the interesting advice.

So you confirm that I need a size L instead of a size M that was recommanded by Canyon's PPS. I understood that it is because with the M size it is not possible to achieve the Y 666mm that I need. Do you confirm ?
Consequently, I will follow your recommandations and go for a size L, flat bar (I prefer the estehetic), short stem, 60mm spacer and the TSP. Just to clarify, on my case the TSP is used to move back the pads, do you confirm? Could you precise as well how many milimeters back?

I didn't find any clear description of what has been changed between the 2018 and 2019 slx versions. I understood by reading previous posts that it was the cockpit and notably the pads position. Could you confirm and complete if I missed something else. For my fit, which version you think is the better ? I would be curious that you flesh out the 2019 version just to compare.

Wil
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Wiltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

Again thank you for your time and the interesting advice.

So you confirm that I need a size L instead of a size M that was recommanded by Canyon's PPS. I understood that it is because with the M size it is not possible to achieve the Y 666mm that I need. Do you confirm ?
Consequently, I will follow your recommandations and go for a size L, flat bar (I prefer the estehetic), short stem, 60mm spacer and the TSP. Just to clarify, on my case the TSP is used to move back the pads, do you confirm? Could you precise as well how many milimeters back?

I didn't find any clear description of what has been changed between the 2018 and 2019 slx versions. I understood by reading previous posts that it was the cockpit and notably the pads position. Could you confirm and complete if I missed something else. For my fit, which version you think is the better ? I would be curious that you flesh out the 2019 version just to compare.

Wil

Wil,

Sorry I wasn't more clear and keep coming back with more questions when you have 'em.

The 2018 size medium will in fact get to a Pad Y of 666 but you'd have to use the rise bar and a single 60mm spacer + two 5mm spacers. For the 2018 Speedmax SLX you, like many folks, can fit on two different sizes of the bike and you can fit on both a medium and a large.

Regarding pad placement, the TSP on the size large - it will be used to move the pads back farther than the stock mounts. If the Pad X I came up with is right then you'll use the TSP and then mount the arm pad in the back most holes of the pad (which pushed the pads as far forward as they will go on the TSP). I cannot be precise on the number of mm back for two reasons: 1) I don't know if you're a guy who likes having your elbows hang off the back of the pads a bit or if you like them in the center of the pads or somewhere in between 2) The Pad X I gave you is from a formula and it's not as precise as a real bike fit from a legit fitter.

Regarding the 2019 SLX - using the Pad Y of 666 and the Pad X of 505 - on this bike it has to be a size large (you cannot fit a Pad Y of 666 on a medium). So it's a size large, short stem and 35mm of pedestal. The differences between the 2018 and 2019 are pretty much all about the way the aerobars attach to the base bar: the 2019 uses just one pedestal riser while the 2018 bike used two towers. Also the 2019 has only the flat base bar and the rise bar - and switching from bar to bar has no effect on the amount of spacer required to achieve your desired Pad Y.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I am 100% clear.

Thanks again and have a nice end of year.

Wil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably no chance I make a move from my Da, but if I did the SLX does speak to me. I'll probably be sticking with my current fit numbers for the foreseeable future, but would like some range to work with in the Y dimension in case I decide to make some changes down the line. Also, David and I spoke about this a while ago, but the front end has changed a bit since then. Not sure if the fit range has.

Pad Y 535-598
Pad X 487 BOP
Pad Width 165
Saddle Height 685

ETA: Forgot about saddle setback, and not sure if that is knowable, but I need/like to be -72mm

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 30, 18 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stack 691
Reach 534

I definitely want the ability to go lower as I loosen my hamstrings. This is based on a 165 crank.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Probably no chance I make a move from my Da, but if I did the SLX does speak to me. I'll probably be sticking with my current fit numbers for the foreseeable future, but would like some range to work with in the Y dimension in case I decide to make some changes down the line. Also, David and I spoke about this a while ago, but the front end has changed a bit since then. Not sure if the fit range has.

Pad Y 535-598
Pad X 487 BOP
Pad Width 165
Saddle Height 685

ETA: Forgot about saddle setback, and not sure if that is knowable, but I need/like to be -72mm

LAI,

I'm gonna tweak your back of Pad X @ 487 to center of Pad X @ 537 'cause that's the point to which Canyon measures. That Pad Y is a healthy 63mm range! This is gonna cause me to do some work and I'm willing! Here we go...

Firstly, regarding the 2018 bike...
To tell this story I need to split the huge Pad Y range into a couple of different versions with smaller ranges:

Lowest Version: the lowest a 2018 Speedmax goes is a Pad Y of 545. With a Pad Y of 545 or 550 you MUST be on a size small, flat bar, long stem, the TSP (Team Switch Plate) set up in the "make my cockpit longer position" and then pads moved forward nearly as far as they will go.If the lowest Pad Y of 545 is the goal then it's slammed (read: no spacers), and if you're gunning for a Pad Y of 550 then it's a single 5mm spacer.

Upper Options: if the Pad Y is 555 to 600 (and, again, this is 2018 we're talkin' here) then you can go one of 3 ways:
1) see "lowest version" above: small, long stem, TSP, pads fwd, then just more spacers to get on up to desired height.
2) size medium, drop bar (covering 555 (slammed), 560 (+5), 565(+10)), long stem, hold for news on the Pad X*
3) size medium, flat bar (covering 570 (slammed), keep adding bits 'til 600 which requires a single 20 and two 5mm spacers), long stem, hold for news on the Pad X*
*here's the news on the Pad X - if you stayed with the stock arm pad mounts you could get to 536 in Pad X (Typically I'm good with 1mm of wiggle room). If you absolutely had to have that mm or more then you'd need the TSP again to get beyond 536 in Pad X.

Now, let's talk 2019 Speedmax SLX for you....

Lowest Version: the lowest a 2019 Speedmax goes is a Pad Y of 565. With a Pad Y of 565 to 590 you MUST be on a size small, flat bar (or raised bar, but I'm guessing flat 'cause: a- aesthetics and b- it comes stock), long stem, the TSP for longer cockpit and then pads set at center. If the lowest Pad Y of 565 is the goal then it's slammed, and if you're gunning for a Pad Y of 590 then it's 25mm spacers, and you can hit every 5mm increment between.

Or.....: the entire range of the Medium is 595 to 650 so if you wanted a Pad Y 595 or 600 this will work and....flat bar, long stem, pads in stock mounts and nearly centered. 595 is slammed and 600 is, as you'd imagine, built with a single 5mm spacer.

Let me know if I created any questions in all that blather, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Pad Y 535-598
Pad X 487 BOP
Pad Width 165
Saddle Height 685

LAI,

I'm gonna tweak your back of Pad X @ 487 to center of Pad X @ 537 'cause that's the point to which Canyon measures. That Pad Y is a healthy 63mm range! This is gonna cause me to do some work and I'm willing! Here we go...

Firstly, regarding the 2018 bike...
To tell this story I need to split the huge Pad Y range into a couple of different versions with smaller ranges:

Lowest Version: the lowest a 2018 Speedmax goes is a Pad Y of 545. With a Pad Y of 545 or 550 you MUST be on a size small, flat bar, long stem, the TSP (Team Switch Plate) set up in the "make my cockpit longer position" and then pads moved forward nearly as far as they will go.If the lowest Pad Y of 545 is the goal then it's slammed (read: no spacers), and if you're gunning for a Pad Y of 550 then it's a single 5mm spacer.

Upper Options: if the Pad Y is 555 to 600 (and, again, this is 2018 we're talkin' here) then you can go one of 3 ways:
1) see "lowest version" above: small, long stem, TSP, pads fwd, then just more spacers to get on up to desired height.

Now, let's talk 2019 Speedmax SLX for you....

Lowest Version: the lowest a 2019 Speedmax goes is a Pad Y of 565. With a Pad Y of 565 to 590 you MUST be on a size small, flat bar (or raised bar, but I'm guessing flat 'cause: a- aesthetics and b- it comes stock), long stem, the TSP for longer cockpit and then pads set at center. If the lowest Pad Y of 565 is the goal then it's slammed, and if you're gunning for a Pad Y of 590 then it's 25mm spacers, and you can hit every 5mm increment between.

Let me know if I created any questions in all that blather, Ian

Pad X COP is ~532, so we're close enough with 537. Also, that Y is a lot because it has worked throughout that range:

26mph @212w

25.4mph @193w

And the latest incarnation that feels fast and powerful

Those Pad Y's are 535mm, 560mm, and 598mm, respectively. Anyhow, it seems that to keep my options open I am looking at the Small version in either year, but to get close to my Y range spread I need to be on the 2018 Small, which doesn't seem to be available anymore. Do you know the narrowest one can place the pads? Probably not a huge concern as I can adjust width with Glen's cups if I keep my 15º arm tilt. Thank you for the exercise, seems like I have some options with Canyon.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [drseamus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Stack 691
Reach 534

I definitely want the ability to go lower as I loosen my hamstrings. This is based on a 165 crank.

Thanks!

drseamus,

Good on you for the 165 crank. If, for some reason, your Canyon Speedmax arrives with a crank of a different length get back to me and I can a) help discuss the ramifications of changing and b) discuss on the proper changes to maintain seat height if you choose to stay on that different crank. That said....anybody who comes at me with confident Pad Y and Pad X as you have may already be knowledgeable in these areas :)

For the 2019 Speedmax SLX....I want you to go lower. I'm not 100% sure that speaks to looser hamstrings but the highest Pad Y the 2019 Speedmax will achieve is a 585 (only 6mm off your number). That bike will be a size Large, you can go with the flat bar or the rise bar, you'll need the short stem, 55mm of spacer, and the pads pretty much dead center. The spacers are incremental so you can simple remove them piece by piece as you want to drop lower from that max height of 55mm.

For the 2018 Speedmax SLX...you're a size Large, with the rise bar, short stem, a single 60mm spacer, and pads pushed forward one hold back from max. This results in a Pad Y of 690 (you can go as high as 710 on this bike) and a Pad X of 534.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're waiting for the new Speedmax SLX to become available in the US.....I couldn't help but notice that in stock now is the

Canyon CF 8.0 LTD in XS, S, M, and L (in the "stealth" color-way) and M, and L in the blue. This is the Ui2 bike with 40mm deep front and 80mm deep rear race wheels (Zipp in this case). There's a women's version too in XS and M - each at $6,000

Canyon CF 8.0 SL in M and L in both the stealth and blue; this is the Ultegra mechanical group again with what looks like a 48ish front and 80ish rear race wheel (DT Swiss in this case) - at $3,999

Canyon CF 7.0 in S, M, and L in stealth, XS, M, and L in blue. This is the 105 build with standard wheels at $2,599

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible wrench in the plans which I should have mentioned from the get go but sometimes I'm not smart. The seat height is 70.5cm along the seat tube and the saddle is -5mm with an Adamo PN 1.1 saddle. Would I be able to get the seat that low on a large? The canyon was my first choice but I didn't think it would fit me so this is very helpful.

Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Thanks for your input here. I've read this thread with interest.

I purchased a Medium Canyon Speedmax CF in the autumn and had it professionally fitted. In the past few weeks I've been experimenting with set-up and comfort on the trainer.

It's my first TT bike so obviously there's going to be a period of adjustment. The one issue I'm wrestling with is base bar width and elbow pad width. As currently set up (based upon the bike fit), the elbow pads obstruct the hands/arms when using the bullhorns. It's not impossible to ride with on the trainer but I wouldn't want to ride a long mountain climb nor tackle a fast descent on the bullhorns with what is an awkward and unnatural grip. I tend to seek out bike courses with lots of climbing as it suits my riding background.

It seems to me that I have 2 options i) move the elbow pads and extensions inboard thereby narrowing the grip or ii) keep the pad spacing as per the bike fit and go for a wider base bar.

Looking at many images of Speedmax set up (and TT in general) most seem to have plenty of room between the outside edge of the elbow pad and the bullhorns. Have you seen a similar problem with set-up and would there be any downside to simply moving the pads/extensions inboard to address the problem? I'm now experimenting with the latter to determine comfort in this narrower position.

Many thanks.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [PaulEaston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the elbow pads obstruct the hands/arms when using the bullhorns

Paul, I believe I get your meaning here. I think what's happening is that when your hands on the bull horns (near the brakes) the outer edge of the arm pad is pressing/rubbing against your forearm. I've seen this before, it's unacceptable, there are two ways to solve this:

1) Peel the arm pad off of its velcro base, take careful note of which holes are occupied by the two bolts, and move the arm pads closer to the stem (move them inward) one hole. Try the position on the bull horns again and see if you've solved the problem. If not move them in another hole.

2) Loosen the entire clip-on aerobar assembly from the base bar. There are two bolts that clamp the aerobar onto the base bar. And move each aerobar towards the stem slightly and re-tighten to spec's. This moves the arm pads in and the aerobar extensions as well.

You can even consider a combo of both of these actions since the arm pad holes are a fixed move the clamp can be controlled to a fraction of a millimeter.

Now, there are ramifications to both of these actions which you're already aware of - no matter which you chose you have just narrowed the arm pads. The concern here is that in the aero position, super narrow arm pads can have an effect on the back of your shoulder. I don't know how broad you are in the upper torso/shoulder area, but your pads are extremely wide right now if they are rubbing on your forearms when near the brakes so I assume the pads are at their maximum width. I'm willing to bet you can handle them a bit narrower. My guess is that your fitter was so focused on comfort while in aero that they failed to acknowledge the issue when your hands were at the braking/cornering/descending/climbing out of the saddle position.

So you're trying to balance these issues: moving the arm pad base away from forearms but not so far that you are uncomfortable when in the aero position.

Try the above first and if it doesn't work get back to me and we'll discuss other options.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Thanks for the insights. It's good to know that my current predicament isn't unique!

I took steps 1) and 2) at the weekend and have completed a couple of sessions on the turbo. It's a massive improvement when riding on the bullhorns - considerably more comfortable and a position I think I will be able to put power down when climbing outside. Although the longest session was only an hour I rode around 80% of that aero and didn't notice a major difference with the narrower pads when aero. I'll continue with the narrower set-up and then discuss when I follow-up with the fitter in the Spring.

As for the saddle, well that's another story! I'm hoping that it's just a case of getting used to a TT set-up and being perched on the nose v a regular road saddle. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on how well suited you think the Fizik Mistica is as a long course saddle. Right now I'm searching for a position which I can sustain without shuffling around every few mins.

One thing for sure is that the Speedmax feels a whole lot more comfortable in the aero position compared to the aero hack set-up I've been running on my road bike for the past 3 seasons. Can't wait to get outside and see what difference it makes (it may be some time as I live in the Highlands of Scotland and right now the garage is the safest place to be).

Thanks again. Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [PaulEaston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's a massive improvement....

Paul, Music to me ears!!! Thanks for your response!

Quote:
how well suited you think the Fizik Mistica is as a long course saddle.

Well, there are many who love that saddle, but if you don't then nothing else matters. This is a CRITICAL piece of equipment on your bike, and there's no other way to solve than to have a bunch of saddles put under you - while in your position - to see what feels best. Make some calls to shops, discuss your issue and find one that will either let you try a demo or sell you a saddle that you can exchange in a week or so 'til you find the best one. I want to suggest you stay in the tri saddle category so Cobb V-Flow, V-Flow+, V-Flow Max, JOF 55 (which seems similar to the Misitca but isn't), and the line of Adamo's too. Also, this probably goes without say but I gotta check the basics.....bike short, maybe some lube (A&D ointment or Chamois Butter or the like), no undies so there are no seams involved, etc.

Quote:
One thing for sure is that the Speedmax feels a whole lot more comfortable in the aero position compared to the aero hack set-up I've been running on my road bike for the past 3 seasons

Yeah, the triathlon position is real, and Canyon makes a bike so good you'd think it could win 4 Ironman World Championships in a row.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [trikent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would appreciate help with finding my coordinates and then see if I have the right bike.

Kent,

I'm scrolling back through this thread and I'm worried I dropped the ball on your post. I'm so sorry. Let's get after it.

I've done this before here, and I want to do it again if you can survive some possible redundancy... I want you - not just on the perfect size bike - but in the perfect position. To that end the best way to go is to have an educated, experienced fitter who has a dynamic fit bike to do a complete pre-fit on you. You'll walk away with both the prescription for purchase AND the coordinates for the final fit. I'm willing to research and make a recommendation in your area. If this appeals to you give me your city and I'll see what I can do. If a complete pre-fit is too much (travel, money, time. etc) then the next best option is this: if you own a tri bike now (one you're looking to replace with a Canyon), and you like the position for that old tri bike then I can walk you through a way to measure two pieces of that bike and we can use those numbers for your Canyon purchase. Baring that (so now we're down to the third best option), give me your overall height and your saddle height on current bike (road or tri) and let me go to work with those numbers. If that's not an option then head over to Canyon's PPS (Perfect Position Service) and plug in your body measurements and order from there.

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [drseamus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The seat height is 70.5cm along the seat tube and the saddle is -5mm with an Adamo PN 1.1 saddle. Would I be able to get the seat that low on a large?

Jeremy,

I had to connect with my engineer buddy in Germany for this and I finally got an answer. The lowest seat height on the Large is gonna be 728. For you to get to 705 it would have to be the Medium.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone refer me to a Canyon knowledgable fitter in the San Diego area? I went through the fit process with a local guy who knew next to nothing about Canyons. I'm fairly certain my cockpit setup needs much tweaking. I am also working on a smaller 165 or 170mm crankset (I'm 5'10") as my SLX came with 175's. Right now I cannot get enough degree of angle between my chest and thighs when in the aero bars to fully oxygenate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the follow-up Ian. Would a medium work for my stack/reach still? I've got my bonus burning a hole in my pocket and canyon is my first choice.

Jeremy
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [lutador72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Can anyone refer me to a Canyon knowledgable fitter in the San Diego area?

Lutador72,

Reach out to JT Lyons at Moment Bicycles. He's a phenomenal bike fitter, and can help you make this bike an extension of your body. His shop is located at 2816 Historic Decatur Rd. in San Diego and his number is 619-523-2453.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:
Can anyone refer me to a Canyon knowledgable fitter in the San Diego area?

Lutador72,

Reach out to JT Lyons at Moment Bicycles. He's a phenomenal bike fitter, and can help you make this bike an extension of your body. His shop is located at 2816 Historic Decatur Rd. in San Diego and his number is 619-523-2453.

Ian

Much appreciated, Ian! Moment Bicycles isn't too far from me. I'll look him him today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for your help!
Here is what I know about my current bike, a P3.
Saddle height is 790
Arm pad stack is 690
Arm pad reach is 465
Saddle to arm pad drop is 100
170 crank
I'm 6' tall, long legs and arms, short torso.
I did buy the med Canyon CF SLX. Changed the 175 crank to a 172.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle height is 790
Arm pad stack is 690
Arm pad reach is 465
170 crank
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [trikent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Saddle height is 790
Arm pad stack is 690
Arm pad reach is 465
170 crank

trikent,

Mmmmm, good info! Let's say for a moment that the old bike had the perfect position and you wanted to re-create that with your new 2018 Speedmax SLX in size medium. You'd set the Speedmax up level in a trainer and put the saddle where it belongs: 790 in seat height and the appropriate set back. Positioning the saddle is the FIRST thing we do in terms of getting your fit situated. Then, for you to get your Pad Y at 690 and your Pad X at 465 you'd need:
1) Rise Bar*
2) Short Stem
3) TSP*
4) A single 60mm spacer* + a single 20mm spacer
5) Pad all the way back

*All these items are after-market. You need to purchase them from Canyon. AND....even if/when you do the Pad Y will not come out where you're old bike was at 690, the tallest the pads will get on the 2018 Speedmax SLX is 675 and that's with the Rise Bar and 60+20 spacers.

I've never seen you in this position but there's some evidence that suggests to me that you might be able to get away with a Pad Y that is lower than your current 690. You have 100mm of drop on the old bike which is ~12.5% of seat height and typically we see folks with a bit more. Also, you're using shorter cranks now, and that might provide some of the hip freedom necessary to be happy with lower pads. Two quick asides: 1) the tallest the pads will get with a flat base bar is 650 I just want you to have that so you know all options, and 2) for you to get a Pad Y of 690 on what is prolly a 56 a P3 with a stack of 540 ...hmm...I'm imagining 30+ mm of spacer under stem, a stem that's pitched up in the air at...at...+6deg? and then Pads that are 50mm above base bar. That's a bit more construction than I like to see. I'm glad you got a new bike.

As to the Pad X - the shortest the 2018 Medium will go is 462 - this requires short stem, TSP, and pads back all the way. I think each screw hole in the pads moves 'em 5mm so you can either go 462 or 467, your call.

Thanks for the info, I enjoy this process.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Really great you are putting all this work into helping everyone with this. I am currently riding on a Giant Propel which I have converted to a triathlon bike with clip on handlebars etc. Obviously not optimal so now looking into buying a Canyon Speedmax. See below my specs

Length: 182cm
Saddle hight: 810mm
Pad stack: 669mm
Pad reach: 440mm (I know this looks very short, but because the sadle of my propel can not get more to the front, it is so short. My saddle setback is 90mm, which is far from optimal for me. adding this to the reach and elimination the saddle setback would result in a pad reach of 530mm)
Saddle setback: 90mm
Drop saddle to bars: 100mm
Crank: 165mm

What would be the best options for me? Much appriciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Laurens4790] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Really great you are putting all this work into helping everyone with this. I am currently riding on a Giant Propel which I have converted to a triathlon bike with clip on handlebars etc. Obviously not optimal so now looking into buying a Canyon Speedmax. See below my specs

Length: 182cm
Saddle hight: 810mm
Pad stack: 669mm
Pad reach: 440mm (I know this looks very short, but because the sadle of my propel can not get more to the front, it is so short. My saddle setback is 90mm, which is far from optimal for me. adding this to the reach and elimination the saddle setback would result in a pad reach of 530mm)
Saddle setback: 90mm
Drop saddle to bars: 100mm
Crank: 165mm

What would be the best options for me? Much appriciated!

Laurens4790,

You and I agree that this position isn't optimal. I'm deeply reluctant to prescribe a new bike purchase off of those numbers. I'd like you to fitted by a legit fitter. If you want to do that let me know the area in which you live and I'll recommend a fitter. If that's not an option then I'm gonna take your height of 1820mm and your saddle height of 810mm and come up with a Pad Y of 647 and a Pad X of 503. I'm more confident in that than your current 669/440. If my numbers are right then you'd have two options in the 2019 Speedmax SLX:

1) Size medium, either bar (flat or rise), 55mm of pedestal, short stem and pads dead center in the stock mounts.
--or--
2) Size large, either bar (flat or rise), 15mm of pedestal, short stem, and pads back almost all the way.

I'd recommend the large.

Let me know if you have more questions, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next